• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If I don't stop in Zubiri, What do you recommend?

SirRon

Time of past OR future Camino
May-July 2023
I have booked stops for my first three days of the Camino Frances.
Day 1 SJPDP- Gite Makila
Day 2 Aubergue Borda
Day 3 Hostal Burguete

After that I might just wing it the rest of the way. What I was looking for is advice and where to stop after Burguete. Zubiri is an option but I thought I might want to walk further so I can spend more time in Pamplona the day after that.

Any suggestions? Larrasoana? Zuriain? Zabaldika? And if you have an albergue in one of these towns you like please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I like Albergue San Nicolás in Larrasoaña.

First, Hostal Burguete is quite nice. We requested and stayed in the room Hemingway stayed in when he was there (no more expensive than any other room). Their restaurant was quite good. In particular, the Truite a la Hemingway was delicious. If you lift up the piano lid, you’ll see where he engraved his name. Just a bit of interesting history along The Way.

On my first CF, I walked past Zubiri and stayed in Larrasoaña. A quiet little town, but the Albergue San Nicolas was quite nice. They offered a communal dinner that was very good. According to their website, you need to contact them regarding being able to stay there now. Because we had walked a bit further that day, we were able to get into Pamplona by late morning and have the better part of the day to enjoy the sights and food of this city.

4FDB0E73-1179-4876-BD7C-CC45E2CBD734.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
First, Hostal Burguete is quite nice. We requested and stayed in the room Hemingway stayed in when he was there (no more expensive than any other room). Their restaurant was quite good. In particular, the Truite a la Hemingway was delicious. If you lift up the piano lid, you’ll see where he engraved his name. Just a bit of interesting history along The Way.

On my first CF, I walked past Zubiri and stayed in Larrasoaña. A quiet little town, but the Albergue San Nicolas was quite nice. They offered a communal dinner that was very good. According to their website, you need to contact them regarding being able to stay there now. Because we had walked a bit further that day, we were able to get into Pamplona by late morning and have the better part of the day to enjoy the sights and food of this city.

View attachment 140187
Thank you! Did you request to stay in Hemingway's room when you made the reservation? Or when you got there? I did a lot of Hemingway reading in college and beyond so that's part of the reason I chose to stay there
Thanks to you and @trecile for the Albergue San Nicolas recommendation! Glad to hear about getting to Pamplona by late morning. That's my plan!!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you! Did you request to stay in Hemingway's room when you made the reservation? Or when you got there? I did a lot of Hemingway reading in college and beyond so that's part of the reason I chose to stay there
Thanks to you and @trecile for the Albergue San Nicolas recommendation! Glad to hear about getting to Pamplona by late morning. That's my plan!!
Yes, when I reserved there, I requested the Hemingway room which was confirmed for me prior to arriving. Delightful! If you go back to The Sun Also Rises, it describes his time in Burguete trout fishing. Then, in Pamplona, do visit the Café Iruna which was one of his hangouts.

27DC86A6-5A5B-433F-A062-FBF6D1FF4524.jpegF6087689-A710-4CC7-A3BF-EAA77B0B240D.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stayed in Gite Makila in SJPP - very nice!! I then went to Burguete and stayed at a new albergue called Lorentx - very nice but does not have the nostalgia of the Hemingway hostal. While in Burguete, the Bar Fronton is a good place to grab a bite & a beer- most pilgrims head there. My third day, I stopped in Zubiri so can't comment on further on options - it was snowing and I needed a place to get warm and dry - haha.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We stayed in Urdaniz after Roncesvalles, a little beyond Zubiri. It was really nice, but in April too cold to use the lovely pool.
We loved the meal served at the communal dinner; it was definitely a cut above and beyond the normal fare.
View attachment 140191
Same here although in May I most definitely made use of that pool :)
The Albergue is called Los Alojamientos Acá y Allá and , as joke would have it - it is the place where one "finds Jesus" ;)
Awesome dinner, good breakfast next morning (if you chose to wait) has laundry facilities as well

Attachments

• 20220523_174902.jpg
    20220523_174902.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220523_174923.jpg
    20220523_174923.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 20220523_191221.jpg
    20220523_191221.jpg
    787.1 KB · Views: 36
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We stayed in Urdaniz after Roncesvalles, a little beyond Zubiri. It was really nice, but in April too cold to use the lovely pool.
We loved the meal served at the communal dinner; it was definitely a cut above and beyond the normal fare.
View attachment 140191
Stayed here in Sept 22, delightful accommodation and evening dinner.

albergue San Nicolas in Larasona. One of the best Albergues we stayed in. There is a super shop across the street were the owner has a barbecue going and folks can cook what they buy in the shop... with a great seating area to enjoy any beverages bought in the shop too. It was great few hours....

albergue San Nicolas in Larasona. One of the best Albergues we stayed in. There is a super shop across the street were the owner has a barbecue going and folks can cook what they buy in the shop... with a great seating area to enjoy any beverages bought in the shop too. It was great few hours....
Thanks for this also haha. I have emailed them and confirmed my reservation!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I like Albergue San Nicolás in Larrasoaña.
I stayed there when it first opened. It was a really nice albergue. At the time of my first 2 caminos the municipal in Larrasoana was a total dump. Now I have heard that it was remodeled. The reviews now are excellent so you have two good choices.

If you'd like to venture out of the hotel in Burguete for a meal, Txiki Polit across the street is excellent. Only open for lunch, but coming from Borda, you could arrive in time!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
View attachment 140191
I stayed here in 2021 and it was great! Clean, great hospitality, small pool. Two communal meals (dinner & breakfast). The co-owner/husband runs the food truck right before the descent into Zubiri. He also cooked at the albergue. Highly recommend.

Day 1 SJPDP- Gite Makila
Day 2 Aubergue Borda
Day 3 Hostal Burguete

After that I might just wing it the rest of the way. What I was looking for is advice and where to stop after Burguete. Zubiri is an option but I thought I might want to walk further so I can spend more time in Pamplona the day after that.

Any suggestions? Larrasoana? Zuriain? Zabaldika? And if you have an albergue in one of these towns you like please let me know!

Thanks in advance!
Definitely Larrasoaña and stay at Albergue San Nicolás 👌

Day 1 SJPDP- Gite Makila
Day 2 Aubergue Borda
Day 3 Hostal Burguete

Thanks in advance!
Hotel Burguete a great place. We catch the morning bus to Zubiri and walk away from Zubiri. Pamplona is only about 19km.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I stayed in Gite Makila in SJPP - very nice!! I then went to Burguete and stayed at a new albergue called Lorentx - very nice but does not have the nostalgia of the Hemingway hostal. While in Burguete, the Bar Fronton is a good place to grab a bite & a beer- most pilgrims head there. My third day, I stopped in Zubiri so can't comment on further on options - it was snowing and I needed a place to get warm and dry - haha.
I have booked at Lorentz for this May. My first camino and I've booked for Burguete and Urdaniz instead of Roncevalles and Zubiri.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Zabaldika was one of my favourite albergues and just a short walk (about an hour) from Pamplona so this makes it a very convenient place to stop if you want to have time to explore Pamplona the next day. Zabaldika is not bookable though, it is first come, first served.

Zabaldika has a shared meal and is next door to a beautiful church where you can ring the bell if you are a pilgrim. It also seems to attract the nicest Nuns ♥️.

I stayed in Pension el Peregrino in Larrasoana. Had a private room, shared bathroom, in a lovely house. A little kitchen we could use downstairs, and a nice backyard where we could hang our clothes to dry, and just hang out. The two men who own the place had a new baby, (Sept. 2022), so had their hands full while I was there, but still, were very kind and one had time to pick a whole plate of figs (which I'd never seen growing before then), and deliver them to my room after I'd asked about them. There's a little store/restaurant across the street. Another very nice man named Oliver owns the place. He taught a friend of mine that good friends hug left chest to left chest, so that their hearts touch one another, as is true for GOOD friends. I love that!

Stayed here in Sept 22, delightful accommodation and evening dinner.
I stayed here in 2021 and it was great! Clean, great hospitality, small pool. Two communal meals (dinner & breakfast). The co-owner/husband runs the food truck right before the descent into Zubiri. He also cooked at the albergue. Highly recommend.
I echo these comments: Aca y Alla is definitely worth a stop. Great food, well thought out dormitory and beds, and a terrific welcome. I’m staying there in April - and before that, on the same stages as the OP.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hotel Akerreta is lovely. Wonderful hosts, comfortable rooms and great food. we stayed in September 2019 and highly recommen.

Day 1 SJPDP- Gite Makila
Day 2 Aubergue Borda
Day 3 Hostal Burguete

Thanks in advance!
I stayed in a small town about 2-3 kms after Zubiri called Urdaniz, Navarra, Spain. Hostel named Aca y Alla. Translated to mean here and there. Owner is a chef and will provide great meal for evening and breakfast. For fee, of course. Great showers. Away from the madding crowd. The Camino family started here. Good luck in choosing what's best for you. I made reservations to include Pamplona.

Zabaldika was one of my favourite albergues and just a short walk (about an hour) from Pamplona so this makes it a very convenient place to stop if you want to have time to explore Pamplona the next day. Zabaldika is not bookable though, it is first come, first served.

Zabaldika has a shared meal and is next door to a beautiful church where you can ring the bell if you are a pilgrim. It also seems to attract the nicest Nuns ♥️.

I also stayed at Zabaldika in September 2019. I really enjoyed the communal meal. The church was beautiful and the nuns were so accommodating. Amazing experience. Planning on returning this September, looking forward to staying there again.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Check opening of Zabaldika after winter. Its a long walk up the hill if they are closed!

Day 1 SJPDP- Gite Makila
Day 2 Aubergue Borda
Day 3 Hostal Burguete

Thanks in advance!
I'd also recommend Larrasoaña, plenty of options, but book ahead. I booked my first three nights back in September 2019...in SJPDP, Roncesvalles, then Larrasoaña. After that I also 'winged' it....and had no problems for the remainder of that Camino. I arrived in Zubiri with a group of people that hadn't booked ahead and everything was fully booked there. They had no option but to taxi ahead to Pamplona!!!
It's a pleasant non-too strenuous a walk down to Pamplona from Larrasoaña.Even at moderate walking pace you should be in the city centre for midday.
Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Albergue San Nicolas - Larrasoana is a place where I stayed three times.Ten years ago in this village was municipal albergue.Old church ,small restaurant,nice bridge and river are representative for this part of the camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Walking down to Zubiri and still go on?
I warn you. You will probably suffer from the "Zubiri-Downhill-Syndrome" and just want to lick your knees when (if) you arrive there. This descent is a knee-killer!

Day 1 SJPDP- Gite Makila
Day 2 Aubergue Borda
Day 3 Hostal Burguete

Thanks in advance!
Following this 🥾

Day 1 SJPDP- Gite Makila
Day 2 Aubergue Borda
Day 3 Hostal Burguete

Thanks in advance!
Zabaldika, nice albergue

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back