A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

If you're in San Juan de Ortega tomorrow ...

Advertisment

grayland

Staff member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Yes
We were (inadvertently) there on the proper day (2009) and were able to watch it.
It was amazing to see the usually empty parking lot fill up to overflow just a few hours before the event.

Camino(s) past & future
'
Correct me if I'm wrong but if I understand correctly, both from an astronomy article and videoclips, you can see the phenomenon not only on the day of the equinox but also on the two or three days before and after. Spring equinox this year was on 20 March 2018 at 16:15 UT. I'm not sure at what time of the day you can see the event in San Juan de Ortega, I think it's late in the afternoon?

PS: I know that it says 21 March in the article but they are a bit out of date ... :cool:.

Last edited:

peregrina2000

Staff member
Donating Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but if I understand correctly, both from an astronomy article and videoclips, you can see the phenomenon not only on the day of the equinox but also on the two or three days before and after. Spring equinox this year was on 20 March 2018 at 16:15 UT. I'm not sure at what time of the day you can see the event in San Juan de Ortega, I think it's late in the afternoon?

PS: I know that it says 21 March in the article but they are a bit out of date ... :cool:.

Oh, Kathar1na, I am always so happy when you jump in to correct the bald assertions and provide the nuance. This is great news for anyone walking in the vicinity now, maybe you can see this extraordinary phenomenon for the next couple of days. That capital is surely one of the most spectacular I have seen anywhere, and with the sun shining directly on it, it must be crazily beautiful.

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
In 2015 was there on the 21st of March and it was a trip to walk off a very muddy camino into a throng of tour buses! Unfortunately the weather was rotten, so no sunbeams. But even so, the stonework was very special. Don't miss it, no matter what the date. 20150321_120251 (800x450).jpg IMG_7534.JPG IMG_7525.JPG IMG_7538.JPG IMG_7526.JPG

Advertisment

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
Who are those guys in the boat on the stormy seas?
The sarcophagus in the centre of the nave had all these amazing little montages and that was one of them. I wish I knew for sure, but I think they're scenes from the life of San Juan. Here's another that I particularly like because the oxcart is exactly the same as the ones I see out my window here in Burma every morning. IMG_7536.JPG

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
@Kathar1na & @peregrina2000
I don't think few hours (or even couple of days) makes whole lot of a difference to us ordinary people. But watching a final match of UEFA Football League Championship (that's soccer for you yanks) between Barcelona and Manchester Utd. in 2011 in Ages is unforgettable. I have had maybe three or four cases of hangover in my whole life and the day after was one of them ;)
Equinox, well it might work. Or it might not :D

Scott...O

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP-Leon (15)
SJPdP-SdC-Finisterre-Muxia (16)
Lisbon-SdC (17)

Le Puy-Pamplona (18)
There’s a similar occurrence in Los Arcos.
We just happened to be there on the right day.
Each year on August 16 (and presumably the ‘mirror’ date in about April), at sunset the sun’s rays pass through a hole in the archway at the West end of the town square, to illuminate the image of the Virgin & Child over the entrance to the Church of Santa Maria (12th C).
A bit like a scene from an Indiana Jones movie...

24B28918-F3B2-435C-AC7D-A779B5CA110B.jpeg

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
This piqued my curiosity, and I found myself wondering if engineering these sorts of effects could have been more common than we think. I can easily imagine that an imitative competition could have been going on, at all levels - from parish churches to great cathedrals.
So I asked Google and (by 'coincidence?') got this as the first hit:
ILLUMINATION EFFECTS AT THE CATHEDRAL OF SAINT JAMES (GALICIA): FIRST RESULTS by Benito Vilas Estévez and A. César González-García
It says this (and many other fascinating things):
"Nevertheless, different sources indicate that, from the beginning of the construction of the Romanesque cathedral in the high Middle Ages, light and shadow effects and allegoric images were considered at the façades of the temple that were not the result of improvisation."

So...it sounds like it must have been a not-so-uncommon 'thing' people did when designing such structures.

Camino(s) past & future
'
Oh, VN, those are beautiful pictures. Who are those guys in the boat on the stormy seas?
Juan de Ortega went on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem and on the return journey, their ship got into a storm and threatened to sink. I suppose San Juan is the one on the right, praying for help (to San Nicolas de Bari who was the competent saint for such matters).

Camino(s) past & future
'
There is something odd about this but I can't get my head around it. Why is this display of light on the sculpture of the Annunciation not centered around the feast day of the Annunciation, namely on 25 March?

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2014, 2015)
St Olav/Francés (2016)
Baztanés/Francés (2017)
Ingles (July 2018)
There is something odd about this but I can't get my head around it. Why is this display of light on the sculpture of the Annunciation not centered around the feast day of the Annunciation, namely on 25 March?
Could it be the difference between the Julian and Gregorian calendars?

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
This piqued my curiosity, and I found myself wondering if engineering these sorts of effects could have been more common than we think. I can easily imagine that an imitative competition could have been going on, at all levels - from parish churches to great cathedrals.
Happened to me too during my first, last and only visit to SdC cathedral in 2011.

1603-sun lit statue in the Cathedral (Santiago de Compostela, 23.06.2011).jpg

And in my room:

1615-room in Pension on Rua Vilar (Santiago de Compostela, 23.06.2011).jpg

Scott...O

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP-Leon (15)
SJPdP-SdC-Finisterre-Muxia (16)
Lisbon-SdC (17)

Le Puy-Pamplona (18)
And if you’re ever in Tanis, I’m led to believe it’s well worth visiting the Map Room at the right time of day, particularly if you’re trying to find your way to the Well of Souls. Just make sure that you get the length of the staff right...

24D46B61-6CA1-4614-83C2-501F9AB44F59.jpeg

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
'
Could it be the difference between the Julian and Gregorian calendars?
It doesn't work out, at least not the way I think it should ;). I spent the best part of an afternoon on this but I'm not happy with the results. Interestingly, I learnt about the Spanish Era or era of Caesar, which according to Wikipedia at least, was a dating system commonly used in the states of the Iberian peninsula until the 14th–15th centuries. It goes back to the time of the Romans in Spain. And J. Caesar, when introducing his calendar reform, actually aligned the day of the spring equinox with the date of 25 March. To be continued ... :cool:.

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 18 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 67 17.0%
  • May

Votes: 104 26.3%
  • June