• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If We Decide to Come Home . . .

Frank66

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2016 Camino Frances
September (2017) First stage of Camino Portugués
Hi Forum Family,
due to time constraints this year, we are walking from Rocenvalles and probably will end up somewhere around Leon.
What are our best options for getting back to London Stansted (Where my car will be patiently waiting)
I was considering public transport to Santiago, and then a flight from there. Are there any other options I should consider (walking to Santiago isn't an option due to work calendars), and I realise that I can't fly to UK from Leon or Burgos.
Any input always welcome . . . . Recommendations and reasons as to why they are good ones please
Ps looking at arriving back in the UK weekend 23rd/24th September..

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would suggest Madrid. Direct Alsa buses from Leon to the airport and flights from Madrid to Stansted.
Hi, thanks for the quick response - will look into that :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There is another thread running at the moment on Bla Bla Car which seems very popular in Spain. You might consider that as an option for at least part of the journey. Here is the thread

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Frank66 I just came home on Saturday evening midway from Burgos, and had looked at options, deciding on Madrid for the biggest choice of direct flights (to Dublin in my case). I booked my ALSA bus from Burgos direct to the airport, which is definitely worth doing as it cuts down the hassle of getting from central Madrid to the airport. Some buses go to the airport and some don't. Worth booking ahead - my (particular) bus was full and I got the last seat booking about 10 days in advance. I don't know why, but I always have difficulty getting ALSA to accept a payment but the movelia site http://www.movelia.es/en/index.html always works perfectly for me.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I also think Madrid is your best answer especially considering the cost of the flights. The cheapest from Santiago that weekend is £224 on the Saturday and £77 (or £121 with checked bag) and those prices are bound to rise.

Madrid, on the other hand, has Saturday flights starting from £24 (or £ 53 with bag) and only a pound or two cheaper on Sunday.

There were no cheaper flights in my search from places such as La Coruna so if it was me i would bus to Madrid and catch a flight from there.

Edited to include the above suggestion of Bilbao at £30 or £46 with a checked bag and if you really needed another alternative Zaragoza has an evening flight starting at £22.

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Also check flight from Bilbao.
Bus from Burgos or Bilbao to London (Alsa/Eurolines) is around €120 and takes 24-29 hours. I've flown from Manchester to Bilbao for €75 and Bilbao to Gatwick for similar (Vueling). I've noticed that Barcelona and Madrid seems to often have lower costs than other places.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Forum Family,
due to time constraints this year, we are walking from Rocenvalles and probably will end up somewhere around Leon.
What are our best options for getting back to London Stansted (Where my car will be patiently waiting)
I was considering public transport to Santiago, and then a flight from there. Are there any other options I should consider (walking to Santiago isn't an option due to work calendars), and I realise that I can't fly to UK from Leon or Burgos.
Any input always welcome . . . . Recommendations and reasons as to why they are good ones please
Ps looking at arriving back in the UK weekend 23rd/24th September..

Buen Camino!
Hi
A friend and I walked 260 ml in May, ending in Sahagun, a bit before Leon, where, incidentally, you can get a beautiful certificate from one of the churches to say you’ve walked half the Camino.

We got a train direct to Bilbao and a very cheap flight from there to Stansted.

Good luck

Helen

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back