• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If you want to take 4 rest days on the CF, where would you stop?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It depends on your interests and on your walk. By the latter, I mean where the wear and tear of walking every day gets to you and makes a rest and recuperation day advisable. But all that aside and pandering to my own interests, I'd say: Atapuerca (if you can arrange to see the site), Burgos, Leon, Astorga. Another option would be Logrono (if you like wine and tapas). And if you are budgeting extra days, Santiago de Compostela is a good place to budget them as well.

It depends on your interests and on your walk. By the latter, I mean where the wear and tear of walking every day gets to you and makes a rest and recuperation day advisable. But all that aside and pandering to my own interests, I'd say: Atapuerca (if you can arrange to see the site), Burgos, Leon, Astorga. Another option would be Logrono (if you like wine and tapas). And if you are budgeting extra days, Santiago de Compostela is a good place to budget them as well.

Thanks! I'll definitely spend a couple of days in Santiago. Setting unexpected rest days aside, I'm interested in places that have great nature and/or have historical or architectural stuff to see. I love history, so castles, old monasteries, etc are all stuff I like.

Thanks! I'll definitely spend a couple of days in Santiago. Setting unexpected rest days aside, I'm interested in places that have great nature and/or have historical or architectural stuff to see. I love history, so castles, old monasteries, etc are all stuff I like.
Burgos, Leon, and Astorga all have great architecture. Atapuerca is well known for its prehistoric cave art. Ponferrada has the best castle on the CF route. If you can fit that into your day's walk (as we did), I'm not sure that it merits an extra rest day, though. Similarly, the monastery at Samos is worth a visit but may not require a rest day. For a completely different type of architecture, along with great views, you may find O Cebreiro attractive. In my experience, however, the great nature tended to be something you walked through rather than rested at.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Pamplona (but not on a weekend - too much party ;-), Grañón (just to relax), Atapuerca (to see the excavations) and some of the little places in between there and Santiago - but then, I am not a big city peregrinsa ;-) In short, rest where you feel called to rest and walk when you feel called to walk.

Buen Camino, SY

Peg had to take about three days for rest/recovery in both Sahagun (at about the halfway point of the CF) and Astorga. I enjoyed the stay at both. They were big enough to have a number of sights yet small enough to feel like they might be the "real Spain." We also had a sightseeing day each in Burgos and Leon. I liked Leon better. We just passed through Pamplona on the way but spent a few days there on our way back. Loved our stay but probably to close to the start of your camino to spend rest days there.

[Edit: If you don't know at least some Spanish you may not want to spend too many days in Sahagun. If you can mingle a bit then it is worth more time.]

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola @Samarkand, well I suppose it depends on your interest and whether its just rest you really need. If you have an "historical bent" then Burgos and Leon both have places that will grab your interest. I cycled the camino in 2015 and was able to visit the "ancient man" museum at Atapuerca. But if you plan your days you can start from Villambista or Villafranca Montes de Oca and still have time to walk down the 2 km (or so) and back. Astorga would also be a good stop if you bypassed the stop in Leon. Hope this helps,. Cheers

If you want to take 4 rest days during the CF, where would they be? Which sections are historical or beautiful enough to make you stop and take a 0km day? Why would you stop there?
@Samarkand
I would recommend taking the bus from Burgos to Santo Domingo de Silos, where there is a wonderful monastery where the monks sing the Divine Office in a traditional style. Spend a couple of days there to see the monastery and hear the monks sing their worship: a wonderful experience. But be sure to book accommodation ahead of time if you plan to be there on a weekend, as it is a popular place for a weekend away for residents of Burgos, and can be booked up.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Assuming by “rest day” you mean dont walk far but still see stuff days, I recommend Pamplona old town, Burgos & Leon where both Cathedrals and downtowns are vibrant, Astorga smaller but still stuff to do, Ponferada templar castle and area is fun. Lots of others I know liked Logrono, but it was too noisy for my taste and not as strong historic sites. Viana outside of Logrono was better in my opinion. If you want pure rest and quiet Los Arcos, Navarette (lovely little town with over the top church, Castrojeriz (La Posada Meson nice), El Acebo or Molinaseca. My small town recommendations are based on they have lots of modest places you can stay for multiple days, plenty of places to get food and supplies, and enough to see that they would interesting if you go out for a walk.

Last edited:
Other than the obvious big cities - Leon, Burgos - I like Villafranca del Bierzo a lot. There is a church of St Francis there that is very special.
And an extra quiet night in Rabinal is very special too.

There are off-camino places really worth seeing and staying in as well:
Santo Domingo de Silos, off the CF about an hour's bus ride south of Burgos (there is a direct bus morning and evening, or you can taxi) - For the amazing cloister and gregorian chant
Yuso/Suso/Cañas, South of the CF near Afroza - for the history. You can walk there as a detour, stay the night, and return to the Frances in Cirueña

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I'll be in Spain for about 40 days, which hopefully will give me enough time to take both planned and unplanned breaks. But, of course, plans can change on the fly and that's OK for me.

I'll be doing the Camino in January and February, so my itinerary is also based on where there might be open albergues. I'll be starting from Pamplona (so I might take a day there or not) and tentatively plan to take 0-days in Leon and Ponferrada, and short 10km-days starting or terminating in Viana, Logrono, Burgos and Samos. Of course, I'll be staying at least 1 day extra in Santiago too.

Hi Samarkand,

I would not plan rest days in advance but calculate some additional days. So you can take a rest day or walk a short day if you feel that you should do so or if your body demands it. Much will depend on the company you find on your way. I found it particularily hard do give up my "camino familiy". If you have three or four days left at the end of the journey, you may consider to walk to Muxía or Finisterre or both.

BC
Alexandra

Walking the whole CF with 4 rest days I'd take one each in Pamplona (to sort out early niggles and buy stuff you may need), Burgos ( to get ready for the Meseta) Leon (great evening plaza life) and Sarria/Portomarin (recover from the climbing/decending and get set for the last push).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you want to take 4 rest days during the CF, where would they be? Which sections are historical or beautiful enough to make you stop and take a 0km day? Why would you stop there?
León Culture, history and good food and wine

My favourites: Burgos, Leon, Astorga plus one in a place that strikes you as especially appealing as you walk along.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Burgos, 2 days Leon, Astorga

We stayed an extra day in Pamplona, Burgos and Leon. Mainly because there is lot to see/visit in these big cities. And I would certainly advise to stay a couple of extra days in Santiago after you finished! You need to slowly get used to idea that you have done it! YTou don't want to rush back into your "normal" life Buen Camino

The Spanish opening hours mean that you can very often see 'the sights' in the late afternoon or early evening. I have been known to arrive in a place and fit in a trip to a museum and a swimming pool! I have almost never taken an actual day off, and haven't felt deprived of seeing the things I wanted to see. I even saw Atapuerca on an afternoon, and that's a bus ride away from the camino.

On the subject of Atapuerca, be sure to join an English speaking tour - it's very interesting but a rather technical and difficult to understand site and a tour is essential.

The other thing to remember is that walking in the winter, you are likely to get into a small and close knit group of people. Every day off means you will lose them. Is that worth it?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Pamplona (but not on a weekend - too much party ;-), Grañón (just to relax), Atapuerca (to see the excavations) and some of the little places in between there and Santiago - but then, I am not a big city peregrinsa ;-) In short, rest where you feel called to rest and walk when you feel called to walk.

Buen Camino, SY
I agree with you. The most imprrhing you can do is listen to your body. Walk when it tells you to go and rest when it tells you to stop. If you are walking as a pilgrim it will be the best way to insure your health and spirit.

Have to that 3 times I stopped in Burgos for a day and sat in the cafe opposite the Cathedral for a glass of wine. Outside it being September! Each time I saw and rejoined with people who were ahead of me and also saw many pals who were arriving. Loved it!

I would agree with Logrono, Burgos (gorgeous cathedral-- El Cid and his wife, Ximena, are buried there; also see the Museum of Human Evolution on the other side of the river from the cathedral), Leon (another gorgeous city with several cathedrals/churches worth a visit; great food in its restaurants) and Villafranca del Bierzo. However, Atapuerca is also worth an extra day because of the opportunity to see the archealogical dig sites if that interests you (check in advance as to which days it is open)-it's one day out before Burgos. I plan on stopping there on my next pass through that area.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Burgos, Leon, Astorga-- But then, I love the cathedrals and found a few concerts in Leon. It depends what you're looking for.

My Camino journey (Frances Route) was 45 days. I took one rest day in Leon, yet became antsy even with that brief pause. After acquiring my "Camino Legs" I got into a Camino rhythm, and the overwhelming urge to keep moving. I was on the trail between 0630 and 0700 every morning and tried to reach the day's destination around 1400. After showering I found ample time to roam around the town or city in which I was staying. But, I was on a mission to prove to myself I could start and finish the entire Camino, so my sight-seeing was self-limited. On nice days I would remove my pack and lie in a field and watch the clouds or pause to listen for the Cuckoo. I was fortunate not to be in a hurry, and I looked at the Camino a bit like a tasting menu. For sure on my next trek, I'll be spending more time in Logroño, Burgos, Sahagun, Leon, Molinaseca, Pamplona, Nájera, Santo Domingo de la Calzada, and Santiago (where I spent 5 days at the end of this journey.) Next time, I may even go into the church in Los Arcos and listen to its world famous organ...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, you got a lot of info here. Here is some more: I chose the larger places to take a rest day or at least have a shorter day before or after. I really loved Pamplona, lively, colorful, made it to the amazing museum in the Cathedral. Wished I would have spent the night, but went on. Burgos is charming. Wouldn’t miss it. Loved León! Amazing things to see and great food. Little places I loved and thought how nice it would be to stop a day: Rabanal del Camino, Samos (!!), Molinaseca, Villafranca del Bierzo. And that may be just scratching the surface!
Just a note about rest days. I didn’t take a rest day until Leon because I felt like I was fine. In Leon actually got a hotel and planned the next day to see the whole city. Left the hotel about nine for coffee and after about 100 meters realized that my body was exhausted. Returned to the hotel and slept until 2:30 that afternoon. Lesson learned: you need rest even if your body full of adrenaline says no!

I would suggest taking more than one day of rest in Burgos- it is not that far from the midpoint of the CF and it is a treasure chest. One can see three great monastic sites, Charterhouse Miraflores, Monasterio Santa Maria de Las Huelgas, and a short trip to Santo Domingo de los Silos. The cathedral is great and if one is lucky to be visiting there on a sunny day look up in the chapel of the Condestables de Castille, you won’t forget that view. The Museum of Human Evolution, and the small but very interesting book museum, and the Museum of Burgos. At least a half dozen artistically significant “minor” churches in town. The intact medieval core of the city. I would also recommend time in Estella, perhaps too early in the trip, but lots to see and if you like to be challenged you can play the game “try to find the church open”, Leon with another long list of sites (don’t miss the cathedral cloister and the attached undervisited cathedral museum).

Last edited:

€149,-
Burgos is a lovely town with an beautiful historic center. It also has an excellent Museum of Human evolution that runs tours to Atapuerca. There' a river running through the town and a large park on the NE side to provide some nature.

Logroño, just so that you can have two nights sampling the joys of Calle Laurel! This place is an absolute joy. I missed it on my Camino but caught up with it this week. The street is just Tapas bars. One of them specializes in just selling mushrooms grilled with olive oil, absolutely delicious. Try the vino del año, (this years wine at a about 1€ a glass) and then compare it with a crianza ( one that has been aged in oak casks) for about 2.50€. Try the caldo, a thin broth, served hot with bread. If you're walking in winter you'll appreciate it. If you see a sign saying "Hay Caldo" it means, "we've got Caldo". Give it a go!
Go online and look up the Campo Viejo website. Email them and book a tour. Share a taxi with other pilgrims that you can rope in. Costs 12€, takes a couple of hours and it is worth every penny! Your guide will speak excellent English.

If you are starting in st Jean, you may want to rest by Pamplona, a fabulous city. I also recommend Najera, Astorga, again, great cities with plenty to see and do. I wished i had taken the time to stay over at Leon, and in the interesting city of Villagranca de Bierzo. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Burgos, Leon, Astorga (really interesting cities with lots to see and places to chill out with a coffee) and Rabanal del Camino (where you can stay two nights+ on a 'silent' retreat at the monastery with the Benedictine monks).

Logroño, just so that you can have two nights sampling the joys of Calle Laurel! This place is an absolute joy. I missed it on my Camino but caught up with it this week. The street is just Tapas bars. One of them specializes in just selling mushrooms grilled with olive oil, absolutely delicious. Try the vino del año, (this years wine at a about 1€ a glass) and then compare it with a crianza ( one that has been aged in oak casks) for about 2.50€. Try the caldo, a thin broth, served hot with bread. If you're walking in winter you'll appreciate it. If you see a sign saying "Hay Caldo" it means, "we've got Caldo". Give it a go!
Go online and look up the Campo Viejo website. Email them and book a tour. Share a taxi with other pilgrims that you can rope in. Costs 12€, takes a couple of hours and it is worth every penny! Your guide will speak excellent English.
Last year my friend joined me for the first part of the Camino and we spent her last day in Logroño. Together with another pilgrim we had a great tapas crawl!
We stayed in a pensión near Calle Laurel and didn't have to worry about a curfew. 😉

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We stayed extra days in Logrono, Burgos, Leon and Vilafranca del Bierzo. Reasons were:
- Desire to schedule rest days every 7-8 days through the work
- At least in the case of the first 3, to stay in larger towns/cities with more infrastructure, e.g. nice to get away from the standard Camino food on offer etc.

You may find some nice places to stop from all the other descriptions of places along the CF but there is an overriding reason for rest days, to rest, give the body a chance to reconstitute. Regardless of whether the trip is a pilgrimage or you are just taking an extraordinarily long walk, if the body does not receive respect, it will revolt and the results are usually not pretty. 😎

I can only speak with authority on how and where to spend 40 rest days. Someone had better tell me where to spend 4 active days. The guy on the road publicising the best-ever albergue in Villafranca got sick of giving me leaflets. It was all the churros in Ponferrada. Seven years on, and I still can't look at a churro. Maybe the Templars put something in the grease.

Seriously, all the regional centres from Pamplona to Santiago were great. Here in Oz our urban centres are either very much cities or very much towns, with some exceptions. Spanish cities of the second rank are a perfect size for me. However my fave was not on the CF. That was Pontevedra on the Portugues. Anyone looking for a coastal getaway at the finish might well consider scooting south to Pontevedra.

So, Samarkand, if Burgos or Logrono or Leon takes your eye, you won't be disappointed if you linger. As mentioned above, your body might tell you when it's time. (Mine tells me too often.)

Buen camino

Rob

@Samarkand
I would recommend taking the bus from Burgos to Santo Domingo de Silos, where there is a wonderful monastery where the monks sing the Divine Office in a traditional style. Spend a couple of days there to see the monastery and hear the monks sing their worship: a wonderful experience. But be sure to book accommodation ahead of time if you plan to be there on a weekend, as it is a popular place for a weekend away for residents of Burgos, and can be booked up.
I spent two nights there - it was amazing. I was probably the only pilgrim there. During the day I stolled the hills and farms and rested. Attended three mass services... The two days spent there was a turning point on my Camino...it was as if all the emotions just settled...I cried , I laughed, was in awe of life....and then continued my Camino with a skip in my walk :)

Any hilltop village rest and get fresh air into lungs and good bottle or 2 of vino buen camino 👣👣👣👣👣👣

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Peg had to take about three days for rest/recovery in both Sahagun (at about the halfway point of the CF) and Astorga. I enjoyed the stay at both. They were big enough to have a number of sights yet small enough to feel like they might be the "real Spain." We also had a sightseeing day each in Burgos and Leon. I liked Leon better. We just passed through Pamplona on the way but spent a few days there on our way back. Loved our stay but probably to close to the start of your camino to spend rest days there.

[Edit: If you don't know at least some Spanish you may not want to spend too many days in Sahagun. If you can mingle a bit then it is worth more time.]
Rick, how many days did you take to complete your Camino, including rest days?

Simple. Where I felt I need a rest ;);)

Sorry I'm not try to be a Smart Ass :oops:

But you might need to think about rest days from 2 perspectives.
'Nice' places to stop. That have sight seeing opportunities, places to eat, whatever your thing is.
Great suggestions above.
And places you might 'have' to stop, as your body says stop. It happens.

All the suggested places above are great.

But one of the best stops we had was an enforced one.
Our Camino almost ended at Fromista due to injury.
My wife Pat needed a to see a physio and he told her to take a rest day.
He was a real Camino Angel.
Her Plantar Fasciitis was just too bad and needed a break.
We were in Carrion on the CF,

And quite by luck, we had booked into San Zoilo as a treat,
It was magical.
We asked at reception if we could stay an extra night and they had one room left, we grabbed it.
The food was great, and we fitted in another physio session. but it was the 'in-house' church and cloisters that were the icing on the cake.

We were meant to stay there for a rest day I think.
http://sanzoilo.com/

Blog Post: https://robscamino.com/2018/day-22-the-camino-provides/
Videos: https://robscamino.com/2018/hotel-real-monasterio-de-san-zoilo-videos/
and: https://robscamino.com/2018/a-day-off-in-carrion-videos/
Note: The music on the cloister videos is piped! We sat there for hours..........

Just be prepared that a rest day might come up unexpectedly, in an unexpected place. ;)

Or you'll just arrive at a place with a great 'vibe' or whatever...........and you want to stay another night.

Last edited:
Rick, how many days did you take to complete your Camino, including rest days?
Actually I have a terse synopsis on hand and here it is:

From St. Jean Pied de Port to arrival in Santiago de Compostela:
Guide had 33 days
We took 58 days
48 walking days
2 tourist days (Burgos, day 18 and Leon, day 34)
1 sick day (Villalcaza de Sirga, day 24)
7 recovery days (2 Sahagun, days 29 & 30, 1 Villar de Mazarife, day 36, 4 Astorga, days 37-40)

From St. Jean Pied de Port to arrival in Finisterre:
We took 63 days (additional 2 tourist days in Santiago and additional 3 walking days)
(Peg stayed 2 more days in Santiago and took bus to Finisterre the next day.)

From St. Jean Pied de Port to arrival in Muxia:
We took 66 days (additional 1 tourist day in Finisterre and additional 2 walking days)

8 weeks, 2 days to get to Santiago (58 days)
9 weeks, 3 days to get to Muxia (66 days)

Total trip: 66 days
Hiking days: (Rick: 53, Peg: 50)
Days of no hiking: (Rick: 13, Peg: 16)

The average distance each walking day was about 10 miles (16 km)

Last edited:
If you take a rest day in Ponferrada, you could visit Las Médulas. An enormous ex-Roman gold mining site. Check it out on Google! I don't know about public transport to get there, as my brother met up with us and took us there in the car. About half an hour drive from Ponferrada.
Another interesting site, which has been mentioned here, is the UNESCO World Heritage pre-historic site near Atapuerca. You go to the site office in the village and book the bus tour which takes you to the excavations, also about half an hour from the village. The bus also goes through Ages and picks up passengers there too.
Actually both sites are UNESCO World Heritage sites.

€60,-
Actually I have a terse synopsis on hand and here it is:

From St. Jean Pied de Port to arrival in Santiago de Compostela:
Guide had 33 days
We took 58 days
48 walking days
2 tourist days (Burgos, day 18 and Leon, day 34)
1 sick day (Villalcaza de Sirga, day 24)
7 recovery days (2 Sahagun, days 29 & 30, 1 Villar de Mazarife, day 36, 4 Astorga, days 37-40)

From St. Jean Pied de Port to arrival in Finisterre:
We took 63 days (additional 2 tourist days in Santiago and additional 3 walking days)
(Peg stayed 2 more days in Santiago and took bus to Finisterre the next day.)

From St. Jean Pied de Port to arrival in Muxia:
We took 66 days (additional 1 tourist day in Finisterre and additional 2 walking days)

8 weeks, 2 days to get to Santiago (58 days)
9 weeks, 3 days to get to Muxia (66 days)

Total trip: 66 days
Hiking days: (Rick: 53, Peg: 50)
Days of no hiking: (Rick: 13, Peg: 16)

The average distance each walking day was about 10 miles (16 km)

Now THAT's a Camino :):)

Ok. So there is the where question as far as timing. But what towns/cities are most awesome is another question. My favorite of all time is logrono. I’ve done frances 4 times and always is the best. Plus it is so active for locals. 3 year old kids are out at 10 pm. True Spain. If you like good wines and good tapas. Pamplona is cool because it is Pamplona. They have a tapas street too. Leon is a great historic and party town. Great bars and restaurants. You can go to this one ham bar - forget the name - bit you get a full meal with a 2$ glass of wine. Smaller towns - Estrella and Astorga are great. But then you have super small towns with great experiences like bar Elvis in reliegos and many more. What makes a stop over the best is the people and albergue. Places like hospital orbigo you would not necessarily stay a full day, but they have amazing albergues like Verde.

I stayed an extra day in Cirauqui. Because I needed a rest day and it was a tiny, pretty village and there was absolutely nothing to do there. I stayed an extra day in a couple of interesting, historic cities, too, but I wouldn't call them "rest" days. I did more walking on those days off the Camino than I did on. I highly recommend taking a break from the Camino by spending an extra day immersing yourself in a small, sleepy Spanish village.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I need to confess, I did the whole of the Camino once (wth some interruptions), but was so obsessed with distance, I missed most of everything but the distances walked and bedbugs. The second time, I spent so much time looking at things and speaking with people, I didn’t finish.

I wouldn’t do all four rest days at once. First place I would take a break would be Santo Domingo de la Calzada. For two reasons. First, the whole town deserves a day to explore. The cathedral, the convent..I found really neat Camino sock on the main road in. Secondly, Monasteries Suso and Yuso are just a short way away and totally worth the visit.

Najera would be the next place. I haven’t done this yet, but it is on my list

Castrojerez is another. I have stayed there and apparently there are tunnels that run from the town to the castle that I would like to explore.

Beyond this, from my second walk I cannot say.

My only suggestion is...enjoy the Camino. There is so much to appreciate.

I look forward to completing front Leon to Santiago at a later date.

I spent the night in Atapuerca, which was a nice stop, but my understanding was that visits to the archaeological site need to be arranged via the museum in Burgos, and that you needed to take the shuttle from themuseum. I didn't think they allowed independent visitors. Maybe I must understood - it sounds like some of you did visit while in Atapuerca.

I met one pilgrim who splurged on a two-day break at a casa rurale. That sounded like a wonderful idea.

I spent the night in Atapuerca, which was a nice stop, but my understanding was that visits to the archaeological site need to be arranged via the museum in Burgos, and that you needed to take the shuttle from themuseum. I didn't think they allowed independent visitors. Maybe I must understood - it sounds like some of you did visit while in Atapuerca.

I met one pilgrim who splurged on a two-day break at a casa rurale. That sounded like a wonderful idea.
There is a bus that takes you to the site from Atapuerca. You can't go independently - it's a tour. When I went, the tour was in Spanish.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Assuming by “rest day” you mean dont walk far but still see stuff days, I recommend Pamplona old town, Burgos & Leon where both Cathedrals and downtowns are vibrant, Astorga smaller but still stuff to do, Ponferada templar castle and area is fun. Lots of others I know liked Logrono, but it was too noisy for my taste and not as strong historic sites. Viana outside of Logrono was better in my opinion. If you want pure rest and quiet Los Arcos, Navarette (lovely little town with over the top church, Castrojeriz (La Posada Meson nice), El Acebo or Molinaseca. My small town recommendations are based on they have lots of modest places you can stay for multiple days, plenty of places to get food and supplies, and enough to see that they would interesting if you go out for a walk.
El Acebo or Molinaseca I concur!

I stop when my body tells me it’s time to stop. Many pilgrims aggravate minor injuries by walking three or four more days to take a day off in a pre-planned location in order “to stay on schedule.”

Very good advice!
The best place to take a rest day............when your body requests it.
Almost everywhere is a great place to stop!

€46,-
I didn’t take any rest days when I did the CF in 2014, which I regret, but if I did it again and took rest days they would certainly include Pamplona, Leon and Burgos - all lively and beautiful cities worth spending more time in. If I had to nominate a fourth rest day location it would probably be Astorga. O’Cebreiro was my favourite place on the Camino - the night I spent there was a wild and windy one, and the place had a strange, elemental feel to it - but I don’t think there’s enough to do there to warrant a day’s rest.

I stop when my body tells me it’s time to stop. Many pilgrims aggravate minor injuries by walking three or four more days to take a day off in a pre-planned location in order “to stay on schedule.”
I needed a rest day, but I wanted it to be in Astorga, so I took the train to Astorga. Took my rest day, then bussed back to pick up the skipped stages. Then I got to spend the night in Astorga again! LOL

€60,-
Depends on where you are starting. If you are starting in France, Pamplona is a great first rest stop. A fabulous city full of charm. I also agree with Astorga. Both have plenty of sights to see, good food, stores with supplies, etc. and are fun!

Santo Domingo d l C; Mansilla, Leon, Leon again. I like Leon.

[QUOTE="adam lapp, post: 685593, member: 45934]you get a full meal with a 2$ glass of wine.
[/QUOTE]

Jamón Jamón, but don’t tell everyone!

Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos and Leon for me

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back