• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If you could walk anywhere in December...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you had three weeks to walk in December, which route would you pick and where would you start? Just curious
Me, I am considering starting the Mozarbe in Malaga ( a route I have never walked and south enough for warmer weather :))
Hi @insightful-ear,
We frequently walk in Spain during the winter. As you say, the Camino Mozarabe could be a great choice.

If you don't mind whether you are on a trail or a camino, other possibilities in southern Spain include:
  • the GR 7 (especially nice in the Alpujarra on sunny winter days)
  • the Coast-to-Coast walk (mostly sunny for us in Dec. & Jan.)
  • the Genal Valley south of Ronda
  • Wikiloc also shows thousands of trails in southern Spain
Here's a link to all the GR's (long-distance trails) in Spain. Click on any province in the red map and you will get an overview of the GR's in that province.

Almeria is Spain's driest province in December. Weatherspark is great for comparing historical weather data on temperatures and precipitation.

Wishing you a great walk, whatever you decide.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you had three weeks to walk in December, which route would you pick and where would you start? Just curious
I walked the Portuguese between Lisbon and Porto in late Oct and the coastal from Porto to Santiago in Jan. The weather in Dec could be similar to Jan, maybe slightly milder. We had some warm days there in Jan, up to 14C, some rains as well but not so much. If you want to walk the Portuguese then it could be possible to do it in 3 weeks, it took me 10 days from Santarem to Porto and also 9 days Porto to Santiago on the Central route. Some albergues between Lisbon and Porto could be closed for winter but there are enough other options on the route. In Jan we met people who walked from Lisbon, so the route is a bit solitary there but gets busier after Porto. Bom Caminho! :)

When do you intend to start and finish in December, that part would would maybe sway my suggestion, some quieter routes won't have options to stay on the 23/24/25 December, the Mozarabe depending where you are on it might have that problem.

Last edited:
The Mozárabe, Lana, Levante, or any other southern route will be even more deserted in January than during the rest of the year. Because the Mozárabe from Almería has association-run albergues for the entire Almería to Granada stretch, those may be open all year. Private hostales and pensiones may be open, but may not be, so if you are relying on them, I would have a good list and a telephone while walking.

You can contact the Almería Association directly to find out about their albergues in December. Their website lists three email addresses!
caminomozarabedealmeria@gmail.com
almeriajacobea@gmail.com
mozarabeacci@gmail.com

The association also has a guide, updated very frequently, linked on their website. http://www.almeriajacobea.es/ It’s really all you need to walk.

I haven’t walked from Málaga, but the route from Almería is great.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would like to hike between Avignon and Nizza in the Provence / Côte d'Azure.
That's not quite a camino, but a historical and cultural very interesting hike.
It's 320km, perfect for a 14days trip. In December you got temps from 10-20°C.

Buen Camino!
Roland

Thank you all for your ideas and insights. Whatever I choose I feel it will be an informed one. Muchas gracias

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back