• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

IGN Maps download step-by-step

StuartM

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012)
Hi,

I mentioned in another thread that you can download IGN 1:50000 maps from their website which are good for navigation. I've been asked how you actually do it and I know it is a fairly confusing website especially if you don't speak Spanish so here is a little step-by-step of how to do it that may be of use to some:

1. First off, you need to know which map sheets you actually need. Do this by downloading the whole map of Spain which divides the peninsula up into numbered grid squares. Just make a list of the sheets you need using this map. It can be found here: http://centrodedescargas.cnig.es/CentroDescargas/equipamiento/cuadricula_MTN50.png

2. Now that you have your list you need an IGN account. Sign up here: http://centrodedescargas.cnig.es/CentroDescargas/registro.do

3. Go to the downloads page (and log in if you need to): http://centrodedescargas.cnig.es/CentroDescargas/cambiarMenu.do?destino=presentacion

4. Click on the second download option:
downloadicon.jpg

5. Next it will ask you to select a product (Seleccione Producto). In the list scroll down to "MTN50 raster" and pick that.

6. In the end box (Seleccione Hoja del MTN50) type the sheet number you want. If you want to be exact then type the sheet number in a four digit format: for example, sheet 29 would be typed as 0029.

7. Click "Buscar"

8. On the next page you will be presented with a list of results. You want the one that says *.zip in the file title and is listed as a TIFF file. You don't want the XML data or shape files or any other options.

9. Click on the little icon at the end that looks like a tiny sheet of paper (underneath where it says "Descargar"). This displays the licence agreement in Spanish. At the bottom of the page click the button that reads: He leído y acepto la licencia

10. This takes you to a page which asks what you want the mapping for. You don't have to fill this out, just scroll to the bottom and click the button reading: No enviar y continuar con la descarga

11. Nearly there! Click on the button which says: pulse aqui para iniciar la descarga. There is a bit of a delay while the download is prepared but after a moment or two a ZIP file should start to download.

12. Open the ZIP in Winzip or Winrar or something. There are lots of files in the ZIP, the important files you need are the TIFF files (the sheet may be split into two files) and the JPG titled LeyendaMTN50 which is a key to the map symbols.

It is a bit of long winded process if you need a lot of maps but if you just need a few sheets it isn't that painful. You can then use these files in an image editor and cut them down to just the bits you need, join them together, print, etc. Or you could import them into something like Fugawi and upload on to a navigator (that may violate the licence terms, not sure, my Spanish isn't good enough for legalese).

An easier method I found was to use the Sigpac website, do some screen prints, open in an image editor and print from there: http://sigpac.mapa.es/fega/visor/

Anyhow, hope that helps.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.