• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If You Don't Like Cow Poop- Stay out of the Countryside

witsendwv

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
If I have done this correctly here is a link to a Guardian article that warns Ribadesella tourists that they may be in the wrong place if they don't like cow poop and roosters crowing at 5AM. They put up posters to explain that they are in the country and happenings may be a bit different than at home!! Oh, how I wish I was maneuvering around piles of "meadow muffins" right now. Hopefully soon. :) 💩🐔🐄

1629492136155.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m tempted to ‘like’ that as I do live in a part of England which attracts many holidaymakers who occasionally complain about the noise of the church bells, smell and noise of the farms and the poor general infrastructure.

It may be thought to be an almost ‘charming’ communication, but it’s a fine line to tread before it starts to dissuade the tourists upon which many areas depend.

I breathe a sigh of relief when the nights close in and the tourists go home - but without them we couldn’t support five pubs, a 1* and a 2* restaurant; two shops and much more besides in a village of fewer than 800 inhabitants.

It’s a compromise.

Last edited:
I’m tempted to like that as I do live in a part of England which attracts many holidaymakers who occasionally complain about the noise of the church bells, smell and noise of the farms and the poor general infrastructure.

It may be thought to be an almost ‘charming’ communication, but it’s a fine line to tread before it starts to dissuade the tourists upon which many areas depend.
I breathe a sigh of relief when the nights close in and the tourists go home - but without them we couldn’t support five pubs, a 1* and a 2* restaurant; two shops and much more besides in a village of fewer than 800 inhabitants.

It’s a compromise.
Absolutely agree, I live in a very small town that relies on tourism and festivals that help fund local groups for the year. I don't think those posters would dissuade, I would find them humorous, and I hope those that complained would do the same. I do have to say though that I look forward to Nov. when they have all gone home. I say that as I am watching 17 cows and calves in my backyard!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I do think that tourists really *REALLY* need to remember that everything they do is a kind of invasion of someone else's home/neighbourhood...
Demanding that it be quiet so that pilgrims can sleep so that they can ignore the religious festivals upon which the pilgrimage is founded, being annoyed that the Spanish culture does not eat its main meal at 6pm (not that I even want to eat on factory time at home), being annoyed that places in many areas of the EU have neither central heat nor AC....
I wish that those people would just *not* leave home... as it seems that they really do not want to experience anything other than the conveniences and familiarity of home...
Yes, small areas may rely on tourism as an economic mainstay, but the tourists are supposed to want what is on offer, not demand that it all be sanitized and erased. If this message alienates some, it will surely attract many others and the village culture will not have to be auctioned off to become a mid-range Hilton.

edited to add:

My two worst holidays involve family members who wanted to say they had seen more of the world, but did not really want to leave their own homes.

I was the translator for my family when my grandmother demanded we include her in our 1998 trip to Paris. To pleaser her we had to eat at the same brasserie twice, the same resto-Chinois 3 times, and at McDonald's (where they had the only good coffee in France, apparently).

I was the translator for my goofball much-older brother in Paris and had to deal with him just being loud and brash and telling the Parisian maitre-D' that his wines could not compare to anything from California. *smdh*. ...and complaining that dinner was not at 6pm... and bragging about his apartment off the champs when I was housed in a wee studio in the Cité Universitaire Maison du Canada for my work-stay...

In my soul I am still apologizing...

Last edited by a moderator:
I do think that tourists really *REALLY* need to remember that everything they do is a kind of invasion of someone else's home/neighbourhood...
Demanding that it be quiet so that pilgrims can sleep so that they can ignore the religious festivals upon which the pilgrimage is founded, being annoyed that the Spanish culture does not eat its main meal at 6pm (not that I even want to eat on factory time at home), being annoyed that places in many areas of the EU have neither central heat nor AC....
I wish that those people would just *not* leave home... as it seems that they really do not want to experience anything other than the conveniences and familiarity of home...
Yes, small areas may rely on tourism as an economic mainstay, but the tourists are supposed to want what is on offer, not demand that it all be sanitized and erased. If this message alienates some, it will surely attract many others and the village culture will not have to be auctioned off to become a mid-range Hilton.
Our second camino was the Primitivo. We had stopped in Campiello after a long day looking forward to a very long day crossing the hospitales. The festival started just as we tried to go to sleep and lasted until about 4AM. I think we got about 2 hours of sleep before we started to walk. I won't begrudge anyone their local festivals and fairs. We were the visitors, we walked despite the lack of sleep, and slept very well the next night.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I do remember one particularly noisy, and early rising, cockerel that was returned to its owner as a very elegantly presented coq-au-vin. Those interested in the country life might like to search Ubend for a song of that title by Show of Hands 😉
Ouch- I don't mind the roosters. I am a madrugada and they just remind me that it is time for my feet to hit the floor!

A cockerel lives straight across the road from my house, and there is a stable with 2 or 3 horses, and numerous dogs. It is maybe 50mtrs away. There is a field with cows moo-ing not 75mtrs away.
I don't think I could sleep WITHOUT the animal noises tbh, they comfort me.
I live at the very edge of a rural Irish town, so I have the best of both worlds. I can look out of my front door in one direction and see fields, and I see a busy street if I look in the other direction. The shop is only 5minutes walk. I'm very lucky to live here.

Our second camino was the Primitivo. We had stopped in Campiello after a long day looking forward to a very long day crossing the hospitales. The festival started just as we tried to go to sleep and lasted until about 4AM. I think we got about 2 hours of sleep before we started to walk. I won't begrudge anyone their local festivals and fairs. We were the visitors, we walked despite the lack of sleep, and slept very well the next night.
I was in Lorca in a similar situation. The local band did a creditable rendition of
“Highway to Hell” at about 4:30. Happily this pre-dawn screecher became an ear-worm and the unofficial theme song for at least the next few days walking. Another surreal day on the Francés.

All the best,
Paul

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The roosters crowing and the piles of livestock caca so few and far between on the Camino, or at least I found it to be that I hardly notice. Maybe it's there more than I notice. I don't know. I do know I've never had the sound of a rooster wake me up in the morning. Most of the time I am up before the roosters when staying in albergues, even though I am still lying on the bunk taking my time and contemplating the day ahead. As far as livestock, step aside them (give them room they are not pets) and step around their poop. I spent enough summers as a youngster at my grandparent's rural home to have learned that early.

If I have done this correctly here is a link to a Guardian article that warns Ribadesella tourists that they may be in the wrong place if they don't like cow poop and roosters crowing at 5AM. They put up posters to explain that they are in the country and happenings may be a bit different than at home!! Oh, how I wish I was maneuvering around piles of "meadow muffins" right now. Hopefully soon. :) 💩🐔🐄

View attachment 107221
Growing up around the cattle industry, for me, manure is the smell of money. The more the better.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

edited to add:

My two worst holidays involve family members who wanted to say they had seen more of the world, but did not really want to leave their own homes.

I was the translator for my family when my grandmother demanded we include her in our 1998 trip to Paris. To pleaser her we had to eat at the same brasserie twice, the same resto-Chinois 3 times, and at McDonald's (where they had the only good coffee in France, apparently).

I was the translator for my goofball much-older brother in Paris and had to deal with him just being loud and brash and telling the Parisian maitre-D' that his wines could not compare to anything from California. *smdh*. ...and complaining that dinner was not at 6pm... and bragging about his apartment off the champs when I was housed in a wee studio in the Cité Universitaire Maison du Canada for my work-stay...

In my soul I am still apologizing...
I feel your pain. I'm planning on a trip next year and at a moment of weakness invited another couple. The phrase that brings chills to my spine is "we don't want to go where everyone else goes, we just want to see the countryside" What the heck does that mean? I figure I'll just drop them off in an empty field while I go experience the rest.

I feel your pain. I'm planning on a trip next year and at a moment of weakness invited another couple. The phrase that brings chills to my spine is "we don't want to go where everyone else goes, we just want to see the countryside" What the heck does that mean? I figure I'll just drop them off in an empty field while I go experience the rest.
I “liked” you comment but really I just mean, “I agree.”

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Tincatinker If anyone would steal and kill my pet and then return it dead as a joke I would report them to the police sooner than they can say "sorry". People think this kind of story is funny because it's "just" a chicken. But what if someone would steal the neighbours dog and return it in form of a nice leather jacket because its barking was considered to be too loud? If anyone would ever dare to harm my chickens, they'd be in a lot of trouble for sure! My ladies are already five/six years old and part of the family. Still laying fine also. They can be louder than a rooster, sometimes. I know the comment was meant to be light hearted, but as a chicken owner it's horrible to think that kind of thing might happen and that people even find it funny :-( [edit: added chicken photos!]

Last edited:
@Tincatinker If anyone would steal and kill my pet and then return it dead as a joke I would report them to the police sooner than they can say "sorry". People think this kind of story is funny because it's "just" a chicken. But what if someone would steal the neighbours dog and return it in form of a nice leather jacket because its barking was considered to be too loud? If anyone would ever dare to harm my chickens, they'd be in a lot of trouble for sure! My ladies are already five/six years old and part of the family. Still laying fine also. They can be louder than a rooster, sometimes. I know the comment was meant to be light hearted, but as a chicken owner it's horrible to think that kind of thing might happen and that people even find it funny :-( [edit: added chicken photos!]
Lovely photos of your prized chickens. Thank you for sharing them as it gives a more serious look at what I am sure was meant as a harmless, lighthearted comment.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@good_old_shoes, I really did grow-up in the “country”. I learnt early on a respect for the land, the beasts and the people that worked them. I learnt how precious the relationship between man and beast could be. I’ve blown breath into an inert lamb. Turned a doubled calf and saved both; and failed more than once of each.
Those are some fine looking fowl you have there and your pride in them is obvious. I’ll take comfort from the thought that you would never let your pets drive your neighbours to such actions.
My tale, though as true as any Tinker’s tale, was told with a light heart yes, and therefore with no intention to cause pain.

Bertha looks like such a good mom, and is it weird I’m deeply in love with Snow White? I grew up in a beach town in SoCal, lived around the world with the military and am now in a rural town on the sad cusp of citification. Each nearby town as well as ours has at least two feed stores. They sell chicks in the spring so I need to stock up before then because I know I can’t resist getting any, I especially am drawn to the ones who lay green eggs—I guess the clerk never read Dr Suess as he didn’t see why I was laughing

I miss the sweet cloying smell of silage rotting. We don't make it often in Australia.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I do remember one particularly noisy, and early rising, cockerel that was returned to its owner as a very elegantly presented coq-au-vin. Those interested in the country life might like to search Ubend for a song of that title by Show of Hands 😉
Hi Tincatinker, love Show of Hands but cannot find the link to Ubend. Would you be kind enough to post one, please? Been lucky enough to watch them live several times, the last at an English folk festival in Portugal!
Sorry for veering away from the original posting

Hi Tincatinker, love Show of Hands but cannot find the link to Ubend. Would you be kind enough to post one, please? Been lucky enough to watch them live several times, the last at an English folk festival in Portugal!
Sorry for veering away from the original posting
Sorry Sue, Ubend, Tinker cant for Youtube - see previous refs to Godgle, Tripeadvertiser et al ;)

Here's Steve Knightley in all his pomp & rage:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

For whatever reason I do not see your photos and that makes me sad as I too had hens, lovely Rhodesia Island Reds, and they were very, VERY, funny/adorable/clever friends. We had to give them up because the city’s rules were open to contest and so they went to live on a hobby farm with a Copper Blue rooster. I heard that they produced many little blue-grey chicks…

Sorry Sue, Ubend, Tinker cant for Youtube - see previous refs to Godgle, Tripeadvertiser et al ;)

Here's Steve Knightley in all his pomp & rage:

Additionally, go here (to Soundcloud) and listen to whole albums … and, as far as I am aware, it has nothing to do with Goggle …. yet 😉

Edited: Oops, link was incomplete …

Further edit: Posting links to Soundcloud is quite a challenge 😳

Good sound quality though .. 😉

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

There may yet be time available to dissuade them from going with you. Mention your plan to spend enormous amounts of time in museums or at tourist-popular (therefore crowded) locations. Mention your plan to save on luggage by bring only one change of underwear ... and thank them for understanding. If they like the convenience of taxis, mention that you only use public transport.... Alternately, if they don’t like spending money, start talking about how expensive it will be...

😇

For those who don’t read Spanish, I would like to point out that in this lighthearted poster there is no mention of either poop or smells. It lists the nuisance of the sounds of church bells, roosters and various animals wearing noisy bells, tractors, and asphalt roads instead of divided highways.

But don’t let that spoil the fun …

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The pueblo of Fonfria was redolent , gorgeous , full of cattle and friendly cattle dogs and proved to be one of my favourite nights on the Frances. That dog sat on my feet for 5 minutes just to pass the time of day. I found myself photographing passing bovines regularly. Oh yes,I was raised on a dairy farm and felt right at home in Galicia especially.

Attachments

• tempImageogygQm.png
    tempImageogygQm.png
    10.7 MB · Views: 12
  • tempImage2bqEFw.png
    tempImage2bqEFw.png
    10.4 MB · Views: 15
  • tempImage0YdKMo.png
    tempImage0YdKMo.png
    17.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 582CDA5D-771B-4D8C-A57D-EC78A7799BE2.jpeg
    582CDA5D-771B-4D8C-A57D-EC78A7799BE2.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 15
For those who don’t read Spanish, I would like to point out that in this lighthearted poster there is no mention of either poop or smells. It lists the nuisance of the sounds of church bells, roosters and various animals wearing noisy bells, tractors, and asphalt roads instead of divided highways.

But don’t let that spoil the fun …
The poster doesn't mention the poop, just the guardian article: "Other tourists dialled up officials in the northern Spanish village of Ribadesella, population 5,700, to notify them of the mess left behind by wandering cows." 🐄 🥾 :)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back