A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Buy any book, get free camino shell

If you walk through Granada and want to see the Alhambra

Hi, Mozárabe pilgrims,

I remember seeing a post a while back reminding pilgrims on the Mozárabe that it's important to book tickets online ahead of time if you want to visit the Alhambra.

Well, a friend who lives in Valencia has written this about the confusing situation at the Alhambra when you go to pick up your tickets. Her tips will make your wait in line shorter, but it does sound like there is no way to avoid the hoards. Sarria is not the only place in Spain that is overloaded with crowds. Buen camino, Laurie

In regards to the online ticket purchases, the Alhambra itself has designed a VERY confusing system when you "arrive" at the area.

The kiosks to retrieve your pre-paid online tickets cannot be seen from where you arrive.

To confuse matters even more, there are two signs when you arrive at two LINES.

One sign says " reservas por internet" and the other "sin reservas".

And.. to top it off, there is a " guard" there who points to the reservation line and the no reservation line to everyone who approaches him:

NEVER pointing the OPPOSITE direction towards the kiosk building, which is behind the gift shop.

frankly, I had gone 30 minutes earlier to get our tickets and was in the very slow-moving reservation line for 20 until i ventured out to try to find these kiosks I thought I would be retrieving my tickets from:

I finally found them and asked this guard why he didn't show that to people instead of putting us in the line?

He told he was a security guard and it was not even his job to try to clarify the chaos at the arrivals area.

So you may ask what that "reservation "line is for? It is if you want to pick up your tickets at the ticket WINDOW and not use the "hard to find the first time" machines.

Of course I shared my "discovery" with people up and down the line, but only a few dared to go try .. but those who did were very grateful.

I hope the Alhambra puts up some signage about the kiosks soon.. I cannot imagine how long it would take to get your tickets from the window in high season.

So, order your tickets online NOW, and go to the kiosk building behind the gift shop to get them from the machines.

george.g

Camino(s) past & future
French way 10, 11
Norte 12
Vdlp 13
Levante 14
Mozarabe/Malaga 15
Augusta 16
Mozarabe/Almeria 17
Hi Lauri,
I was there a few days ago, lucky the crowd for tickets wasn't too bad.
BUT my walking partners had tickets for 12 o'clock and mine was for 2.30, just collected my ticket and walked right in, no one said anything about my ticket being 2 and a half hours early. I may have been lucky, but I got the idea that so long as you had a ticket, no one enforces the time slot rule.
They did want to see id at the ticket counter as claimed a OAP discount.
The Mozarabe from Almeria has been a bit of a beast at times, but what a Camino!!
Definitely a 10 out of 10.
Regards
George

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
Goodness how things have changed, We were there around June 2003, no waiting, no booking tickets, just showed up and walked straight in. A most beautiful place.

alaskadiver

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
May 2017-Camino Primitivo
2019- Invierno
I was there last May and got my tickets online. I arrived early, stood in line and then went to the window to get the actual ticket. I never saw the kiosks. Waited maybe 30 minutes? Tickets were sold out when we got there and if you didn't have a prepaid ticket you weren't getting in. It's super popular but worth every effort. The walk up to the Alhambra is a longish hike. Steep!

Goodness how things have changed, We were there around June 2003, no waiting, no booking tickets, just showed up and walked straight in. A most beautiful place.
Well, I was there in 1970 if you can believe that. It was just like wandering through wonderland, no barriers around the fountains, no people, no arrows telling you which way to go. It was a weekday in the early fall, there was no one there. We wandered freely for hours, had a picnic on the grounds. I remember there were ripe figs in the gardens that a guard told us to eat. I was back in 1995, and there were definitely more people, but I guess nothing like what I will see in 2018.

It is definitely worth a trip, as the Michelin guides would say, with or without a crowd!

I have just spent a lot of time trying to find the official Alhambra ticket site. FINALLY, I found it and thought I would post it here, since so many of the sites that google takes you to are sites where you buy a guided tour from a private company that includes the entrance ticket.

I think this is the site.

https://tickets.alhambra-patronato.es/en/tickets-alhambra-general/

If I am wrong, let me know. Looks like tickets are available only through January (and some January dates are close to being sold out), so there must be a three month window.

Buen camino, Laurie

Camino(s) past & future
Frances starting SJPdP Sept/Oct 2015, April/May 2017
Gosh was thinking this must be a seasonal issue but sounds like times may have changed. We were there in mid November 2015 with no queues and no problems. There were other visitors walking around but in many rooms and gardens we were by ourselves. Glorious place to visit. I would queue for it but would rather buy tix online.

alaskadiver

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2019- Invierno
I have just spent a lot of time trying to find the official Alhambra ticket site. FINALLY, I found it and thought I would post it here, since so many of the sites that google takes you to are sites where you buy a guided tour from a private company that includes the entrance ticket.

I think this is the site.

https://tickets.alhambra-patronato.es/en/tickets-alhambra-general/

If I am wrong, let me know. Looks like tickets are available only through January (and some January dates are close to being sold out), so there must be a three month window.

Buen camino, Laurie
I purchased our tickets from this site as well. When you get there you stand in the line for the people with the pre-purchased tickets. We got there about an hour prior to our entrance time and glad we did. The line grew fast and long. You need more than 3 hours if you really want to enjoy the visit and see everything. Comfortable shoes are needed. My feet were killing me after walking on that hard surface.

alaskadiver

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2019- Invierno
Gosh was thinking this must be a seasonal issue but sounds like times may have changed. We were there in mid November 2015 with no queues and no problems. There were other visitors walking around but in many rooms and gardens we were by ourselves. Glorious place to visit. I would queue for it but would rather buy tix online.
You will still have to que even with purchased tickets. It's a faster line but they still make you verify at a window before you can walk in.

I purchased our tickets from this site as well. When you get there you stand in the line for the people with the pre-purchased tickets. We got there about an hour prior to our entrance time and glad we did. The line grew fast and long. You need more than 3 hours if you really want to enjoy the visit and see everything. Comfortable shoes are needed. My feet were killing me after walking on that hard surface.
So do you think there is a kiosk somewhere, as the first post in this thread suggests? If it avoids standing in line for an hour or more, I would be very happy.

alaskadiver

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2019- Invierno
So do you think there is a kiosk somewhere, as the first post in this thread suggests? If it avoids standing in line for an hour or more, I would be very happy.
The kiosk wasn't working. I didn't hang around to mess with it. There was only 5 people in line at that point. Spanish is my native tongue so it wasn't a language problem. It just wasn't working that day. I'd say, get there early and try it. If it doesn't work go stand in the line. If it does, then worse case scenario is that you will have to wait around until your entry time. But at least there's a place to eat and drink while you wait.

This was in May 2016, btw.

Last edited:

george.g

Camino(s) past & future
French way 10, 11
Norte 12
Vdlp 13
Levante 14
Mozarabe/Malaga 15
Augusta 16
Mozarabe/Almeria 17
Already posted but worth repeating, when I visited the Alhambra I had a prebooked ticket (took a printout with me,) at the kiosk they wanted to see the bank card that had been used to buy the ticket, plus as I had a "senior" discount, they wanted to see a proof of age.
I arrived two and a half hours before my booked entry time, presented my ticket and got in no problem, could be I was just lucky, in Spain I've often noticed that the application of "rules" can vary from day to day!
Regards
George
PS Note the requirement for the bank card!!

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route. 2018 will be Camino #14.
It's been many years, but we made our reservations online and didn't have any problems getting in.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.6%
  • May

Votes: 188 24.5%