• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If you could only bike 1 day of the Camino Portugues, which day would you choose and why?

BuenC_JamieG

Conscious Travel Coach
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino Portugal (2020)
Camino del Norte (2020)
I'm planning on walking the Camino Portuguese coastal route, and I want to take a day or two of biking instead of walking, but I'm having trouble choosing which day to bike. Any suggestions?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh, good question! Porto. Well, this is after covid so it will be a while.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a Eurovelo route from Porto to the border which is well signposted and has cycle lanes over quite a bit of the distance. Route is mainly flat. When you get into Spain, there is less protection for want of a word and more hills.

So Portugal for a safe pleasant journey or Spain if you prefer the burn of hills.

I haven't biked it, but I took the Senda Literal out of Porto and I'd suggest that first leg because it is mainly road. I started at the Cathedral and walked down to the waterfront (following the arrows, but that could be tricky on a bike - narrow stairs) and followed the river round to the sea and up to Matosinhos. Once I got further north I was mainly on boardwalk and sand, but that's the Literal, rather than the Coastal.

There is a Eurovelo route from Porto to the border which is well signposted and has cycle lanes over quite a bit of the distance. Route is mainly flat. When you get into Spain, there is less protection for want of a word and more hills.

So Portugal for a safe pleasant journey or Spain if you prefer the burn of hills.
Ah, I see. I always prefer a slow burn of the hills by hiking them... makes it last longer, you know? Hehe. Thanks for the advice.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I haven't biked it, but I took the Senda Literal out of Porto and I'd suggest that first leg because it is mainly road. I started at the Cathedral and walked down to the waterfront (following the arrows, but that could be tricky on a bike - narrow stairs) and followed the river round to the sea and up to Matosinhos. Once I got further north I was mainly on boardwalk and sand, but that's the Literal, rather than the Coastal.
Ah, that's good to know! Thanks so much!

Out of curiosity how are you going to get a bike for a couple of days? I quite liked the route out of Porto to Labruge. I found the coastal route a bit boring in places (not entirely sure if I was on the literal or coastal) but easy cycling, the board walk bits are ok for cycling but it's a bit noisy. I went in September and there seemed to be quite a lot of flat road stuff where you couldn’t see the sea because there was high maize growing either side of the road. Looking back at my [few] photos Esposende looks like it has nice cycle paths. My memory is hazy but I think Viana de Castelo onwards was more interesting and better for walking but also had more cobbles on the smaller roads (as in the whole road is bottom achingly cobbled to cycle over).

You should bike the first one or two, because otherwise when you switch to bike you'll leave behind all the people you've met so far, and the camaraderie of the camino is the largest part of its enjoyment!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would ride the central route from Porto to Casa Fernanda (a little north of Barcelos). That way you can rent a bike in Porto and arrange to have it picked up at Casa Fernanda. Have lunch in Barcelos and an easy ride. Fernanda and family are great.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi We are on the Camino and wanted to warn our fellow travellers to stay away from O MUINO camping/ bungalow Park. They have signs on the road from Mougas saying pilgrim breakfast available...
I seem to recall reading somewhere that some of the Hotels or Pensions may have pilgrim rates that are lower than what you see on booking.com? If this is true how common is this and do you...
Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hello fellow Pilgrims☺️ I am planning to do the my first Caminho ( Portugese coastal route) in September. I have been reading in various posts that you can ask for a pilgrim’s discount for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back