• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"If I die in the next month....

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
you're all to still go and do that walk!"
So said hubby when he hopped off his bike after riding home from work tonight.
The Camino was my idea, but I daresay he's totally on board with it now - and he's making sure the kids all know it! Gotta love him and hope the worst does not happen (I did not ask if he had a close shave on the bike!!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you divide the number of pilgrims who walk by the number who die on the Way (I think I've got that the right way round) you are more likely to die in the place where you live while riding a bike.

Make sure you have good travel insurance. Keep your wits about you. Don't walk when excessively tired. Take on board plenty of water. Read this forum for advice (there is actually too much of it if the truth be told).

If you start from SJPPP and the pilgrim office tells you not to walk, then take their advice even if you lose a few days.

I have serious medical problems and while I have had a couple of scares it is now more than 1500 miles on the Camino over 9 trips (including SJpdP to Finisterre in one go in 2004), so tell your family you will be coming back thinner, fitter and spiritually alive.

The only thing that they have to worry about is that they will die of boredom as you tell them in great detail of what you have seen, heard and experienced. That's the truly dangerous part of the Camino.

ps. added as an edit. And having had a quick glance at your blog why are you worrying?

as a 65 year old the above question is one I have had to come to terms with, when I first walked in 2009 I was just happy and a little relieved to just get those first two day's out of SJPP having been informed ( thanks Sil) that 22 people had died in the last 20 years walking the route napoleon but I made it to Compostela albeit with stomach ulcers having overdosed on anti-inflammatory's and ibiprophens the last few days trying to decide if it was stomach pains or a heart attack-the Camino is dotted with memorials of people who have died on the way,just what you need as you huff and puff as you pass them.
but it was in 2010 having walked from Le PUY in April and then the VDLP in September that I entered a place of peace and acceptance of my own mortality while taking a rest alongside a memorial to a Dutch guy my age and thinking that life had been good 2 ex wives 5 great kids 4 grandchildren and a life lived to the max though the late 60's were a bit blurred :wink:
so I continue to walk,a week on Sunday I start from Rome heading for Santiago and if I should die before I sleep know that I did it with a smile in my heart and a curse on my lips.
Ian

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
sagalouts said:
I start from Rome heading for Santiago and if I should die before I sleep know that I did it with a smile in my heart and a curse on my lips.
Ian
I agree. Dying on Camino is dying in style. I think the OP was about dying before you even get to the Camino, in which case you might consider doing the ashes thing like in the film 'The Way'. If anyone hasn't seen it, the dad leaves parts of his son's cremated body on the waymarkers and other places along the Way. Do make sure the body has been cremated first though.

Buen Camino!

My mom and I had a long talk about death when I first started traveling. Not only the potential for my death but what my reaction would be to deaths of people I know - i.e. would I return or not.

The consensus was that odds are good that I will die relatively young and somewhere far away from the US, possibly before my mom. She wasn't happy about that, but she's resigned to it. Accordingly, she has a file with all my financial and personal info in it so she can manage things should the worst happen.

The second agreement was that, with the exception of her death an depending on my location at the time, I would very likely not return to the US in the event of the death of a friend or loved one. I'm not a big believer in funerals and wakes anyway and would rather mourn in private in my own way.

Since I started traveling full-time, there has been two deaths. The first was a cousin who was only 2 years older than me (I was 36 at the time) and one of my closest friends when I was young. It was a complete shock and the news was devastating. Fortunately, I happened to be in the US at the time so I was able to attend the visitation, honor ceremony (he was a fire fighter who died in the line of duty) and funeral. The second death was an elderly uncle who had been very sick for years who died accidentally but peacefully. I was traveling at the time and did not return as we had already said our goodbyes.

Anyway, the point of this rambling post is that you should discuss death with your family before any long trip. Not only what do to in the case of your death but what you'll do if someone at home dies. It's better to have plans and expectations in place than to be in the middle of a trip and be freaked out and scrambling to decide what to do.

sagalouts said:
so I continue to walk,a week on Sunday I start from Rome heading for Santiago and if I should die....

Sagalouts, amico. Buona passeggiata & buon pellegrinaggio! Forse troverete la moglie numero tre là fuori. Ma non morire nel tentativoe! (courtesy of Google translate... looks pretty authentic don't you think?)

-Lovingkindness

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sagalouts, amico. Buona passeggiata & buon pellegrinaggio! Forse troverete la moglie numero tre là fuori. Ma non morire nel tentativoe! (courtesy of Google translate... looks pretty authentic don't you think?)

-Lovingkindness
thank you (very authentic)
but I will not be looking for anymore wives,that really would be the death of me. :D
Ian

sagalouts said:

-Lovingkindness
thank you (very authentic)
but I will not be looking for anymore wives,that really would be the death of me. :D
Ian

Lovingkindness, I'm glad sagalouts won't marry you. That still leaves hope for my dream of dreams.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh sorry, I think I did not make myself clear.
It's a month before we are due to leave for our trip. Hubby obviously realised yesterday that perhaps he might be run over by a bus in that time....and if he is, he wants us to go ahead with the trip anyway! Now that is a very uncharacteristic remark of his, but it's nice to know it's what he wants us to do.
As for if we die en route....we do have in place plans for if both us parents accidentally cark it at the same time. A very good friend is willing to drop everything, fly to wherever we are and bring the kids home.
All that said, we're not exactly expecting to face our mortality just yet.

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
The only thing that they have to worry about is that they will die of boredom as you tell them in great detail of what you have seen, heard and experienced. That's the truly dangerous part of the Camino.

My friends are already dying of boredom, and I am not leaving for nine months!......

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
skilsaw said:
Lovingkindness, I'm glad sagalouts won't marry you. That still leaves hope for my dream of dreams.

Dearest Skilsaw ..?¿…å?¿…á?¿…ö?¿…

If you can die for me a thousand deaths and plunder the realms of heaven; if you can carry my soul for ten thousand days without spleen or rancorous fury; if you are as pure as the Light and can sing me a trail in filigree golden with passion; if you can bow the knee to my every need and say ardently, Yes! to my folly [and always foot the bill, I will be very expensive to keep];

I might give your dreams consideration.

Provided there are no ex-current-and/or-pseudo-wives or convoluted ambiguities of a similar fashion lurking in the background, an extended family needing a skivvy, squealing piglets in odourous pigsties or cow-hands clothing in need of regular cold-water scrubbing back home on the prairie.

I do not require a husband.

But, if you think that you meet the criteria (plus everything else on my hidden agenda which I will never disclose) it might be fun to explore the notion together, innocently and chastely in full view of this Forum....

-Lovingkindness

ڝڟێԄ♥ԄѾԄ♥ԄѾԄ♥ԄѾԄ♥ԄѾԄѾԄێ

Valiant Skilsaw, a pardon I pursue.
This troth of thine have I misread and in vanity claimed for myself.
It is not I who is the Lily of your soul, the darling of fair dreams
but Señor Sagalouts who has gladdened thine heart and inspired thee to write so free. My humble apologies….

ڝڟێԄ♥ԄѾԄ♥ԄѾԄ♥ԄѾԄ♥ԄѾԄѾԄLovingkindness

lovingkindness said:
ڝڟێԄ♥ԄѾԄ♥ԄѾԄ♥ԄѾԄ♥ԄѾԄѾԄێ

It is not I who is the Lily of your soul, the darling of fair dreams but courageous wit Sagalouts who has gladdened thine heart and inspired thee to write so free. My humble apologies….

ڝڟێԄ♥ԄѾԄ♥ԄѾԄ♥ԄѾԄ♥ԄѾԄѾԄLovingkindness
Love on the forum is great, but I wonder what the symbol that looks like someone's bottom means? I hope you're genuine in your (potential) affections! Ha ha! :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
lovingkindness said:
how's this?
ڝڟێԄ♥ԄϬԄ♥ԄϬԄ♥ԄϬԄ♥ԄϬLovingkindness?????
Nice! I wasn't complaining about the bottoms, though - just wondering about the symbol. This one looks like a more benign version of the chariot race in Ben Hur. I like it! :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
who said anything about Love? What's that got to do with all this?
...I don't like the colour. It's too bold for gentle sentiment.....
How about this one? I've always wanted a chance to play with this pallete....

ڝڟێԄ♥ԄϬԄΏԄϬԄ♥ԄϬԄΏԄϬԄ♥ԄϬԄΏԄϬ

No? I'll just have to go back to purple...

ڝڟێԄ♥ԄϬԄΏԄϬԄ♥ԄϬԄΏԄϬԄ♥ԄϬԄΏԄϬ

It is not I who is the Lily of your soul, the darling of quaint dreams
but that brawny Sagalouts who has gladdened thine heart and inspired thee to write so free. My humble apologies….

ڝڟێԄ♥ԄϬԄΏԄϬԄ♥ԄϬԄΏԄϬԄ♥ԄϬԄΏԄϬLovingkindness

....NO?....perhaps 'Senor Sagalouts' sounds more refined and in keeping with his true character....I'll alter that...and 'fair dreams' sound less patronising than those that are quaint....how's that?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
methinks it may be time to start walking again LK :) but love the Tina Turner ref,myself I leave to "Ride on the wall of death one more time" Friday and Italy on Sunday and if you'll allow me to mix metaphor's and Language go in search of "La petite mort" in all its forms
Ian

lovingkindness said:
Tina Turner ref? Who's she? Which bit? This is all mine absolutely minnnnnnne!
Tina Turner (the acid queen) American soul/rock singer,famous song "what's love got to do with it"
my ocd involves seeing song titles in everything.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back