• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If the Camino Frances stays crazy...

sonhador

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017, 2023)
So it's my first camino starting June 1 from SJPdP, and I have until July 11. Should be plenty of time, and I'm planning on Finesterre/Muxia as well.

I, like many Americans, first saw The Way with Martin Sheen and decided that the Camino was something I wanted to do (I will admit it took almost a year after seeing the film for me to google to see that the Camino was real thing :D) I am attracted to the Frances in part because it is well established, has good services and passes through several cities I would like to see, most notably Burgos. Unfortunately, it appears that everyone else is having the same thoughts as well.

I am a little concerned seeing the notes that the Frances as a whole is already much busier than normal, with a large number of pilgrims leaving SJPdP, the bed issue in Roncenvalles, and (from this side of the Atlantic and through a web browser) there seems almost a state of panic, of got to go, make a reservation, it's going to be crazy this year. This is not the Camino I have envisioned for 6 years.

So, do I change routes? Do I find somewhere a little less "crazy" than the Frances for my first camino? I'll be travelling alone, and I'm not fluent in Spanish - another reason for my attraction to the Frances - I figure it's a little easier to get along there. :D I want to experience what Spain and the Camino have to offer without spending my days worrying about pre-booking accommodations days in advance or getting up at O'Dark Thirty on a mad dash for a bed. Or is this simply the Camino teaching me to let go, and let God. To do the Camino I have "planned" and see what lies ahead, because the Camino provides?

Buen Camino,
Erin

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That is a tough question and I don't know if it can truly be answered without being there. I absolutely loved the Francés route, the people, the support, the infrastructure all add to the chances of successfully completing the Camino. When I walked in 2015 there were a few days that albergues were full so I either stopped walking earlier in the day or walked on to the next town where I did find a bed. I really enjoyed talking with all of the other pilgrims and hearing their stories and sharing a meal. I liked the energy and the camaradarie. I also felt energized with the influx of energy from the people starting in Sarria. They had a spring in their step and were very excited to be starting their own caminos and the energy was contagious. I'm sure other people have a very different and just as valid opinion. I don't know if you can predict how you will react in any given situation especially with fatigue and possible injury and pain added to the equation.

Good luck with your decision and Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Everything will be fine. There is no harm in booking Roncesvalles and even Zubiri to ease your mind and once you arrive in Pamplona, the crowd (if there is one) won't be as big. Enjoy your time on the Camino and try not to let some negative comments here get you down.

If you're looking for smaller crowds like in The Way, you could switch to another route. Overcoming the language barrier is pretty easy, you can translate things beforehand and study some basics. But switching to a different path if one isn't working for you is easy too. Depends on the experience you're seeking to create.

Don't rule out trying something like the camino de Madrid, or the via de la plata. The VDLP starting in say Salamanca is very quiet and something like the the Frances was in the past. There are also "camino families" formed on the VDLP. Check out the blog section here for some ideas.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Erin

I think you need to let go of 'that film', first off. It is just a work of fiction. You don't have to start in St Jean like everyone else does, if that causes stress. The Pyrenees are not going anywhere, you can always go back and see them later.

I personally would not walk the Camino Frances in peak season, but I was lucky enough to experience it 10 years ago, before 'that film', and smartphones, and Trip Advisor, in an idyllic sunny October, so my opinion is completely biased by that. I do other routes now because I dislike feeling like a sheep in a flock, I don't need much infrastructure because I have done wilderness hiking in other countries and travelled alone a lot before I did any camino, so I don't get freaked by uncertainty, mild peril or bedbugs, and I speak passable Spanish. So that makes it very easy for me to say 'walk another route'. But I don't know about your life and experiences. Maybe it's your first time in Europe, or away from home? How fit are you? Have you ever travelled on your own before? If you give us a bit more background, we can come up with some more detailed suggestions.

@sonhador
Welcome.
It is hard to advise but FWIW I'd encourage you to follow your first instinct. I walked first time in 2008 and am now on my 8th time back. The second time I walked, Martin Sheen was about a week behind us, filming The Way. I've been on Frances four times and will come again later this year. I'm on my fifth 'other' route at the moment. They are all different.
I still think Frances probably the best way to start for most people. You can get help, support and companionship. I believe you can always find solitude too and I have been at very busy times.
I'm on Madrid route now and after 4 solid days walking have yet to meet a single other pilgrim. I think it's fantastic but I don't think I would have liked to start here the first time.
I'll stick my neck out and say I don't think things are probably as bad as the forum would sometimes lead you to think. (I love the forum.) People (all of us) like to ventilate after a difficult experience.
I have only once (truly) in 9 Caminos turned up at a full albergue. When it happened I went to another one next door. I don't get up at 5am. You'll learn and you'll develop your own way of doing it.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think you need to let go of 'that film', first off. It is just a work of fiction.

I personally would not walk the Camino Frances in peak season, but I was lucky enough to experience it 10 years ago, before 'that film', and smartphones, and Trip Advisor, in an idyllic sunny October, so my opinion is completely biased by that.
Amen to that. Not only is that movie fiction, the Frances is not what it was at the time the movie was filmed (in great part because of that movie and other works of fiction like it in other countries/languages). That ship has sailed.

So it's my first camino starting June 1 from SJPdP, and I have until July 11. Should be plenty of time, and I'm planning on Finesterre/Muxia as well.

I, like many Americans, first saw The Way with Martin Sheen and decided that the Camino was something I wanted to do (I will admit it took almost a year after seeing the film for me to google to see that the Camino was real thing :D) I am attracted to the Frances in part because it is well established, has good services and passes through several cities I would like to see, most notably Burgos. Unfortunately, it appears that everyone else is having the same thoughts as well.

I am a little concerned seeing the notes that the Frances as a whole is already much busier than normal, with a large number of pilgrims leaving SJPdP, the bed issue in Roncenvalles, and (from this side of the Atlantic and through a web browser) there seems almost a state of panic, of got to go, make a reservation, it's going to be crazy this year. This is not the Camino I have envisioned for 6 years.

So, do I change routes? Do I find somewhere a little less "crazy" than the Frances for my first camino? I'll be travelling alone, and I'm not fluent in Spanish - another reason for my attraction to the Frances - I figure it's a little easier to get along there. :D I want to experience what Spain and the Camino have to offer without spending my days worrying about pre-booking accommodations days in advance or getting up at O'Dark Thirty on a mad dash for a bed. Or is this simply the Camino teaching me to let go, and let God. To do the Camino I have "planned" and see what lies ahead, because the Camino provides?

Buen Camino,
Erin

Stay the course, enjoy the trek and people you will meet. We are coming back in August to start again from SJJP having done it in Sept-Nov 2016. There are many places to stay besides the alburgues, although they are our first preference. To steal a line from a movie ..." Adapt, improvise, overcome" One thing you will discover is that the Camino mimicks life in everyway. There are good days, there bad days, there are victories and defeats, sickness and health, injury and healing, loneliness and camaraderie, euphoria and depression. And with every season there are places to stay .turn...turn...turn ....lol :)
Have fun and Buen Camino !!!!

Go and do the Camino Francis - If you are worried about beds I would book Orrison ahead of time (through email - be patient they are a bit slow to respond, but they will). If you can't get a room because they are filled then walk to Orrison the first day, and arrange transportation to pick you up at Orrison in the afternoon and take you back to SJPP to spend another night. This is what I did last year, it worked out awesome. The same people will take you back to Orrison the next morning. I don't remember the name of the company, but they are just a couple of doors down from the Pilgrim office in SJPP. You can also book a private room for Roncesvalles at one of the hotels ahead of time. I stayed at the Posada De Roncesvalles. It was great and had an excellent dinner and breakfast right there at the hotel. I think it was $55, but piece of mind of a place to stay was worth it. After Roncesvalles you may want to also book a room in Zubiri, it is a smaller town and rooms were HARD to get when I went in early September. After Zubiri I would either try to leave earlier than most pilgrims to try and get places to stay. You can also call ahead to many hostels and pensions to make reservations. Last year I walked from SJPP to Burgos and I mapped out my entire route before I left and booked pensions or hostels and a few private rooms all in advance. It takes a little work, but I never had to worry where I was going to sleep every night. It was really nice!

If you want more advice on this feel free to contact me. By the way, I LOVED my Camino experience last year. I left September 4th and it was one of the busiest days all year on the Camino. There were a lot of pilgrims, but after the first couple of days it really starts to space out and you don't see as many people. Another thing to keep in mind is that the first stage of the Camino (SJPP to Roncesvalles) is a brutal one, from a physical standpoint. You are going UP and sometimes straight up the Pyrenees mountains and then down, very steeply, those same mountains. I was so happy I only walked to Orrison that first day and then did the rest on the second day, because it was so challenging. It was also 90+ degrees both days, so that may have a lot to do with my experience:) Orrison is also a very cool place in an awesome spot on the Camino. Even though I didn't get a chance to stay over night, I did spend a couple of hours there on the day I waked there. On my next Camino I will definitely stay there.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Erin

I think you need to let go of 'that film', first off. It is just a work of fiction. You don't have to start in St Jean like everyone else does, if that causes stress. The Pyrenees are not going anywhere, you can always go back and see them later.

I personally would not walk the Camino Frances in peak season, but I was lucky enough to experience it 10 years ago, before 'that film', and smartphones, and Trip Advisor, in an idyllic sunny October, so my opinion is completely biased by that. I do other routes now because I dislike feeling like a sheep in a flock, I don't need much infrastructure because I have done wilderness hiking in other countries and travelled alone a lot before I did any camino, so I don't get freaked by uncertainty, mild peril or bedbugs, and I speak passable Spanish. So that makes it very easy for me to say 'walk another route'. But I don't know about your life and experiences. Maybe it's your first time in Europe, or away from home? How fit are you? Have you ever travelled on your own before? If you give us a bit more background, we can come up with some more detailed suggestions.
Well stated, thank you.

Stick to your plan, if you don't you'll never know what might have been. The walk to Roncesvalles is a highlight, the sense of achievement alone would make it worthwhile.
Don't worry about crowds. There's a lot of space out there.
I occasionally booked on the day. I recommend booking a day or two ahead if you want to hit a city on a Friday or Saturday. Or do so midweek for peace of mind.
The well known tip of staying in a small village just after (or before) more popular towns has its merits. Fewer places to stay = fewer walkers. Some of the best places i stayed were villages with 1 or 2 albergues, and if you leave before or after the handful of people staying in that village you be walking on your own (unless you catch up with others, or they catch you).
Even after cities the crowd thins out and you can find space when you want it.
I walked on my own (last May/June) only know pleasantries in Spanish. Never left at Stupid O'Clock. I liked to wait until most people had left. Quiet bathrooms and peaceful packing. There are sure to be times when you think 'why am i doing this' it's quite common. And walking along with friendly people can help to pull you out of your 'hard time'. It certainly helped me when struggling with an injury.
Good luck. You'll love it. (most of it anyway)
PS. I was pretty drained by the time i got to Santiago. I stayed 2 nights. By then i'd recharged myself and seen enough. So when i started to walk to Finisterre i was raring to go. It's quieter and very nice and it felt great.

Last edited:
Stick to your plan and do the Frances. :) there will always be busy patches. I found after a week that by not following the standard stages I got to stay in some really beautiful villages with plenty of beds.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Erin,

I am currently on the Frances route, in Navarette tonight (started a week ago from SJPDP). So far the Camino has been crowded and twice I have had to catch a cab to the next town. Only twice in 8 nights have I been able to walk into an Albergue without a reservation before 2pm.

If you like to get up early (before 7am) and get to your destination by 1pm this shouldnt be an issue from what I have seen this past week. Getting in around 3-5pm will be an issue if you havent booked.

While I have found a lot of great advice on this forum, I have found that being here on the Camino today that some is out-dated. The Camino that I am on right now is unlike what I have expected. This is not a negative response but a realistic one. Despite a couple of rough nights, I have had a lot of laughs and have enjoyed meeting so many people in Spain and from around the world. I do not regret my decision to be on this trail now, and find that every hurdle can be overcome with some resilience and determination.

Buen Camino and Enjoy the ride!!! Dont be scared and just do it :) <3

Nate.

While I have found a lot of great advice on this forum, I have found that being here on the Camino today that some is out-dated. The Camino that I am on right now is unlike what I have expected. This is not a negative response but a realistic one.
Nate.
Hi Nate,

Glad you are enjoying your experience even if it is not what you expected, and that we are outdated. :D

I'd love to hear more about this, so that we may update our tune and not lead people on with outdated info. ;).

Hi Erin,

I am currently on the Frances route, in Navarette tonight (started a week ago from SJPDP). So far the Camino has been crowded and twice I have had to catch a cab to the next town. Only twice in 8 nights have I been able to walk into an Albergue without a reservation before 2pm.

If you like to get up early (before 7am) and get to your destination by 1pm this shouldnt be an issue from what I have seen this past week. Getting in around 3-5pm will be an issue if you havent booked.

While I have found a lot of great advice on this forum, I have found that being here on the Camino today that some is out-dated. The Camino that I am on right now is unlike what I have expected. This is not a negative response but a realistic one. Despite a couple of rough nights, I have had a lot of laughs and have enjoyed meeting so many people in Spain and from around the world. I do not regret my decision to be on this trail now, and find that every hurdle can be overcome with some resilience and determination.

Nate.
It could be something to do with the fact that in 8 days you've walked through 4 of the busiest places. St Jean, Roncesvalles, Pamplona and Logroño (all great places).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just roll with it. Start out the way you planned, and give yourself some time to get into the flow of pilgrim life. If you find it too noisy or hectic, get to a larger town or city and re-evaluate from there, where you can catch a bus or train to re-commence on a different, quieter path. Lots of people have done it that way... my dismay with the Easter holiday crowds in 2009 led me to abandon the Frances in Ponferrada. And thus I discovered the Camino de Invierno, a revelation of quiet solitude!

I did the Rota Vicentina in Portugal two summers ago and loved it. It was only a week's worth of walking, and I had two weeks, so I hopped a bus over to Seville and then Granada. Loved Spain so much that I wanted to go back.

I'm doing the Frances because I'm taking my daughter who is almost ten. I need the infrastructure of the Frances to make an all summer walk feasible for her. I've done wilderness backpacking in Appalachia, in the Ozarks, and in the Rockies. If I were traveling alone, I would probably do the GR10 on the French side, and then walk over to Spain at the end. I am dreading the crowds on the camino, but excited about the rest of it. My daughter is a social butterfly and hopes we meet a lot of new friends. I hope I don't end up with too much social anxiety.

I'm not trying to give any advice at all. Just sharing similar apprehensions. I hope it turns out to be okay for you and for me.

Last edited:
Easter was last week of April. The late Easter probably caused a spike in people walking over that of other years.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sometimes there are waves of pilgrims and so if you find it crowded you can take a short day or make a long day, and get out of that group. -- Also, don't stop at the Brierly stopping points. Walk to the next town, or stop in the town before. We walked from SJPP last Spring and only once had a small town's albergue filled-- and we walked late into the evening that night because my son always wants to walk "just another 5km". :)

Hi Erin

No worries about letting go of "that film" - it is my inspiration - not my guide book. I'm a school teacher so this is the only time of year I can go. I know the Camino is not what is once was, but there is not much I can do about that now. I guess my big concern was just being able to have a little bit of flexibility. I really want to let the Camino happen - not plan it within an inch of its life. :D

Just roll with it. Start out the way you planned, and give yourself some time to get into the flow of pilgrim life. If you find it too noisy or hectic, get to a larger town or city and re-evaluate from there, where you can catch a bus or train to re-commence on a different, quieter path. Lots of people have done it that way... my dismay with the Easter holiday crowds in 2009 led me to abandon the Frances in Ponferrada. And thus I discovered the Camino de Invierno, a revelation of quiet solitude!

I think this is my plan. I had already looked at the Inverno, but dismissed it as I'd have to rush through to make it work and I didn't want to do that. But we will see what happens. Hopefully this is just the May rush and June will be a little quieter. I've already booked Orisson and Roncenvalles. I'd like to not have to book in advance too much more than that. I'm not worried about sleeping rough if it happens, just don't want to feel like I'm in a rat race the whole time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Buen Camino,
Erin
Personally I think you get a lot more from doing the less popular caminos like the Sanabres or the Mozarabe but you do need some Spanish and there are far fewer peregrinos.

Personally I think you get a lot more from doing the less popular caminos like the Sanabres or the Mozarabe but you do need some Spanish and there are far fewer peregrinos.
What one gets out of a Camino is entirely subjective. I don't think that anyone can tell another person which will be the better experience for them.

Hi Erin,

Nate.
@monkiguy
Good to hear that things are settling - hopefully. You sound pretty resilient and resourceful :). And interesting that you find it different from what you expected. It's really hard to advise other people or maybe I mean it's hard to learn from others' advice. No two people have *quite* the same questions. And things seem to be changing every year.
But if you are willing, as you say, to adapt as you travel, (which is NOT easy for some people) you'll be fine.
Continue to enjoy!
I'm on Day 4 out of Madrid. I haven't met another pilgrim yet. I'm in an albergue alone with 31 empty beds. Shhhh. Don't tell anyone. :) I'm loving it though probably not ideal for a first experience. Tim

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
What one gets out of a Camino is entirely subjective. I don't think that anyone can tell another person which will be the better experience for them.
Thanks, yes you are right. I was sounding a bit "peregrinopompous".
@monkiguy
Good to hear that things are settling - hopefully. You sound pretty resilient and resourceful :). And interesting that you find it different from what you expected. It's really hard to advise other people or maybe I mean it's hard to learn from others' advice. No two people have *quite* the same questions. And things seem to be changing every year.
But if you are willing, as you say, to adapt as you travel, (which is NOT easy for some people) you'll be fine.
Continue to enjoy!
I'm on Day 4 out of Madrid. I haven't met another pilgrim yet. I'm in an albergue alone with 31 empty beds. Shhhh. Don't tell anyone. :) I'm loving it though probably not ideal for a first experience. Tim
Tim which route are you on?

Buen Camino,
Erin
Hi Erin..myself and a friend begin our Camino on may 31 the day before you..so I guess we may bump into each other on the way..anyway have fun and look forward to maybe chatting with you...burn Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Hi there,

this is exactly what I experienced in September 2015 on the first half of the CF (from St. Jean). Zubiri was "completo" by 3pm, the same for El Burgo Ranero around 1pm.
So, leaving early and being one of the first people to arrive at your destination is quite an advantage - although this is called "bed race". ;-)
However, I never got a problem on my camino (as I was an "early-arriver" without being a "racer") and I booked only 3 or 4 times under special circumstances. Otherwise, I just looked which albergue had a bed for me.

And I'd also recommend you stick with the plan, walk the CF.

Best wishes, buen camino
Volker

I walked St Jean to Leon leaving on Easter Friday morning. Out at 7am-ish daily, finishing walking between 2-4pm. Always stayed one town ahead of the printed guide and had no trouble finding a bed. Don't jump into the first place you see (like everyone else does and the guide books want you to). Some of the best hostels/albergues will be found off the beaten track or the exit end of towns (these tend to be much quieter). We always asked the locals and got treated to some incredible meals and quirky rooms. Also 3 Coach loads of students turned up at Roncesvalles at 2pm, a mob of pilgrims cried outrage and panicked but we still got beds and stragglers were found beds elsewhere. I only booked the first bed in St Jean to reduce hassle after flying. All the nerves will go once you have that first breather at Orrison. Buen Camino.

Erin, hi. You are already setting yourself limitations and succumbing to fears (little ones) - don't do it .. just pack the bag and go to the Camino - don't worry; don't get up in the dark and bed race - just walk west at a comfortable pace and stop when tired.
The Camino that you 'get' will be exactly the right Camino for you - on one proviso; that you surrender to it and not try to make it into the Camino that you have created in your mind - remember Shakespeare's words in Hamlet - "there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" - All is Well Erin - just go - surrender, enjoy.

Buen Camino!!

p.s. I thought The Way was a pretty good rendering of Camino - and they all, actors and crew, were affected by it, got into the coincidence magic of it all - I love the film. Sure it isn't a documentary, it is a story of four messed up people who become healed by Camino - great stuff!!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It could be something to do with the fact that in 8 days you've walked through 4 of the busiest places. St Jean, Roncesvalles, Pamplona and Logroño (all great places).

Great advice! Although this is something I have now learned after spending more money and time than expected. This valuable piece of information is no where in any books, on any site and certainly not easily found on this forum. Now it is here :p

Interesting reading @monkiguy 's posts over the last week. There is an article gone up on Gronze.com yesterday about the overcrowding and commercialisation ruining the camino:
https://www.gronze.com/articulos/peregrino-insumiso-13506

Google translate does a not bad job on it [nb tail and queue are the same word in Spanish]

Hi :)

I have been following this forum for 4 years, leading up to my Camino. I have read books, seen movies and spoken to people in preparation for adventure, fully aware that my own adventure would be unique.

I have to say that after my research, including the advice from my new German-pilgrim friend sitting next to me right now here in Nájera - the Camino today? It is certainly very different and busier than expected.

I am enjoying every minute now :) wouldn't replace these new feelings for anything in the world!!

I am a little concerned seeing the notes that the Frances as a whole is already much busier than[ normal ...

Erin, hi from the outermost ends of the world.

Your concerns now were mine a little over a year ago. I was to travel around the world, did not speak the local languages, had done a heap of training. And feared it would all turn to custard quite quickly.

But all that began to evaporate during the trek up from S Jean and was gone by breakfast the next day. My training was paying off and I had spoken with several Kiwis and met quite a few other people.

And so it continued. I am an extreme introvert and I greatly enjoyed my experience.

I start at day break, being conditioned by my training, as it gave me options on how to spend the rest of the day. Such as stopping to chat with others or take in the scenery, a building or other feature on the way. And I loved the serendipity of how each day turned out.

Before I left a very wise neighbour said I was undertaking a grand adventure. And that is just how it happened.

While you have three weeks to go you may want to consider your stamina and fitness. One aspect is to achieve, say, 600 metres (2,000 feet) of elevation before you stop for breakfast, with all your gear on your back.

I look forward to hearing how it was for you.

Ki haha (be strong, be brave, get going)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Erin

A wise sage you are !!! ;-) We did the Camino, fall 2016, with only a watch and a GoPro, nothing else. Not for everyone but for us it gave us a lot of kilometers & days to think, meet people and rely heavily on one another. A bonding experience if you will after 46 years of marriage. Back at it this year once again in Aug. :)

Buen Camino,
Erin

Stick to the Francais.....especially if you are doing it alone, you will meet many people from all over the world and have a wonderful time. You will always find a bed ....if not there will be another one not too far up the track. My niece is doing it by herself now and having no problem finding a bed, she is not booking ahead. You will love Burgos, Leon and many more beautiful towns. I have walked it 5 times and have never booked ahead. Only once I had to walk on, that was because I took a bus trip to Lugo from Portamarin so I didn't start walking until 3pm. Stick to your plans and don't worry. Buen Camino......

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Seriously?! I would love to hear some of your stories! Not even an extra pair of socks?!
Nothing extra at all, we would sneak out at night and go down to a stream and wash our clothes when everyone was sleeping and that way we could bath at the same time. You should try it.

Why thanks! To what did you attach the GoPro, if you don't mind my asking?
Attached to nothing, hand held and took thousands of photos and dozens of videos, not of myself, but of the countryside, towns and others. This year I will be using a DSLR so I can use a telephoto lens. GoPro does not allow one to do this, albeit it does do panoramic shots.

Last edited:

Your concerns now were mine a little over a year ago. I was to travel around the world, did not speak the local languages, had done a heap of training. And feared it would all turn to custard quite quickly.

But all that began to evaporate during the trek up from S Jean and was gone by breakfast the next day. My training was paying off and I had spoken with several Kiwis and met quite a few other people.

And so it continued. I am an extreme introvert and I greatly enjoyed my experience.

I start at day break, being conditioned by my training, as it gave me options on how to spend the rest of the day. Such as stopping to chat with others or take in the scenery, a building or other feature on the way. And I loved the serendipity of how each day turned out.

Before I left a very wise neighbour said I was undertaking a grand adventure. And that is just how it happened.

While you have three weeks to go you may want to consider your stamina and fitness. One aspect is to achieve, say, 600 metres (2,000 feet) of elevation before you stop for breakfast, with all your gear on your back.

What language is this Hawaiian?

Buen Camino,
Erin

Hello again, getting very close hey?
We will
No doubt meet along the way even at Bayonne. We are two Australian ladies one mean and lean the other round and cuddly.
My friend is questioning like you, me !!
Stick to the plan, all will be well.
Have you got that wise pilgrim app on your phone- awesome , surprised the albergues look better than I thought!!
Like many responses I think if when we hit the ground in Bayonne barittiz we might get a feel if we should book them.
See you very soon ......
Buen Camino

Hello again, getting very close hey?
We will
No doubt meet along the way even at Bayonne. We are two Australian ladies one mean and lean the other round and cuddly.
My friend is questioning like you, me !!
Stick to the plan, all will be well.
Have you got that wise pilgrim app on your phone- awesome , surprised the albergues look better than I thought!!
Like many responses I think if when we hit the ground in Bayonne barittiz we might get a feel if we should book them.
See you very soon ......
Buen Camino

I know it's getting close! And I am not as ready as I want to be! My grandfather has been in the hospital on life support, so I've been taking care of the rest of the family while my parents are out dealing with that.

What part of Australia are you from? I used to live outside of Sydney. I evendors have my NSW school certificate - and started my HSC's. I loved my time over there.

As far as reservations, I have booked a hotel in Bayonne, and then booked Orrison, and Roncenvalles as I will be pretty slow those first days I am sure. I am debating about booking Zubiri - but that will hopefully be the last night I have to book. Frankly, I wish there was a Alburgue about 5 km before Zubiri but I haven't found anything.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh yes wow you are busy, hope it settles down for you prior, and your granddad starts to improve !!

It will all come together that final hour , mine seems to .....
Well I permentlay live Gold Coast,
But have been living Maroubra for last 10mths and lived a number years down Sth of Kiama but also out at windosr ( west)many years ago.
We have booked Orrisson about 4 mths ago hehe for 1 st June . Still contemplating SJPDP and Ronc, we might stay Bayonne 30 May , unsure on that one yet. Town sounds lovely and be a niceness place to wake up to with a good breaky beforehand heading to SJPDP.
Safe travels , hope all goes well and see you soon.

Buen Camino

I know it's getting close! And I am not as ready as I want to be! My grandfather has been in the hospital on life support, so I've been taking care of the rest of the family while my parents are out dealing with that.

What part of Australia are you from? I used to live outside of Sydney. I evendors have my NSW school certificate - and started my HSC's. I loved my time over there.

As far as reservations, I have booked a hotel in Bayonne, and then booked Orrison, and Roncenvalles as I will be pretty slow those first days I am sure. I am debating about booking Zubiri - but that will hopefully be the last night I have to book. Frankly, I wish there was a Alburgue about 5 km before Zubiri but I haven't found anything.

Buen Camino,
Erin
Don't read anymore articles.. or posts. Just go and enjoy.. you will always find a bed. I did it in the holy year.. in June .. always found a bed . Some people like to get an early start to enjoy the mornings not just to rush for a bed.. Enjoy

Everything will be fine. There is no harm in booking Roncesvalles and even Zubiri to ease your mind and once you arrive in Pamplona, the crowd (if there is one) won't be as big. Enjoy your time on the Camino and try not to let some negative comments here get you down.
I start off from SJPP on 5/26, and for peace of mind, this is what I have done...booked through Zubiri. First Camino, so excited!!! The rest will fall in place.

Buen Camino,
Erin
I think you have answered your own question. In my opionon if you want to move your travel time and you can do that without any financial or other issues do it. God is going to be right there with you whenever you go. You won't miss what he has for you whether the Camino is busy or quiet.

Don't read anymore articles.. or posts. Just go and enjoy.. you will always find a bed. I did it in the holy year.. in June .. always found a bed . Some people like to get an early start to enjoy the mornings not just to rush for a bed.. Enjoy
Honestly, we began the CF starting the second week of September last year, thinking the worst of the summer heat would be over. Wrong! We ended up walking in the dark to take advantage of the cooler temps. And you just can't beat those sunrises!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Buen Camino,
Erin
Sonhador, I have heard these same things. I walked France route in May- June 2015 and it did not get crowded until Saria (where many people start so they can get their compostela certificate). I do believe you will not have a problem finding accommodations if you pick places just before or after major cities and/or destinations recommended in Byerly's book. Many people use his book and try to keep to that schedule. I found if I stopped just before his recommended city I was fine. You will get into a rhythm and way of walking that will suit you. Leave American ways behind and just walk. There will always be a place for you.

One thing I found that helped me was to decide on a destination for that day and shoot for that. I would call and reserve a room that morning and I never had a problem because my room was always waiting for me when I arrived. Even if I walked until 5:00 my room was there. For this old gal it was a simple peace of mind. I would suggest you do that especially after Saria. Buen Camino

...When I walked in 2015 there were a few days that albergues were full so I either stopped walking earlier in the day or walked on to the next town where I did find a bed. I really enjoyed talking with all of the other pilgrims and hearing their stories and sharing a meal. I liked the energy and the camaraderie.....

I concur with Mike. I was there same year at the peak, I understand, which was September that year. I saw the anxiety in some around me - the 'planners'- who called ahead or got up super early (waking others in the process) or who arranged much of their day around getting a bed. I ignored all that.

I do strategy and planning for a living and decided long before setting out that I would NOT plan anything other than start @SJPdP and end in Santiago. This allowed me the LET the Camino unfold 'as it should' ;) before me. In other words, I deliberately did the opposite of my usual logical, rationale, planned approach and this served me well in an environment of wonderful people and beautiful sights. I deliberately walked later in the day to enjoy that peace and quiet with many off-trail by then. I found smaller villages. I did NOT follow Brierley's 33 stages. I walked MY Camino and avoided letting others' anxieties affect me. Instead of 'leaning in', I leaned back...like rapelling down a cliff - counter-intuitive but way more effective and waaaaay more enjoyable. In short, I let Serendipity be my guide.

It's only 2 years later. The patterns Mike and I saw will be similar this year. I find with the Camino that thinking about it less and letting it BE works best. Maybe read 'The Tao of Pooh' and then decide. :)))

Buen Camino!

PS If you do an alternative route, look me up on Camino Arrogonés if you're going in June 1-15. I'll be the friendly hospitalero welcoming you at the albergue in Arrés after you walk from, say, Jaca. You'll miss Roncesvalles but connect with Francés at Puenta la Reina.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Don't rule out trying something like the camino de Madrid, or the via de la plata. The VDLP starting in say Salamanca is very quiet and something like the the Frances was in the past. There are also "camino families" formed on the VDLP. Check out the blog section here for some ideas.
Having just walked the vdlp from Seville, I absolutely agree with Terry that starting it from Salamanca (the halfway point, so you'll still walk a good 500km) is a great option - beautiful scenery, not overly crowded and I am sure at this time of year (I met almost no one doing it in March and April) you will see enough people for company should you wish for it, but it is quiet enough to have your own space too. Buen camino!

Buen Camino,
Erin

In my humble the camino francis the best and as a vetern of 23 caminos the camino i keep going back to. 10 times sjpdep to roncesvalles. Never had a bed problem and i never book ahead. Buen camino

Buen Camino,
Erin

Good Morning,

I hope the angst generated on line does not alter your determination to complete the CF. Those of us who have walked the CF in quieter times have noticed the increase in traffic and some see it as intrusive in a negative way. I have altered my Camino's by staying in private albergues and if none were available Pensione and country inn accomodations are in most towns. Also Cafe accomodation are quite unique and all it takes is a question to the person behind the bar to determine if they have a "cama". Knowing likely places to stay and what they might look like come with experience and you will quickly pick up on the signs as you move along. The increase in usage has affected my experience and opened new horizons on the Camino.

If you proceed with no set expectations you will meet with no disappointment. Get in touch with your flexible self and all will be well.

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In my humble the camino francis the best and as a vetern of 23 caminos the camino i keep going back to. 10 times sjpdep to roncesvalles. Never had a bed problem and i never book ahead. Buen camino
The Camino Frances, this year, is at a 30%+ increase in Pilgrims trekking the Camino above last year's record number of Pilgrims. Roncevalles is also decreasing the number of beds available for a reason unknown to me but relayed to my by someone I know who is on the Camino Frances right now. I just know that our party of four, have already booked at Orisson and Roncevalles. If need be we will book ahead of where ever we are on the Camino this year if the need arises. Better safe than sorry, considering the increase in Pilgrims.

Buen Camino,
Erin
Hello, I haven't read other people's replies but I'm currently on the Camino just out of Pamplona. The problem with forums is that they create unnecessary anxiety. From reading this forum I was dreading the climb to Roncenvalles but honestly at 63 years of age it was fine. 8 hours of pure fun despite the rain and strong wind. I left St Jean at 6:30 am and arrived at Roncens at 1:30 pm taking in all the sights and lots of small breaks. So, that was an unnecessary anxiety. When I reached Roncens. They turned some people away. But honestly the next village isn't that far and the walk there is fantastic. I kicked myself because had I known I would have happily have walked the extra 20 minutes. Why staying at Roncens is such s big deal beats me. An elderly couple who arrived late missed a bed and the volunteers there offered them transport to the next village. They declined and walked instead. I saw them the following morning having breakfast and they said it was a blessing that they'd been turned away. I agreed. Roncens is like a cattle processing hostel. Walk on would be my advice!

Hello, I haven't read other people's replies but I'm currently on the Camino just out of Pamplona. The problem with forums is that they create unnecessary anxiety. From reading this forum I was dreading the climb to Roncenvalles but honestly at 63 years of age it was fine. 8 hours of pure fun despite the rain and strong wind. I left St Jean at 6:30 am and arrived at Roncens at 1:30 pm taking in all the sights and lots of small breaks. So, that was an unnecessary anxiety. When I reached Roncens. They turned some people away. But honestly the next village isn't that far and the walk there is fantastic. I kicked myself because had I known I would have happily have walked the extra 20 minutes. Why staying at Roncens is such s big deal beats me. An elderly couple who arrived late missed a bed and the volunteers there offered them transport to the next village. They declined and walked instead. I saw them the following morning having breakfast and they said it was a blessing that they'd been turned away. I agreed. Roncens is like a cattle processing hostel. Walk on would be my advice!

I am curious to where you are from because we are from Florida, which is extremely flat. So finding a challenging course to train on is none existent unless we travel hundreds of miles. For us trekking even up to Orisson let alone Roncevalles was NOT the leisurely, fun or relaxing walk that you enjoyed, we wish it was, but it was very difficult for us. That is why I am curious if you have hills where you live to train on? We were 66 and 64 at the time (Sept 2016-Nov2016 ; SJJP to Santiago). This year(August2017) we are hoping to be better prepared. Living in areas where there are mountains and hills make all the difference we find from our encounters with Pilgrims last year.

€83,-

Buen Camino,
Erin

There is nothing wrong at all with the movie. It was inspiring, we four did it last year and we are coming back again this Aug. to do the Frances again. BTW...we watched " The Way" last night at our daughters home over dinner. If not for that movie, we would have never known about the Camino. People don't realize, who are from Europe, is that 99.999999 % of Americans have never heard of the Camino. Just enjoy the trek which I am sure you will :)

I am curious to where you are from because we are from Florida, which is extremely flat. So finding a challenging course to train on is none existent unless we travel hundreds of miles.

Stadium steps...GO GATORS!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hi Alwyn
I'm in Kapiti and walking from sjpdp 24/09 this year Any idea where there is a walk locally comparable to the first day to Orisson?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

There are a couple of albergues in Larrasoana 5 kms before Zubri the Albergue Concejo de Larrasoana is certainly nothing flash and when I was there I ended up across the road in the 'overflow' accommodation…it was a bed…if you go on Google Maps and zoom in to Larrasoana you will see there are other choices as I don't know what you are looking for budget wise.

@kinnear, hi

The closest to you is Otaki Forks up to Field Hut. This is an elevation rise of nearly 900 m over 6 km. Very similar to the elevation and distance from S Jean to Orisson.

That might be a start. I suggest working up to achieving that elevation change before having breakfast. Being able to manage that regularly, with all your stuff on your back, will put your stamina and overall fitness into a good place for the whole journey to SDC.

The nature of the country up to Field will require short steps. After leaving S Jean I strongly suggest you continue with short steps up to Orisson (and other significant hills), breathing in and out with each footfall. If you have learnt what to wear (one layer only for preference) you will not need to stop until you reach Orisson. And you will feel brilliant. And wondering why you booked Orisson!!!

I had to stop as Estella-Lizzara last year as I had pulled muscles in my right hip on the descent from Alto del Perdon (after Pamplona). And return there either mid September or early October. So we may catch up (I am now without facial hair).

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

What language is this Hawaiian?

@Sue Kranz, hi

Very close. The people we call Maori do not have a collective name for themselves. Their focus is on family, family groups and tribe. And their language/speech differs marginally up and down the country as happens in many countries, such as in England, Scotland, France and (even) the United States.

Maori call their language Te Reo, meaning The Language or The Speech.

Maori are classed as Polynesian and we were taught there is a Polynesian Triangle with Aotearoa in the south west, Rapanui (Easter Island) in the south east and Hawaii in the north east.

What is your variant of English?

I found a lot of what I read here on the forum to be quite exaggerated compared to what I actually experienced on the Camino.
Absolutely. Just do it. Deal with any inconveniences as they arise and getting out of your comfort zone might be educational.

There are a couple of albergues in Larrasoana 5 kms before Zubri the Albergue Concejo de Larrasoana is certainly nothing flash and when I was there I ended up across the road in the 'overflow' accommodation…it was a bed…if you go on Google Maps and zoom in to Larrasoana you will see there are other choices as I don't know what you are looking for budget wise.
Larrasoaña is after Zubiri.

No stadiums anywhere close by either only a treadmill at the Y that has a 31% setting on it and a stairmaster,

High school football bleachers? Courthouse/school stairs, if they are the tallest building in your town? After all, may as well put your tax dollars to work... StairMaster is fine but perhaps quads/hamstrings get better workout with real stairs?! Sand on the beach would be great training!

Hi Erin,

Nate.
Still having trouble getting a bed?

I am currently in Puente La Reina. I have had to make reservations and go in between the Brierly stages in order to get a bed. I am a slow walker and my experience is going to be much different than the experiences of those who fly by me on the Way.

You will have to figure out how the Camino will work out for you. You can get a lot of good information on this site, but take what everybody says with a grain of salt. I am having a wonderful time, but I had to ditch some of my plans because things aren't as easy for me as they are for some folks here.

Last edited:
Hi Erin,
Just chiming in with my two cents- I am currently on the Frances in Astorga. I have walked two Caminos, both in October, in 2012 and 2014, which were amazing.

When I got off the bus a few weekends ago in Pamplona, all albergues were full so I continued on 5k to the next place to find a place to stay. No big deal, but a slightly unsettling feeling came over me for a while after that. I admit I'm probably getting too caught up in the "bed rush" and being worried... AND every albergue I have stayed in since has filled up and we are now just going ahead and making reservations up until our last day. Just today we received an email back saying our intended albergue is full on Thursday night.

I don't tell you any of this to scare you, just to let you know how my time has been so far. I never thought I would be a book-ahead-pilgrim, but it is making me more comfortable and able to enjoy my walking time. Some people have had no issues- but most I talk to are also arriving in cities by 13:00, which seems to still be early enough to not be a big deal. Book ahead if you want, walk shorter distances if you want, stop or keep walking whenever you wish...any way you do it is fine, just find what works for you!

There will be a lot of people on the trail when you're walking, there's no argument about that. Just depends on your expectations, whether you will let it hinder or complement your experience. I myself enjoy quieter trails and being able to take some beautiful scenic trail photos without strangers in them, so I will probably stick with those October Caminos in the future ;) Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Hi :)

I have been following this forum for 4 years, leading up to my Camino. I have read books, seen movies and spoken to people in preparation for adventure, fully aware that my own adventure would be unique.

I have to say that after my research, including the advice from my new German-pilgrim friend sitting next to me right now here in Nájera - the Camino today? It is certainly very different and busier than expected.

I am enjoying every minute now :) wouldn't replace these new feelings for anything in the world!!
3 years ago today I was in Najera with a new found German friend. I know because facebook sent me a memory. I am walking the Portugues in September. Bom caminho.

I found that if you follow manuals like the majority do, you may found it hard to find beds. I tried to stop just passed the cities mentioned in most guides for stopping. I spent the night in an 18-bed private Albergue with only one other pilgrim. It was priced at 7 euros. Pensions, hostels, and hotels cost a bit to a lot more. I budgeted 45 Euros a day but averaged 24 euros per day(that is because one night I was forced to spend 140 Euros at a hotel.). Crowds were pretty large but I did have long periods of alone time. The Camino is one's person experience. Just chose it and enjoy your struggle. I will be back in Sept 2017 to finish my Camino. I had to stop early for a family health issue. This will be the hardest thing in your life to start. but never give up. The end gets closer every step.

Buen Camino!!

12 years ago the CSJ website suggested using other routes as the Frances was crowded..that's when there were 100.000 per year arriving, now it's 300,000.
I took that advise and did the VDLP..fantastic route that starts nice and flat, unlike the Frances, from the beautiful city of Seville.
One year I went from Le Puy to Santiago and walked off and on with a French girl. When she returned home she said the Frances was horrible,pushy inconsiderate people. I hated it so much I finished it in 28 days and that was when crowds were much much less than now.
In my opinion the FRances is well past its use by date..over rated and over crowded..there are multiple other routes. I'm doing the Sureste in 2 weeks followed by the GR 1 doing to Barcelona.

After Roncesvalles, see how it goes for a few days without booking and get a feel for how things are actually going. The biggest fear of the person I walked with was that we would not get a bed. We usually stopped 5 - 10 km before or after Brierly stopping points. We were fine until we go to Carrion de los Condes. We arrived there around 3 pm, so not late at all. No beds available. Had to get a cab to go 30 km to the next open albergue. After that, we booked ahead every night. I am not sure if that was necessary, but it gave her the security she needed to be able to keep walking and to enjoy herself the rest of the way. We found that the hosteleros were happy to help us book the next night.

Buen Camino,
Erin
I have walked the Camino Francis the last 3 years and return in 2 weeks to walk it again. Yes some days you see more people but every day after you establish a pace you may be walking alone if you choose. There has only been one time I did not find a room and that was on the first Camino. I had walked farther than planned with a young Spanish woman and she called a cab that took us to a bed in Los arcos. It was easy to get a taxi the next day back and resume walking. However that Spanish woman has become a best friend and she will pick me up from the train station in Pamplona May 29. My point is the Camino is magic and even a lack of a bed may be a very good thing so go and enjoy whatever happens. The people are my favorite part of the Camino. From Sharon wife of the member.

So, do I change routes? Do I find somewhere a little less "crazy" than the Frances for my first camino?

Buen Camino,
Erin

Erin and everyone that responded to your post.

I am from Texas. I have been touring India by myself for the past 2.5 weeks and I leaving for Barcelona, Spain, tonight to start El Camino Frances in 3 days. I planned all along to do the Frances starting in SJPdP. I had/have similar concerns as you so after talking to someone I met here, I was considering Camino Del Norte.

But after reading your post today and thanks to all the responses, I am sticking to my original plan.

If anyone has a suggestion on staying in SJPdP.

Buen Camino

Leo

€83,-
Erin and everyone that responded to your post.

I am from Texas. I have been touring India by myself for the past 2.5 weeks and I leaving for Barcelona, Spain, tonight to start El Camino Frances in 3 days. I planned all along to do the Frances starting in SJPdP. I had/have similar concerns as you so after talking to someone I met here, I was considering Camino Del Norte.

But after reading your post today and thanks to all the responses, I am sticking to my original plan.

If anyone has a suggestion on staying in SJPdP.

Buen Camino

Leo
Bellari is awesome and takes reservations

Hate to add rain to the parade and to drop my rose coloured glasses, but after 8 years of caminos (6 weeks at a time) there is no doubt the camino is getting busier. Not just the Frances as simililar reports of full albergues on the Portuguese etc. I just finished the Frances, Primitivo and Finisterre/Muxia starting April 4th and even starting is the "slow" season is now very busy. And yes the Easter rush always happens at this time of year... but its more than that.

The good news is that the Primitvo (the best of all caminos imho) was busier than in the past but still bearable and the Finisterre/Muxia also quite good 3specially with the new Albergues springing up. My recommendation is to do the Frances from SjPdP to Burgos and decide from there if you want to bus or train to Oviedo for the Primitivo. Aside what some say of the Primitivo being so difficult, it really isnt so bad. And the views, people, food, albergues are incredible. And on the Frances I recommend you use one of the smartphone apps with albergue phone numbers and book a bed ahead a couple of days. If the camino is not crazy busy than do it the old fashioned way and just show up.

The caminos are all amazing experiences... and you have lots of options. Best to be informed though, hence this note with my post camino experience a few days after finishing. Enjoy.

You've gotten so much great advice, but thought I'd chime in with a few more cents worth! You can get caught up in the 'bed rush' if you choose, or you can trust the Camino to provide -- and then stay away from the guidebook end stages. Those towns/villages were the places last year (which was a holy year, and very busy) where people had the most challenges finding beds. I had friends about a week ahead of me texting back that I 'must' book a room at least 2 days in advance. I never did, and I only once was turned away. 2KM further on I had a bed. In my experience, that frantic, fearful energy only attracts like energy to itself. This is such a beautiful, transformational experience. Enjoy every step of it -- even the ones that seem less than ideal. It is a microcosm of life. Ask yourself how you deal with small challenges that life presents you. Sometimes the most incredible experiences come as a result of perceived adversity. Buen camino, peregrina!

So, do I change routes?

I highly recommend the Frances as a first time. Last year we ran into some crowds at the end (last 100k) of the Camino Frances, but we quickly found that by staying "between" the Brierly stops you could lose most of the crowd.

there seems almost a state of panic, of got to go, make a reservation, it's going to be crazy this year. This is not the Camino I have envisioned for 6 years. So, do I change routes?
Don't add to the state of panic. If you aren't happy with the route you are on, get on a bus and go somewhere else! You have some good recent experience, so go with full confidence and minimal expectations. (Let go of the 6 years of envisioning!)

Just a quick note, I arrived in Santiago today (May 23) having started in Logrono on April 28. The route was busy over the May 1 holiday weekend, and trafric increased after Sarria as others have noted. But at no point was it difficult to find accommodation in municipal albergue. There were a number of fellow peregrinos who worried about finding places to stay and regularly called ahead to reserve. But at no point was this necessary over the last 4 weeks.

Congratulations Doug!

Buen Camino,
Erin
I finished CF early May 2017. It was crowded Easter Week and from Saria to Santiago. I didnt mind the crowds Easter week, as I met lots of nice people, but the Saria crowds were not enjoyable, they were noisy, caotic, touristy and in general not as peaceful as the other 300 miles I walked.

I will not walk CF again, but do Portugeese or Northern coastal route.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just let go. :) Or, bring a tent. Nobody really seems to care where you camp, as long as it isn't the town square, you are polite, and clean up after yourself. Then, you're completely free to do as you like. If there is a bed in the refuge, then there is a bed, if not, then not. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it..... but we camped once right in the centre of Burgos and nobody really noticed or bothered us... :)

Buen Camino,
Erin

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back