• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If I have to miss a stage...

JohnLloyd

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2018), Português (2019), Inglés (2022)
...which one should it be?

To explain, I’m three days into a Porto - SdC Camino and I’ve stopped for the day about 15km short of Ponte de Lima.

I had hoped to cover about 25-28km a day and complete it by next Wednesday night/Thursday morning, but a badly timed cough/cold is slowing me down too much to keep to that schedule.

Therefore, I need to make some time up - either by using a bike for a day or two - or - horrors - skip a stage or two by coach.

If I do that, which stages could I skip?

Ta!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi John
First of all, I hope you get better soon :)

Ponte de Lima is a lovely city, you will like it when you get there.

One option to make the trip shorter without compromising on the lat 100km is to bus/taxi from Ponte de Lima to Valenca. That will shorten your trip in 2 stages and still leave you beyond 100km from Santiago. It also make you avoid the Alto da Portela the only (and very complicated) uphill in your route.

On the other hand, if you dont care about the 100km mark and a certificate in the end, I thought the most boring stage were the 32km between Tui-Porrino-Redondela. There is an alternative route to the oficial camino that makes that stage greener, but the normal path goes through a very boring and ugly industrial district.

Hope that helps. Kind regards,
Ana

That’s very helpful, Ana!

I’ve got a Compostela from my Francés Camino last year, so that’s not a major concern, either way.

Given my slightly feeble state, it might be wise to avoid Alto da Portela and use the time to take the greener route you suggest.

Obrigado!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I thought the most boring stage were the 32km between Tui-Porrino-Redondela.

I will be on CP late May. My plan is to walk from Tui to O Porrino (14 km), then to Vigo (16 km) for the night, then to Redondela next day. My plan is to walk a half-marathon a day.

That's a tough question! I enjoyed everyday. But the toughest is the day out of Ponte de Lima - you will not want to bike this difficult climbing day! Don't skip Valenca and Tui. They are both great places! Also after O Porrino, there is a difficult climb, see my day twenty. Maybe ride Redondela to Pontevedra, but spend time in Pontevedra. It is a wonderful city. In fact, all the days after Pontevedra, I would consider riding. They are the least nice and the easiest to ride, IMHO. My day twenty-four from Valga to Milladoiro is a lot on pavement - good to ride instead of walk. And the final nine km into Santiago is mostly pavement as well - with a few hills. Good luck and I hope you make it! Maybe these comments will help!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back