• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If You Only Had Time To Spend In One City: Porto vs. Lisbon

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

It stinks, but given time constraints prior to starting our first day of walking the Camino Portuguese, Jill and I do not have time to do a quality visit to both Porto and Lisbon. Since Porto is our starting location, it is more convenient and time expedient to spend the time there, but I value the input of those who know both cities.

Adjusting schedules is not a viable option, based on post-Camino plans and itinerary. That means that it is an 'either/ or' situation for this trip. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've never been to Lisbon, but Porto is definitely worth visiting, as well as being convenient for you. When are you going?

Both are wonderful places but I would vote for Porto. I have been to Lisbon several times and there is lots to see. Porto is more compact, walkable and lots to see. I walked the CF for a few days with Paulo from Porto and he described the city as a beautiful woman with a wart on her nose. After being there I knew what he meant.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The train station closest to the cathedral (can't remember the name) has beautiful tiles inside on one wall. Also inside the women's toilet was light and full of plants. I went to the smallest bookstore as well. I just enjoyed walking around, over the bridge and back and the riberra (spelling might be wrong)

Definitely Porto. I highly suggest you stay in the Ribeira area close to the river. From there you can walk to all the sights and enjoy the festive nature of the river. You can find a reasonably priced apartment on the river on both booking.com and airbnb. If you do port tasting I highly recommend making a reservation at Touriga, a small wine store. You will have higher quality port from different vineyards than in the large, touristy tours.

Tough choice @davebugg. For starters, if you haven’t already seen them, look at @koilife ’s recent posts about Lisbon for some ideas about what you can do there. Here and here

I agree with everyone who loves Porto, it is a beautiful city — my avatar is taken from what I think is one of the most beautiful views anywhere — from the park at the top of the port lodge city Gaia, looking back over the river to Porto. It was taken when I walked in from Sao Joao da Madeira and after a long slog on concrete, it was a most welcome sight!

Porto has more of the “grit” and less of the “tourist-landia” than Lisbon. My first visit to Lisbon was in 1989, and I’d say that at that time, Lisbon had a lot of what Porto now has. Back then, though, it wasn’t so trendy to be gritty.

Lisbon, IMO, has a lot more to see and do, but if you are only going to be there a few days, and if the traveling is easier, I would definitely start with a visit to Porto. The riverfront is very pretty, a walk over to Gaia to visit port lodges is fun (with an obligatory climb up to the park Jardim do Morro for that gorgeous view). You can walk across the bridge on the upper level (which goes more or less from near the cathedral to close to the park) or on the lower level, from the riverfront of Porto to the riverfront of Gaia.

Porto’s other main sights are the cathedral, the Livraria Lello of Harry Potter fame, a nice modern art gallery with very nice gardens, the old stock exchange, a few churches, the train station and its unbelievable tiles, but really, IMO, the best thing to do in Porto is walk, which you presumably enjoy a lot. :)

I think Lisbon needs at least 4-5 days to scratch the surface and Porto much less, so that might also tip the scale in favor of Porto. Bom caminho!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I too will cast my vote for Porto. I have been to each one a few times and really enjoy them both though I do think I like Porto just a little more. The main factor is it is more convenient for you this trip.

Best of luck with your decision but I hope you know there is no wrong answer here.

Mike

I’m with the crowd, Dave. Porto is a wonderful city to visit, and seemed to me to be more accessible than Lisbon. Lovely down along the river where there are often markets with great linen and cork products.

We have spent time in both cities and for what it’s worth, our pick is Porto every time. Lisbon has some interesting things to see but on the whole is a far seedier town, with a very obvious drug and homelessness facet to it. Porto is a World Heritage city, far more cultured than Lisbon and with far more things to see and do. Even the main shopping district is far more stylish, historic and interesting. There is also more good priced and high delivering accomodation to choose from. If you haven’t booked accommodation yet, I can highly recommend Jualis Guest House near the main train station. The included Portuguese breakfast was huge and set in their rear garden area and the staff were all lovely. Good luck planning :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wow, I feel like I need to come in here and defend Lisbon!

As others have said, Porto makes the most sense for @davebugg given his specific situation.

But I'm a bit surprised this is such a landslide. I live in Lisbon by choice so I have obvious biases, although I do like Porto as well. As usual, I agree with @peregrina2000 that Lisbon has more to see and do (as the larger of the two cities and capital of Portugal since 1255, this is understandable) and completely agree on the grittiness scale. Porto has a bit of a Marseille/Palermo/Naples feel to it (all of which I love), and while there's still some of that left in Lisbon, the historical neighbourhoods are becoming more and more gentrified.

A very quick and possibly not very well conceived comparison between the two cities (IMO, of course!):

What they both have: beautiful and colorful buildings, hills, azulejos, alleyways that are perfect for wandering, great food and drinks scene, old trams (though better in Lisbon!), interesting churches, old Europe vibe.

What Lisbon has that Porto doesn't: Age of Discovery sites (Belém), a castle, more lookouts/viewpoints, home of fado, more 'national' stuff as the capital (e.g. national tile museum), more architectural/planning diversity (e.g. medieval lanes of Alfama, elegant streets of Chiado, 18th-century post-earthquake grid planning of the Baixa).

What Porto has that Lisbon doesn't: a better river scene (better riverside bars/restaurants, more accessible boat trips etc), more accessible vineyard/wine tourism, a bit more grit.

Here are some of my photos of Porto and Lisbon on Flickr for anyone interested.

Anyway Dave, I'm sure you'll love Portugal no matter what!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I love Lisbon - there is lots to see, so much history and I keep telling people how great a city it is to visit! However, given that you are actually starting from Porto it may make more sense to spend sometime there. I prefer Lisboa over Porto but I still enjoyed Porto!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have been to Lisbon and Porto. I just spent a week in Porto with my daughter after I finished my last Camino in December. We had a great time there. There was plenty to do for us. We loved just walking around the city. I forgot which museum we went to but there was a fantastic National Geographic exhibit. Took a day trip to Braga and had a good time there also. We thought about going to Coimbra also. One of the great advantages of Portugal. Both beautiful cities about an hour or so by train.
One other thing we both really liked was it was Christmas season. There were lots of great street lights all over the city. What was really interesting and refreshing was that if you excluded the lights there was absolutely no crass commercialization of the Christmas season. Even passing department store windows you either saw understated Christmas decorations or really none at all. We arrived about December 6 so I do not think it was too early but I can't be sure of that.
Both wonderful cities although I have heard from a friend that Lisbon has become overwhelmed with tourists lately. I just read that for every one resident there are 9 tourists. I am sure that ranks up, ratio wise with places like Barcelona and New York.

Lisbon, is my most favourite City in Europe. With a little preparation, there is so much to see and do and you can avoid the crowds easily.

Museu Calouste Gulbenkian arrive early and you can have it to yourself for an hour.

Having spent time in both cities, Lisbon wins every time...

You will have a good trip wherever you decide.

€60,-
I agree entirely with the people who suggest Porto is far more preferable given time constraints.
Walking out along the coast means that you get time to see the surfers and there are some lovely beach side bars.
10km from porto you come across the boardwalk which takes you long the beach highly reccomeended.

Porto has a history, mostly centered around port and madeira wines, as well as being ruled by Catholic Bishops for much of its history. Tour guide in Porto suggested that Porto is the oldest officially designated wine region in the world ( my French friends vehemently dispute this), and Portonians have never been subject to foreign rule (another interesting claim). What is true today is that Porto is overrun with college students who are there to party, and the city suffers, IMO, from having recently been discovered by some large US travel agents. I spent 1 1/2 days in Porto on my 2018 CF, and saw most of the sites of interest to me.

In contrast, I spent nearly four days in Lisboa and it wasn’t enough to see all the stuff of historical and cultural interest - castello, fado museo, tile museo, Sentra Palace, Belem Tower, Vasco da Gama tomb (and the monastery housing same), etc...

In both cities, accommodations at small hotels in historic areas provided immediate access to transit that worked well for getting around.

As an aside, the university at Coimbra has one of the oldest libraries in Europe, which was not open to the public when I was there, but the city itself is also high on my list of places to visit in Portugal. Great food and music scene.

Having abused the “gentle reader’s” eyes too long, in your situation I’d opt for Porto.

Bom Caminho.

Years ago when I was an international banker, I made numerous business trips to Lisboa. My correspondent bank colleagues from Banco Portuguese do Atlantico shared with me aspects of the city tourists typically would not see. Owing to those personal relationships, Lisboa has a claim to my heart. I was last there in 2016, and the city continues to delight. Porto also has its allure, as does a small town called Guimares, 50 km east.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It stinks, but given time constraints prior to starting our first day of walking the Camino Portuguese, Jill and I do not have time to do a quality visit to both Porto and Lisbon. Since Porto is our starting location, it is more convenient and time expedient to spend the time there, but I value the input of those who know both cities.

Adjusting schedules is not a viable option, based on post-Camino plans and itinerary. That means that it is an 'either/ or' situation for this trip. :)

Lisbon is one of my most favorite cities of all, ever. Lived there for awhile and would love to go back. But, with your time constraints, I would agree with all who say Porto. Much to see and do.
Missing Lisbon this time is a marvelous excuse to return to 🇵🇹 Portugal!!!

We were just in the Lisbon area for four nights and I wish we could've been there longer! If you only have a day or two, I agree with everyone else; Porto is small and there is a LOT to do there and it's so beautiful. If you can, walk across the bridge to Vila Nova de Gaia and take in the view from there. There's also a sky cable car (teleférico) that is cheap and fun on the Gaia side. There's also now a - wait for it - Steak n Shake in Porto!! :)

I've only been to Porto and stumble into it for the Festa de São João do Porto which was madness and fun times. I do recommend Porto.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

From a Pacific NW friend. We spent 5 days in Porto in October after rewalking the Meseta. 2017, 2019. The food, tiles, architecture are fabulous, and did I mention the food? We took the metro to Matosinhos for the day and the ocean is magnificent. We saw many pilgrims on their way. Enjoy!

Last edited:
The train station closest to the cathedral (can't remember the name) has beautiful tiles inside on one wall. Also inside the women's toilet was light and full of plants. I went to the smallest bookstore as well. I just enjoyed walking around, over the bridge and back and the riberra (spelling might be wrong)
I believe you are referring to the Sao Bento Train Station, and you are right, the tiles are something else! The Passenger Hostel is just inside the train station and was superb! Triple decker bunks that were very private, complete with lights and small fans. Bathroom was great, and the meal in the morning was generous and diverse to suit any palate. Wish now that I had attended the dinner at 9pm, but that was just too late for me. The dining area is flanked on one side by suspended day beds, sofas, game tables, etc. Great vibe!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My memory is failing me in my old age, it was Sao Bento station that I meant. Since I stayed near there, I went almost every day into the station to stare at the tiles.

Sounds like I should continue as planned to start in Lisbon ( a day or two) in September but plan a major rest day or two in Porto, also. The best of both possible worlds :)
I am already planning 3.5 days in Lisbon before starting, and I haven't done more than scratch the surface of what is there.

I know both cities well and I would say Porto, hands down. The parks, the Arts district, the architecture, the people, fantastic!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Lisbon, no question.

Lisbon, no question.

Excellent! I also like Lisbon, but why, in the OP's situation of commencing his camino in Porto, you would recommend that he rather spend a day in Lisbon rather than Porto?

One reason I ask is because I shall be in Lisbon (again) for a day, in two weeks time, and I want to be sure of making the most of my time there.

Good luck with making Lisbon merely a day. After planning for four days, I still feel like I'm running a 50 meter sprint. :) (or in the case of Lisbon's hills, my analogy is probably better as the 100 meter hurdles)

Moreover, I'm still negotiating with my son for a couple of long distance days so we can spend a second day exploring Porto when we get there.

Last edited:

I spent 3 weeks in Portugal last summer at the end of my Camino. (I walked the Frances and then took a bus or train to Porto). I liked both cities a lot as well as other locations in Portugal. Given that Porto is easier for you, I would stay there. It's a nice city, small enough to be easily walkable in the core. I was there in July and there were a LOT of tourists EVERYwhere and I still liked the city a lot. Great restaurants, cheap food, super nice people, welcoming, there were "we love tourists" signs at the coffee shop I went into my first day, v

I spent 3 weeks in Portugal after I walked the Frances last summer and I liked both Porto and Lisbon and went back to each city more than once. Given Porto is easier for you and it's definitely worth seeing, I would stay there. There is GREAT food, nice people, nice views of the water and the bridge. I was there in July and it was super hot and there were hoards of tourists and I still really liked the city. I would love to go back off season.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190724_141203.jpg
    MVIMG_20190724_141203.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20190724_122112.jpg
    IMG_20190724_122112.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
I am grateful to all of you for taking time to answer.

Before Jill and I do our Camino Portuguese from Porto to Santiago, I will be heading to Europe 12 days beforehand. My son, Caleb, and I will be walking Camino Aragones form Somport to Obanos. When we have arrived in Obanos, we will then return to Pamplona for another return visit.

We will fly from Pamplona to Porto (short layover in Madrid) so that we can meet up with Jill at the airport in Porto. The three of us plan to spend a couple of days exploring the city. Then Caleb will fly home, and Jill and I will start the CP.

We did not want to rush through both Lisbon and Porto with one day visits (plus travel time). It was going to be one or the other :)

My sincere thanks to you all. 👍👍👍

. I was there in July and it was super hot and there were hoards of tourists and I still really liked the city. I would love to go back off season.

We will arrive there sometime on October 1; then start walking on the CP October 4. :)

Before Jill and I do our Camino Portuguese from Porto to Santiago, I will be heading to Europe 12 days beforehand. My son, Caleb, and I will be walking Camino Aragones form Somport to Obanos. When we have arrived in Obanos, we will then return to Pamplona for another return visit.

We will fly from Pamplona to Porto (short layover in Madrid) so that we can meet up with Jill at the airport in Porto. The three of us plan to spend a couple of days exploring the city. Then Caleb will fly home, and Jill and I will start the CP.

We did not want to rush through both Lisbon and Porto with one day visits (plus travel time). It was going to be one or the other :)

Sounds like a great trip! Enjoy.

We spent 3 full days in each city. Definitely prefer Porto but maybe more to see and do in Lisbon surrounding area.

Excellent! I also like Lisbon, but why, in the OP's situation of commencing his camino in Porto, you would recommend that he rather spend a day in Lisbon rather than Porto?

One reason I ask is because I shall be in Lisbon (again) for a day, in two weeks time, and I want to be sure of making the most of my time there.

I guess I should qualify that I am referring to the city itself. As for walking the actual caminho, I would recommend starting in Porto as opposed to Lisbon. That said....

I think Porto is a bit too touristic for my taste. I loved walking out of town along the river to the coast, but the main tourist areas are a bit much for me. To me, Lisbon is very special. Beautiful hills, architecture, and its near a beautiful rocky coastline and the westernmost point in Europe, and an infinite number of great restaurants and bars, not to mention the gorgeous night views of Lisbon from the high points of the city. And as the capital of Portugal, more than a few museums to visit, if one is so inclined.

Since the OP is starting his walk in Porto, he’ll have the option, in any event, to spend a little extra time there and can always make up the for the ‘lost’ day of walking along the way afterward, and transportation between Lisbon and Zporto is good, so even on a tight schedule, it is well worth the detour.

A nice problem to have, you won’t be disappointed with Porto. Whatever you do, don’t miss the world’s most wonderful bookshop, the Livraria Lello.

Bom caminho.

Sao Bento is the most beautiful train station. BTW, I would definitely choose Porto, even if Lisbon is beautiful too, but Porto is just amazing

Porto! Because Porto is a smaller city, you can visit it all by feet even on a short stay. For Lisbon it would be nicer if you had extra time so you could take a day out to the nearby towns (Belém, Peniche, Cascais...)

We had a few days each in lisbon and porto before commencing our cp from Porto on 8 October last year. We loved Lisbon, but once we reached Porto it quickly became our new favourite.
You will see in other threads a recommendation to walk from the cathedral along the river, out to the ocean and on to Vila do Conde rather than taking the metro to avoid the urban sprawl (if doing the littoral or coastal route). I’d highly recommend this option, the walk is lovely and there are some fantastic little churches on/just off the route to see along the way as well as the river, the ocean and lots parks. Food is readily available.
We had brilliant weather in Lisbon, Fatima and Porto but prepare for rain as you head north. We really only had one day of really bad rain/wind, but had some showers on the majority of days. Generally the tempretures were great for walking all the way to Santiago.

We had a few days each in lisbon and porto before commencing our cp from Porto on 8 October last year. We loved Lisbon, but once we reached Porto it quickly became our new favourite.
You will see in other threads a recommendation to walk from the cathedral along the river, out to the ocean and on to Vila do Conde rather than taking the metro to avoid the urban sprawl (if doing the littoral or coastal route). I’d highly recommend this option, the walk is lovely and there are some fantastic little churches on/just off the route to see along the way as well as the river, the ocean and lots parks. Food is readily available.
We had brilliant weather in Lisbon, Fatima and Porto but prepare for rain as you head north. We really only had one day of really bad rain/wind, but had some showers on the majority of days. Generally the tempretures were great for walking all the way to Santiago.

Thank you.

The initial thought is the first day or day-and-a half along the Littoral, then head inland to the Central. Last year on the Ingles, we had rain every day. . and loved the Camino. Both times on the Frances were much drier. If CP stays sunny and dry for even part of the time, it will be even more glorious :)

Pooorttooooooo isss soooo amazzziinngggg!!!! :D :D :D :D
So much to see, so much to eat, and so many camino places!

I spent 3 days in Porto before starting my CP and there was still so much to explore!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Having done both ourselves, and we are doing the Coastal route starting 3 June 2020 from Portowhen we are doing 3 nights in Porto, I would suggest Porto this time. Lisbon and its surrounds are fantastic in mid-September and late May. So maybe next time.

Porto!!! Been to Both. Loved them both. But Porto has a magic to it.

Buen Camino.

I'll be there in April to start the CP.

Dave, so far it looks like you'll probably be going to Porto with voting so far 4 to 0.☺
So here's one more for spending time in Porto THIS TIME, as you will be right there. UNLESS, this would be your only opportunity to visit Lisbon. There's an express train that gets you down there. So much history - Belem, Fado, food (pastes de nata, etc...) My bias is showing -- I enjoyed Porto, but Lisbon is one of my most favorite cities in the world.

€60,-
If you choose Porto, I recommend taking one or more of the free walking tours. They are free but the guides live off their tips. You can afterwards go back to places visited to spend more time. I did two walks and both were very informative.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Both are wonderful places but I would vote for Porto. I have been to Lisbon several times and there is lots to see. Porto is more compact, walkable and lots to see. I walked the CF for a few days with Paulo from Porto and he described the city as a beautiful woman with a wart on her nose. After being there I knew what he meant.
what is the "wart" I'm curious as want to do the Portuguese camino at some stage

My vote is Porto.
We started there, then bused back for 3 days before our return home after Santiago. Loved it. Must try the port, and the custard tarts!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would chose Porto in this situation as well. They're both amazing cities. I'd consider Lisboa as another trip. I like the Braga suggestion as I didn't get there!

The OP has been, returned and left the forum some times ago. Still ....

Lisbon!

The OP is / was / starting his walk in Porto, so in his scenario why would you suggest Lisbon?

(I love both cities, just curious why you would choose Lisbon in this situation.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have not been to Lisbon but had already planned to go back to Porto. We loved walking around and soaking up the old city. After staying in the city last time followed by a couple of nights at the beach, we were planning to base ourselves out at the beach area of Matosinhos, and use public transport to get in and around Porto. Mainly because that allowed for long morning and/or evening walks on the beach, and more social distancing before social distancing became a thing! One day, we will return :cool:

Fair point, the logistics swing it in Porto’s favour, but I’ve known Americans travel further for less.

Pulling me to Lisbon for a day would be Fado, Belem, trams and original (although now ubiquitous) pastel de nata.

Both cities have a Port Wine Institute, although the one in Porto is unsurprisingly better situated.

The original pastel de nata at Belem are like no others and delicious beyond telling. I found it necessary to try at least two a day in every place along the Camino Portuguese, just to compare. They were all delicious, but none were as good. Something about the pastry...

Putting aside a comparison with Porto, it is worth visiting Lisbon for those alone, and for the neighbouring Jeronimos Monastery. Exquisite building. Satisfaction and delight for the body and the soul.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I absolutely love Porto - spent the New Year's Eve holiday there with my wife a few years back and it was exceptional.
That said, please allow me to tell my favorite "Salesman Award" story. I had been in Lisbon a few years back on business. I had arrived a couple of hours earlier than my colleagues so decided to walk some of the city hills and eventually sit down in a tavern for a beer. It was a rainy day so I had my travel umbrella out above my head. I spotted a tavern across the street and waited at the intersection for the light to change. As I was doing so, a gentleman on the other side of the street was waiving at me; he was holding a dozen umbrellas in his hands. As I approached him, he said in Portuguese, "Your umbrella seems broken. Let me see it." I put a smile on my face and handed it to him. With intensity, he immediately snapped the umbrella upwards breaking the supporting pieces. He then handed me one of his umbrellas and said - "That will be 5 euro." I laughed, gave him a 5 euro note and bought him a beer.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is the Såo Bento station in the Porto center close to the cathedral

I absolutely love Porto - spent the New Year's Eve holiday there with my wife a few years back and it was exceptional.
That said, please allow me to tell my favorite "Salesman Award" story. I had been in Lisbon a few years back on business. I had arrived a couple of hours earlier than my colleagues so decided to walk some of the city hills and eventually sit down in a tavern for a beer. It was a rainy day so I had my travel umbrella out above my head. I spotted a tavern across the street and waited at the intersection for the light to change. As I was doing so, a gentleman on the other side of the street was waiving at me; he was holding a dozen umbrellas in his hands. As I approached him, he said in Portuguese, "Your umbrella seems broken. Let me see it." I put a smile on my face and handed it to him. With intensity, he immediately snapped the umbrella upwards breaking the supporting pieces. He then handed me one of his umbrellas and said - "That will be 5 euro." I laughed, gave him a 5 euro note and bought him a beer.
1646048593952.png

Lisbon is an interesting place to be. It is the capital of Portugal but as many on this thread I vote for Porto
go to the other side of the river to the building of the Port wine brand Cruz , go inside , take the lift upstairs and oversee the skyline of Porto with a glass of cooled white portwine in your hand. My favorite place.
and order at one of the terraces a sausage that will be grilled on your table in aguardente- 80° proof strong stuff. Do‘nt know the name of it but it tastes great

bom caminho

Last edited:

€46,-
I found a photograph of the grilled sausage, specialty of Porto, chouriço assado

Attachments

• 3CD6C23B-7D70-4FAF-B56C-37DD2B3F8AF5.jpeg
    3CD6C23B-7D70-4FAF-B56C-37DD2B3F8AF5.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1
I would think that if you start your camino in Porto, it must be more relaxing to spend some time looking around the town before you start your camino.
Lisboa is beautiful too, but you should have some more time there to enjoy the city and the capital with all its sights. Better to go back to Lisboa after your camino.
When I travel via Madrid or Bilbao to and from a camino, I enjoy staying a couple of days on my way home for relax and a little luxury. After walking for weeks out on the camino, a walk in the Prado and in the Reina Sophia galleries or the Guggenheim is uplifting as well.

I loved Porto, and it's such a walkable city too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back