• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If You Had Two Weeks?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
There might me a chance that I can go walking for 2 weeks at the end of November / start of December... if it were you where would you walk? And why? Please ☺

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In 2017 I had 2 weeks leave so I headed to Portugal and enjoyed a stroll from porto to Santiago. Felt like a "full camino", with plenty of time to explore Porto beforehand and Santiago after. Food was amazing and the walk was easy - only one hill, so it shouldn't be terribly cold in December.

Another 2 week option is the Primitivo, but not sure how weather plays that time of the year.

In 2017 I had 2 weeks leave so I headed to Portugal and enjoyed a stroll from porto to Santiago. Felt like a "full camino", with plenty of time to explore Porto beforehand and Santiago after. Food was amazing and the walk was easy - only one hill, so it shouldn't be terribly cold in December.

Another 2 week option is the Primitivo, but not sure how weather plays that time of the year.

Thanks... it’s def. one of my choices... I walked the coastal previously so could try the central route 😁👣?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Sanabres then on to Santiago. I walk fairly long daily stages and would probably start at Zamora for a two week walk. If you are looking for shorter daily stages then perhaps start from A Gudina. A stop on the Madrid-Santiago railway. Very varied country. Some decent hills. Ourense is an interesting town and the hot springs are a great preparation for the final 100km to Santiago. Far fewer walkers than the Frances or Portugues - though whether you consider that an advantage or disadvantage is up to you :cool:

Last edited:
@Bradypus I've never thought of just re-doing the sanabres but it is a fabulous walk and I never really got to spend much time in Ourense. One to consider!

There might me a chance that I can go walking for 2 weeks at the end of November / start of December... if it were you where would you walk? And why? Please ☺

LesBrass, how about the Madrid or the Vasco the Vasco. Considering you are walking during potential snow season, the Madrid might be the better choice. There also appears to be that newer coastal route.

Ultreya,
Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Invierno. My favorite so far.
And train connections towards or from Santiago are easy. Nine days to 2 weeks will do it, so if you're faster you can start from Astorga instead of Ponferrada, for a few days on the Frances...or...for the adventurious, there is the loop from Ponferrada up into the Valley of Silence that @peregrina2000 speaks so glowingly about.

We walked for 12 days in Jan this year - Portugues Coastal + Espiritual.
Was a blast! Expected much worse weather and colder albergues but it turned out all tight: mild temperatures in mid Jan there, from +3 to +13C, some rain ranging from drizzle to one day of downpour. Rest of the time - glorious sunshine! Well, some cloudy sky but that didn't spoil it. All the municipal albergues are open, also some private as well, so no trouble finding accommodation. And pensions if you fancy some privacy. Previously I walked in Portugal in different seasons: did Portugues Central from Porto in Apr-May, Portugues Interior from Viseu in June, Portugues Central between Lisbon and Porto in late Oct. Every one of them was amazing! Now this winter Camino proved that Portugal is an all-year destination, so you could go there to walk any time, even without planning!
I was so amazed there in January to see all the different flowers in bloom: https://anna-camino.livejournal.com/5063.html An amazing mix of spring, summer and autumnal flowers all in one go!
Ah, you can glimpse the weather on the pics there as well.
All written above would suit the Central way as well, it's usually busier then the Coastal. We met some people walking from Lisbon in Jan, so the infrastructure is available there. I truly enjoyed exploring the towns on the way there: Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, Valenca.
If you haven't walked the Espiritual then make yourself a present! :) We walked 3 days there instead of taking the boat as in winter is not a budget option. This last day on the Espiritual from Vila Nova de Arousa to Pontecesures turned out my fav! Here it is for you: https://anna-camino.livejournal.com/7768.html
Bom Caminho! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
LesBrass, how about the Madrid or the Vasco the Vasco. Considering you are walking during potential snow season, the Madrid might be the better choice. There also appears to be that newer coastal route.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thanks Joe.... we were meant to walk Madrid /San Salvador this year but we had to change plans and walked the Primitivo instead... My husband still wants to walk this route though so I should save this one for when he's able to come too. I'm watching Sara D's vlogs at the moment and it's giving me such itchy feet! ☺

We walked for 12 days in Jan this year - Portugues Coastal + Espiritual.
Was a blast! Expected much worse weather and colder albergues but it turned out all tight: mild temperatures in mid Jan there, from +3 to +13C, some rain ranging from drizzle to one day of downpour. Rest of the time - glorious sunshine! Well, some cloudy sky but that didn't spoil it. All the municipal albergues are open, also some private as well, so no trouble finding accommodation. And pensions if you fancy some privacy. Previously I walked in Portugal in different seasons: did Portugues Central from Porto in Apr-May, Portugues Interior from Viseu in June, Portugues Central between Lisbon and Porto in late Oct. Every one of them was amazing! Now this winter Camino proved that Portugal is an all-year destination, so you could go there to walk any time, even without planning!
I was so amazed there in January to see all the different flowers in bloom: https://anna-camino.livejournal.com/5063.html An amazing mix of spring, summer and autumnal flowers all in one go!
Ah, you can glimpse the weather on the pics there as well.
All written above would suit the Central way as well, it's usually busier then the Coastal. We met some people walking from Lisbon in Jan, so the infrastructure is available there. I truly enjoyed exploring the towns on the way there: Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, Valenca.
If you haven't walked the Espiritual then make yourself a present! :) We walked 3 days there instead of taking the boat as in winter is not a budget option. This last day on the Espiritual from Vila Nova de Arousa to Pontecesures turned out my fav! Here it is for you: https://anna-camino.livejournal.com/7768.html
Bom Caminho! :)

This is a strong contender at the moment... it does work very well with timings and I could walk the central route as Iv'e already walked the Coastal/Litteral... food for thought! thanks

Invierno. My favorite so far.
And train connections towards or from Santiago are easy. Nine days to 2 weeks will do it, so if you're faster you can start from Astorga instead of Ponferrada, for a few days on the Frances...or...for the adventurious, there is the loop from Ponferrada up into the Valley of Silence that @peregrina2000 speaks so glowingly about.

Thanks to you I have big plans for the Inveirno next year... it's all a little up in the air but I might walk Le Puy to Santiago and take the Inveirno instead of the CF... and hubby can join me for the last 2 weeks which will be perfect... so next year of the year after but def. one I want to walk now!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So many great suggestions! I wish I was braver and could walk alone for two weeks but I'm just not :( I think the Portuguese will be a good choice for me... timewise, flights and numbers. I don't need a walking partner, I'm ok walking alone during the day but I do like to see a few familiar faces and it's good to have a couple of other pilgrims around in the evening... Even in November/December I think there will be a few others on the Portuguese trail?

I must work on my courage... maybe I need to visit the Wizard of Oz! But in the meantime... the Portuguese sounds like a good fit. But oh there are so many fabulous walks to choose from! 🚶‍♀️:cool:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@LesBrass I was nervous about walking alone.....until I did it. The anticipation was worse than the reality. Actually I loved it. That said, I ended up spending only one night alone - I even wished for fewer pilgrims although I lived the time spent with the ones I met!
Maybe in the future you might try a short solo walk just to fill up your courage tank!!

@LesBrass I was nervous about walking alone.....until I did it. The anticipation was worse than the reality. Actually I loved it. That said, I ended up spending only one night alone - I even wished for fewer pilgrims although I lived the time spent with the ones I met!
Maybe in the future you might try a short solo walk just to fill up your courage tank!!

I think this is a good idea... I hate this feeling of fear. It has got worse in recent years and anxiety is a side-effect of medication I take... but nonetheless I hate the feeling. There are so many paths I want to walk. Starting small is a good idea... I am resolved to do this!

I'm going to volunteer at the local doggie charity because fear of dogs is one of the things that bothers me... if I can tackle my fears one my one then I think I'll be off!

thank you ❤

Porto up to santiago. Costal. Very very safe. You will enjoy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That was in the list... Still actually not ruled out totally... But the courage thing is my downfall 🙄🤔

The Mozarabe is also a good choice. That said, I would start in Almeria and walk to Cordoba. The local association in Almeria is very supportive of all Peregrino's and the weather will probably be the most temperate this time of year.

Ultreya,
Joe

I would agree - I have walked the Primitivo in july but it is very high in places and would be difficult in winter, this route sounds perfect for the time of year

Thanks folks for the ideas... I decided Portugal! Mainly because I got a flight for 12€... that just made the choice easier. And my husband will come and join me in Porto at the end for a weekend of sight-seeing so that's another bonus.

All of my planning this year has been pointless so I'm not saying for sure that I am walking the Portuguese (Central) camino but... if all goes well... I should arrive at the albergue in Porto on the 23 November... and I might even try to take the Variente.

I purchased a very nice pre-loved 30L osprey to ensure I keep the pack weight down... and I have ordered my Porto/Portuguese credential already!

Now... shoes... :( :eek:😂

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you want to a Camino and don't mind the possibility of miserable weather then the Camino Primitivo would be perfect. If you want something a little warmer then Camino Mozarabe from Malaga in 14 days will just about get you to Cordoba or Via de La Plata will get you to Caceres in 11 or 12 days.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back