• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If you had 45-49 days for the Camino Frances, how would you spend it?

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
I'll have around 45 days to walk the CF, which obviously gives me time to stop along the way. And/or it gives me time at the end to spend in SdC, Finisterre, or elsewhere.

So, for those that have walked the CF already, knowing what you know about the great cities/villages to spend extra time at along the way, where would you suggest a first-time pilgrim to stop at? I haven't yet decided if I will walk to Finisterre from SdC, but there's a good chance I will, so hanging out on the coast for a few days is another (great) option. And planning on flying home from Porto or Madrid.

Of course all this stuff is subjective, and I will need to decide based on my own preferences, but it's always nice to hear the views of others. So if you had 45-49 days, where would you spend the extra days not spent walking?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It seems that this will be your first Camino. If so, congratulations!!!

I had an unlimited time to walk my first one. That said, I found the stages in Brierly's guidebook matched my walking ability. I didn't take my time, but I definitely did not rush!

Take time to enjoy the journey and really SEE the world around you. Listen to the people and the sounds of nature. Feel free to let your mind wander (but not your feet).

Don't plan on taking your time because you don't know what the Camino will do to you - make you ill, get blisters, get lost, could be anything!! When you need to take a break, enjoy it and stay an extra day. I have always spent extra time in Estrella, Burgos, and Leon.

You may find another village along the way that really strikes your fancy. I have pilgrim friends who ended up spending an extra week in the village with the monastery and the monks who let lay people hang out with them for a while - and they did! Wasn't planned!!

There are also a few interesting detours which I haven't yet had a chance to explore but will gladly take the time to zig where I had planned to zag.

Pay close attention to any signals your body may be giving you - fix a sock to prevent a blister, drink some water, slow down, end your day early. Enjoy the company of your fellow pilgrims and hospitaleros.

Buen Camino!!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Does that include travel days? Too many folks fly/train/bus in and start walking the next morning to their own detriment. If needed, be kind to yourself and enjoy a buffer day or two prior to walking.

Additionally, take shorter days now and then while walking to just move at a different pace and also let your body heal a bit. Spend an extra day in Burgos and Leon, plus a few in Santiago. Walk to the coast, but personally I felt it was a bit of a let down after the CF (yes, I am one of the few who think that…).

In Porto, spend a day going up the Douro River Valley by train and stop in a winery or two. Walk the downtown and out to the beach. Take an overnight trip to Guimaraes to see what a non- Camino feels like!

In short, you won’t be at a want for things to do with that “extra” time; my advice is not to try to rush the Camino to create it.

I'll have around 45 days to walk the CF, which obviously gives me time to stop along the way. And/or it gives me time at the end to spend in SdC, Finisterre, or elsewhere.

So, for those that have walked the CF already, knowing what you know about the great cities/villages to spend extra time at along the way, where would you suggest a first-time pilgrim to stop at? I haven't yet decided if I will walk to Finisterre from SdC, but there's a good chance I will, so hanging out on the coast for a few days is another (great) option. And planning on flying home from Porto or Madrid.

Of course all this stuff is subjective, and I will need to decide based on my own preferences, but it's always nice to hear the views of others. So if you had 45-49 days, where would you spend the extra days not spent walking?
45 days to plan between SJPP and Finisterre?
Its indeed a very subjective Project Planning! And, if I might add: A wonderful project with lots of one of the mains resources (usually scarce for most pilgrims) — time— available (the other major resource is, of course, money).
Personally, and because I already been many times to these cities between SJPP and SdC, I would use these 45 days and leave from around Laurzete in France (kind of half way between Le Puy and SJPP) and walk towards SdC.

Other option I'd think about would be walking to SdC (and Finisterre ) then get a Bus to some place along the Camino Portuguese and walk north, again to SdC.

Of Course I understood that you want to get to know better some of the cities along the way, between SJPP and Finisterre so, my recommendation for extra days would be:
- An extra day or two in Burgos
- An extra day in Leon
- Around 03 days in Santiago
- An extra day in Finisterre ( if you plan to finish there, so you can proper chill out!)
- And other two or three random extra days in small and cozy places that the Camino will want you to linger a bit ....

The above would add up around 08 to 10 days to your normal trip, still leaving ˜37 days to complete the stages (which is plenty to allow you savor and enjoy all the Camino will have to show you!)
Let us know how these will play out when you're back!

Enjoy the way!

V.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Does that include travel days? Too many folks fly/train/bus in and start walking the next morning to their own detriment. If needed, be kind to yourself and enjoy a buffer day or two prior to walking.

Additionally, take shorter days now and then while walking to just move at a different pace and also let your body heal a bit. Spend an extra day in Burgos and Leon, plus a few in Santiago. Walk to the coast, but personally I felt it was a bit of a let down after the CF (yes, I am one of the few who think that…).

In Porto, spend a day going up the Douro River Valley by train and stop in a winery or two. Walk the downtown and out to the beach. Take an overnight trip to Guimaraes to see what a non- Camino feels like!

In short, you won’t be at a want for things to do with that “extra” time; my advice is not to try to rush the Camino to create it.
The total amount I have off of work is 8 weeks, so 56 days. I want to have about a week at home to decompress before going back to work, and it will take me a couple days each way to get there/back. So that leaves roughly 45 days in total.

Taking a day or two to rest up at the beginning is consistent advice that I've been getting, and I plan to heed that advice (for one night anyway). But man, it's difficult to ignore that impatient voice that just wants to get started... :)

45 days to plan between SJPP and Finisterre?
Its indeed a very subjective Project Planning! And, if I might add: A wonderful project with lots of one of the mains resources (usually scarce for most pilgrims) — time— available (the other major resource is, of course, money).
Personally, and because I already been many times to these cities between SJPP and SdC, I would use these 45 days and leave from around Laurzete in France (kind of half way between Le Puy and SJPP) and walk towards SdC.

Other option I'd think about would be walking to SdC (and Finisterre ) then get a Bus to some place along the Camino Portuguese and walk north, again to SdC.

Of Course I understood that you want to get to know better some of the cities along the way, between SJPP and Finisterre so, my recommendation for extra days would be:
- An extra day or two in Burgos
- An extra day in Leon
- Around 03 days in Santiago
- An extra day in Finisterre ( if you plan to finish there, so you can proper chill out!)
- And other two or three random extra days in small and cozy places that the Camino will want you to linger a bit ....

The above would add up around 08 to 10 days to your normal trip, still leaving ˜37 days to complete the stages (which is plenty to allow you savor and enjoy all the Camino will have to show you!)
Let us know how these will play out when you're back!

Enjoy the way!

V.
Lots of great suggestions, thank you.

"Let us know how these will play out when you're back!"

Ha ha - I don't leave until next May, so I will no doubt be bugging everyone here with follow up questions long before I leave :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would do lots of research before going so I knew what I might come across and then I'd just start walking. When I felt like stopping to look around town, I would. And if I had so much fun stopping along the way that I did not get to Santiago, then I'd come back again. A significant lesson for many first-timers is *letting go*

The total amount I have off of work is 8 weeks, so 56 days. I want to have about a week at home to decompress before going back to work, and it will take me a couple days each way to get there/back. So that leaves roughly 45 days in total.

Taking a day or two to rest up at the beginning is consistent advice that I've been getting, and I plan to heed that advice (for one night anyway). But man, it's difficult to ignore that impatient voice that just wants to get started... :)
I stayed at an albergue that I really liked and got on well with the Brothers running it and I had a couple of weeks spare and so I asked if they would like me as a volunteer helper after I had finished.

We agreed but then I later got ill and needed the time to recover so the volunteering never happened that time around.

My net advice on this is to not necessarily dawdle along the way, but keep yourself open to opportunities. They may well appear.

If you're at all like me, you'll probably overplan and then have to adjust smile.png

SJPP is worth an extra day, to help with jet lag if any, but also to be able to make a more relaxed start, then definitely break up that stage into two days by staying at Orisson or Borda which will have to be booked in advance. And you'll read lots of good advice here to book through Pamplona, to which I would add that we wished we had broken this section up so that we had one extra day rather than Roncevalles --> Zubiri --> Pamplona.

TBH after that, I'd just see how things went. You might decide that you like shorter stages, so Santiago is the natural end point. Or that you like covering lots of distance and then having more time to explore Burgos, Leon, etc. Or that you don't like cities at all, but would rather take rest days in quiet little villages and blitz through (or even taxi past) the cities. You might like staying in the towns at the end of Brierly stages, or you might like quieter places with fewer pilgrims.

All of this will be hard to know in advance. The good news is — you don't have to know. You can just listen to your body, mind and spirit to decide what to do. As long as you're on track to make your flight home at a pace that's comfortable for you, it's all good.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You definitely want to walk to Finsterer from Santiago--one of the best hikes of the entire trip. SJPDP to Santiago can be easily done in less than 30 days , giving you plenty of time to visit cities. Suggest you read James Mitchener book IBERIA for the chapters relating to the Camino Frances as he gives a lot of information regarding places not in the guide books. And with that much time, I would give some thought to planning on an alternate way to bypass the crowded circus of Sarria to Santiago. On some of the other Camino sites , people have posted alternate routes that bypass Sarria which appear interesting. Also I have met people in Finisterre who after finishing the Frances in Santiago, walked the Ingles backwards and then walked the coast to Finisterre--unsure how long.

I would use the spare time to have the luxury to walk without planning.
Maybe the Camino opens an opportunity for activities, rests , or people you like to join for longer.
Don't plan, start your walk an find out.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Agree with lots of things already said - extra time in Burgos, Leon, Astorga... I probably would easily add Pamplona as there is lots to see....
re: pre-Camino time. I flew to Paris overnight, hung around there next day (found my way to my hostel and figured out all logistics to Gare Montparnasse then did some little touristy stuff) and got on the train to SJPdP the folloing day - hence I had 2 full days before starting walking the Camino proper. If you have time to spend an extra day in SJPdP - I'd say go for it (I wish I did).
re: post-Camino - 3-4 days in Santiago easy. Lots of things to see and do...truly wonderful time.
it took me 3 1/2 days to walk to Finisterre and I did it very comfortably.... I did wish that in hindsight I just chilled there for couple of extra days.... as it was my wife and I went to Madrid to spend 2 days there and IMHO that was a bit too much.... we were tired to deal with city like that
Whatever you decide to do - BUEN CAMINO!

We spent our extra few days in Paris before and after but if I had to do it again, i would go through Madrid or Barcelona. We didn’t have time for Finistere. We had 45 days.

As you schedule this out, consider catching a bus when you get to Pamplona to San Sebastián on the coast. About an hour and a half bus ride.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for all the replies. It's becoming clear that I don't have nearly as much time as I thought I did... I was feeling so pleased that I was awash in buckets of spare time. Alas that isn't the case. However 49 days does mean that I'm not overly rushed, and should have time to either slow things down along the way, or spend some time at the end.

Kicking myself for not negotiating 3 months off work instead of two... Retirement is looking better and better to me :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for all the replies. It's becoming clear that I don't have nearly as much time as I thought I did... I was feeling so pleased that I was awash in buckets of spare time. Alas that isn't the case. However 49 days does mean that I'm not overly rushed, and should have time to either slow things down along the way, or spend some time at the end.

Kicking myself for not negotiating 3 months off work instead of two... Retirement is looking better and better to me :)
Considering that the average time for the Camino Francés is around five weeks, you really do have buckets of time.

It's becoming clear that I don't have nearly as much time as I thought I did... I was feeling so pleased that I was awash in buckets of spare time. Alas that isn't the case. However 49 days does mean that I'm not overly rushed, and should have time to either slow things down along the way, or spend some time at the end.
I agree 100%. Maybe you will finish comfortably in 30 days. More likely you will finish somewhere around the mid-30s. However, one illness or injury that requires 4 days off, plus a spontaneous decision to spend an extra day somewhere, will bring easily bring you up to 40 days. Then you have some time to play with in Finisterre, Santiago, Porto, Madrid, or elsewhere. You won't have trouble filling that time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree, with the sentiments about not planning too much. My Camino started with a 10 day enforced rest in Pamplona because I hurt my shin. That would pretty much take up your extra days!

See what the Camino brings you, and if you finish early maybe you’ll have someplace you wanted to go back to and visit for a little longer. A few hundred km on foot is a long way but it’s only an afternoon on a train!

And there are some walks along the Galician coast, If you end up in Finisterre and are looking for something to do. Or just walk towards Porto to catch a plane…

I think you did well with planning a couple extra weeks. Towards the end you might be anxious to get home. Congratulate yourself on your good forethought.

Don’t turn it into a job with necessary goals.

LOL... you wanna bet that if you had 2-3 years THAT would not be "enough"?!
I do not think I was EVER that envious of anything in my life as I was of people whom I met on Camino and who told me "I have ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD"! Some of them nicely walked even 5km\day if they were so inclined or hung out in some small villages "just because they felt like it".
AHHHHH The Freedom of doing so. 😍

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Towards the end you might be anxious to get home.
That is a definite consideration. While I'm here at home it feels like I want to go for several months, but you are quite right that I may become somewhat homesick along the way. In particular I will be leaving behind my teenage daughter, whom I don't think I've ever spent more than a night away from. So yeah, despite all the eager talk about walking endlessly I may find that I'm more than ready to come home when the time comes. But I hope not. I will be doing my best to keep my head in the game and not let thoughts of home distract me...

Maybe walk your Camino first. Then decide. Do you want to do the Ingles? Do you want to go to Muxia and Finnestre? Do you want to walk another short Camino (last 100 km of the Invierno, Portuguese, Ingles). My husband likes to go to Spain by himself in the fall/winter. Last year he had 2 months in Spain. He walked first to his albergue as a pilgrim, volunteered for two weeks as a hospitalero, walked another several days as a pilgrim. Left the Camino at Ponferrada when he had an opportunity to volunteer for an English Language School for 10 days and then finished up by going to Spanish Language school for a week in Madrid. If you have a lot of time at the end, there are always things to do and see in a new country. Try to remain flexible and open to possibilities that may come your way.

My wife and I are retired and have all the time in the world. I like having an alternate experience after the Camino ( or after segments of a Camino - our only straight through was Pamplona to SdC in 2013). So we have added urban stays in Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Seville, and Porto after our walks. Whether you wish to do so depends on your budget and whether you have already seen many of these magnificent European cities.

You mentioned being away from your teenage daughter. Is there anyway she could get to Spain and finish with you? Or go on any post-Camino touring? Depends on her age and interests, of course.

Good luck. Keep mulling things over.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You mentioned being away from your teenage daughter. Is there anyway she could get to Spain and finish with you? Or go on any post-Camino touring? Depends on her age and interests, of course.
Having her and my wife join me at the end is something I've considered. And am still considering. However my gut is telling me to be careful with that - I may not be the greatest travel companion after finishing, and may not be able to switch into tourist mode sufficiently. But I haven't yet ruled it out.

My wife and I did 48 days last autumn from SJPdP to Finisterre. We took tourist days in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Sarria, and Santiago. That gave us lots of time to enjoy each community we stopped in, to visit churches and castles, and to relax. Between us we only had one blister, and very much felt the pace kept us healthy and at peace.

I would take loads of pictures.

I would download them properly asap to cherish always.

I would spend at least two nights in: Burgos, León, and Ponferrada.

I would spend two nights with Benedictine Monks at their monastery in Rabanal Del Camino: monteirago.org.

I would continue pilgrimage by walking to Muxia and Fisterra after arriving in Santiago.

I would take Samos alternative upon leaving Triacastela. After evening service ask monks if you may attend their private vespers. Nice.

I would keep options open as much as possible. Camino is full of surprises.

Um! Looking at this you may need more time.

Buen camino whatever you decide.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As one who once took 45 days to the CF including rest days, I would also recommend extra days at SJPDP, Burgos, and Leon definitely. One could check into seeing the dig sites of neolithic man at Atapuerca, (one day ahead of Burgos). Spending extra days at Santiago is essential for a first Camino. It helps really seeing it to understand why you did the walk in the first place! I didn't follow Brierley's stages exactly and found some wonderful accommodations and places of human interest, besides some great companionship along the way, when I stayed at some of these intermediate places. Use your guidebook to really explore what's there in front of you, rather than adding more stages along other trails this time around.
If you decide to go alone this time, you could always do other routes at another time, and I would recommend a second camino to perhaps do the Camino Portuguese route, starting from, say, Porto, and marrying that route with the route out to Finsterre/Muxia, or do some of the Camino cities in France. ALL of the start cities in France< Vezelay, Paris, Tours, Orleans, Le-Puy-en-Velay, etc> are interesting and worth some time, in addition to many intermediate towns like Nevers, Cahors, Rocamadour. One could easily find over a year's worth of great trails in France, and one could do just about the same in Spain. And if you do decide to return for another different Camino, that should be the time to take your spouse and daughter along. You will have learned the ropes and would feel more confident having them along on a return trip even if using a different route.
Whatever you decide -- it's YOUR camino-- buen camino to you! I know that no matter what you should choose, you are going to have a worthwhile experience!

Walk with ease, enjoy the sites and side trips and hang out in Finnesterra and Muxia at the end. I took 6 weeks (42 days) and still get a bit hurried at times.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Go with the flow. Let your surroundings inspire. You may meet some person or people and decide to hang out for an extra day. I find it better to take your time initially so as to allow your body to acclimatize to walking long distances - so early on I would take rest days as needed snf this approach will help prevent injury. You might find yourself sore and stiff and in need of a rest day. You may decide not to walk in a rain downpour day and convert it to a rest and contemplate day. Some pilgrims that I met would only walk very short distances every day allowing them to stretch their walking adventure into a 40 to 45 day affair. Having said that, in my opinion, all of the bigger cities and some places that are worth a second or third day: Saint-Jean Pied de Port, Pamplona, Logrono, Belorado, Burgos, Fromista, Molinaseca, O Cebreiro, Sarria, Portomarin, Santiago de Compostela.

My walk took me 45 days with no days off, but a few 10km days. I walked SJPDP to Santiago in 39, then took another 6 for Santiago to Fistera to Muxia. Then I bussed back to Santiago for my flight.

That's almost exactly what I did when I walked my first Camino in 2018. Although, it was the heat and shin splint injuries that slowed me down to a more leisurely place. I was able to take some "zero days" in Pamplona, Burgos, León, Santiago and Fisterra. I probably should have stopped longer at Burgos, because shin splints were starting to get severe by then. I managed to hobble on to León, where I took 3 days rest and fixed the shin splint problem for good 😊
By going slowly, my daily distance was 21km, it also enabled me to get to meet people, especially locals and other pilgrims. I speak Spanish fluently and I live in Madrid, so that makes things easier.
Hopefully, you won't suffer any injuries, so you can make your own decisions about pace and distance to suit how you feel on any given day.
In some of the bigger towns there are some tourist attractions that might interest you. In many Camino rural villages there are surprising gems to be found, where you stop and enjoy for a few hours if you are not having to stick to a tight schedule. The "casa de silencio" in Castrojeriz is one such gem that I missed on my first Camino, but later spent regular visits there while working as a volunteer at Albergue Orion in Castrojeriz.
As well as any pointers you can find here, you will no doubt discover some diversions to try yourself - there are several "alternative/complementary" paths that take you off the more traditional route for a few km, where you might fancy breaking away from the crowd or just exploring a bit.
Whatever you do, it will be rewarding in more ways than one. Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Having her and my wife join me at the end is something I've considered. And am still considering. However my gut is telling me to be careful with that - I may not be the greatest travel companion after finishing, and may not be able to switch into tourist mode sufficiently. But I haven't yet ruled it out.
Everyone’s obviously different, but I had my husband & 2 young adult kids & SO’s join me in San Sebastián for a week of touring Basque areas of France & Spain & wine tastings. Felt fit & energetic & was glad to see everyone after a pretty intense spiritual experience. We all had a great time!

I just took my family on a driving Camino, it was for them to see the places along CF that I had experienced in 2018. They loved it and now my 16 yo son is wanting to do his own Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Definately spend more than a night in pamplona. i dont think you will regret it. A wonderful city.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back