• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD If flying to Madrid from another country, what are your current concerns about the Camino Frances in September?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marbe2

Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2023 walked all or part of CF 11 times
I scheduled this Camino in November, 2020 and stillplan to leave USA on Sept. 1st for a month to walk-on the CF.

We have done everything, I can think of today be safe. We are in the senior age group who likely has less protection from the two shot Pfizer, and will hit six months out from second innoculation date while walking, but will be home before 7months out.

We are vaccinated
We are wearing N95 masks when near others.
We have private rooms all with descent sized windows reserved.
We will eat outdoors or in our room..
We have decided to send a small bag ahead by Correos with additional disinfectant packages, tissues, cleaning supplies, masks, gloves, etc.
We are not sitting next to anyone on the plane and additionally we are wearing protective glasses.
We are traveling comfort class on the train and will not be sitting next to anyone.

In general, I am not very concerned about getting infected. My biggest concern is Spain closing down before October?

I hope to hear from other people still going in September?

if you are going, what are your concerns?
Any additional strategies for staying safe are welcomed?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The lack of available accommodation.

We all make our own decisions, within the law, at the moment - but your precautions seem quite extreme to me.

I’ve got flights booked for October (having lost a couple and had one set cancelled in the last 12 months) and if permitted to travel by both governments, and Spain avoids lockdown. I’ll go.

Last edited:
In general, I am not very concerned about getting infected. My biggest concern is Spain closing down before October?
Unfortunately, nobody knows that. People are showing their best bets though their ticket-buying decisions. If you want opinions only from those still planning to go, you won't get an accurate view of everyone's bets;). It sounds like you have prepared as much as you can.

What are you afraid of, that can in any way be managed? Is it having your accommodation on the Camino close suddenly? Not getting out of Spain? Having to quarantine at home? Paying for an expensive new flight? All of the above? I don't see what more advice or detailing of concerns can be useful, that has not already been covered thoroughly here.

I can sympathize that maybe you are seeking reassurance that you will have company in your decision. I'm pretty sure you will have company. My "guess" is that Spain will not close down before October, and that we will be watching eagerly for your daily updates from Spain.

My biggest concern is Spain closing down before October?

I'm still fence-sittting. I'll decide at short notice, but being from Europe that's fine with me. What bothers me most at the moment are the current reports that you have to pre-book every accommodation well ahead, but obviously this is necessary (more on that below). So I too would tend to make reservations.

As for a general lockdown, I think Spain will, as long as it's feasible, prevent another lockdown as their economy relies heavily on tourism.

But, what might be possible, however, and that is another reason why I am still waiting, under certain circumstances, the individual autonomous regions of Spain could decide on a lockdown, independently of the rest of Spain. This was to be seen quite often the last 15 months.

Then even the best planning is in vain. Because if you have to bypass / leave out a region, all following bookings are useless. You've got to start searching for accommodation again - competing with countless other pilgrims who then will have the same problem.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm still fence-sittting. I'll decide at short notice, but being from Europe that's fine with me. What bothers me most at the moment are the current reports that you have to pre-book every accommodation well ahead, but obviously this is necessary (more on that below). So I too would tend to make reservations.

As for a general lockdown, I think Spain will, as long as it's feasible, prevent another lockdown as their economy relies heavily on tourism.

But, what might be possible, however, and that is another reason why I am still waiting, under certain circumstances, the individual autonomous regions of Spain could decide on a lockdown, independently of the rest of Spain. This was to be seen quite often the last 15 months.

Then even the best planning is in vain. Because if you have to bypass / leave out a region, all following bookings are useless. You've got to start searching for accommodation again - competing with countless other pilgrims who then will have the same problem.
Thanks…helpful perspective.

Unfortunately, nobody knows that. People are showing their best bets though their ticket-buying decisions. If you want opinions only from those still planning to go, you won't get an accurate view of everyone's bets;). It sounds like you have prepared as much as you can.

What are you afraid of, that can in any way be managed? Is it having your accommodation on the Camino close suddenly? Not getting out of Spain? Having to quarantine at home? Paying for an expensive new flight? All of the above? I don't see what more advice or detailing of concerns can be useful, that has not already been covered thoroughly here.

I can sympathize that maybe you are seeking reassurance that you will have company in your decision. I'm pretty sure you will have company. My "guess" is that Spain will not close down before October, and that we will be watching eagerly for your daily updates from Spain.
Actually, over the last nine months, I have read many reasons why pilgrims are remaining home. I respect Tincatinker and the many others who will wait .

I have secured good accommodations most of which are now full when I will be walking - unless a region were to close down completely.
I am not concerned aparticular place will simply close- because, as I said, they are booked up!

The odds of having to quarantine are quite small with the precautions we are taking.

We have enough flight mileage, that we could cover flights with mileage…so the expense of flights is not a real concern.

My biggest concern is Spain would close down. If it doesn’t, then there will always be options for walking.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Others still going? Please!
Well, I went! And I don’t regret it. I don’t know what it is like in your part of the world but I live in the UK and I actually felt safer in Spain 🙂
Admittedly I didn’t stay in albergues this time.
I think, keep on your guards, wear a mask whenever you are near people, wash your hands and…. ENJOY! 🙂

PS Had the dreaded test and tested negative so can’t have done much wrong 😉
Now bracing myself for the flight back! 😱😉

Well, I went! And I don’t regret it. I don’t know what it is like in your part of the world but I live in the UK and I actually felt safer in Spain 🙂
I think, keep on your guards, wear a mask whenever you are near people, wash your hands and…. ENJOY! 🙂

😀. Thanks!

Even before COVID, there were the usual seasonal reports of COMPLETO and needing to book ahead for accommodations. Certainly with closed or partially-opened Albergues this is more common currently, but I have friends there now who say it’s just like past busy times on the Camino. Without COVID, this would have been a packed Holy Year and everyone would still be complaining of nowhere to sleep.

Definitely helps to be cautious and have alternative plans just in case, but if your worries are so great that you may not enjoy the pilgrimage, then definitely wait until a later date when you can fully revel in its magic.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Marbe2 i think it unlikely that any European government would impose another total lockdown on their population. The economic impact scares politicians now even more than the likelihood of “bodies piled in the streets”, as one of ours put it. I’m not going because I have responsibilities to my Tribe and to the community in which we live. I’m also not going because, for me, a Camino which requires Masks, Gloves, Antiseptic Gels, eating in Hotel rooms while avoiding people and avoiding close interaction with strangers is not a Camino. It would just be a hike in COVID Land. And I live there already.
I sincerely wish you a buen Camino, I wish I could be there too.

I’m planning on walking Pamplona to SDC beginning in late September. I’ve decided to move forward on the trip, knowing I will to have cancel if things deteriorate. I will base my decision on the likelihood of my catching or spreading the virus. I would hope that these criteria would also reflect the odds of being locked down (though I can't think of a better place…). The pandemic is currently so fluid that a lot can change in 6 weeks.

frm

Last edited:
I have been watching as many updates as I possibly can and it seems that despite spiking cases the trend now seems to be subsiding and easing back down. Spain is doing a tremendous job of their vaccination rollout. We start our walk on August 18th and will take as many precautions as possible to protect ourselves and more importantly our Spanish hosts.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I shall be walking the Levante, VdlP, Sanabres from Valencia to Santiago, beginning on Sept. 12th, or 13th if I can schedule a full second day in Valencia. I shall be taking many of the same precautions as @Marbe2, in part, because I cannot count on albergues being open along the Levante, so am booking hotel rooms, where possible. I do not anticipate crowds, so my risk of getting covid will be lessened by the small number of people walking there, and I am by nature quite comfortable with my own company for long periods of time. From the third week of October, as I move on from Zamora to Santiago, I do not anticipate crowds along the route. However, after I finish my camino, I have offered to volunteer in a pilgrim albergue for the last two weeks of November. I may not feel fully safe there, but I shall take what precautions I can and enjoy the company of pilgrims walking the Frances later in the year. Would I have been safer walking in the Rockies this year? Who knows? One young woman was killed by a bear in Alberta this summer, and I am not likely to meet any large predators in Spain. I am fully vaccinated; I have felt the call; and I am going.

I shall be walking the Levante, VdlP, Sanabres from Valencia to Santiago, beginning on Sept. 12th, or 13th if I can schedule a full second day in Valencia. I shall be taking many of the same precautions as @Marbe2, in part, because I cannot count on albergues being open along the Levante, so am booking hotel rooms, where possible. I do not anticipate crowds, so my risk of getting covid will be lessened by the small number of people walking there, and I am by nature quite comfortable with my own company for long periods of time. From the third week of October, as I move on from Zamora to Santiago, I do not anticipate crowds along the route. However, after I finish my camino, I have offered to volunteer in a pilgrim albergue for the last two weeks of November. I may not feel fully safe there, but I shall take what precautions I can and enjoy the company of pilgrims walking the Frances later in the year. Would I have been safer walking in the Rockies this year? Who knows? One young woman was killed by a bear in Alberta this summer, and I am not likely to meet any large predators in Spain. I am fully vaccinated; I have felt the call; and I am going.
Which albergue are you volunteering at?

I’m also not going because, for me, a Camino which requires Masks, Gloves, Antiseptic Gels, eating in Hotel rooms while avoiding people and avoiding close interaction with strangers is not a Camino. It would just be a hike in COVID Land. And I live there already.
You have basically summed up how I feel. I can imagine that it would be different walking a Covid Camino with a partner though. But as I like to go solo and meet and interact with other pilgrims I will stay put for a while. (probably 😉)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
You have basically summed up how I feel. I can imagine that it would be different walking a Covid Camino with a partner though. But as I like to go solo and meet and interact with other pilgrims I will stay put for a while. (probably 😉)
It was indeed a different experience, there were so few of us when I walked it. I enjoyed it, many wouldn’t, I know. 🙂
I am told it is quite different now as there are many pilgrims around…

Well I'm going. Leave SJPdP on September 14 with 38 nights of small hotel reservations already made. At 73, I don't have the luxury of putting off another year without the Camino. This will my 10th time on the trail and hope to do my last one in 2022. Yes, the experience will be less Camino-like compared to the past, but I yearn for the beauty of Northern Spain, the rhythmic and mesmerizing sound of walking, and being in an atmosphere where people are friendly and are concerned about their fellow man, as opposed to people not even saying 'Good Morning' during a morning walk.

Which albergue are you volunteering at?
I have volunteered to serve at the Municipal in Najera, but there is some uncertainty, as local administrators have decided to take advantage of the current closure to do necessary maintenance. It may open in October and I am scheduled to be there the last two weeks of November,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well I'm going. Leave SJPdP on September 14 with 38 nights of small hotel reservations already made. At 73, I don't have the luxury of putting off another year without the Camino. This will my 10th time on the trail and hope to do my last one in 2022. Yes, the experience will be less Camino-like compared to the past, but I yearn for the beauty of Northern Spain, the rhythmic and mesmerizing sound of walking, and being in an atmosphere where people are friendly and are concerned about their fellow man, as opposed to people not even saying 'Good Morning' during a morning walk.
@Albertagirl: I'll follow the guidelines and do the best I can and hope I make it in traveling in September.

@Albertagirl: I'll follow the guidelines and do the best I can and hope I make it in traveling in September.
I understand. I too am 73. That is one major reason why I feel the need to go now, as there may be few caminos ahead of me. I too hope I shall make it, walking on a new knee.

I have volunteered to serve at the Municipal in Najera, but there is some uncertainty, as local administrators have decided to take advantage of the current closure to do necessary maintenance. It may open in October and I am scheduled to be there the last two weeks of November,
Bless you for your generosity under such tenuous circumstances in Najera. Albertagirl, do let us know how your trip goes in real time! That titanium knee will last for many caminos!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Marbe2 i think it unlikely that any European government would impose another total lockdown on their population. The economic impact scares politicians now even more than the likelihood of “bodies piled in the streets”, as one of ours put it. I’m not going because I have responsibilities to my Tribe and to the community in which we live. I’m also not going because, for me, a Camino which requires Masks, Gloves, Antiseptic Gels, eating in Hotel rooms while avoiding people and avoiding close interaction with strangers is not a Camino. It would just be a hike in COVID Land. And I live there already.
I sincerely wish you a buen Camino, I wish I could be there too.
Thanks, @Tincatinker. There are two of us. And truthfully, staying in a common room in an albergue was never in our plan. We prefer cooler, off peak Caminos, with fewer pilgrims. We will likely experience neither, as the train we are taking in September from Madrid is already sold out…and so is almost every train to Leon that day! Most-private places along our route have no or few vacancies. So, if someone is seeking interaction…there will be ample opportunity. Of course, I recommend folks limit interaction as much as possible.

For me, masks, and disinfectants, have become a way of life these days. I would rather take them with me, than wait for some better time to walk that may not be better.

Last edited:
I would rather take them with me, than wait for some better time to walk that may not be better.

... or may not happen? I understand your desire to go and I respect your willingness to comply to restrictions and recommendations.

Buen Camino!

Agree. I went in June (Salvador and Primitivo) and with all the mask wearing and capacity limitations in albergues I felt safer in Spain than at home in The Netherlands!

I'm contemplating another Camino in September, either in Spain or for the first time in France although the latter has no capacity limitations and I hear gîtes are full and window opening is frowned upon!

From the sound of it, the Francés may be quite busy in September but you seem to have everything under control with regards to accommodations. By the way, gel disinfectant is ubiquitous.

I don't envision any new lockdowns and even if there were local restrictions, in the past pilgrims could walk on. My 2 cents.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
But I was trying to figure out what aspect of "closing" concerns you, that hasn't already been addressed.

🤔I slept on your question, it is an excellent one! This morning, I sensed that it is just the chaos that would likely accompany a shutdown. Naming the concern was helpful! 🙏

I think you have made many proper precautions, and seem to have thought this through. I hope that you have a safe and rewarding Camino.
Like Albertagirl, I am 73 years old, but I am being treated for cancer and that makes me immunocompromised.
Still, we had planned a non-Camino trip to Spain/Europe for the month of October. I read the Cantabrian newspaper online daily, and occasionally El Pais online. I was convinced that it was too risky for us just now, so with a heavy heart I told my Cantabrian family and friends that we could not visit this year.
Life is about choices, Maybe2.
And it sounds like you will make the best one for yourselves. Buen Camino.

Of the 5 sample photos at the bottom of the screen, one of them is mine, and it calls to me. I will return!

🤔I slept on your question, it is an excellent one! This morning, I sensed that it is just the chaos that would likely accompany a shutdown. Naming the concern was helpful! 🙏
Thank you for naming the fear. I also respect everyone’s opinions on decisions to go or not, so many different situations, and it is good to discuss.
Your post makes me say, I live surrounded by chaos. We are beyond square one in the number of hospitalizations, ICU admissions and cardiopulmonary arrests almost every 20 minutes of mostly un-vaccinated people. Some in their 20s and 30s on ventilators. In Miami, this is the worst stage of this pandemic daily Camino ever. This past Monday I once more feared for my own personal safety and health after way too much time spent in patient’s rooms, using all available precautions. I am a 67 year old Pulmonologist/Intensivist doing Palliative care. I walk every morning to think, pray, and heal my soul.
The Camino is my salvation, the one I walk every day and the one I dream of constantly to get me and my team through this insanity. I am hoping to walk the Invierno this November with a good buddy who is a Hematologist. We are vaccinated and will test plenty before we go to ensure the safety of others.
As for the “booster” vaccines, the data isn’t in yet, it is unclear if and when, immunity from the vaccines in those fully vaccinated wanes enough to require a booster.
Buen Camino.
Aymarah

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The lack of available accommodation.

We all make our own decisions, within the law, at the moment - but your precautions seem quite extreme to me.

I’ve got flights booked for October (having lost a couple and had one set cancelled in the last 12 months) and if permitted to travel by both governments, and Spain avoids lockdown. I’ll go.
I too have cancelled twice and tentatively leaving 0n 10/11 for Norte, but not sure what the COVID situation will be like. I have been paying attention to different variations. Now, the Delta and Delta plus infect vaccinated people (they call it breakthrough infection). I am not sure if I can still go. Will wait and see. Good luck to you.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I scheduled this Camino in November, 2020 and stillplan to leave USA on Sept. 1st for a month to walk-on the CF.

We have done everything, I can think of today be safe. We are in the senior age group who likely has less protection from the two shot Pfizer, and will hit six months out from second innoculation date while walking, but will be home before 7months out.

We are vaccinated
We have decided to send a small bag ahead by Correos with additional disinfectant packages, tissues, cleaning supplies, masks, gloves, etc.
We are not sitting next to anyone on the plane and additionally we are wearing protective glasses.
We are traveling comfort class on the train and will not be sitting next to anyone.

If you are so worried that you have got to take all those precautions, stay home, because it won't be any fun.

We are vaccinated

I am still planning to go with a similar situation and precautions.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Marbe2, thank you for putting yourself out there. Many of us are grappling with the same questions. I guess for me it gets back to risk assessment. All during covid I have been hyper vigilant. I have followed all the guidelines. I have been mocked and treated like I have an anxiety disorder, which I don’t. I am aware of risk and with asthma and a husband in healthcare, I needed to do what was right for me and my community. Saying that, I am now fully vaccinated and I am flying out Aug. 25th, starting to walk on Aug. 30th. I will be respectful of my own boundaries and with those I encounter.
It helped me to find a Spanish contact I could call if I need to problem solve.
I am excited and aware. I think walking outdoors and having a more quiet Camino May be good for me anyway. It won’t be the same as my first Camino but it will be a new way to welcome whatever comes. If things start to close down I will regroup and decide my next steps. Hopefully I will meet others along the way with whom will be a support and that I can support. You can still have people around you with precautions.
That’s my take for now.

Marbe2, thank you for putting yourself out there. Many of us are grappling with the same questions. I guess for me it gets back to risk assessment. All during covid I have been hyper vigilant. I have followed all the guidelines. I have been mocked and treated like I have an anxiety disorder, which I don’t. I am aware of risk and with asthma and a husband in healthcare, I needed to do what was right for me and my community. Saying that, I am now fully vaccinated and I am flying out Aug. 25th, starting to walk on Aug. 30th. I will be respectful of my own boundaries and with those I encounter.
I am excited and aware. I think walking outdoors and having a more quiet Camino May be good for me anyway. It won’t be the same as my first Camino but it will be a new way to welcome whatever comes. If things start to close down I will regroup and decide my next steps. Hopefully I will meet others along the way with whom will be a support and that I can support. You can still have people around you with precautions.
That’s my take for now.
Beautifully said!

We are vaccinated

I'm going (hopefully) September 20-Oct 2nd. I'm doing the same plan as you are and feel that Spain might be safer than parts of the U.S. right now. I have funds to quarantine if needed and a test kit to take 3 days before returning involving FaceTime assistance. (the ellume company Delta Air approves & recommends). My thoughts? Have your mask handy and wear it when the pilgrims become congested. You're lucky to have someone with you! I am staying in hotels or pensions the entire way, and will take my meals in my room if the dining is too close.

I'm walking the Camino Ingles. Flying into A Coruna for a day (beach time), bussing to Ferrol and staying in the Parador (good price). I broke my journey into 6 days. Ferrol to Pontedeume (short cut across bridge) 19km, Pont. - Mino (short day) 13.5 km, Mino - Presedo (staying at a Casa Rural with shuttle service), 22km, Presedo to O Meson Do Vento (by Hospital) 14 km: breaking that LONG section with a mountain up. Hospital - Sig. 26.5 km, and Sig to SdC last day. To say I've walked this in my imagination EVERY day is an understatement! I will have 2 days in Madrid and will be careful there as well, staying at the NH Hotel by the train station. What a year. If it locks down, we have to roll with the punches and hunker down home. All plans can be canceled. Buen Camino!

That’s my take for now.
We fly out August 25 also! Plan to e in Orrison on 9/3. Maybe we will cross paths.

€46,-
The Camino is my salvation, the one I walk every day and the one I dream of constantly to get me and my team through this insanity. I am hoping to walk the Invierno this November with a good buddy who is a Hematologist. We are vaccinated and will test plenty before we go to ensure the safety of others.
Aymarah, my goodness. None of can even begin to imagine what you've been going through. So I send heartfelt gratitude and wishes that your intentions come to fruition. The Invierno is truely a gem of a walk - may it be a deep blessing for you both. And may all that chaos begin to subside, PDQ.
May you be safe, well, and have all strength for the way ahead.

I'm headed out in October. Maybe. We'll see. I've done what I can, but with the world in flux, it is hard to say. As for what to do? I don't know.

Emotionally I am prepared for it not to go off. My concern lately is getting stuck at either border, especially Spain side. No control, no influence, so worry is futile.

This past Monday I once more feared for my own personal safety and health after way too much time spent in patient’s rooms, using all available precautions. I am a 67 year old Pulmonologist/Intensivist doing Palliative care. ....
Buen Camino.
Aymarah
Aymarah, I take this opportunity to send heartfelt gratitude to you and colleagues. Cheering you on from afar.

I hope that you get to the Camino for refreshment as soon as possible.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for naming the fear. I also respect everyone’s opinions on decisions to go or not, so many different situations, and it is good to discuss.
Your post makes me say, I live surrounded by chaos. We are beyond square one in the number of hospitalizations, ICU admissions and cardiopulmonary arrests almost every 20 minutes of mostly un-vaccinated people. Some in their 20s and 30s on ventilators. In Miami, this is the worst stage of this pandemic daily Camino ever. This past Monday I once more feared for my own personal safety and health after way too much time spent in patient’s rooms, using all available precautions. I am a 67 year old Pulmonologist/Intensivist doing Palliative care. I walk every morning to think, pray, and heal my soul.
As for the “booster” vaccines, the data isn’t in yet, it is unclear if and when, immunity from the vaccines in those fully vaccinated wanes enough to require a booster.
Buen Camino.
Aymarah

Thank you so much for the work you are doing, Aymarah! Your service is very deeply appreciated, by so many of us.

Space, nature, nurturance, rest and prayer are such important resources for your well-being right now. Please do take care of yourself! I can understand why The Invierno is calling this November.

You appear to be surrounded by human disaster: madness, mask and vaccine deniers resulting in overflowing ERs and ICUs. I have family in FL who are communicating about how bad things are in your region! My concern about the chaos I might experience in Spain pales in comparison to what you are experiencing at so many levels.

I am very grateful in the midst of all you are dealing with that you took time to respond to my inquiry. I will follow your Invierno with enthusiasm!
Marlene

I'm going (hopefully) September 20-Oct 2nd. I'm doing the same plan as you are and feel that Spain might be safer than parts of the U.S. right now. I have funds to quarantine if needed and a test kit to take 3 days before returning involving FaceTime assistance. (the ellume company Delta Air approves & recommends). My thoughts? Have your mask handy and wear it when the pilgrims become congested. You're lucky to have someone with you! I am staying in hotels or pensions the entire way, and will take my meals in my room if the dining is too close.

I'm walking the Camino Ingles. Flying into A Coruna for a day (beach time), bussing to Ferrol and staying in the Parador (good price). I broke my journey into 6 days. Ferrol to Pontedeume (short cut across bridge) 19km, Pont. - Mino (short day) 13.5 km, Mino - Presedo (staying at a Casa Rural with shuttle service), 22km, Presedo to O Meson Do Vento (by Hospital) 14 km: breaking that LONG section with a mountain up. Hospital - Sig. 26.5 km, and Sig to SdC last day. To say I've walked this in my imagination EVERY day is an understatement! I will have 2 days in Madrid and will be careful there as well, staying at the NH Hotel by the train station. What a year. If it locks down, we have to roll with the punches and hunker down home. All plans can be canceled. Buen Camino!
This is the exact Camino I want to do in October - thank you for sharing your itinerary. Did you have a hard time booking places? I have a friend in Madrid so will probably spend a few days front and back with him... thank you for posting your plans -very helpful!
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

We are vaccinated

You have done everything a person can to be safe. Buen Camino. I will be on the Portuguese Coastal in Sept/Oct and will be doing what you are doing albeit maybe not with N95 or protective glasses.

This is the exact Camino I want to do in October - thank you for sharing your itinerary. Did you have a hard time booking places? I have a friend in Madrid so will probably spend a few days front and back with him... thank you for posting your plans -very helpful!
Buen Camino
Hi! I would book through Booking.com asap, as it appears a lot of pilgrims are concerned about space this year and are booking privately. This might be a good time to investigate (through Booking.com or TripAdvisor) other close-by private lodgings who might pick up. Spread the $$s around and help out these lovely people. It's a different Camino definitely this year, but we can still be reflective and grateful for the beautiful country that is our Spiritual home.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi! I would book through Booking.com asap, as it appears a lot of pilgrims are concerned about space this year and are booking privately. This might be a good time to investigate (through Booking.com or TripAdvisor) other close-by private lodgings who might pick up. Spread the $$s around and help out these lovely people. It's a different Camino definitely this year, but we can still be reflective and grateful for the beautiful country that is our Spiritual home.
Thank you so much - I decided to do the Primitivo starting Sept. 30 - I have a bit more time than I expected so will do a longer route. Thank you so much for the booking advice! And Buen Camino!

This thread is so thought-provoking. I’m due to begin on sept 4 with my first night in Orisson. The delta variant has me concerned but at this point I am still moving forward. I’ll keep an eye on things. Also lucky to have resources to fly back last minute or stay in a hotel for a bit if needed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This thread is so thought-provoking. I’m due to begin on sept 4 with my first night in Orisson. The delta variant has me concerned but at this point I am still moving forward. I’ll keep an eye on things. Also lucky to have resources to fly back last minute or stay in a hotel for a bit if needed
Hope you have a wonderful trip ! Buen Camino!!

Reactions: rlm
Great discussion. I too am hoping to book the flight soon from Canada for CF to start in SJPP. I have concerns related to finding accommodation like everyone else and will monitor the comments of those who will provide their observations during the various stages of the Camino. My biggest concern now is if I happen to test Positive on my appropriate test while trying to comply with regulations to return home to Canada, from Santiago or Madrid. Where will I go to quarantine. Will hotels, hostels, restaurants etc be reluctant to serve a Positive tested Pilgrim. Again, I look forward to again review the comment to better prepare myself for a very different Camino.

Great discussion. I too am hoping to book the flight soon from Canada for CF to start in SJPP. I have concerns related to finding accommodation like everyone else and will monitor the comments of those who will provide their observations during the various stages of the Camino. My biggest concern now is if I happen to test Positive on my appropriate test while trying to comply with regulations to return home to Canada, from Santiago or Madrid. Where will I go to quarantine. Will hotels, hostels, restaurants etc be reluctant to serve a Positive tested Pilgrim. Again, I look forward to again review the comment to better prepare myself for a very different Camino.

Ths thread posted by @peregrina2000 may be helpful regarding where to go if you would need to quarantine from Madrid.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...you-test-positive-in-spain.70903/#post-942715

BuenCamino

€60,-

We are vaccinated

I'm doing the San Salvador and Primitivo starting Sept 3rd

Ths thread posted by @peregrina2000 may be helpful regarding where to go if you would need to quarantine from Madrid.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...you-test-positive-in-spain.70903/#post-942715

BuenCamino
Thank you Marbe2. I am covered with both Medical and Travel insurance. Unfortunately, my very good Plan specifically excludes coverage for Travel Interruption due to Covid. Have tried to find specific Travel Insurance here in Canada to handle this possiblity, but all refuse to offer this benefit. The problem probably relates to the Canadian Government warning that Canadians should not be traveling to Spain. I can partially mitigate the problem by buying "Flexible" airline tickets that will allow change requests with no additional penalty. I was glad to note that, if tested positive, someone would likely suggest a hotel in SdC or Madrid that would be accomidate me and assist me in obtaining meals. In a previous notation on a Forum a lady was having problems making contact with the organization the was delegated the task of helping non-residents find these specific hotels. Hopefully, this Lady's problems was an exception to the rule. Again, thanks for leading me to these helpful sites!

€83,-
Thank you Marbe2. I am covered with both Medical and Travel insurance. Unfortunately, my very good Plan specifically excludes coverage for Travel Interruption due to Covid. Have tried to find specific Travel Insurance here in Canada to handle this possiblity, but all refuse to offer this benefit. The problem probably relates to the Canadian Government warning that Canadians should not be traveling to Spain. I can partially mitigate the problem by buying "Flexible" airline tickets that will allow change requests with no additional penalty. I was glad to note that, if tested positive, someone would likely suggest a hotel in SdC or Madrid that would be accomidate me and assist me in obtaining meals. In a previous notation on a Forum a lady was having problems making contact with the organization the was delegated the task of helping non-residents find these specific hotels. Hopefully, this Lady's problems was an exception to the rule. Again, thanks for leading me to these helpful sites!
If you have good medical coverage for Covid, a flexible airline ticket, a planned (perhaps with reservation) site for Covid testing before your return home, and have reserved funds to cover a possible quarantine then you should have your bases covered. Safe travel!

My wife and I are flying from Edinburgh to Madrid 3rd September to pick up the Frances in Burgos. We are both over 70yrs and double vaccinated with ‘astracenica’.

Our main concern is catching Covid but we can catch that in Edinburgh, so walking in the fresh air of Spain and meeting up with fellow peligrinos seems like a great idea.

We will continue to use masks, hand sanitiser and probably avoid dormitory accommodation.

So if you are peregrinating out of Burgos on the morning of the 5th September and see a Scottish couple with a guitar say hello.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My wife and I are flying from Edinburgh to Madrid 3rd September to pick up the Frances in Burgos. We are both over 70yrs and double vaccinated with ‘astracenica’.

Our main concern is catching Covid but we can catch that in Edinburgh, so walking in the fresh air of Spain and meeting up with fellow peligrinos seems like a great idea.

We will continue to use masks, hand sanitiser and probably avoid dormitory accommodation.

So if you are peregrinating out of Burgos on the morning of the 5th September and see a Scottish couple with a guitar say hello.
Have a wonderful and safe journey and do post in real time!

I am flying into Madrid from US on Sept. 27 - doing the Primitivo. I have been vaccinated and work in healthcare so will take all the necessary precautions to keep me and all those around me - safe. Sometimes you just gotta walk and keep walking.... Ultreia!

If you see an American without a guitar but with a song in her heart - on the Primitivo - say hello!

I am flying into Madrid from US on Sept. 27 - doing the Primitivo. I have been vaccinated and work in healthcare so will take all the necessary precautions to keep me and all those around me - safe. Sometimes you just gotta walk and keep walking.... Ultreia!

If you see an American without a guitar but with a song in her heart - on the Primitivo - say hello!
❤️

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Yep! Just keep walking😀

Others still going? Please!
I just changed my flights (Sept 10-Oct 30) from Bordeaux to Madrid since USDoS put France on the travel advisory. Hopefully Spain won’t be added but you never know. I still plan on doing C Frances but will be starting in Roncavilles vs SJPdP. I’ll post an update if things change.

Everything is booked and ready to go. Will be at SJPDP on Sept. 22nd for two weeks to Burgos. I believe that situation in Spain is getting better, although things can change at any moment. Hopefully, things will be fine.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just changed my flights (Sept 10-Oct 30) from Bordeaux to Madrid since USDoS put France on the travel advisory. Hopefully Spain won’t be added but you never know. I still plan on doing C Frances but will be starting in Roncavilles vs SJPdP. I’ll post an update if things change.
Spain is already on Level 4: Do Not Travel. They were put on this US Travel Advisory level on 26 July 2021. France was put only recently on this level, on 9 August 2021, which is why it is currently in the news in the media and the news on this forum.

Copied today from https://travel.state.gov/ :
Spain.jpg
France.jpg

The covid situation in Spain IS getting better and will certainly be even better with growing number of vaccinated people.
Unfortunately the dark clouds are coming from the politicians playing their own little games.

Spain is already on Level 4: Do Not Travel. They were put on this US Travel Advisory level on 26 July 2021. France was put only recently on this level, on 9 August 2021, which is why it is currently in the news in the media and the news on this forum.

Copied today from https://travel.state.gov/ :
View attachment 106632
View attachment 106633
As Katharina has posted travel advisory which many of us from USA are aware of: Do Not Travel Warning by the CDC. Once again check your health insurance policy before you fly.

Happy Penguine’s post suggests EU may consider changing status of admitting Americans - The European Union is meeting this week, and one of the topics on the agenda is whether Americans should be allowed to cross the borders of the 27 member countries? Stay tuned!

Last edited:

€60,-
The European Union is meeting this week, and one of the topics on the agenda is whether Americans should be allowed to cross the borders of the 27 member countries.
@Marbe2, the information in the linked article is not accurate information. No such meetings are on the agenda. There was a short Reuters news item last week that spoke of the possibility of a review where the USA and perhaps other countries could be removed from the recommended EU safe countries list; the information was based on an unnamed source (an unnamed "EU official" ... oh well ...). Reuters corrected, ie annulled, their news item within days. It didn't stop other news services and websites from turning this into a "story". Without any subsequent rectification, obviously.

Even if or when the United States were to be removed from the EU's recommended list of safe countries in September because of worsening epidemiological data in the USA, it wouldn't mean a blanket ban as in the by now already distant past. Spain can continue to make use of the provision that enables them to allow vaccinated travellers from anywhere in the world into Spain. Spain currently allows this group of travellers into the country and has been doing so for weeks if not months. See point k) on the SpTH website under the tab "Entry requirements for entry in [sic] Spain from Third Countries". Any potential removal of a country such as the USA or Canada or Australia for that matter from the current EU's recommended safe countries list would only affect those travellers from the USA, Canada or Australia to Spain who are not yet vaccinated.

Last edited:
Here are the two Reuters items, btw:

BRUSSELS, Aug 6 (Reuters) - The European Union will next week review the list of states from which non-essential travel is allowed under coronavirus restrictions and could reconsider the inclusion of the United States, an EU official said on Friday.

BRUSSELS, Aug 9 (Reuters) - The European Union will not change its safe travel list this week, an EU official told Reuters on Monday, allowing non-essential travel from the United States to continue for the time being despite a surge in COVID cases there.

As far as I can see, no other major news agency like Politico or similar spoke to this unnamed EU official in Brussels on Friday, August 6, or on Monday, August 9, or to any other unnamed EU official for that matter, let alone to an EU official with a name.

Currently, anyone from the USA can travel to Spain - without proof of vaccination and without proof of a negative PCR test or a negative antigen test. There is unrestricted access for US travellers to Spain as far as public health measures are concerned. If Spain were to require proof of vaccination again as of September and a negative test of those who are not yet vaccinated - would that be such a bad thing?

Last edited:
Here are the two Reuters items, btw:

BRUSSELS, Aug 6 (Reuters) - The European Union will next week review the list of states from which non-essential travel is allowed under coronavirus restrictions and could reconsider the inclusion of the United States, an EU official said on Friday.

BRUSSELS, Aug 9 (Reuters) - The European Union will not change its safe travel list this week, an EU official told Reuters on Monday, allowing non-essential travel from the United States to continue for the time being despite a surge in COVID cases there.

As far as I can see, no other major news agency like Politico or similar spoke to this unnamed EU official in Brussels on Friday, August 6, or on Monday, August 9, or to any other unnamed EU official for that matter, let alone to an EU official with a name.

Currently, anyone from the USA can travel to Spain - without proof of vaccination and without proof of a negative PCR test or a negative antigen test. There is unrestricted access for US travellers to Spain as far as public health measures are concerned. If Spain were to require proof of vaccination again as of September and a negative test of those who are not yet vaccinated - would that be such a bad thing?
Katharina - thank you so much for all this helpful information. I am arriving Spain on Sept. 27 so keeping a close eye on things. I am not too worried - as Doris Day says - "what will be will be". But thank you for clarifying all the rumors! :-D

€60,-
. If Spain were to require proof of vaccination again as of September and a negative test of those who are not yet vaccinated - would that be such a bad thing?
Not at all. I think that Spain was premature in dropping the vaccine requirement for those coming from the US back in June.

Last edited:
Actually, Katharina, I would be thrilled-and I was disappointed when non vaccinated were allowed to enter spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back