• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If you go down to the woods today . . .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On the ST Olavsleden in Sweden I came across bear tracks on a forest path one morning. I later read that the forest had the most dense concentration of brown bears in Europe. I wasn't totally surprised to see the tracks there. Bumping into a bear in the street in Ponferrada would be a different matter and I'd start to wonder about last night's orujo! :) Since I read the story I've been wondering about tactics if you do meet one. Especially marmalade sandwiches. Should you carry one just in case to use as a bribe and a decoy? Or would the smell attract the bears in the first place?

More on animal resurgence HERE if you are interested.

When I worked in North West Ontario in the 70s we'd see a lot of bear tracks but seldom the animals themselves.

On one project we were surveying a route for a pipeline that had to cross a river channel, go over a small island, back through the channel and then up a bluff.

We were surveying on the north side of the island one morning and, when we broke for lunch, decided to dump our equipment and survey stakes in the scrub on the south side while we took our boat down the lake for lunch (we weren't far from town).

On our return, pressed into the river mud, were the tracks of a bear and her cub. We measured the the hind prints at 14 inches and 2 inch claws.

Never saw the bear but ended the day with sore necks from constantly looking over our shoulders!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
A bear? Nothing I tell you! Many years ago a circus came to my home town and the council gave them permission to set up in the town centre rather than the usual outskirts. One evening (town centre remember) the animal rights activists decided to further their cause by releasing four lions! Much terror and running about and one man was mauled but saved by a policeman ramming the lion with his car. A clown from the circus ran out with a chair and whip to control the lions. All were captured and no serious injuries.

A bear? Nothing I tell you! Many years ago a circus came to my home town and the council gave them permission to set up in the town centre rather than the usual outskirts. One evening (town centre remember) the animal rights activists decided to further their cause by releasing four lions! Much terror and running about and one man was mauled but saved by a policeman ramming the lion with his car. A clown from the circus ran out with a chair and whip to control the lions. All were captured and no serious injuries.
Good grief! I'm not sure which would scare me the most: the lions or the clown!

I’ll see your lions and raise you an elephant! Sadly a circus elephant who lost its footing outside my nearest decent Indian takeaway. The fountain in which it slipped (but came to no harm) was covered over in case any future pachyderms should come to grief. There have been no subsequent reports of elephantine injuries.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a bear phobia and it always has me concerned when I've visited the Rocky mountains in the western US and Canada. In spite of the beautiful scenery, my fear is always lurking within me, robbing some of my joy even in the short hikes.
I always thought the Camino routes were "bear proof", as in no bears...yikes!

During the Covid lockdowns there were quite a few reports of wild animals coming into towns and cities. And even before, I remember this video of a family of wild boars tangling with traffic in Rome.

And this is a fascinating documentary about wolves in northern Spain, including Galicia. Not sure when it was made, but probably in the 1980s.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back