• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

if you had to choose between...

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Granon and Tosantos, which would you pick to stay at?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Both are so special...hands down I would not miss Grannon, though I know you are going with children and Tosantos had some very special traditions that I think they would not forget AND would not experience anywhere else.
I personally think, especially with kiddos that you can do both...I did :) It was my shortest walk of the trip and might not be justified but I think 100% of us in Tostantos that night had been in Grannon the night before.
I enjoyed the street of Grannon, I stayed in the parochial there BUT was lucky to chat with the owner of the auberge up the street who honestly could have been the welcoming mayor of this little town. I would not trade my Grannon night for anything.
Tostantos had one simple , VERY simple bar...it was probably my most lazy day in that really there was nothing around it (which was fine with me) BUT it did come with a tour of a church on the cliff, a precious meal around ONE table and a meeting up in the attic like structure of sharing stories and wishes etc...
Grannon too had the awesome meal and we all helped! Grannon was overflow when I was there and just kept welcoming the masses (loved this)...we almost sat in eachothers laps as we ate. We too got to go to a church service there AND they opened up a little section filled with religious art and stuff. We sang for our meal , I don't want to share too much as not knowing is fun :)

I might not have helped you much here BUT have done the full Frances and pretty much planning, like you, to do it with kiddos SO have revisited my trip in mind with that as consideration.

Buen Camino!
Neve

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
OK, both it is. I'll make sure it happens. Trying not to plan stopping places, but I'd been reading such nice things about both.....

I love Tosantos because they take you up to the Hermitage and let you see what's inside :)
But it would be a difficult decision.

I stayed at Granon in the summer and it was very very special. If you haven't stayed there, it's a place to stay at and with a surprise late on. Lots of pilgrims in the albergue were talking about staying at Tosantos the next day so I thought I would too, but found the distance too short to stop and ended the day in Villafranca instead.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
One of the many charms of the parochial albergue in Granon is that it is open EVERYDAY of the year; I have happily stayed and blogged about it nine times!
Tosantos, however, is closed from November to April.

The Forum Camino-Frances list of albergues cites further comments regarding Granon and Tosantos.

Margaret Meredith

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I would and have stayed at both. No matter that you will end up with a slightly shorter day. Both offer what I call the real Pilgrim experience! Anne

I have stayed at both, twice. Both are wonderful but I felt like a better knowledge of Spanish would have helped me enjoy Tosantos more.

If you must choose only one, I think Granon would always be a very clear, specific memory for your kids.

(Before you get quite that far, take time to see the chickens inside the church. That's another unique memory.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back