• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If you only had two weeks...

Northern Laurie

Time of past OR future Camino
Northern Way (2017)
If you only had two weeks, what stretch would you do and why (on the Frances).

I Walked the Norte a year ago. I can’t stop thinking about going again and would really like the experience of the Frances likely in the fall (September or October). Alas I won’t be able to take substantial amounts of time off, so a two week ish stretch it is. Santiago is not a must

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'd start in St. Jean and walk to Burgos. Burgos is a major city so it's a good place to leave from and also a good place to get back to when want to come back and do the rest. And trust me, you will want to come back. I did that stretch in 11 days, but I'm a fairly fast walker and was on a fairly tight timeline, so two weeks would be perfect. My stages are outlined here if you needed a little more info: https://camino-a-go-go.blogspot.com/

Buen Camino:)

If you only have two weeks I would suggest starting somewhere it will be fast to travel to, eg Pamplona, Burgos, Leon etc, so you dont waste time travelling to the start. I like starting at SJPDP but it does take a long time to get there.
Unless this is stage 1 of a multi stage Camino, in which case start in SJPDP, and come back the following year..

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Northern Laurie:

I like continuity in my walks. Starting in Leon would be my recommendation.

The start from Leon is relatively easy and allows your body to acclimate to long daily walks. You can also arrive in Santiago in less than two weeks. This allows you to spend a day with new friends met along the way.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Ditto on starting in Leon.

No fixed recommendations because it'd depend on your priorities, but here are some considerations:

- If you start early (St Jean, Pamplona) you will make friends who are equally new to it. If you start later (Leon, Astorga) you will be joining social groups of pilgrims that are already established, which may make it harder to make friends.

- There are spectacular places all along the route. It's hard to say any one area is more beautiful or spectacular than another. I love Bierzo region and Cebreiro, but the Pyrenees or the road to Cirauqui are no less impressive in their own way.

- Starting in Leon means the first day and a half of your walk will be the ugliest and most boring of the whole Camino. Better take a bus and skip that bit if you can.

- Weather generally gets colder and wetter, the further west you go.

- The last five days from Sarria is overpriced tourist hell from March to October. Myself, I'd only really want to walk those sections out of season.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If it were me, my first choice would likely be Leon to Santiago, because I prefer to go to Santiago on a Camino, all other things being equal. My second choice would be to start at SJPP or Roncesvalles and walk to Burgos and plan on continuing another year. If neither of those are appealing, my third choice would be to start at Estella and walk to Leon. That gives you a smidgen of Navarre, all of La Rioja, as well as Burgos, Leon, and the Meseta.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I agree with others on Leon to Santiago. This will give you a vatiety of terrain and some good sights along the way. You could start in Leon, see the cathedral, then get a cab or train to Astorgia and start walking there. The walk out of Leon is not all that great, but from Astorgia is fun. Unless your plan is to go back and continue in segments, that is what I would recommend. I found reports of over-commercialization of Sarria to be exaggerated. It is busier but there are more choices of everything, and since you will only have been at it a week the new walkers will make for welcome new friends.

- The last five days from Sarria is overpriced tourist hell from March to October. Myself, I'd only really want to walk those sections out of season.

Oh yes indeed, I remember the culture shock of meeting up with the Frances at Arzua (I think? Or o Pino? It’s all a blur). In particular I remember going into overdrive trying to find a place on the trail that wasn’t overcrowded with pilgrims. I was almost running trying to just get ahead of the next pilgrim, thinking it was just a little knot of people. Did that for too long and then realized that the Camino was just that crowded. I am not that excited to repeat the experience, although one never knows...

I am a pretty solitary walker, but I look for opportunities to observe and meditate in peace. If I had a wish, it would be more open churches and more religious albergues with pilgrim blessings or vesper services etc.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back