• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If you're looking for a more spiritual Camino experience

Clark

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to hike the Portuguese Way from Porto to Santiago in May 2018
Hello all,

As much as I've loved reading everyone's approach to the Camino here, I was desperately looking for books on the Camino from a spiritual perspective.

I'm happy to say that I found two! 500 Miles with Jesus by Dave Pivonka and Walk in a Relaxed Manner by Joyce Typo are excellent books on the Camino from a Catholic/Christian perspective.

Pivonka emphasizes the communion with Jesus he experienced whereas Rupp approaches the walk with a spirituality that is slightly more ambiguous. Both were very encouraging and easy to read.

I feel that Rupp's work touched my heart more, given the complete transparency with which she writes. She willingly shares the dirty parts of the Camino along with the beauty. Plus, the close of her work adds a very touching reflection that stays with you when you've finished.

I strongly recommend both books to anyone seeking to walk the Camino through the eyes of someone of faith!

Clark

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My fave Camino book is 500 Miles with Jesus by Dave Pivonka and I always recommend it to new pilgrims. You could check out my book, a daily devotional for pilgrims looking for a deeper "Inner Journey." "Spiritual and Walking Guide" is available on Ivar's website at the "Book Store". Please let me know what you think.

What is the name of the book that you reference, "I feel that Rupp's work touched my heart more"?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My fave Camino book is 500 Miles with Jesus by Dave Pivonka and I always recommend it to new pilgrims. You could check out my book, a daily devotional for pilgrims looking for a deeper "Inner Journey." "Spiritual and Walking Guide" is available on Ivar's website at the "Book Store". Please let me know what you think.

What is the name of the book that you reference, "I feel that Rupp's work touched my heart more"?
It's "Walk in a Relaxed Manner" by Joyce Rupp.....the word Typo was inputted instead of Rupp. I Googled it because I want to read it too. Thank you for the book recommendations, Clark and Stacey!!!

I'll check your book out for sure! Joyce Rupp's book is called Walking in a Relaxed Manner. It's longer than 500 Miles with Jesus but quite well written.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
"Walk in a relaxed manner, life lessons from the Camino." by Joyce Rupp. She is a nun and walked the camino in 2003 when she turned 60 with her friend father Tom Pfeffer. They were incognito during their walk.

I have found it a really good book. It was her way of paying it forward to her community that wasn't able to go on the walk. It is not a travellog. It is more a reflection on, or understanding of, the events that happened on her walk on the French Camino and what she felt and thought before the walk, during the walk and after the walk. It is set out in Life Lessons.

DH thinks she is a bit self absorbed and I think she's a bit of a whinger but there were some good messages that I took away from it. Some of her language is a bit flowery-over the top. Despite that I thought it was really good.
I thought it was a worthwhile read.
The "Life Lessons" are pretty straight forward "mindfulness" but interesting to reflect on.

Last edited:

€46,-
I also bought Keith Foskett "The Journey in Between". He does the Le Puy way all the way to Santiago de Compostela. I was really disappointed. It is a travel log and he learns nothing and thinks about nothing except chasing the next woman on the trail.

Also I wouldn't bother with Shirley McLean's "The Camino: A journey of the Spirit". It is just weird.

Last edited:
Imhave to ask: "dirty parts". What are these "dirty parts"?
Joyce Rupp walked in 2003 and therefore encountered albergue conditions that are very seldom experienced now----- mainly relating to filthy bathroom areas. Her honestly related "negative" reactions I found a great spur to myself to reflect more realistically on my less attractive behaviours and reactions to others!

I love what you said, basquelady, "Her honestly related "negative" reactions I found a great spur to myself to reflect more realistically on my less attractive behaviours and reactions to others!" I have a few stories of my own "less attractive behaviours and reactions to others" that I need to get down on paper. It just difficult to write about...but it needs to be captured. One of the stories is quite funny and gets my young nieces howling with laughter (at me, of course) and they beg me to retell the story to their friends. I'll get Rupp's book as it may get my creative writing juices flowing...thanks for sharing, all!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What I liked most about Rupp's negatives were that they've helped me break from the overly romantic notions of the Camino.

I'm looking forward to the time with the Lord but I think it's easy to get wrapped up with the beauty in the videos and photos and forget that there will be discomfort as well.

Since it is usually through discomfort that we find the most spiritual clarity, this has helped me prepare my heart

I have written a paper about pastoral care on the camino. Although it's in Dutch, I post it here. There are some places with lots of spirituality named in it (anno 2016).

500 Miles with Jesus by Dave Pivonka, I've read it twice. very good.
Journey to Joy: Psalms of Ascent by Josh Moody.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello all,

As much as I've loved reading everyone's approach to the Camino here, I was desperately looking for books on the Camino from a spiritual perspective.

I'm happy to say that I found two! 500 Miles with Jesus by Dave Pivonka and Walk in a Relaxed Manner by Joyce Typo are excellent books on the Camino from a Catholic/Christian perspective.

Pivonka emphasizes the communion with Jesus he experienced whereas Rupp approaches the walk with a spirituality that is slightly more ambiguous. Both were very encouraging and easy to read.

I feel that Rupp's work touched my heart more, given the complete transparency with which she writes. She willingly shares the dirty parts of the Camino along with the beauty. Plus, the close of her work adds a very touching reflection that stays with you when you've finished.

I strongly recommend both books to anyone seeking to walk the Camino through the eyes of someone of faith!

Clark
Interesting discussion following the OP.

I read Walk in a Relaxed Manner, not least because I have read another half dozen books by Joyce Rupp and always found them helpful. I really didn't like it much when I began reading and was quite disappointed. I found it moany and whiney.

BUT, BUT, BUT, I often find that books which annoy me are speaking to me in a particular way.

Without wishing to reveal a spoiler, something happens in the book, by way of plot, which throws things into context. And afterwards I appreciated the book more. And ultimately have read it more than once.

Thanks for the tip about Dave Pivonka. I will look for that.

I know exactly what you mean about the plot change and I agree, it completely changed my perspective on the work.

Roy Uprichards work Stone & Water is also a really fascinating read. He includes a lot of history regarding the spiritual variant of the Portuguese way.

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back