• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

if you’re not tired of looking at packing lists anyone want to chime in on newbie list for april-june? (frances)

F

Former member 94614

i am a new pilgrim starting april 22 in roncesvalles via a couple days in Pamplona. will have til about june 6 to finish up in SDC. anyone want to chime in on my proposed packing list? all told, the pack never weighs more than 10lbs one way or the other, excluding water.

wearing:

merino t-shirt- base layer

appalachian gear lightweight alpaca wool sweater- mid layer

REI Flash wind jacket with DWR- outer layer plus..(i have a disposable poncho or can buy altus in Pamplona if heavy rain in forecast)

REI convertible pants

wool socks w/injinji liners

altra lonepeak 5’s (OR keen newport sandals??? both work very well for me)

cowboy hat sun hat

scarf for multiple uses

merino boxers

synthetic bra

buff

**(i have a couple of long-sleeve sun protection button down shirts but am not sure if 1 or 2 of those would be more than what is needed? i chose merino as it doesn’t smell and can skip daily laundry if desired. can use scarf to cover arms in sun instead of taking the l/s shirt or should i take one of the l/s shirts?)

carrying:

deuter futura 25L SL pack w/cover (it does weigh almost 3lbs but it fits perfectly, carries well and feels light!)

snugpak jungle bag sleeping bag (instead of liner. thinking it seems durable enough to sleep outside w/this in a pinch!)

merino t-shirt base layer

convertible pants (**should i really leave one set of the bottom part at home? i don’t understand what you do here.)

synthetic bra

merino boxers

birkenstock EVA sandals or take the Keens as shower/backup?(any comments or insight? i’m thinking that while the birks are very light the keens would be great as backup and better for walking around the towns at the end of the day?)

toiletries

half terry cloth towel i HATE the microfiber ones

first aid

“s” hook

passport/other docs

shell/stone

notebook/pen

device for peeing standing up as a woman with a bandana in lieu of TP

hiking poles (to get in Pamplona)

basic swiss army knife (to get in Pamplona)

brierly hard copy 2019 (i have the 2022 on my kindle/phone but like to see it on paper)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello fellow peregrina from Minnesota! 10 lbs.? You're good to go! Keens would be a perfect choice and definitely better for walking around town. One extra pair of socks and one extra pair of undies only? Maybe consider adding one pair of socks and one of undies? Just saying:)

Hello fellow peregrina from Minnesota! 10 lbs.? You're good to go! Keens would be a perfect choice and definitely better for walking around town. One extra pair of socks and one extra pair of undies only? Maybe consider adding one pair of socks and one of undies? Just saying:)
hi there- yep you betcha! i was thinking maybe i should throw in another set of socks. so you think take the keens only and ditch the altra lonepeaks or take the keens as backup? thanks :). if you are in MN right now then you know how frustrated i am with all the ICE! let’s hope it clears up soon!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Overall, you look ready! Definitely three pairs of socks total - you never know when you might lose one or have a hole. Also, one long sleeve shirt is good to have - protects from sun, wind, and cold nights in an albergue. Not sure what your sandals look like, but you definitely need a closed-toe shoe on the trail.

It had to happen eventually - a list that we’re suggesting adding to!

Good choice of rucksacks; 25l minimises the amount of excess that you might be tempted to carry.

The EVAs are perfectly durable enough for ‘round town’; but they’ll probably be ready for the trash after thirty-some evenings.

Last edited:
hi there- yep you betcha! i was thinking maybe i should throw in another set of socks. so you think take the keens only and ditch the altra lonepeaks or take the keens as backup? thanks :). if you are in MN right now then you know how frustrated i am with all the ICE! let’s hope it clears up soon!
Definitely take your Altra Lone Peak shoes!! Which weigh less your Keens or your Birks? Both work in the shower, right? And both would work to walk around town? Depends on which you prefer:)

Also, can the leg part of both your convertible pants be interchangeable? If that's the case, ditch one set! Or take a skort and a pair of convertible pants:;)

Another recommendation if you don't mind, instead of synthetic sports bras, if you could get wool you'd be much happier and odorless even after days of sweating. Ibex, Icebreaker, Smartwool, etc. are a possibility, and there are other brands too, I'm just not familiar with all of them. You won't regret the investment😌

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
i was thinking maybe i should throw in another set of socks. so you think take the keens only and ditch the altra lonepeaks or take the keens as backup? thanks
I have walked my last three Caminos exclusively in sandals, so if the Keens work as well for you as the Altras, there's no need to take both. You might want flip flops or something light for wearing around the albergues.
An extra pair of socks is a good idea. On warm days it's a good idea to switch out to dry socks periodically, and you never know when a sock or two will go missing from a clothesline.

The EVAs are perfectly durable enough for ‘round town’; but they’ll probably be ready for the trash after thirty-some evenings.

I've had a pair of EVA Birkenstocks that I bought in Berlin four years ago that are still in decent shape after thousands of miles. So durability isn't an issue.

Support and foot stability while hiking, however, are important - which is why I'm not taking a new pair of EVA Birks on my Camino, even though I love them. Instead I'm taking a pair of Teva Universal Trail sandals as my backup/second shoe pair since they can do double duty as an alternate pair of walking shoes (as great as the EVA Birks are they're not ideal for uneven terrain) as well as something to wear in the shower and while lounging around at the end of the day. The extra weight (about 300g extra for the pair) is worth it for me.

Which is to say: I vote taking the Keens as a secondary/backup pair of shoes if you can manage the weight and room in your pack. You'll likely get more use out of them than the EVA Birks for the above reasons.

I've had a pair of EVA Birkenstocks that I bought in Berlin four years ago that are still in decent shape after thousands of miles. So durability isn't an issue.

Support and foot stability while hiking, however, are important - which is why I'm not taking a new pair of EVA Birks on my Camino, even though I love them. Instead I'm taking a pair of Teva Universal Trail sandals as my backup/second shoe pair since they can do double duty as an alternate pair of walking shoes (as great as the EVA Birks are they're not ideal for uneven terrain) as well as something to wear in the shower and while lounging around at the end of the day. The extra weight (about 300g extra for the pair) is worth it for me.

Which is to say: I vote taking the Keens as a secondary/backup pair of shoes if you can manage the weight and room in your pack. You'll likely get more use out of them than the EVA Birks for the above reasons.
thx i am definitely leaning toward taking the keens as my evening sandal and maybe all day! am open to donating the lonepeaks if i realize i dont want them at all! thanks all :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My two cents … when I have worn keen sandals in the shower, they are hard to take off and put back on compared to EVA birkies or flip flops, and really uncomfortable to try to just stand on top of without inserting my foot. More importantly, the straps get wet and stay wet for a long time. I don’t think they would work well as dual duty shower shoes/evening footwear.

I would bring the Altra Lone Peaks or Keens or whatever you want to hike in and the birkies. I find EVA birkies durable but flimsy for walking around on cobblestones and gravel. I use them around the albergue but put my hiking shoes back on if I go out.

thx i am definitely leaning toward taking the keens as my evening sandal and maybe all day! am open to donating the lonepeaks if i realize i dont want them at all! thanks all :)
That sounds like a very sensible approach. If you end up donating the Altras and want light flip flops or slides to wear around the albergue you can find them in stores along the way.

My two cents … when I have worn keen sandals in the shower, they are hard to take off and put back on compared to EVA birkies or flip flops, and really uncomfortable to try to just stand on top of without inserting my foot. More importantly, the straps get wet and stay wet for a long time. I don’t think they would work well as dual duty shower shoes/evening footwear.

I would bring the Altra Lone Peaks or Keens or whatever you want to hike in and the birkies. I find EVA birkies durable but flimsy for walking around on cobblestones and gravel. I use them around the albergue but put my hiking shoes back on if I go out.
yeah that's one thing i dont get about the keens as they are "water" sandals, but love them anyway. i get it- birks for inside snd put hiking shoes back on when go out. makes sense. thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That sounds like a very sensible approach. If you end up donating the Altras and want light flip flops or slides to wear around the albergue you can find them in stores along the way.
thank you. someone will get lucky!

yeah that's one thing i dont get about the keens as they are "water" sandals, but love them anyway.
I think keens are great as water shoes for rafting, which is what they were created to do, for fording rivers while wilderness backpacking, working in the garden, and lots of other things. Personally, I don’t find them comfortable for much walking. But they really don’t function well as shower shoes, ime. They are also really heavy. Fortunately, flip flops or EVA birkies do work very well in the shower and are super light weight.

long-sleeve sun protection button down shirts but am not sure if 1 or 2 of those would be more than what is needed?
I suggest that you take both of these. You will likely find that you will want the sweater mainly for the evenings, and you don't have another warm layer for the evenings. The long-sleeve sun-shirt will be a useful layer for either a bit of warmth, or for sun protection while you are walking. However, there is no reason to take two of them.

Personally I would probably add a very lightweight merino long sleeve base layer (100 g). On cool mornings, I wear it over my t-shirt and under my sun shirt. After 30 minutes, I pull off my buff, and after an hour I might stop and remove the middle long sleeve layer. That can also be good to have on cold nights.

So, I've suggested adding two shirts and this could be a problem for your 25L backpack. I chill easily so I prefer to take more layers, but of course you will need to decide on your own trade-offs!!

Yes, to extra socks and underpants.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Cowboy hat - how does it fit with your pack? A full wide brimmed hat might not work with your pack. I get one that has a wide brimmed front but then more of a legionaire style back with a removable flap to cover your neck.

I love convertible pants. That said - After the first week I was losing enough weight that mine felt way too lose. Does yours come with a belt? Or will you be wearing a belt? I personally ended up being most comfortable with leggings and lightweight gym shorts during the day and in the evenings/night I had a pair of silk yoga pants (easier to get on after a shower than leggings and looked a little nicer for around town). I ended up rarely using my convertible pants and I never zipped off the bottoms as I had planned to.

Synthetic bra - I found that these often took too long to dry. And they retain smells. If you can find a merino wool bra that might be better - unless you need more support than I do. I am bringing merino wool panties as well this time instead of my exoficio panties I brought last year. Although I did like them as well.

Instead of a terry cloth half towel - look into turkish towels. They are bigger but really thin and they dry really fast. Mine doubled as a blanket. Plus you can use it as a picnic blanket or hang from a bunk above for for more privacy/prevent lights from shining on you while you sleep. They are still pretty lightweight considering they offer full body coverage. I don't like the microfiber ones either.

Peeing device - not sure if it worth the extra weight. There are plenty of bars to stop in, get a drink or small snack, use the toilets, and go on. Sure - I did have a couple times I still had to pee outside - but certainly not often enough to want to carry extra unnecessary weight.

1 sunshirt to be worn over your merino t-shirts is plenty. I picked one with a hood for when I needed protection on the back of my head/neck (I ended up not wearing my hat nearly as often as I thought I would.

You might wish you had packed a sleeping bag liner - the beds come with super thin disposable bottom sheets that don't fit very well on the bed. Plus, there are days that the sleeping bag might be too much (but don't ditch the bag - I did and was COLD almost every night in June/July 2021

Shoes - stick with the altras and then use a lightweight pair of sandals that you can hike AND shower in for around town. For me, the original style Tevas worked well. I didn't always need to wear them in the showers - but they do dry fast when you feel the need to wear them in the showers.

I also didn't find the need to have a knife... instead I have a pair of nail clippers that have a tiny scissors attached.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think keens are great as water shoes for rafting, which is what they were created to do, for fording rivers while wilderness backpacking, working in the garden, and lots of other things. Personally, I don’t find them comfortable for much walking. But they really don’t function well as shower shoes, ime. They are also really heavy. Fortunately, flip flops or EVA birkies do work very well in the shower and are super light weight.
thx i find the keens give me great stability when carrying my pack and are super comfortable. wont use in shower -am now considering little neoprene shower socks to save bulk
Cowboy hat - how does it fit with your pack? A full wide brimmed hat might not work with your pack. I get one that has a wide brimmed front but then more of a legionaire style back with a removable flap to cover your neck.

I love convertible pants. That said - After the first week I was losing enough weight that mine felt way too lose. Does yours come with a belt? Or will you be wearing a belt? I personally ended up being most comfortable with leggings and lightweight gym shorts during the day and in the evenings/night I had a pair of silk yoga pants (easier to get on after a shower than leggings and looked a little nicer for around town). I ended up rarely using my convertible pants and I never zipped off the bottoms as I had planned to.

Synthetic bra - I found that these often took too long to dry. And they retain smells. If you can find a merino wool bra that might be better - unless you need more support than I do. I am bringing merino wool panties as well this time instead of my exoficio panties I brought last year. Although I did like them as well.

Instead of a terry cloth half towel - look into turkish towels. They are bigger but really thin and they dry really fast. Mine doubled as a blanket. Plus you can use it as a picnic blanket or hang from a bunk above for for more privacy/prevent lights from shining on you while you sleep. They are still pretty lightweight considering they offer full body coverage. I don't like the microfiber ones either.

Peeing device - not sure if it worth the extra weight. There are plenty of bars to stop in, get a drink or small snack, use the toilets, and go on. Sure - I did have a couple times I still had to pee outside - but certainly not often enough to want to carry extra unnecessary weight.

1 sunshirt to be worn over your merino t-shirts is plenty. I picked one with a hood for when I needed protection on the back of my head/neck (I ended up not wearing my hat nearly as often as I thought I would.

You might wish you had packed a sleeping bag liner - the beds come with super thin disposable bottom sheets that don't fit very well on the bed. Plus, there are days that the sleeping bag might be too much (but don't ditch the bag - I did and was COLD almost every night in June/July 2021

Shoes - stick with the altras and then use a lightweight pair of sandals that you can hike AND shower in for around town. For me, the original style Tevas worked well. I didn't always need to wear them in the showers - but they do dry fast when you feel the need to wear them in the showers.
thx! the hat is a crushable hat that looks like a cowboy hat-upf 50.

i really prefer to wear shorts but sm taking convertibles in case sun too intense on legs.

havent found a merino bra i like- might just ditch the bra all together ala shirley mclain :)!

i'm happy w my towel - thin, light, and works well on test

if i can fit the altras and keens will take both til i see what it is really like over there. shower socks otherwise

the peeing thing is only a couple ounces and i find it is useful for super gross toilets and porta-potties as well as if stuck nowhere near a town

thx!

havent found a merino bra i like- might just ditch the bra all together ala shirley mclain :)!

Braless works too! Or at least for "if" your synthetic bras don't dry fast enough.

And your towel will be fine - as long as it dries fast enough. My goal was to do laundry by 2-3pm and then to pack the dry clothes before I went to bed. Most of the time that was plenty of time for everything to dry - just had a few items that had issues - especially on rainy days where drying was more challenging.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think keens are great as water shoes for rafting, which is what they were created to do, for fording rivers while wilderness backpacking, working in the garden, and lots of other things. Personally, I don’t find them comfortable for much walking. But they really don’t function well as shower shoes, ime. They are also really heavy.

thx i find the keens give me great stability when carrying my pack and are super comfortable. wont use in shower -am now considering little neoprene shower socks to save bulk

All good points ... except that now this conversation is reminding me once again of the respective drawbacks of each of the secondary/backup shoes I was considering: the shoes that are perfect for showering and relaxing in aren't great for walking any distance with a backpack, and the shoes that are great for backpacking aren't ideal for the shower. So now I'm back to weighing my options again after finally settling on those Tevas I mentioned. Sigh. 😞

For me, Camino footwear isn’t difficult. I bring my hiking shoes and EVA birkies.

If weight weren’t a concern, I would bring more than two pairs of footwear. But it is a concern, so I focus on the two most important functions I want from my footwear, which are comfort and protection on the trail and in public showers. The footwear I bring needs to do those two things well, and if they do not do other things so well, that is secondary. The fact that keens, tevas, etc are so much heavier than the birkies makes it even easier to decide. Walking around in the evening in my hiking shoes is not a big deal, especially if I have given my feet a break from them for a few hours in the afternoon.

I would love to bring some shoes for strolling around in the evening or sightseeing on days off, but I can’t afford the weight.

If your priorities are different from mine, other choices will be better for you, so think through your priorities and then how easy it would be to make corrections along the way, for example picking up a pair of flip flops for a few euros or ditching a pair of shoes and eating that cost.

Last edited:
All good points ... except that now this conversation is reminding me once again of the respective drawbacks of each of the secondary/backup shoes I was considering: the shoes that are perfect for showering and relaxing in aren't great for walking any distance with a backpack, and the shoes that are great for backpacking aren't ideal for the shower. So now I'm back to weighing my options again after finally settling on those Tevas I mentioned. Sigh. 😞
Honestly - I think the sandals you can hike in are more important than the sandals you can shower in. You could always get a plastic bag or something to stand on in the shower if you are worried about "dirty" showers. But if you don't have sandals you can hike in, you don't have shoes to change into if for some reason your main walking shoes aren't working for you. Or you could always have the hiking sandal and a cheap pair of throw away flip flops. I just take my Tevas in the shower on the rare occasion I feel the need to wear them in the shower. They really don't take long to dry.

i am a new pilgrim starting april 22 in roncesvalles via a couple days in Pamplona. will have til about june 6 to finish up in SDC. anyone want to chime in on my proposed packing list? all told, the pack never weighs more than 10lbs one way or the other, excluding water.

wearing:

REI Flash wind jacket with DWR- outer layer plus..(i have a disposable poncho or can buy altus in Pamplona if heavy rain in forecast)

REI convertible pants

cowboy hat sun hat

scarf for multiple uses

merino boxers

synthetic bra

buff

**(i have a couple of long-sleeve sun protection button down shirts but am not sure if 1 or 2 of those would be more than what is needed? i chose merino as it doesn’t smell and can skip daily laundry if desired. can use scarf to cover arms in sun instead of taking the l/s shirt or should i take one of the l/s shirts?)

carrying:

deuter futura 25L SL pack w/cover (it does weigh almost 3lbs but it fits perfectly, carries well and feels light!)

snugpak jungle bag sleeping bag (instead of liner. thinking it seems durable enough to sleep outside w/this in a pinch!)

convertible pants (**should i really leave one set of the bottom part at home? i don’t understand what you do here.)

synthetic bra

merino boxers

birkenstock EVA sandals or take the Keens as shower/backup?(any comments or insight? i’m thinking that while the birks are very light the keens would be great as backup and better for walking around the towns at the end of the day?)

toiletries

first aid

“s” hook

passport/other docs

shell/stone

notebook/pen

brierly hard copy 2019 (i have the 2022 on my kindle/phone but like to see it on paper)
Hi. I know this does not answer your question, but just wanted to let you know I'll be starting out a day behind you and finishing up at the same time. I'm a newbie too. I hope our paths cross. :)

'Wishing you a Buen Camino! As a fellow Minnesota, who started on April 20, 2016 I'll chime in. You're lighter than I was, which is great. I packed my fears and brought too much first aid. I ditched the shower sandals, but had trail runners to hike in and keen sandals for around town. 'Found the showers generally pretty clean as I'd start early and quit early. I'd make sure you have rain gear. Weather is cold and unpredictable the first week or two. I found an Altus on Ebay. I only brought a sleeping bag liner but was cold the first couple weeks. Had a pair of longies to sleep in but left them in donativo box in St. Jean as my pack was so full I didn't have room for food. You're allowing plenty of time, so take it slow, esp. in the beginning. 'Consider a thin stocking cap or beanie you can discard. I also bought gloves just past Roncesvalles and wore them every morning all the way to Santiago. There were many mornings below freezing between April 20 and May 20. 'Was the trip of a lifetime! -Luther, Forest Lake

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

wearing:

REI convertible pants

cowboy hat sun hat

scarf for multiple uses

merino boxers

synthetic bra

buff

carrying:

synthetic bra

merino boxers

toiletries

first aid

“s” hook

passport/other docs

shell/stone

notebook/pen

I be taking 5kg in my backpack next week according to my weighing scales plus hiking sticks which Is another kg ..I added a week of toiletries and a small first aid kit with ibuprofen, vasaline for my feet before I set off each morning

i am a new pilgrim starting april 22 in roncesvalles via a couple days in Pamplona. will have til about june 6 to finish up in SDC.

carrying:

Hi There, I am leaving from Roncesvalles on April 20, after 3 days in Pomplona and have until June 8th to complete my walk, so maybe we will meet along the way :). Other than a thin skull type hat and gloves for cold mornings I don't have anything to add to your list. I wanted to ask about the weight of your pack. I have a Deuter SL 30L pack and it's weight is 1 lbs 14 oz (860 g). I wondered about the 3 lbs weight for yours since it's also an SL but smaller? Just curious really.... Buen Camino

Hi. I know this does not answer your question, but just wanted to let you know I'll be starting out a day behind you and finishing up at the same time. I'm a newbie too. I hope our paths cross. :)
hi there- thx for letting me know- i am a slow walker so undoubetdly you'll catch up- that would be nice :)! buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi There, I am leaving from Roncesvalles on April 20, after 3 days in Pomplona and have until June 8th to complete my walk, so maybe we will meet along the way :). Other than a thin skull type hat and gloves for cold mornings I don't have anything to add to your list. I wanted to ask about the weight of your pack. I have a Deuter SL 30L pack and it's weight is 1 lbs 14 oz (860 g). I wondered about the 3 lbs weight for yours since it's also an SL but smaller? Just curious really.... Buen Camino
that is interesting re the deuter pack (mine is 2.9 lbs)-quite a difference! you can see it on the deuter website. i had also tried the 28l deuter trail sl which was great (among many others) but this one is the only one i totally forget is there! how uncanny we have almost the same schedule! i'll be in pamplona from the 19th - 22nd when i take the bus to roncesvalles. see you sometime i would imagine!

'Wishing you a Buen Camino! As a fellow Minnesota, who started on April 20, 2016 I'll chime in. You're lighter than I was, which is great. I packed my fears and brought too much first aid. I ditched the shower sandals, but had trail runners to hike in and keen sandals for around town. 'Found the showers generally pretty clean as I'd start early and quit early. I'd make sure you have rain gear. Weather is cold and unpredictable the first week or two. I found an Altus on Ebay. I only brought a sleeping bag liner but was cold the first couple weeks. Had a pair of longies to sleep in but left them in donativo box in St. Jean as my pack was so full I didn't have room for food. You're allowing plenty of time, so take it slow, esp. in the beginning. 'Consider a thin stocking cap or beanie you can discard. I also bought gloves just past Roncesvalles and wore them every morning all the way to Santiago. There were many mornings below freezing between April 20 and May 20. 'Was the trip of a lifetime! -Luther, Forest Lake
hi luther - thank you for all that! your trip sounds like quite the adventure :) i appreciate your tips. i have decided to take a light rain jacket instead of the windbreaker and sm adding a rain skirt, some leggings and beanie. having trouble now with the lonepeaks -they gave me a blister today after a year of hiking in them! a sign? so might just do the keens for day snd birks for night. lastly- i'm in mpls so we are neighbors. is there any sort of pilgrim group around here that you know of?

btw what is the name of you deuter 30l sl?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A lightweight merino wool long sleeve hoodie has been a game changer for me. So convenient and versatile. So easy to pull the hood up if you want protection from cold, wind, or light rain, and especially from the sun as it covers your head and back of the neck. So easy to pull hood down if you need to cool off. I’ve worn one in the winter and in the summer. Plus it makes you look like a monk which is very Camino appropriate!

Well, if by chance you're willing to ditch your bra and you use a size S, let me tell you that Ibex is the very best sports bra ever, and they have it in that size! Unfortunately for me, they no longer have the other sizes and they are not sure if they will, which saddens me because I've been partial to that brand for decades! I have switched to Smartwool and Icebreaker, which are ok, but Ibex is/was tops!

wearing:

REI convertible pants

cowboy hat sun hat

scarf for multiple uses

merino boxers

synthetic bra

buff

carrying:

synthetic bra

merino boxers

toiletries

first aid

“s” hook

passport/other docs

shell/stone

notebook/pen

I’ve read through a lot of these notes, looking at responses about end of day footwear. I’m taking my OOFAs. I haven’t seen a mention of them. Mostly Keens. Anyone out there like OOFAs?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
hi luther - thank you for all that! your trip sounds like quite the adventure :) i appreciate your tips. i have decided to take a light rain jacket instead of the windbreaker and sm adding a rain skirt, some leggings and beanie. having trouble now with the lonepeaks -they gave me a blister today after a year of hiking in them! a sign? so might just do the keens for day snd birks for night. lastly- i'm in mpls so we are neighbors. is there any sort of pilgrim group around here that you know of?
You're welcome Peregrinas! There is a MN chapter of American Pilgrims on Camino. I have never joined but considered it. I think it costs $100. You can get a credential/pilgrim passport from them without joining tho, if you want to get that out of the way. https://americanpilgrims.org/iwpmap_directory/minnesota/
It's never too late to alter footwear, esp. as you ramp up training mileage. It took ten days for my feet to swell, and glad I knew to get shoes a half size big. I used K tape on them to help with blisters and lubed with A&D ointment. Blisters are probably going to happen. Best wishes! 'So envious! :)

btw what is the name of you deuter 30l sl?
I have the Speed Lite pack. Here is a pic of the tag I took (I'm an information hoarder LOL!). I leave Pomplona for Roncesvalles on the 19th, to begin on the 20th. I wanted to spend Easter Weekend in Pomplona. I'm keeping my km's low for the first 4 days so there is a possibility you'll catch up with me. :)

Attachments

• 20220315_091706[1775].jpg
    20220315_091706[1775].jpg
    371 KB · Views: 12
It had to happen eventually - a list that we’re suggesting adding to!

Good choice of rucksacks; 25l minimises the amount of excess that you might be tempted to carry.

I wear EVAs for months. Just as durable as any other sandals. In dry climates like mine next to a lake the EVA works better than the cork.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is a MN chapter of American Pilgrims on Camino. I have never joined but considered it. I think it costs $100. You can get a credential/pilgrim passport from them without joining tho, if you want to get that out of the way
There's no requirement to join the national American Pilgrims on the Camino organization if you want to attend local chapter meetings, though if course itsy encouraged.
And you can order a credential without joining, although a small donation is requested.

I have the Speed Lite pack. Here is a pic of the tag I took (I'm an information hoarder LOL!). I leave Pomplona for Roncesvalles on the 19th, to begin on the 20th. I wanted to spend Easter Weekend in Pomplona. I'm keeping my km's low for the first 4 days so there is a possibility you'll catch up with me. :)
thanks- i tried a smaller speedlite but it didn’t work for me- never tried that one! anyway i’m happy with my pack- now having a shoe/sandal debate at the last minute- jeesh! i was planning to go all the way to zubiri my first day and did book an alburge there but can change that as needed- may need to go even slower instead. my training is practically nothing as i’ve had some very recent injuries and emergency surgery! just getting back to ”training” now with a month to go it’s dicey! i hope things are going well for you- are you settled on all your gear at this time?

thanks- i tried a smaller speedlite but it didn’t work for me- never tried that one! anyway i’m happy with my pack- now having a shoe/sandal debate at the last minute- jeesh! i was planning to go all the way to zubiri my first day and did book an alburge there but can change that as needed- may need to go even slower instead. my training is practically nothing as i’ve had some very recent injuries and emergency surgery! just getting back to ”training” now with a month to go it’s dicey! i hope things are going well for you- are you settled on all your gear at this time?
Gear all chosen, bag packed and ready to go! :) Where I live it's flat as a pancake, so I thought the slower start will help my body to understand the change in terrain and daily schedule. I have a secret thought that when I'm done, I might go back and do SJP to Roncesvalles since I'll be missing that stage. I Love the mountains!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Gear all chosen, bag packed and ready to go! :) Where I live it's flat as a pancake, so I thought the slower start will help my body to understand the change in terrain and daily schedule. I have a secret thought that when I'm done, I might go back and do SJP to Roncesvalles since I'll be missing that stage. I Love the mountains!
do you want to share you packing list? can pm if prefer.

wearing:

REI convertible pants

cowboy hat sun hat

scarf for multiple uses

merino boxers

synthetic bra

buff

carrying:

synthetic bra

merino boxers

toiletries

first aid

“s” hook

passport/other docs

shell/stone

notebook/pen

I am never one to question what women pack as I have no idea.
I may have missed something but you have no poncho or anything for the rain. If it is raining in the morning especially you will end up very wet and maybe very cold also.
When you are in Pamplona check out Caminoteca. It is an outdoor store that obviously caters to pilgrims. It is right around the corner from the Jesus and Mary municipal albergue. They sell very inexpensive Swiss Army type knives that will suit your purposes. They have poles also .
I love this hat from Outdoor Research
You can snap off the neck and face cover if not needed. It will keep the hot meseta sun off your face and neck, it is super easy to wash. If it is hot you can dunk it in cold water and put it over your head and will cool you instantaneously.
Just some suggestions

I am never one to question what women pack as I have no idea.
I may have missed something but you have no poncho or anything for the rain. If it is raining in the morning especially you will end up very wet and maybe very cold also.
When you are in Pamplona check out Caminoteca. It is an outdoor store that obviously caters to pilgrims. It is right around the corner from the Jesus and Mary municipal albergue. They sell very inexpensive Swiss Army type knives that will suit your purposes. They have poles also .
I love this hat from Outdoor Research
You can snap off the neck and face cover if not needed. It will keep the hot meseta sun off your face and neck, it is super easy to wash. If it is hot you can dunk it in cold water and put it over your head and will cool you instantaneously.
Just some suggestions
thanks so much! (btw i'm going to replace the windbreaker w a rain jacket). will def check out caminoteca and just ordered the hat! brilliant! :)

Thanks for the Caminoteca info. I'll be staying nearby, the problem of bringing poles... is solved.

edit: I wrote Caminoteca about them and here is their reply:

Hi there!,
We have walking sticks from 8,90 euros to 50 euros (per stick). The weight of the cheapest is around 280 grams
Best Regards,
István Orszáczky, Caminoteca

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Did i miss puffer jacket? You can get a lightweight, packdownable one from Patagonia. And gloves? And a poncho? Thick warm socks for evening/nighttime? I have walked at similar times in the year and definitely needed warming items.

Did i miss puffer jacket? You can get a lightweight, packdownable one from Patagonia. And gloves? And a poncho? Thick warm socks for evening/nighttime? I have walked at similar times in the year and definitely needed warming items.
hi there- yes i’ve since picked up a patagonia nanopuff and have decided to take 2 lightweight merino long sleeves plus one merino sl tshirt instead of 2 sl tshirts and a button down sun shirt. also got a helium rain jacket to pare with a rain skirt. yes taking some gloves and beanie. REI is having a sale so have saved money and some things are used. drilling down lower weight and compressibility as my pack is getting a bit tight. may have to swap up to a 28 liter instead of 25. one month to go no worries! thank you for reviewing my (now outdated) list!

.... can buy altus in Pamplona if heavy rain in forecast
Forecast or not at some point there will be heavy rain

Any cotton socks can do the job as long as you take them off and rest your bare feet mid walk. And wash the socks daily.

cowboy hat sun hat
Or a fabric one that is easy foldable.

scarf for multiple uses
Very good idea

...merino as it doesn’t smell and can skip daily laundry if desired
Don't be naive. It does smell after a day walking. Other people may have actual working noses. And albergue dorms with so many people in them don't need unwashed shirts laying around. Every albergue has hand wash place, at least rinse your stuff with a bit of soap, doesn't take long and no effort.

snugpak jungle bag sleeping bag
I had this, was very good

I had 1 pair long pants, 1 pair shorts (men's swim shorts, red), 1 little black dress/long t-shirt to go out in town doubling as nighty, 2 t-shirts, hoody, windbreaker

birkenstock EVA sandals or take the Keens as shower/backup?
Take something you can use both in shower and to walk in town in evening. I had crocs ballerinas.

toiletries
I don't see specifically stated those will include sunscreen and face cream, you will need them both (and they are not mutually exchangeable).

You arrive in Pamplona, get missing supplies, go to Roncesvalles to start your Camino, right? Because don't go down from Roncesvalles without poles.

Ad sun glasses. Spring early summer sun is strong.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
hi there- yes i’ve since picked up a patagonia nanopuff and have decided to take 2 lightweight merino long sleeves plus one merino sl tshirt instead of 2 sl tshirts and a button down sun shirt. also got a helium rain jacket to pare with a rain skirt. yes taking some gloves and beanie. REI is having a sale so have saved money and some things are used. drilling down lower weight and compressibility as my pack is getting a bit tight. may have to swap up to a 28 liter instead of 25. one month to go no worries! thank you for reviewing my (now outdated) list!
Good to hear!

Although re: rain wear - i highly recommend an Altus poncho instead of 2 pieces of rainwear. This poncho is amazing. I'm not sure why you would get a 2-piece rain outfit...the skirt won't cover much without the top. The Altus is so convenient as you can chuck it on over your backpack and it covers almost your whole body and pack. I walked 25km in heavy rain on one day with snow the day before and i (and my pack) stayed super dry under my Altus. It's a bit exxy but it's really good quality and does such a good job, it's something you will only need to buy once (unless you lose it!).

I also recommend Injinji socks instead of injinji liner + socks. All I wear is Injinji - on Camino and normal life. Get midweiight for the time you're going, lightweight for summer.

Good to hear!

Although re: rain wear - i highly recommend an Altus poncho instead of 2 pieces of rainwear. This poncho is amazing. I'm not sure why you would get a 2-piece rain outfit...the skirt won't cover much without the top. The Altus is so convenient as you can chuck it on over your backpack and it covers almost your whole body and pack. I walked 25km in heavy rain on one day with snow the day before and i (and my pack) stayed super dry under my Altus. It's a bit exxy but it's really good quality and does such a good job, it's something you will only need to buy once (unless you lose it!).

I also recommend Injinji socks instead of injinji liner + socks. All I wear is Injinji - on Camino and normal life. Get midweiight for the time you're going, lightweight for summer.
thank you- will check out the poncho when i get to pamplona :)

thx! the hat is a crushable hat that looks like a cowboy hat-upf 50.

i really prefer to wear shorts but sm taking convertibles in case sun too intense on legs.

if i can fit the altras and keens will take both til i see what it is really like over there. shower socks otherwise

the peeing thing is only a couple ounces and i find it is useful for super gross toilets and porta-potties as well as if stuck nowhere near a town

thx!
I’m Altra, Teva and flip flops. might seem like overkill but flip flop are easy for shower but can’t walk any distance in them

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m Altra, Teva and flip flops. might seem like overkill but flip flop are easy for shower but can’t walk any distance in them
i love my lone peaks for everyday walking without a pack but i'm concerned sbout their overall support for camino distances w pack. did you wear them all the way no problem?

i love my lone peaks for everyday walking without a pack but i'm concerned sbout their overall support for camino distances w pack. did you wear them all the way no problem?
I have changed the insoles and sent an extra pair to Zamora just incase the lose support. I’m starting 1st May so will let you know how I get on

I have changed the insoles and sent an extra pair to Zamora just incase the lose support. I’m starting 1st May so will let you know how I get on
i'll be a
i'll be walking slowly around a week ahead of you- i wonder if you'll catch up! buen camino!

€60,-

I'll also be walking with an Altra + Teva combo, so thanks for making me feel OK about adding a pair of flip-flops to my gear. I thought my Tevas could do double duty for both hiking and showering but they do seem like overkill for the latter, and a pair of cheap flip-flops won't add too much weight or bulk to my pack. Cheers!

After writing the above post, I somehow fell into a Google hole for "lightweight flip-flops" and found this tutorial for converting an old pair of athletic shoe insoles into serviceable sandals using a bit of nylon cord and some gumption:

They won't win any points for stylishness, but at ca. 2 oz. for the pair they underweigh my cheapo Old Navy flip flops by about six ounces, which is not inconsiderable. And they seem like they'd do just fine in protecting my feet from cruddy shower floors, which is really all I'm asking them to do.

After writing the above post, I somehow fell into a Google hole for "lightweight flip-flops" and found this tutorial for converting an old pair of athletic shoe insoles into serviceable sandals using a bit of nylon cord and some gumption:

They won't win any points for stylishness, but at ca. 2 oz. for the pair they underweigh my cheapo Old Navy flip flops by about six ounces, which is not inconsiderable. And they seem like they'd do just fine in protecting my feet from cruddy shower floors, which is really all I'm asking them to do.
Interesting. I imagine they would be fine for showers. But the person who wrote the article stated they might even be fine for around town - but I can't imagine it. Would love to know if anyone has tried them and how they worked! I can't even get a cheap pair of flip flops to last walking around town lol (referring to the dollar store variety - not the nicer brands).

€46,-

Bear in mind that they are intended to be camp sandals - not shower sandals. They may be too slick for the shower.

Interesting. I imagine they would be fine for showers. But the person who wrote the article stated they might even be fine for around town - but I can't imagine it. Would love to know if anyone has tried them and how they worked! I can't even get a cheap pair of flip flops to last walking around town lol (referring to the dollar store variety - not the nicer brands).

Since I happened to have the requisite materials on hand and some spare time this evening, I decided to give these a shot - and they didn't turn out half bad, if I do say so myself!

IMG_8263.jpg

I tied the top part with a slip knot so I can adjust the fit, but they stay on my feet pretty well as long as I sort of keep my stride to more of a shuffle - they would definitely not work for wearing outside or around town (but that's what my Tevas are for anyway). They're also a bit narrow for my feet, which just about hit the sides of the soles. But for walking a few steps from my bunk to the shower and back, I think they will be more than adequate. And they only weigh about 75 g / 2.5 oz for the pair.

Bear in mind that they are intended to be camp sandals - not shower sandals. They may be too slick for the shower.

The insoles I used to make these happen to have rubberized bottoms (I think they were meant for rain shoes), so they're actually kind of grippy on the tiled surfaces I tested them on. They dry quickly, and even roll up small enough to fit in my toilet kit. And the best part is that they didn't cost me a dime!

Last edited:
I can't even get a cheap pair of flip flops to last walking around town lol (referring to the dollar store variety - not the nicer brands).

I've found that Old Navy flip flops (which I was going to pack until I came up with my DIY pair above) are decently durable - I have a pair that I've used for mucking about my garden for years. And they usually cost well under $5.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yep Lone Peaks are fine for the Camino. Try not to wear them too much before you start - enough to get a good feel for them but not so much you start wearing down the tread.

If you're worried the Lone Peak won't provide enough support, try the Altra Olympus. Bit more cushioning and support.

Since I happened to have the requisite materials on hand and some spare time this evening, I decided to give these a shot - and they didn't turn out half bad, if I do say so myself!

View attachment 121473

I tied the top part with a slip knot so I can adjust the fit, but they stay on my feet pretty well as long as I sort of keep my stride to more of a shuffle - they would definitely not work for wearing outside or around town (but that's what my Tevas are for anyway). They're also a bit narrow for my feet, which just about hit the sides of the soles. But for walking a few steps from my bunk to the shower and back, I think they will be more than adequate. And they only weigh about 75 g / 2.5 oz for the pair.

The insoles I used to make these happen to have rubberized bottoms (I think they were meant for rain shoes), so they're actually kind of grippy on the tiled surfaces I tested them on. They dry quickly, and even roll up small enough to fit in my toilet kit. And the best part is that they didn't cost me a dime!
I'll see your lightweight flip-flops and raise you my Muck-flops or Flip-socks created out of necessity when my Christmas Elf slippers (green, red trim, 7 brass bells on each foot) gave up the ghost:

1648753200761.png

€46,-

have you considered disposable flip flops?

€60,-
I was thinking that your time is getting close! Have a great Camino! I'd rather be in Spain than MN any day!

I have walked my last three Caminos exclusively in sandals, so if the Keens work as well for you as the Altras, there's no need to take both. You might want flip flops or something light for wearing around the albergues.
An extra pair of socks is a good idea. On warm days it's a good idea to switch out to dry socks periodically, and you never know when a sock or two will go missing from a clothesline.
For those who have done the CF in sandals--

At this point in my planning I was going with one pair of trail running shoes and having my backup be one pair of hiking sandals. The reasoning is that I could wear the sandals once I finish hiking for the day and also to occasionally hike in the sandals and give my feet a break from my daily shoe.

I was telling this to one of my planned camino companions and he said "Don't the rocks get under your feet while wearing sandals?"

Figured I'd better ask the sandal wearers!

I was telling this to one of my planned camino companions and he said "Don't the rocks get under your feet while wearing sandals?"

Figured I'd better ask the sandal wearers!

I occasionally get small stones in my sandals, but I also notice people wearing boots and trail runners emptying their shoes of small stones. It's pretty easy to dislodge them from my sandals without having to remove the sandals.

€60,-
I was thinking that your time is getting close! Have a great Camino! I'd rather be in Spain than MN any day!
thanks! yep i'm totally ready to go! can't believe it's snowing here! have a wonderful easter and always buen camino to you too :)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.