• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino If the food in the fridge is not yours...

A

Anemone del Camino

Because of an injured knee, I am staying two night at Casa Elena's. As today is Sunday, ipon arrival in the village yesterday, I hobbled to the shop to buy food for today: yogourt, 2 oranges, a zucchini, a small onion, a pepper and a clara. Other pilgrims had kindly left me pasta and cheese as well.

Woke up at 6 am while roommates were packing, accompanied them while they had breakfast (they gave me 4 other yogourts) and went back to sleep when they left.

Woke up hungry, went to the fridge, and it is empty!

For the love of God, if the food is not yours, and especially if you are not the last one to leave the albergue, and of it all looks too good, and too much, to have just been abandonned, HANDS OFF.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry to hear about this @Anemone del Camino . Things like this can really put a dent in your day. The cost of the stuff you lose isn't important - it is the frustration and undermining of trust in your fellow walkers.

Sorry to hear about this @Anemone del Camino . Things like this can really put a dent in your day. The cost of the stuff you lose isn't important - it is the frustration and undermining of trust in your fellow walkers.
Absolutely. And the fact that it is Sunday and that I will have to walk to them. More restaurant meals for me, aka "another non veggie day in Spain". :(

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Food saga continues. Cleaning lady informed hospy about the missong food.

He just came up with 2 pilgrims and told me there was a plastic bag outside on the sidewalk. He went to look... My food! All but the yogourts and the cooked pasta. I am a happy camper, as what I really wanted were the veggies.

But who does this? Who, steals food from the fridge, and when realising it was a few kg of fruits and veg and not chocolate or other pilgrim delights, leaves it on the sidewalk?

Still, the word of advice remains: if it ain't yours, don't touch it.

Sorry to read this.As a'veggie' I found Sundays a problem with food supplies,so I hope you can find a veggie meal.Do not let inconsiderate people spoil your Camino,and I hope your knee heals soon.God Bless.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry to read this.As a'veggie' I found Sundays a problem with food supplies,so I hope you can find a veggie meal.Do not let inconsiderate people spoil your Camino,and I hope your knee heals soon.God Bless.
I am glad I am not a veggeratarian, because that would be missing out on so much of what Spain has to offer while in a Camino, but I consume a lot of beggies and fruits at home and was looing forward to a good stirfry of some sort today.

For veggetarians, Dia supermarket sells plastic containers of a gorgeous ratatouille, called Pisto here, as well as other quinoa and al. mixes that look intersting. I have found the pisto twice, and at a bit over 2€ it makes a fantastic meal.

I have to say that Paco, Sra Elena's son and hospy has been fantanstic: knowing that my yogourts had disappeared, he went into iphis own fridge to bring me a selection to chose from, and would not take no for an answer.

Because of an injured knee, I am staying two night at Casa Elena's. As today is Sunday, ipon arrival in the village yesterday, I hobbled to the shop to buy food for today: yogourt, 2 oranges, a zucchini, a small onion, a pepper and a clara. Other pilgrims had kindly left me pasta and cheese as well.

Woke up at 6 am while roommates were packing, accompanied them while they had breakfast (they gave me 4 other yogourts) and went back to sleep when they left.

For the love of God, if the food is not yours, and especially if you are not the last one to leave the albergue, and of it all looks too good, and too much, to have just been abandonned, HANDS OFF.
That is just a scum bag thing to do. Some people on the Camino should not be there. That may upset some here but really, are they that needy? Or just selfish and greedy. Hope 'said' people read this. Shame on you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm sorry this happened to you, Anemone--and am glad that you at least got your veggies back. What kind of people indeed. Most of us can't imagine doing that.
'Said' people will not likely be coming here, unfortunately, for the necessary reality check and lesson in manners. What bad karma they have created on this Easter Sunday!

I'm having more luck today than the poor man who collapsed in the bar below. Ambulance took more than 25 minutes to get here.

Now sitting at restaurant de Caparra, drinking a red from the province of Badajos, waiting for my pulpo salad and iberico pork.

I know there have been discussions in the past on the forum about sulfites not being found in Spanish wines in Spain, but in their exports. I have paid attention and every red I have been served in a bottle has had sulphites. But so interesting to taste wines from regions unknown abroad, even if they are not going to win world awards. Today's is from the Ribera del Guadiana, the river that passes through Merida.

http://www.payva.es/

I think if we are leaving food at an albergue we should try and mark it with pen or something. I'm happy to leave skint/hungry folk some food, but no-one should just help themselves unless they know it's been left ( like our jar of leftover Vegis pasta that we forgot at the albergue in Castelblanco the other day!)
Oh yes, that Guadiana wine is LOVELY! Especially after camping right next to the vines it came from...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

He just came up with 2 pilgrims and told me there was a plastic bag outside on the sidewalk. He went to look... My food! All but the yogourts and the cooked pasta. I am a happy camper, as what I really wanted were the veggies.

But who does this? Who, steals food from the fridge, and when realising it was a few kg of fruits and veg and not chocolate or other pilgrim delights, leaves it on the sidewalk?

I doubt it would be anyone on this forum. It is disappointing though when it does happen.Happy Easter.

Who knows why the person took the food in the first place? Who knows why he/she kept the yogurt and left the rest of the food on the sidewalk in front of the albergue? Perhaps it was all done in a moment of weakness or personal confusion. Perhaps he will spend the rest of his Camino trying to forgive himself this transgression, and praying for forgiveness. Let's forgive and be forgiven. :):)

I know there have been discussions in the past on the forum about sulfites not being found in Spanish wines in Spain, but in their exports. I have paid attention and every red I have been served in a bottle has had sulphites.

http://www.payva.es/

Sulfites happen naturally with fermentation, every wine will have a little bit. Added sulfites (required by the USA for imported wine) are another thing altogether, they make it shelf-stable but they also make it undrinkable for people like me (waaah!)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sulfites happen naturally with fermentation, every wine will have a little bit. Added sulfites (required by the USA for imported wine) are another thing altogether, they make it shelf-stable but they also make it undrinkable for people like me (waaah!)
Years ago I went to a church resources exhibition. One of the stalls was promoting non-alcoholic communion wine. They had thimble-sized sample glasses to taste. It had me choking and coughing with a burning sensation in my throat. I picked up the bottle and saw printed on the label "Warning: Not to be taken as a beverage". Decided to stick with port for church use. Much safer!

Some years ago in an albergue on the Norte pilgrims stole my unopened bottle of wine and then tried to say that it was my fault for leaving it unattended! They were very aggressive.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

I think most of us learn this in our first apartment share experience.

One possible explanation: It could have been someone who sent their partner down to "get our stuff out of the fridge".
Then she (of course) saw him eating a yoghurt and said: Where did you get that?
Him: Out of our bag of food. Her: Not it's not....
Then, they realised it wasn't their stuff so left it at the (then closed) door of the albergue.

Very sorry this happened to you and I hope your knee recovers soon.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One of the stalls was promoting non-alcoholic communion wine. They had thimble-sized sample glasses to taste. It had me choking and coughing with a burning sensation in my throat. I picked up the bottle and saw printed on the label "Warning: Not to be taken as a beverage".

That's why the priests pray fervently and bless them first before drinking. :p

Last edited:

We had a similar experience at the Albergue in Alvaiazere, where we mistakingly left a couple of oranges in a plastic bag in the kitchen overnight, meant for our breakfast. We came in to make coffee in the morning, saw orange peels in the rubbish bin and thought "they looked like nice oranges". Yes they were, they were ours, all gone, eaten, taken, STOLEN! Taking food that's not yours is theft. if it's not yours leave it alone.

I think most of us learn this in our first apartment share experience.

One possible explanation: It could have been someone who sent their partner down to "get our stuff out of the fridge".
Then she (of course) saw him eating a yoghurt and said: Where did you get that?
Him: Out of our bag of food. Her: Not it's not....
Then, they realised it wasn't their stuff so left it at the (then closed) door of the albergue.

Very sorry this happened to you and I hope your knee recovers soon.
I would like to think that that is what actually happened.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back