• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If you could give just one piece of advice?

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi - was wondering ... dark dawn, the tremulous virgin pilgrim, all geared up, and about to take their first step along the way ...

if you could give just one - just one! - piece of advice, what would it be?

For me - tricky .... most likely would be "go slow and easy" (I think that counts as one piece of advice?)

.................. ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Connect with the other pilgrims. At the beginning of my camino I was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of pilgrims along the way, but once I opened up they gave me so much (and still give) and they became a big part of my journey.Even in my post camino life (2,5 yrs later now), were still close friends!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Everyone has a story no matter age, gender, national origin. When the situation presents itself, take the time to listen what another wants to share free of judgment, interruption, closed heart. When it's your turn on another day, speak freely to whomever gives you the time to listen in return. Many of us have this gift while we walk which we might not give often at home. Time.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
if you could give just one - just one! - piece of advice
- WEAR SUNSCREEN! Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! The song by Class of 99 , sorry David , could'nt resist.
To be more serious , Take time to look around you , I even turn around and walk backwards for a few paces , you will be amazed a the views from where you have come from.

Hi - was wondering ... dark dawn, the tremulous virgin pilgrim, all geared up, and about to take their first step along the way ...

For me - tricky .... most likely would be "go slow and easy" (I think that counts as one piece of advice?)

.................. ?

Just one advice? the weight of the back pack
Walk as light as possible

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

.................. ?
Halo David-greetings from Sunny South Africa - my only piece of advice to you would be.....Enjoy every step you give...the Camino only comes once in your life

.................. ?
Greetings from Sunny South Africa...my advice to you...Enjoy every step you make...the Camino only comes once in your life....remember,when you walk the Camino...the Camino becomes part of your life...you will never forget it....so walk and observe..share with others...BUT ENJOY...keep well and God bless..Johann Pretorius

.................. ?

David - I think you once said, "pilgrims should take half of the stuff in their rucksacks and double the money in their wallets" or words to that effect. I loved it.

€149,-
David - I think you once said, "pilgrims should take half of the stuff in their rucksacks and double the money in their wallets" or words to that effect. I loved it.

The quote I have is:
When you've decided what things you want to carry along and how much money you'll need, bring half as much stuff and twice as much money. You'll have done yourself proud if you use everything you brought at least once, and if you manage to avoid using all the money.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Everyone has a story no matter age, gender, national origin. When the situation presents itself, take the time to listen what another wants to share free of judgment, interruption, closed heart. When it's your turn on another day, speak freely to whomever gives you the time to listen in return. Many of us have this gift while we walk which we might not give often at home. Time.

I again agree with what mralisn said 200%. If you go with an open heart you will be rewarded with an amazing journey . The more you share of yourself the more you will get back

.................. ?
Rather than taking a pair of flipflops, carry a pair of walking sandals that you can walk in should you get blisters or have problems with your boots/shoes . Last year my expensive trail shoes gave me enormous problems, even though I had worn them in, and I eventually managed to buy a pair of sandals in Leon to walk in. This year I developed blisters 115 kms before Santiago, so I walked into Santiago in my sandals.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Like many others have already said, "go slowly." Jane and I took 43 days, and looking back, we should have taken 60 or more. Stop to smell the roses, sample the fruit growing wild. Sit and watch the water fowl, the fish, the squirrels. Enjoy the company of the other pilgrims, and don't let language be a barrier. Smiles, winks-of-the-eye, music and laughter have no particular language. Go slowly, and all of this and more will happen. I've also hiked the entire (3000 km) Appalachian Trail, and I willingly admit to enjoy hiking the 800 km of the Camino every bit as much.

I think many of the sentiments I mention here come out in Jane's book: Women of the Way: Embracing the Camino. The women we met along the Way were fantastic and gave me a whole new perspective on hiking and long distance travel. They were from all over the world, but we shared this common bond of the Camino and it was so liberating. Travel slowly and absorb what the Camino and your other pilgrims have to offer. Just remember, it is a two-way street and sharing goes both ways. Have a fantastic journey and do report back here!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The guidance you seek is not forthcoming. The question you bring will not be answered. The change you seek will not happen. But the Camino will provide much richer, more important, much simpler answers to more important questions. Listen for them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
David - Allow me to interject for just a moment. If I were you, my heart would be full of all of the pilgrims who care about you and are providing you with their BEST advice. I am so pleased, as you are one of the gentle voices that guide us on this forum.
Go well and safely, David.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Keep your backpack as light as possible. It helps to prevent injury and it makes the walk that much more enjoyable.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
David - Allow me to interject for just a moment. If I were you, my heart would be full of all of the pilgrims who care about you and are providing you with their BEST advice. I am so pleased, as you are one of the gentle voices that guide us on this forum.
Go well and safely, David.

Sweet LynneJohn, kind LynneJohn - it isn't me, it isn't about me - it is a hypothetical pilgrim to whom one can offer just one piece of advice ;)

(lot of squeezing extra advice into the sentences I see!!! - I am loving all the responses!)

It has taken me some time to get to this post David, I walk and read rather slowly you see , but at this very moment, as we all continue on our personal pilgrimages: I have to say many angels have given some excellent advice to anyone with the open heart to listen! Some practical some Spiritual and some brought a smile , I for one am so very grateful to this Camino forum it always provides.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery

€60,-
Love, love , LOVE yer feet like never before.......raise 'em up, massage ' em regularly, let 'em breathe, dip in the sea/ river whenever you can, walk barefoot after the day be done, attend to any problems, sing them to sleep, paint nails with pretty colour, show gratitude for their sheer fabulousness!!, allow others to also LOVE yer feet.....this is their time to shine....;-))

Don't bring your iPhone . Smile
Well , 11 years ago on my first camino , all the bars and some albergues had coin operated internet and there were internet cafes as well. Now with the Advent of WiFi , all those services are falling away. You need a Wi Fi phone more than ever now.
Back to Brother David's Thread .................. Cycling shorts to stop chaffing ....an awsome tip for those that have not walked such great distances.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well , 11 years ago on my first camino , all the bars and some albergues had coin operated internet and there were internet cafes as well. Now with the Advent of WiFi , all those services are falling away. You need a Wi Fi phone more than ever now.
Back to Brother David's Thread .................. Cycling shorts to stop chaffing ....an awsome tip for those that have not walked such great distances.

This is too much my mind is boggled painted nails and Lycra !! But I suppose its OK for Christmas Vicrev will love this he loves chaffing. ;)

Probably similar to the advice given to me as a new mother (many years ago)
Listen to all the advice from everyone and then decide what is right for you and your (replace the word baby) time on the Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with all of the above...... except maybe "paint nails with pretty colour" :)
...just helped to cover a few "blemishes", even managed to persuade a few fellow walkers to join in a purple nail celebration( both male & female!!) ...all a wee bit silly, but fun none the less ;-))

If you can swing the extra time, start in Dax or St. Palais in the Pyranees-Atlantique. It's a beautiful approach to the Pyranees and the St Palais to SJPdP takes you through where the Tours, Le Puy and Vezelay meet just outside of Ostabat.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back