• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If You have Walked the Camino - Do you prefer boots or trail runners?

Boots or trail runners? PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND IF YOU HAVE NOT WALKED THE CAMINO

• Boots

Votes: 135 31.2%
  • Trail runners

Votes: 177 40.9%
  • Walking shoes

Votes: 49 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Sandals

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • Hokas

Votes: 23 5.3%
  • Other hiking shoes

Votes: 18 4.2%
  • Gortex

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
I didn't vote. I don't have a preference. Four years ago I walked the CF (SJPdP to Muxia) in a pair of Keen waterproof boots (with lightweight sneakers for days end). I'm currently 10 days into the Camino Catalan (taking a water break) and this time I've got ventilated walking shoes, Merrill Moabs, and no other shoes. Although they got soaked they dried out. For comfort the boots and shoes seem the same.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have heard of lots of people going from heavier footwear to lighter footwear, but only rarely the other way.
It's not a question I have seen asked here or other places. And even if one didn't change the style of footwear, new technologies are generally bringing weights down.

That said, in 2016 I listened to some of the advice on this forum and walked in Keen Targhee II mid. These did not work well for me, and I have returned to wearing somewhat taller boots with more durable soles. I have yet to decide what I will wear on the Augustine Way this December, but they are going to be heavier than the Keens.

Looking at the votes it occurs to me that if Hokas are a type of boot then the figure for 'boots' is 36.7%; much nearer to trail runners than seems at first glance. Similarly' other hiking shoes' and 'walking shoes' combined gives 14.6%. (All as of today's date.)
I thought Gortex was simply a type of lining/fabric rather than a style but maybe I am wrong.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
i used columbia conspiracy outdry hiking trainers ,blister free for the full Canmino the fit si so good for wide feet but did top up my insoles with afew 1 euro ones.
But the weather was amazing ,in wet weather the waterproofing is rubbish ,non existent ,zero (maybe a fault with mine)

I’m astonished you carry 16kg ! Is that an infantry thing too ? I carry about six. I wear off road runners, with really good tread so no slipping.

Believe me, 16 kgs is a light infantry pack as Davey I'm sure can tell you. Easily carry at least twice that most of the time. I remember guys carrying packs more than half their weight in the field.
On the Camino my pack never weighs more than 10kgs with water included, and during the summer months probably weighs 7 kgs. I remember carrying extra ammunition that alone weighed more than that in the infantry lol.

Looking at the votes it occurs to me that if Hokas are a type of boot then the figure for 'boots' is 36.7%; much nearer to trail runners than seems at first glance. Similarly' other hiking shoes' and 'walking shoes' combined gives 14.6%. (All as of today's date.)
I thought Gortex was simply a type of lining/fabric rather than a style but maybe I am wrong.
Hoka One One are primarily a shoe manufacturer, although they do have a small selection of hiking boots. Including a brand like Hoka does get confusing because they have low (shoes), mid and high top (boots?) in their range.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wore boots only once and regretted it deeply after only 2 days. Fortunately I was carrying light watershoes and ended up using them the rest of the way and every camino since until Keen discontunued them.
I fail to understand the stridency of the reactions about this; we all have opinions and they're all right.
(Oh, and yes, Annie, I did vote. 🙏)

I have walked about 4K in Brooks Cascadia Trail Runners. I am sure you can add at least another 1K in training for 3 pairs of Cascadias. I walked the entire Norte last year in the same pair I will walk the CF starting on October 28th. This will be the first time I will not walk an entire route. I have to start in Pamplona as I have to meet my daughter in Porto on December 3rd. Every day with the kids now is a day you don't want to miss as we get older. I am 65 and need a little extra time. Also I know it may be a little dicey walking in Trail Runners getting to Galicia especially but I hate boots. The Cascadias are really light and really durable. I have them one size larger and wider and they feel great.

I’ve been using my Cascadias on the Le Puy route and also my Tevas. Last year I wore my Sportiva mid boots for 3 days and got blisters then switched to Tevas for the rest of the time (7 more days) and had no foot trouble, but went slowly down the steep rocky descents and used poles. This year I left the Sportivas at home. I’ll be taking the same Cascadia and Teva combination next summer too.

However, I did slip and twist my ankles this year (wet leaves on stones, chatting and hadn’t bothered getting poles out 😢) so you do need to pay attention! I wear my leather Meindl memory foam boots for winter hiking in the Alps. I also fell in love with Injinjii toe socks this year, first time ever I’ve never had a single blister.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Chaco sandals...used boots for about 100km and ended up with blisters and tired feet. Switched over to my chacos and did 700km on my first camino. My second was Porto to Santiago and I only had my chacos. Doing Norte next year...may start out with a trail runner, however, I’ll probably use chacos the majority of km...

Definitely boots. I feel more save with half high boots because I have weak ankels. Even on the Camino Portugues Senda Litoral which is morely flat. But it would be interesting to split it out in ages. I'm 68, live in a flat country.

Keen sandals, Camino and at home. Keen shoes when I want a closed shoe. Tried on boots before my first Camino and my feet would not tolerate them; they are happiest with no shoes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Merrel moab every time, gortex for wet weather and ventilators for the heat.. I have merrel boots but the shoes are far more comfortable.

This really depends on where you start.

I'd go with trail runners if you start in Sarria. There's really no need for the extra weight or durability of hiking shoes from there.

I walked the VdlP & Sanabres in Altra Lone Peaks... They happily lasted over 1000km 😊

I guess to bee valid giving an answer, oneselves should have tried everything from sandals to hikingboots.....and everything in between....cause one recipe with sucess does n o t mean it’s the best one....it’s just the one alternative of many that worked for you at the time..

One thing fishing for guidance is letting people in on your level of experience and ability....without beeing in the know of YOU....all our answers is merely of a almost philosophical nature and totally subjective....just my humble opinion ...

I’ll say one thing though....full days up to your ability for four weeks...two pairs with different inlay soles let you mix it up.....cause monoteny causes stress and your prone to bee subjected to getting more problems than you have to....changing pairs when feeling discomfort in some ways is utterly smart and sensitive to the strain our poor feet endure...

Short days...?...I’ve meet people in flipflops without problems...

Long days...?..my choice is light weight, long distance running shoes with maximum damping. One pair with drop , the other with Zero drop...

Now in december I’ve tried Goretex hiking boots as one pair....but going back in january it’s two max damped ones for sure....

Short days....4-5 hours...whatever your preferred choice really .....long/full days up to 12/14 hours....four weeks....two pairs....definately two pairs...

And yes ...I’m also one of the blessed “sandal-people”....what a saviour that was at the timeAB537227-2032-4751-AC59-3CD855FFFDB6.jpeg

Attachments

• 87F02A58-EB22-4A40-8538-CB8213E74DFF.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 3
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My favorit is Fivefingers. Always. Whereever I am - Whatever I do. I have fivefingers for everything also the Camino. They are light weight, easy dry, very flexible on difficult paths e.c.
My first Camino (2014) I wore Solomon boots. They were OK, but heavy and dry slowly in bad weather, and they are not flexible on difficult paths. Coming home from that pilgrimage I started walking in fivefingers, and training to get used to them I found my feet and legs getting stronger.

My favorit is Fivefingers. Always. Whereever I am - Whatever I do. I have fivefingers for everything also the Camino. They are light weight, easy dry, very flexible on difficult paths e.c.
My first Camino (2014) I wore Solomon boots. They were OK, but heavy and dry slowly in bad weather, and they are not flexible on difficult paths. Coming home from that pilgrimage I started walking in fivefingers, and training to get used to them I found my feet and legs getting stronger.
For me too, fivefingers are the best.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wore boots for my first Camino. My second and third Caminos were in New Balance trail runners which were perfect. A lot lighter than the boots and my feet felt better at the end of the day. No blisters or sore feet.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Walking late autumn/winter I carried simple sandals for relaxing and wore Gore-tex lined hiking boots from Decathlon . Each pair easily lasted 2 caminos walking from SJPdP to Santiago plus either out to Finisterre/Muxia or down to the Portuguese border at Valenca do Mino. Thus the boots easily covered 2000 km before the sole showed wear.... Best of all I never had a blister.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.