• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If you had a couple of rest days, where would you take them?

crad80

Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Camino Frances (2010 & 2013); Camino Portugues (2011)
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering. If you had a couple of rest days, where would you stop and take them on the Camino? On my last Camino, we walked everyday without taking a rest day. But this time, we've got a few extra days before we have to return to the States. Where are some great places to explore and hang out before returning to the Camino de Santiago. Thanks in advance.

Buen Camino y nos vemos pronto. :D

Crad

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi there,

I've met some people along the way who took a break and bussed up to Gijon on the coast. They really liked the hotels, beaches, restaurants. Even if not Gijon (the Camino Norte goes through by the way), perhaps some other coastal town would be nice. An easy bus back to the CF, and you're on your Way again.

What time of year will you be walking?

Hola Crad,
Leon is one of my favourite places along the way.
Buen Camino
Col

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would also recommend León, lovely city! We also rested in Puente la Reina and Burgos. I would have loved an extra day in Astorga I think. Buen camino!

I rested in Pamplona, which was very worth it. Wish I'd stayed another day so I could've walked the battlements.

I took a day of rest in the town just before Logrono (starts with a V, I forget it's name. Vienna?) in that I stopped early that day instead of pushing into Logrono.

Took a short day getting to Logrono, then spent the remaining 10 or so hours of it wandering around Logrono. Wouldn't necessarily do that again though. Cathedral is cool and all, and some 15 year old kids tried to hit me up for pot, but beyond that, not much of interest. The patriarchal albergue is super cool though.

From there, I'd gotten more used to the pacing and only rested in Burgos, Leon, Astorga, Santiago, and Finisterre because I wanted to see more of those particular towns than the average afternoon stay allows.

Just be prepared that, if you do stay an extra day in a town, be prepared to pay for a hotel room/hostel/whatever because some alberques won't let you stay if they see you've already got a stamp for that town from the night before. But really a hot shower of indeterminate length once or twice on the Camino is worth the 15 - 20 euros IMO.

I wish I'd stopped to see more of Sahagun, Meldive (?), and Ponferrada. Especially Ponferrada, it looked very nice with the river walk and all that, but oh well. Next time, always next time. :D

Hi, we had rest days in Burgos, and Leon, and that was great, but next time I'd like to stay longer in Najera, and Astorga , because we walked straight through it and missed the cathedral, and the pilgrim museum, which is apparently well worth visiting.
Buen camino :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I rested in Pamplona, Santo Domingo de Calzada, Burgos, and Leon. I stopped in the big cities to see the cathedrals and enjoy the restaurants. Santo Domingo was by far my favorite due to the its unique cathedral (with the gallo and gallina inside!) plus some excellent cafes/restaurants, markets and laundry facilities. It also has two Parador chain hotels in old pilgrim hospitals that were 50% off due to the low season (March).

As a retiree living in France none of my caminos has followed any 'set' schedule; happily there has always been endless time to explore as well as walk. Since the future is never certain whatever one's age as a pilgrim it is handy to have a cushion of unplanned time to sit out a storm, recoup from an accident or just catch your breath and let it be. ... Nevertheless one extra trip out of Burgos which many pilgrims enjoy is that to Santo Domingo de Silos. See this forum thread for more info >> el-camino-frances/topic16731.
Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

It really depends on what you want to do. Do you want to be a tourist on your "rest" day and see gorgeous cathedrals and bits of spanish history and culture? or do you want to REST?

I took a short day from Burgos and stopped in Hontanas. As I was sitting there at the one bar in town sipping my beer with some other pilgrims at noon, I realized that a place like Hontanas, a tiny place with no distractions, is where you should stay if you really want to rest. My extra days in the bigger cities ended up being just as tiring on my feet and brain as my full walking days, because i was busy being the tourist.

My next camino may consist of many shorter days, and no full day off.

If i take a tourist day or two, it will be in Leon, for the nice vibe and gorgeous cathedral, and in Pamplona for the food (heh)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you would like to see more, you could also envisage side trips away from the camino, for instance from Leon to Oviedo (San Salvador cathedral) or from somewhere near Santo Domingo de la Calzada to the monastery of San Millan de la Cogolla, which is a UNESCO World Heritage side.
For some true RNR it depends if you are a city or countryside person. I personally enjoyed a rest day in Burgos a lot.

Pamplona - lots to see and do ; great city with reasonably priced accommodation.
Burgos - so much history - You may be able to spend a second night at the Casa del Cubo , just leave your pack in storage there and check back in again in the afternoon.
Leon , some say the Cathedral saved from collapse after 100s of years of restoration is better than that of Burgos.

I am walking my first trip on the Camino this summer. I am planning on NOT walking on Sundays. I am hoping that will help keep blisters and exhaustion in check. Do I need to bring rain wear for Mid June to end of July? :?:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked from St Jean last August, and we took days off in Pamplona and Burgos - only to find that the 'day off' with sightseeing and going around town was at least as tiring as walking. So my next day off was in Rabanal, where I actually got some rest and did nothing but sit in the sun watching life and pilgrims go by. I wish I had stopped in Ponferrada and not just walked through. Leon was too busy for me, I came to prefer the quiet countryside, so instead of taking whole days off I started walking shorter etapas, which gave me time to explore the surroundings a little bit more. I'm sure you'll find your right stops.

Buen Camino,
Linda

Burgos is a great place to visit. My friend's fiancée is from there. There's so many great places on the Camino. It's hard to choose where to take the rest days!!! But I guess that's what makes the Camino so special, and why it's called "The Way." :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm also a fan of Burgos. The town just had an inviting, family atmosphere with plenty to see and experience. Also, if not on too tight of a budget, spending a day at the Parador in Lyon, going through its history and just pampering yourself is a good way for some to recharge.

I would choose small towns with nearby historical gems as those are places where it would be more unlikely that you will get the chance to go back again. Pamplona/Burgos/Leon are undoubtedly amazing places to visit, but it is more likely that at some point in your future you will find yourself within easy access to them.

That's why I love the idea of stopping at Santo Domingo de Calzada and exploring San Millan de Cogolla or Santo Domingo de Silos. Likewise, Samos and Ponferrada-- :D

I dream of the day I have your dilemma! :wink:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back