• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If you dug a tunnel through the planet from Santiago

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi - this is a fun app - shows you where you would surface if you dug a tunnel through the planet - Santiago de Compostela would come up in New Zealand, West coast/Canterbury border.

I would drown, coming up in the Pacific from Oxford UK!

https://www.antipodesmap.com/

Oh dear, the things we come up with to pass the time when there is no Camino ............

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It just proves that Kiwis have the have the farthest to travel to get to the Camino — this from a list of antipodes on that site:
Christchurch (New Zealand) — A Coruna (Spain)
Madrid (Spain) — Weber (New Zealand)
Wellington (New Zealand) — Alaejos (Spain)
Nelson (New Zealand) — Mogadouro (Portugal)
Whangarei (New Zealand) — Tangier (Morocco)
Tauranga (New Zealand) — Jaen (Spain)
Hamilton (New Zealand) — Cordoba (Spain)

Well David you would need a small boat and row east to the town of Hokitika - it rains a lot. An interesting experiment,.
There is antipodean story about one Royal Navy Lieutenant (later Captain) James Cook, who asked is officers to remove their hats as they sailed through Cook Straight. Cook reasoned that they were sailing under Westminister Abby. Cheers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My town, Durcal, would come up in a place with a beautiful name: "Bay of Plenty". I would not mind living in Hahei, not at all!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi - this is a fun app - shows you where you would surface if you dug a tunnel through the planet - Santiago de Compostela would come up in New Zealand, West coast/Canterbury border.

Oh dear, the things we come up with to pass the time when there is no Camino ............
I'd also be all wet, David. I'd find myself 245km WSW of the nearest solid ground, Saint Paul Island, a tiny remnant of a volcanic crater in the middle of the Indian Ocean which Wikipedia tells me is all of 6.2 sq km in area. Actually, now that I think about it, I think may have talked to someone on Saint Paul Island many years ago when I was an active ham radio enthusiast. It's a small world, after all.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I'm swimming, too. It looks like I'm about halfway between Perth and the Island of Grande Terre southwest of Australia.

I’d be swimming too. One of my sons told me years ago that the closest land would be the Kerguelen Islands, “one of the most isolated places on earth” according to the net, of the French Southern Territories, in the southern Indian Ocean. My son did want to go there at one point, but he’s since managed to get to Stewart Island, NZ, which I now see is almost at the same latitude as the Kerguelens. (Thanks, @David, I’m learning new things with this tread.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Based on the number of swimmers responding to this thread, I guess that just proves that 2/3 (or perhaps a bit more) of the earth's surface is water.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
An "interesting" fact is that it would take about 40 minutes to fall through the tube and come out the other side, assuming no air resistance. Almost as interesting is that it would take about 40 minutes to fall through any tunnel dug in a straight line between any two points on the Earth's surface, assuming no air resistance or friction with the sides of the tunnel.
Another peculiar notion, seemingly held by many Americans, is that if they were to dig straight down from anywhere in the USA, they would come out in China, whereas there is no point in the USA that is opposite to any point in China.

An "interesting" fact is that it would take about 40 minutes to fall through the tube and come out the other side, assuming no air resistance. Almost as interesting is that it would take about 40 minutes to fall through any tunnel dug in a straight line between any two points on the Earth's surface, assuming no air resistance or friction with the sides of the tunnel.
Another peculiar notion, seemingly held by many Americans, is that if they were to dig straight down from anywhere in the USA, they would come out in China, whereas there is no point in the USA that is opposite to any point in China.

Would there not be a diminishing of gravity as the core was approached, slowing the speed of travel?

so glad that the US and China are not opposite each other, if they were there would already be freight train lines transferring goods!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Isn’t the inside of the earth supposed to be molten rock? Steps would have to be taken to skirt that; that would increase the distance and the time required. No? 🙃

Too many variables.
Might depend on whether you are using boots or shoes, poncho or rain jacket and of course poles or not! ;)

If I traveled through the middle of the earth from my house, I would end up in Riano, about 60 kilometres north east of Leon in Spain. I looked it up on Google Earth and it looks like a lovely little place beside a large lake. It would suit me just fine as all Kiwis like being close to water and I would not have to travel for 28 hours to get to the Camino.

€149,-
Would there not be a diminishing of gravity as the core was approached, slowing the speed of travel?

so glad that the US and China are not opposite each other, if they were there would already be freight train lines transferring goods!
Yes, gravity diminishes as you approach the centre of the Earth, zero at the centre, to be exact. But gravity diminishing does not slow your speed, it only slows the rate of acceleration. By the time you get to the centre (20 minutes or so) you have been accelerating for 20 minutes, so you are going very fast. You then start to slow down (due to gravity pulling you back), and your speed will be zero as you come out the other side. It is the same principle as a pendulum. There is no net force acting on the pendulum as it passes through the centre of its arc.

Isn’t the inside of the earth supposed to be molten rock? Steps would have to be taken to skirt that; that would increase the distance and the time required. No? 🙃
It's very much a theoretical calculation. Nobody (in their right mind) dreams of making a tunnel through the centre of the Earth. But it's a bit surprising that the time would be the same for a (theoretical) tunnel going in a straight line from London to New York, or from Moscow to Cape Town, avoiding the centre of the Earth, and assuming no friction or air resistance.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@VNwalking

I entered my hometown of Coromandel and ended up in Puerto De La Torre, apparently a stop on the Malaga Mozarabe Camino. And of course now I will need to walk it! @David , thanks! This was fun.

I think the idea is that the tunnel goes right through it but is, somehow, perhaps through advanced technology, shielded from it by heat-proof walls.

It's very much a theoretical calculation. Nobody (in their right mind) dreams of making a tunnel through the centre of the Earth. But it's a bit surprising that the time would be the same for a (theoretical) tunnel going in a straight line from London to New York, or from Moscow to Cape Town, avoiding the centre of the Earth, and assuming no friction or air resistance.
I was thinking about that. I suspect the idea is that, from London to New York you are not going straight "down" (the direction that gravity is pulling) but just a bit down with a lot of lateral movement. So that might slow down your acceleration and it may all even out in the end.

My town, Durcal, would come up in a place with a beautiful name: "Bay of Plenty". I would not mind living in Hahei, not at all!
Hahei is indeed very nice!

I would end up South East of Sevilla, between Olvera and Ronda.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back