• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If life were perfect....

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the Camino in fall of 2015....and it's nearly here. Start my walk from St. Jean PP on August 14th.
I'd planned to be in Santiago De Compostela this weekend, enjoying the completion of a 2020 walk from Porto along the Portugal Route to Santiago with my daughter and granddaughter. My twin sister, my husband and my son-in-law were traveling with us by auto as we celebrated our 60th wedding anniversary. We had reservations for 2 nights in the Parador De Santiago; a long time "bucket list"! Due to Covid-19 we cancelled our planned two month journey several months ago as three of us are over 80 and two more of our group are 60+. As I walked near our home with my husband this morning I was reminded of where we would be today in a perfect world: Santiago! This was to be my third Camino and probably my last as I'm 82 years old this year. We would be continuing along the Camino Frances to St. Jean, mostly by automobile , showing my granddaughter the trials that I walked with her mother two years ago on my second journey; before ending our journey in Madrid. Maybe my last but who knows what the future will provide. Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'd planned to be in Santiago De Compostela this weekend, enjoying the completion of a 2020 walk from Porto along the Portugal Route to Santiago with my daughter and granddaughter. My twin sister, my husband and my son-in-law were traveling with us by auto as we celebrated our 60th wedding anniversary. We had reservations for 2 nights in the Parador De Santiago; a long time "bucket list"! Due to Covid-19 we cancelled our planned two month journey several months ago as three of us are over 80 and two more of our group are 60+. As I walked near our home with my husband this morning I was reminded of where we would be today in a perfect world: Santiago! This was to be my third Camino and probably my last as I'm 82 years old this year. We would be continuing along the Camino Frances to St. Jean, mostly by automobile , showing my granddaughter the trials that I walked with her mother two years ago on my second journey; before ending our journey in Madrid. Maybe my last but who knows what the future will provide. Buen Camino

it ain’t over till the fat lady sings! 😀😀😀

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just so, Martha J! We never know what will happen, change or pop up. The Camino Portuges Costal is my fav of all my pilgrimages so I hope you get to check it out--and that all your dreams come true!

Could we have less of this defeatism! :) I too will be 82 on Monday 20 July and if I could beg, borrow, or steal the funds would be on Camino like the proverbial bat outa hell! Would be doing it in little stages tho and interspersed with taxi rides, buses and stays in the finest paradors! One has to be kind to one's ancient bones but still letting them know who's boss! At the moment, to be serious, each stage depends on just how it is affected by virus and local feeling towards pilgrims. Walk soft and stay safe and may you enjoy your future Caminos! :)

Samarkand.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think you are going to get at least 1 more shot and maybe you will do a few more. I am 66 and 3 years ago I walked from Lisbon. There are not alot of pilgrims starting in Lisbon and not that many choices of albergues so you tend to see the same people in the evenings. We met a man who carried his own pack and walked as far as 31k one day. The stage from Tomar to Alvaiazere. On that day like some others we would sometimes see him taking a siesta under a shade tree. He was from Las Vegas. He was married 5 times. He told us he didn't have much money because he was taken to the cleaners 5 times by the Las Vegas showgirls he had married. He smiled and said he would not change a thing that he had the time of his life! But wait her is the best part, He was 82 years old!!!! My hero. He is my inspiration to keep walking and walking once this madness ends. You will too!! Buen Camino.

You are amazing Martha! What a philosophical and wise reflection. I hope you get to the Parador Santiago and warm congratulations on your 60th wedding anniversary.
One of my favourite movies (and book) is ‘Out of Africa’, and it has a scene where one of the characters says, ‘people make plans and God laughs”.😊
2020 seems to be using that as its motto! I try to reflect on the times that this motto brings good surprises. You know, sensibly planning why something like the camino can’t happen - and then suddenly the unexpected allows everything to align.❤️

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back