A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

if you have to cheat...

Advertisment

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
4 week camino

I would suggest not deciding before hand on where to get transport.
I loved the meseta. (It is roughly the area between Burgos & Leon). It was in those wide open plains that I stopped thinking and just became a part of the landscape.
Depending how good a walker you are you can easily walk from Roncesvalles to Santiago in 28 days. I walked it in 27 days and although some days were a bit of a slog it wasn't unpleasant.
The Lonely Planet Guide has a chapter on walking the camino. The earlier editions recommended a 28 day walking schedule from Roncesvalles. I think it has now been extended to 30.
John Brierley's Guide suggests 33 days from St Jean Pied de Port.
"A Practical Guide for Pilgrims" by Milláno Bravo Lozano suggests 30 days.
Just walk and enjoy but when you find that you are not enjoying or the weather if foul or you have a painful blster and need to do a short day, or there is a long hard slog into a city (like Burgos) get a bus on those stretches.
Buen Camino.

Trudy

Camino(s) past & future
(2006) Roncesvalles to Leon (2007) Leon to Compostela
Or save two days by getting the bus straight from Leon to Astorga. You could also skip the walk from Ages (or thereabouts) into Burgos.

I also loved the meseta, it reminded me of parts of Australia, just needed a few eucalypts and some kangaroos bounding about!

Also I don't consider it cheating to take a bus once in a while. It's a personal choice. This year I'm walking from Lourdes to Pamplona, then Leon to Santiago. My flights are booked, as are hotels in France as I'm having a 'holiday' before I start walking. However, I've just realised that I've only 18 days to walk between Leon and Santiago and, since I'm a slow walker, that's really pushing it. So, I've no doubt that I'll be hopping on a bus somewhere along the way - and with no regrets about doing so.

Trudy

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
B Camino Frances 82
N Camino Frances 9

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.5%