• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If you stop at Orisson...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I stayed in Espinal (6.8km passed Roncesvalles) last September at Aurizberri. It was a wonderful, small, clean, and friendly place. I would definitely stay there again.

Mike

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here's another vote for Espinal. I stopped at a private albergue/bar with a fellow peregrina and we were the only ones staying so we had all the facilities to ourselves. great food. Look out for the excellent shop with friendly owner on the way out of Espinal aon the hill on the left-hand side. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I forgot to mention that when I stayed at Espinal last year on 30th March, I had walked from Valcarlos with a break for a sello at Roncesvalles. Beware of the mud! On entering Espinal there was a fountain and a seat, and a makeshift sign for an albergue which directed you to the left and over a very muddy field. I don't know if local youths had been having a bit of fun at the pilgrims' expense, but there was no need to take that route, just follow the road into the village and turn left. There are two private albergue/bars and we arrived at the first one (opposite the petrol station) looking as if we were wearing platform-soled boots because of that muddy field. Stick to the road.

I forgot to mention that when I stayed at Espinal last year on 30th March, I had walked from Valcarlos with a break for a sello at Roncesvalles.

Thanks for the info. I was planning to stay at Valcarlos next year and was wondering if it were possible/practical to go to Espinal the next day.

Yes, it is perfectly possible. I did the Valcarlos-Roncesvalle stage, arrived early in the afternoon, and I could have walked a couple of hours more, easily. It is more hilly than mountain terrain, with nice landscapes, and it is well signposted. Actually, the tougher part was just before Valcarlos; I had to stop to catch my breath a couple of times.
But a lot depends on the weather, so be cautious.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks for the info. I was planning to stay at Valcarlos next year and was wondering if it were possible/practical to go to Espinal the next day.
I did the ValCarlos route in 2013. What I remember the most about it was the steep section, about 5-7 km from Roncesvalles, but other than that pretty easy going. If you are starting from ValCarlos itself you should have no trouble reaching Espinal, especially after taking a break at Roncesvalles. They serve some nice cold beer at the bar at the La Posada hotel.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm so impressed with everyone here who was actually able to make it beyond Roncesvalles. When I stumbled in there, October 2nd, 2015, it had been pouring rain. We were walking in a cloud that was just wringing itself on top of us!

Slowly, slowly down the rocks and mud into Roncesvalles, when I finally saw the gate and walked in, I felt that I had found the magical land of Oz.

Inside, the hospitaleros encouraged everyone to got the dripping raincoats off and hung up fast. Boots came off. We were steaming up the windows, dripping on everything, out came pilgrim passports (people were trying to keep them dry), wet clothes were being stripped off, hair was stuck to our heads.

Could I have gone one step further? I was actually worried about having to do all the pilgrim chores--wash and dry clothes, shower, eat, mass. I did get them done, and slept like a comfortable baby in my bottom bunk.

I'm so impressed with everyone here who was actually able to make it beyond Roncesvalles. When I stumbled in there, October 2nd, 2015, it had been pouring rain. We were walking in a cloud that was just wringing itself on top of us!

Slowly, slowly down the rocks and mud into Roncesvalles, when I finally saw the gate and walked in, I felt that I had found the magical land of Oz.

Inside, the hospitaleros encouraged everyone to got the dripping raincoats off and hung up fast. Boots came off. We were steaming up the windows, dripping on everything, out came pilgrim passports (people were trying to keep them dry), wet clothes were being stripped off, hair was stuck to our heads.

Could I have gone one step further? I was actually worried about having to do all the pilgrim chores--wash and dry clothes, shower, eat, mass. I did get them done, and slept like a comfortable baby in my bottom bunk.
Ugh...
I really dislike walking in the rain. I was so fortunate (knock on wood) that I only had a few (maybe five out of about one hundred) rainy days on the Camino.
Nothing worse than getting all your gear wet, too. I'm like triple redundant (almost OCD) on waterproof bags in my backpack.

The forest descent to Roncesvalles is currently not recommended by the pilgrim bureau in SJPP. The instructions they gave us were very explicit on the matter, including a large "X" on the map. They recommend the Ibañeta route, by the paved road, which is easy and pleasant. Some pilgrims go by the forest anyway, and surely it is more picturesque.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That's great, @Felipe . In October 2015, it was not the case. It is picturesque, but you had better not take your eyes off your feet!

Here's a photo of me finally at Roncesvalles...soaking, dripping wet!

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    900.2 KB · Views: 44
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Can back up Espinal. its easy to walk to after Roncesvalles as not too hilly . And is an option to consider if you stay at Orrison. This does means you will miss pilgrim mass & blessing at Roncesvalles. I have heard people take a taxi back to Roncesvalles for mass . Having experienced the blessing it is special. In Espinal and other small villages there are a few place to stay and my experience at http://www.gronze.com/navarra/espinal/albergue-haizea was very comfortable. There is a loft with beds and bunks & roomy. I found Gronze and Eroski web sites to both be excellent guides .

Last edited:
Burguete is about 3 km from Roncesvalles. I stayed there instead of Roncesvalles in 2014. Cool little town. No albergues, but a couple of nice little hotels/pensiones. I stayed at the one Hemingway used to.
I stayed with two Germans at the place nice private rooms but meals was sparse and breakfast was small piece of toasted bread bought from store was disappointed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back