• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If you are Passing through Paris - Montparnasse

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
If you are passing through Paris on your way to start the Camino Frances at St Jean, maybe you are staying a night in Paris or have a few hours to look around?

A place I love to visit is a bit of a Paris 'icon'.
It's a restaurant called Bouillon Chartier.
Pat and I have been there a couple of time walking from our Hotel in Montparnasse up to Montmatre.

I was just looking on their website.
And they have a 2nd Restaurant in Montparnasse!

Montparnasse is of interest, as it's where you get fast train South to Bayonne.

Chartier is a great place to try for a real Paris experience.
They pride themselves on good quality French food and fair prices.
It's a great experience. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouillon_Chartier
You may end up sharing a table as they get quite full.
A real flavour of Paris.

Check it out: T If you select English on the site, the 'map' on the tabs is the Menu.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Robo, you are making my own memories of eating in Paris fade in comparison.

And BTW, yesterday when you said this on another thread I thought once again that Pat is a lucky lady.🙂 "I was just out hanging some clothes on the washing line. Not fun, as it's cold and so the clothes won't dry overnight."

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Robo, you are making my own memories of eating in Paris fade in comparison.

And BTW, yesterday when you said this on another thread I thought once again that Pat is a lucky lady.🙂 "I was just out hanging some clothes on the washing line. Not fun, as it's cold and so the clothes won't dry overnight."

Nah. It was only because she was sick in bed with Flu :rolleyes:

I took a look at the Boullion Chartier’s menu, now ready to start my Camino in Paris, yummm

It's quite an experience.
The waiters normally carry menus in about 10 different languages.
And as is traditional, they tot up your bill writing on the paper table cloth.

I took a look at the Boullion Chartier’s menu, now ready to start my Camino in Paris, yummm

I was just taking a look at the menu again.
I see they serve 'Fresh Fries', rather than French Fries.

It's a bit like that quip, "what do they call Portuguese Tarts in Portugal"?
Tarts! ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I see they offer pig's foot. (The pork Trotter.) Do you recommend, Robo?

Also note, the menu is very 'literal'!

For example the Egg Mayonnaise is just that.

An egg with some Mayonnaise on it. No frills :rolleyes:
Some shredded lettuce? Non!
Some parsley garnish? Non!
A 'wafer thin' slice of tomato peut-être? Non!

I think it's all about the Mayonnaise!
And maybe the egg. :oops:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was just taking a look at the menu again.
I see they serve 'Fresh Fries', rather than French Fries.

It's a bit like that quip, "what do they call Portuguese Tarts in Portugal"?
Tarts! ;)
And, for heaven’s sake, get mayo, not ketchup, to go with your “Fresh Fries!” Yummy!

The prices are very reasonable indeed.

I thought I'd have to mortgage the house knowing how expensive Paris can be, but not so.

Thank you Robo.

Your research has revealed many gems of knowledge, and this is one of them! You should have been a travel agent!! 🙂

So, we just have to vaccinate and get the borders open again. Should happen in the next decade hopefully.

Buen Researcho!

Graham

If you are passing through Paris on your way to start the Camino Frances at St Jean, maybe you are staying a night in Paris or have a few hours to look around?

A place I love to visit is a bit of a Paris 'icon'.
It's a restaurant called Bouillon Chartier.
Pat and I have been there a couple of time walking from our Hotel in Montparnasse up to Montmatre.

I was just looking on their website.
And they have a 2nd Restaurant in Montparnasse!

Montparnasse is of interest, as it's where you get fast train South to Bayonne.

Chartier is a great place to try for a real Paris experience.
They pride themselves on good quality French food and fair prices.
It's a great experience. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouillon_Chartier
You may end up sharing a table as they get quite full.
A real flavour of Paris.

Check it out: T If you select English on the site, the 'map' on the tabs is the Menu.
Looks like a fab restaurant which is ideal for the night before I head to Bayonne

thank you

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Robo !

Taking a moment from yard chores to scan the Forum and see if I have anything to contribute. And, here is this post!

A very enthusiastic "second" from a long-experienced sojourner in Paris. I only have experience of the [EDIT] "right-bank" establishment on Rue de Faubourg but it has always been magnificent.

Friends, themselves Paris natives, introduced me a very long time ago. Since then, I have introduced many others to the charms of the place. The rewards, reaped in esteem from those we introduced, were so measurable that we treated our Parisian friends to a nice evening dinner cruise on the Seine - - they had never thought to go! (Quote from them - "Well, you know, B? It is the cobbler's children that often go barefoot!" Gotta love French humor.)

One warning though... I do not think that the experience would work well for a solo diner. Have at least one other person with you.

Unless, of course, your "Parisian" French is up to snuff. If it is not, being thrown into a group of native speakers could (COULD) prove unsettling though the fare will be excellent.

B

Last edited:
@Robo !

One warning though... I do not think that the experience would work well for a solo diner. Have at least one other person with you.

Unless, of course, your "Parisian" French is up to snuff. If it is not, being thrown into a group of native speakers could (COULD) prove unsettling though the fare will be excellent.

B

I wouldn't be too concerned, as there were lots of other Nationalities there when we have been.
Last time we sat with 2 Korean ladies.

All part of the fun I think ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back