• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If I arrive to SJPdP @ 8.45 will I get to Roncesvalles too late?

B.E

Time of past OR future Camino
The French Way June 2017
Hey!
I arrive at 10pm on a Sunday in Bayonne and from my research I have gathered that there are no trains/buses to SJPdP until monday morning... I am worried by the time that I leave SJPdP - I wont make it to Roncesvalles with enough time to grab a bed or even in daylight hours... I can't afford to stop before as my friend is due to meet me in an exact location in 6 days. Has anyone began walking later than 9.30am on the first section of the walk?(SJPdP-Roncesvalles) I want to enjoy it and go at my own pace but I am walking alone and a little nervous about arriving in the dark or not having a place to sleep...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Sounds to me like you are looking for trouble; of the entire Camino, this is the hardest section to walk...
I am no hero; on May 17th I will start from SJPP to Orisson and continue the next day to Roncesvalles.

You are a wise one....lol. We split it up last year SJJP to Orisson then next day to Roncevalles and were very glad we did. The trek up to O'Cebreiro was no easy trek either.
Buen Camino !!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am in the same boat. I am staying in Bayonne the night of May 28th, and arrive in SJPP on the first train on May 29th, roughly 8:35. I will visit the Pilgrim's office, grab some food and start walking. I am staying at Orisson the first night, so I am not pressed for time. Even if I start at 10:00, I should be at Orisson by 1:00 at the latest. - Buen Camino - Steve

You know your own limits, but I hope you understand that you are setting yourself up for a very stressful day. First, you are assuming that you arrive "on time" to SJPdP. Even if you start walking when you expect to, you are committing yourself to a long, hard hike the very first day. The weather is most unpredictable late in the day -- at a time you will be very tired. I don't know whether Roncevalles is filling up or not, but it's another 3+ km to the next village.

Is there any way to adjust your meeting with your friend? You may enjoy your start to the Camino a little more. Whatever you decide, Buen Camino.

My 2015 Brierley guide gives an equivalent distance of SJPdP to Roncevalles of 32 km. An equivalent distance lengthens the real distance so the time to walk that equivalent distance on a flat road is about the same time as walking the real road with its elevation gains. Brierley also gives as a guide that a fast walker goes at 5 kph, an average pace being 4 kph and a leisurely pace is 3 kph. From that information and a guess at how many rests you will want you can take a stab at whether you can complete the trip.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's very difficult to say as we each walk at different speeds. I must have left at 7am, arriving around 4pm, but I'm a slow walker amd struggled in the forest on the way down as I'm not very coordinated and realy need to see where I step. I also only stopped for walker and huffing and puffing.

Others zoomed ahead of me, stopped for a picnic, etc.

Hey!
I arrive at 10pm on a Sunday in Bayonne and from my research I have gathered that there are no trains/buses to SJPdP until monday morning... I am worried by the time that I leave SJPdP - I wont make it to Roncesvalles with enough time to grab a bed or even in daylight hours... I can't afford to stop before as my friend is due to meet me in an exact location in 6 days. Has anyone began walking later than 9.30am on the first section of the walk?(SJPdP-Roncesvalles) I want to enjoy it and go at my own pace but I am walking alone and a little nervous about arriving in the dark or not having a place to sleep...

I would allow 10 hours from SJPdP to Roncesvalles. Your only constraint is sunset. The last bit is under trees and not viable in the dark. 0845 departure should get you to Roncesvalles by 1900.

Amazing responses thank you everyong for taking the time to help me out! I have made the decission to stay in Orisson and break it up! Bonus, my pal is totally cool about waiting for me in Logrono for a night :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Amazing responses thank you everyong for taking the time to help me out! I have made the decission to stay in Orisson and break it up! Bonus, my pal is totally cool about waiting for me in Logrono for a night :D

Logrono in 6 days? If you stay in Orrison its minimum 8 days.

Logrono in 6 days? If you stay in Orrison its minimum 8 days.
Yikes, okay, hopefully she can reach me by bus... I thought I would maybe be able to walk beyond the more popular stops...push past zuburi to Larrasoana, push past pamplona to Cizur Menor....Los Arcos to torres del rio.... ect. Does that sound at all doable?

Yikes, okay, hopefully she can reach me by bus... I thought I would maybe be able to walk beyond the more popular stops...push past zuburi to Larrasoana, push past pamplona to Cizur Menor....Los Arcos to torres del rio.... ect. Does that sound at all doable?

I can't answer. I would only consider it if I were really fit. If you don't know then my guess is you've never tried walking 165 km in 6 days.

Brierley's suggests 7 days from SJPdP to Logrono and does not include a break at Orrison.

Estellesa provides bus service to villages along the road from Pamplona to Logrono.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I managed Viana, which is just short of Logrono, in 6 days...but my feet resembled hamburger as a result. And not that trendy artisan hamburger you hear about but the hamburger made from all the bits you don't want to think about.
My 2011 edition of Brierley has Larrasoana and Cizor Menor as the day 2 and 3 stops, so definitely possible to do that and actually you're only looking at about 22km for each (from memory). After that you'd need to start putting in some serious clicks to get to Logrono in another 3 days

My 2011 edition of Brierley has Larrasoana and Cizor Menor as the day 2 and 3 stops, so definitely possible to do that and actually you're only looking at about 22km for each (from memory). After that you'd need to start putting in some serious clicks to get to Logrono in another 3 days
I see 90 km from Cizor Menor to Logrono or 30 km per day (19 miles)

make sure you reserve a bed at Orisson; it's a small place. By the way, Logrono is just about the ugliest town along the camino. last year I stayed at Viana, a few km before Logrono; a lovely little town...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am in the same boat. I am staying in Bayonne the night of May 28th, and arrive in SJPP on the first train on May 29th, roughly 8:35. I will visit the Pilgrim's office, grab some food and start walking. I am staying at Orisson the first night, so I am not pressed for time. Even if I start at 10:00, I should be at Orisson by 1:00 at the latest. -

No need to rush out of St Jean if you are stopping in Orisson. I didn't leave until after 11:00, and arrived early afternoon. Spend some time exploring St Jean, have a coffee, etc.

.. I thought I would maybe be able to walk beyond the more popular stops...push past zuburi to Larrasoana, push past pamplona to Cizur Menor.
Those are the early stages I'm planning, including skipping Roncesvalles and continuing on to Espinal, since I'll have a head start at Orisson.

My 2015 Brierley guide gives an equivalent distance of SJPdP to Roncevalles of 32 km. An equivalent distance lengthens the real distance so the time to walk that equivalent distance on a flat road is about the same time as walking the real road with its elevation gains. Brierley also gives as a guide that a fast walker goes at 5 kph, an average pace being 4 kph and a leisurely pace is 3 kph. From that information and a guess at how many rests you will want you can take a stab at whether you can complete the trip.

The last 4 km of the hill I did 1 kph! So they are just estimates!

Book a place for the night so you don't have to worry about a bed and it gets dark later at night this month so you should be good. There are taxi's in Roncesvalles you can call to pick you up and take you the last few kms if you get stuck and you are on a strict deadline!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

That's wise because you do not dictate to El Camino .... it dictates to you :D:eek:

Okay great, I guess I can only take it as it comes! I leave in three and a half weeks and I am going through a lot of emotions! Mostly excitement though! Thanks again for the advice! <3

No need to rush out of St Jean if you are stopping in Orisson. I didn't leave until after 11:00, and arrived early afternoon. Spend some time exploring St Jean, have a coffee, etc.

Those are the early stages I'm planning, including skipping Roncesvalles and continuing on to Espinal, since I'll have a head start at Orisson.
I agree with Trecile. If you have made the decision to stop at Orisson, why not explore St. Jean . I rushed out at 9:45 to make sure of arriving at Roncevalles before dark. It Was a big effort, both up and down, but I arrived at 5:15. I wish there had been some time to explore St. Jean, which seemed charming. In any case, take some energy bars with you, as Orrisson is the only stop along the way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back