• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If you connect a stay in Germany/Italy with your Camino, flight from Cologne/Milano to Vitoria-Gasteiz

Michael; Camino-addicted

Take your time to enjoy a beautiful moment
Time of past OR future Camino
A few Caminos
Next plan - Camino de Baztan
Hola peregrinos,

as a German, I am in the fortunate position to come to the starting point of my Camino for little money. From America, Australia etc. it´s sometimes unbelievably expensive. If it suits your plans, I have a recommendation that may save a lot of money and time.

For the pilgrims who connect their Camino with a visit to Germany/Italy, I found a cheap flight from Cologne or Milano to Vitoria-Gasteiz. From there, for example, you can get to Burgos very well by train within a little more than 1 hour, and in the same time also to Irun and from there to Bayonne/St. Jean.

It may not be the direct way, but if you are in the area (to visit friends or family or the great Cathedrals) it´s a cheap possibility to enter the Camino Frances, Camino del Norte, Camino Vasco interior etc.

From april to october 2019 www.skyscanner.com say, there will be a flight nearly every Monday and Friday from Cologne and also two times a week from Milano. The costs are many times between 28,- € and 50,- €.

If it suits to you plans, take it;)

All the best for you.

Michael

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for taking the trouble to share your tip Michael. My husband & I (Canadians) will fly through Frankfurt this summer for a 'Camino family' reunion, and to volunteer in an English program nearby. Your message is reminding me of Camino-related pilgrim signs in the Mosel area of Germany, and of Cologne's cathedral. I wish had time to fly from there to Spain - European air fares look so good! Best wishes on your next pilgrimage.

Hallo Hobbyhorse,

you are right, we are very privileged in this matters. The distances are so small and we are now 23 countries that use the Euro as their currency. For me it would be not necessary to change the money one single time, if I want to walk from home to Santiago. All these things makes it much easier to stay in contact with your camino family.

The Mosel-Camino is quite popular in Germany. Very nice landscape, many little villages and you can have every evening a winetasting, because it´s one of the most important areas for white wine in Germany🍸.

All the best for you

Michael

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hola peregrinos,

as a German, I am in the fortunate position to come to the starting point of my Camino for little money. From America, Australia etc. it´s sometimes unbelievably expensive. If it suits your plans, I have a recommendation that may save a lot of money and time.

For the pilgrims who connect their Camino with a visit to Germany/Italy, I found a cheap flight from Cologne or Milano to Vitoria-Gasteiz. From there, for example, you can get to Burgos very well by train within a little more than 1 hour, and in the same time also to Irun and from there to Bayonne/St. Jean.

It may not be the direct way, but if you are in the area (to visit friends or family or the great Cathedrals) it´s a cheap possibility to enter the Camino Frances, Camino del Norte, Camino Vasco interior etc.

From april to october 2019 www.skyscanner.com say, there will be a flight nearly every Monday and Friday from Cologne and also two times a week from Milano. The costs are many times between 28,- € and 50,- €.

If it suits to you plans, take it;)

All the best for you.

Michael
Michael,
Thank you For sharing this info. I’m traveling in June to El Camino from Atlanta USA 🇺🇸 Staring in Sarria due to time constraints was thinking of flying to Madrid $$$ but I will still need to take a 6+ hr train to Sarria and same coming back. I have also explored Porto. I will be grateful for Any advice you can give me.
Mil Gracias!

Hallo Coffee Bean,

you gave me a difficult task but grabbed me in my ambition - I like it;)

The most suitable Airport to start in Sarria is Santiago itself.

First - I think, no surprice for you - it will be a long journey, between 27 and 30 hours!!!

I looked for flights on www.skyscanner.com for the beginning of June.

On this portal you can surch like "from Atlanta to Spain etc. in June 2019, only directly", then you will get the cities in Spain, where you can flight to from Atlanta. Spain was too expensive, so I looked to another country and so on . And then surching step by step from one country to the other. I love it, and I´m happy like a little boy, if it works at the end🥳

Tatatataaaa - Here it is

1) Atlanta - Milano(Italy) - Santiago 7. - 8. June 2019 for ca. 900,- €

Atlanta Hartsfield 18:12 - Milano Malpensa MXP 09:30
KLM, flight KL 6174; 860,- €

Milano Malpensa MXP 18:50 - Santiago 21:30
easyjet, flight EZY 2681; 39,- €

2) Atlanta - Providence - Dublin(Ireland) - Santiago 6. - 7. June 2019 for ca.410,- €

Atlanta Hartsfield 09:54 - Providence 12:15
Delta, flight DL 2225; 125,- €

Providence 19:55 - Dublin 07:55
Norwegian, flight DY 1822; 213,- €

Dublin 13:05 - Santiago 16:20
Aer Lingus, flight EI 742; 71,- €

So it´s your turn.

Do you want only one break in 27 hours or do you want to save more than half of the price for 3 hours and one break more?

All the best for you and Buen Camino

Michael

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back