Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

If you could only bike 1 day of the Camino Portugues, which day would you choose and why?

LotusCompass

Conscious Travel Coach
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino Portugal (2020)
Camino del Norte (2020)
I'm planning on walking the Camino Portuguese coastal route, and I want to take a day or two of biking instead of walking, but I'm having trouble choosing which day to bike. Any suggestions?

LotusCompass

Conscious Travel Coach
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino Portugal (2020)
Camino del Norte (2020)
Oh, good question! Porto. Well, this is after covid so it will be a while.

Camino(s) past & future
Lycra tribe.
CF (2017/8), VF (2018/9), Old Way (2020), VFnS (2020), CP (rebooked) (2021), VdT (ToDo)
There is a Eurovelo route from Porto to the border which is well signposted and has cycle lanes over quite a bit of the distance. Route is mainly flat. When you get into Spain, there is less protection for want of a word and more hills.

So Portugal for a safe pleasant journey or Spain if you prefer the burn of hills.

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
I haven't biked it, but I took the Senda Literal out of Porto and I'd suggest that first leg because it is mainly road. I started at the Cathedral and walked down to the waterfront (following the arrows, but that could be tricky on a bike - narrow stairs) and followed the river round to the sea and up to Matosinhos. Once I got further north I was mainly on boardwalk and sand, but that's the Literal, rather than the Coastal.

LotusCompass

Conscious Travel Coach
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino Portugal (2020)
Camino del Norte (2020)
There is a Eurovelo route from Porto to the border which is well signposted and has cycle lanes over quite a bit of the distance. Route is mainly flat. When you get into Spain, there is less protection for want of a word and more hills.

So Portugal for a safe pleasant journey or Spain if you prefer the burn of hills.
Ah, I see. I always prefer a slow burn of the hills by hiking them... makes it last longer, you know? Hehe. Thanks for the advice.

LotusCompass

Conscious Travel Coach
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino Portugal (2020)
Camino del Norte (2020)
I haven't biked it, but I took the Senda Literal out of Porto and I'd suggest that first leg because it is mainly road. I started at the Cathedral and walked down to the waterfront (following the arrows, but that could be tricky on a bike - narrow stairs) and followed the river round to the sea and up to Matosinhos. Once I got further north I was mainly on boardwalk and sand, but that's the Literal, rather than the Coastal.
Ah, that's good to know! Thanks so much!

Helen1

Camino(s) past & future
London to Santiago (2014)
Narbonne to Oloron (2015)
Camino Portugues (2016)
Sentier Cathar (2017)
Out of curiosity how are you going to get a bike for a couple of days? I quite liked the route out of Porto to Labruge. I found the coastal route a bit boring in places (not entirely sure if I was on the literal or coastal) but easy cycling, the board walk bits are ok for cycling but it's a bit noisy. I went in September and there seemed to be quite a lot of flat road stuff where you couldn’t see the sea because there was high maize growing either side of the road. Looking back at my [few] photos Esposende looks like it has nice cycle paths. My memory is hazy but I think Viana de Castelo onwards was more interesting and better for walking but also had more cobbles on the smaller roads (as in the whole road is bottom achingly cobbled to cycle over).

Ungawawa

Camino(s) past & future
2017-20: Francés, Norte, Francés, Portuguese Lisbon Coastal, Portuguese central
You should bike the first one or two, because otherwise when you switch to bike you'll leave behind all the people you've met so far, and the camaraderie of the camino is the largest part of its enjoyment!

Camino(s) past & future
Portugues '15, '16, & '19
Via Francigena '17
Frances '18
Muxia & Finisterre '18
Tahoe Rim Trail '19
I would ride the central route from Porto to Casa Fernanda (a little north of Barcelos). That way you can rent a bike in Porto and arrange to have it picked up at Casa Fernanda. Have lunch in Barcelos and an easy ride. Fernanda and family are great.

Advertisement

Booking.com