• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If Known Bedbugs, Then What?

nettersweet

Time of past OR future Camino
June-July (2013)
Hello,
Leaving for our camino tomorrow from the U.S. I've read a lot about bedbugs, with one recommendation being to let the hospitalero know if you see any bedbugs. My question is: can the hospitalero do anything once you let them know? If there are bedbugs, it sounds like it wouldn't be the best choice of places to stay. So what have folks done upon discovering bed bugs in an albergue?

Thanks for any widsom you can impart! I'm traveling with my daughter during the crowded season on the camino so I feel a little more protective than usual.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Would you recognize a bedbug if you we're actually able to see one? adults are fairly easy to see but the little nasties are hard to spot. The French have tried to fight them, regular delousing, plastic bags for your backpack, often don't don't let you take your bag into the bedrooms, and more importantly a very effective spray is available everywhere, one which keeps them at bay. Use your own bedding exclusively, spray the mattress and around it well before going to sleep, don't really want to sleep with freshly applied poisons and if you have a real worry or hear from others use an insect repellant applied liberally before going nighty night.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Do a search for my blog, Annie's Simple Life Bedbugs.
I most certainly DO know what to look for and they leave sign that is simple to Identify if you know it. Lots of photos and info on my blog.

I'm planning on doing this:

If I find bedbugs (which can be noticed by checking the mattress for stains, etc..), I'll alert the hospitalero and ask for another bed. If there are no other beds available or THAT mattress also has bedbugs, I'll politely tell him/her I will be leaving and I will go to another albergue. If there's no other albergues in town and the next town is too far off, I'll pull out my sleeping mat and sleep under the stars. I think I've got a great plan. :mrgreen:

In September 2011, I checked in Albergue la Torre in Arcahueja. Around bedtime, I saw a bedbug crawling on the blue colored wall and could seperate it in a small plastic bag. I showed the owner and he said it was only one, that it came from someone who took it with him, that he got all the certificates that the place was clean,....
Amazing was when I showed the bag to the other peregrinos, almost no one knew about bedbugs.
I left the place and spent the night in the expensive hotel at the National Road after doing a millimeter -double check of all my things.
In other albergues like in Zubiri, Santo Domingo de la Calzada and Burgos, I asked questions to the hospitaleros about bedbugs (chinches) but they didn't care at all. Some places are known about recurrent bedbug problems. For example Hornillos del Camino: Anniesantiago recently baptized Hornillos del Camino in "bedbug city".(el-camino-frances/topic11114.html)
But I know that there are albergues like for example in Rabanal del Camino where they are very serious about bedbugs.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
scruffy1 said:
Would you recognize a bedbug if you we're actually able to see one? adults are fairly easy to see but the little nasties are hard to spot. The French have tried to fight them, regular delousing, plastic bags for your backpack, often don't don't let you take your bag into the bedrooms, and more importantly a very effective spray is available everywhere, one which keeps them at bay. Use your own bedding exclusively, spray the mattress and around it well before going to sleep, don't really want to sleep with freshly applied poisons and if you have a real worry or hear from others use an insect repellant applied liberally before going nighty night.
Does anyone know the name of the "very effective spray"? We are in Leon right now, starting to walk tomorrow morning. We stopped in a Farmacia and asked for spray, but the only thing they had was insect repellant for the body. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, AnnieSantiago ( I think it was) - you link and info was really great. I feel prepared in terms of my knowledge. Now I just need the product(s). Thanks!

In France every tourist office is selling a permethrin spray to attack the bed bug problem. I have seen it in Spain. Try pharmacies, animal supply stores, and the garden stores.

Good luck!

Any idea what it's called or how to ask for it in Spanish? We've tried two pharmacies now and they only seem to have insect repellant. Thanks again !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
nettersweet, it's Permethrin. Write it down, show it to a pharmacist, and if they look confused try another one.

Before Portomarin is Mercadoiro. He has spray cans of permethrin for flies. Ask at the bar where he gets it, or ask to see a can. Or stay there. It is very peaceful.

Villares is a great place, yes?

nettersweet said:
Hello,
My question is: can the hospitalero do anything once you let them know? If there are bedbugs, it sounds like it wouldn't be the best choice of places to stay. So what have folks done upon discovering bed bugs in an albergue?

A couple of days ago in Ponferrada as I was sitting on my bunk I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye. It was a large bedbug skipping across my bunk. I terminated it and took the remains to the Hospitalero. He imediately beat to quarters, cleared for action and sprayed the crap out of everything in the room, especially inside sleeping bags. Nobody was bitten that night. I forget the name of the spray. i believe it originates in India and is completely harmless to humans. I will pray for that hospitalero in Santiago in a few days.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
often takes more than a couple of days for the bites to manifest so maybe pray also that no one really was bitten....

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.