• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My First Camino: A Short but Exciting Trek Across Galician Winter

teeranaic

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances | Jan. 2022
As the title says, it's gonna be my first Camino ever.

I've heard of the Camino since when I was studying history in college (that was about 2008-2009) but I could never commit to it. I told myself I'd do it after I start working and saving enough money, but when I did have a job and money, I never had the time. I'm sure it's a tale as old as time on this forum.... You won't believe how many times I browsed through the threads here, planning to go, only to postpone it again and again.

Until now. I just quit my job on New Year's Eve. Now I have no more excuse not to go. I'll be starting my Camino from either Samos or Triacastela on Saturday. Yes, it's gonna be just a short stretch compared to the whole route, but to be honest with you, I'm excited as much as nervous about it.

A bit about myself: I'm from Thailand, so the journey across the Eurasian continent is gonna be a thrilling experience itself for me... I can't shake off this irrational fear that something would go wrong with my documents and the Spanish immigration won't let me in. Or maybe the border would be closed at the last minute. Well, I'm not turning back now so I'll find out in 48 hours from now. My flight leaves Bangkok at 1am on Thursday.

As you can imagine, I'm from a tropical country, so trekking across countryside in heart of Galician winter is definitely a daunting experience to me, to say the least. To give you some perspective, it was 29 C today in Bangkok. I can't imagine how 'shocked' my body would be. I've never done this sort of hiking either (I've been a very protected city dweller all my life, I'm ashamed to admit).

Anyway sorry for the rant, I just want to share this 'historic' moment in my life with all of you. If anyone has any tips that will help this tropical city dude survive the Camino, please please do share!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen Camino! Once you are on the Way and taking one step after the other, you'll be fine! The way the world is right now, getting there is the nerve-wracking adventure. May it all go smoothly!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
teeranaic,
Welcome to the Forum.

Be sure to read this earlier thread
on winter walking in general .

In earlier happier times I often walked the Camino Frances in winter. Of course the weather is never the same but the basic route has not changed. Difficult CF stretches after storms might be across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca, Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada as well as Monte Irago and, of course, to and from O Cebreiro.

For any winter camino I stress this bit of info re: carrying food supplies.
Wherever you walk in winter
you must be prepared!

Good luck and please do let all your forum readers know how you are progressing. I look forward to reading /seeing any posts/photos that you wish to share.

Stay safe and warm. Buen camino

Last edited:
Welcome teeranaic! I always enjoy reading about others stepping out and finally doing it. I planned and read about it for 5 years before finally making it happen. I plan to come do a similar segment next autumn from Ponferrada to Santiago just to relive it a bit.

I know little about doing Camino in winter but there are many experts on this forum who can help in that regard. Unlike you, I live in a very cold winter climate (the temp here two days ago was -34C) and can tell you that dealing with cold is all about having the right clothes. Do your research and make sure you are dressed right, high quality clothes, jacket and legwear. Keep your head and hands warm. You may find mittens are better for walking.

The good part about that section is that towns are plentious and close, so with just a few exceptions you will never be far away from a place to stop.

Have a great time!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you have time and energy while you are on the Camino please let us know how it is!

You can bookmark this site with a list of albergues that are open in winter. It is also recommended that you contact them a day ahead to be sure.

Thank you so much everyone!!

I'd need merino wool socks as well, yes? Seen them recommended few times, so I think I'll buy them in Madrid when I arrive.

As the title says, it's gonna be my first Camino ever.

I've heard of the Camino since when I was studying history in college (that was about 2008-2009) but I could never commit to it. I told myself I'd do it after I start working and saving enough money, but when I did have a job and money, I never had the time. I'm sure it's a tale as old as time on this forum.... You won't believe how many times I browsed through the threads here, planning to go, only to postpone it again and again.

Until now. I just quit my job on New Year's Eve. Now I have no more excuse not to go. I'll be starting my Camino from either Samos or Triacastela on Saturday. Yes, it's gonna be just a short stretch compared to the whole route, but to be honest with you, I'm excited as much as nervous about it.

A bit about myself: I'm from Thailand, so the journey across the Eurasian continent is gonna be a thrilling experience itself for me... I can't shake off this irrational fear that something would go wrong with my documents and the Spanish immigration won't let me in. Or maybe the border would be closed at the last minute. Well, I'm not turning back now so I'll find out in 48 hours from now. My flight leaves Bangkok at 1am on Thursday.

As you can imagine, I'm from a tropical country, so trekking across countryside in heart of Galician winter is definitely a daunting experience to me, to say the least. To give you some perspective, it was 29 C today in Bangkok. I can't imagine how 'shocked' my body would be. I've never done this sort of hiking either (I've been a very protected city dweller all my life, I'm ashamed to admit).

Anyway sorry for the rant, I just want to share this 'historic' moment in my life with all of you. If anyone has any tips that will help this tropical city dude survive the Camino, please please do share!!

Just have a blessed and wonderful and miraculous great time.

Buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I'd need merino wool socks as well, yes? Seen them recommended few times, so I think I'll buy them in Madrid when I arrive.
Merino wool socks are good. Many people swear by them. I sometimes wear them, but I usually wear WrightSocks double layer socks.

Welcome, as everyone has said. On the point of Merino wool socks, yes - at least speaking from my own experience, if you can afford them they are an investment. Looking forward to your reports, fingers crossed all will go to plan.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have a safe journey and Buen Camino! And yes, be sure to contact albergues the day before to make sure they'll be open. Many place have closed down for winter, but on the Camino Frances you'll have a better chance of finding things open than on other routes. :)

Have a safe journey and Buen Camino! And yes, be sure to contact albergues the day before to make sure they'll be open. Many place have closed down for winter, but on the Camino Frances you'll have a better chance of finding things open than on other routes. :)

Already booked my stay! I opt for private rooms in pensions and albergues for my first Camino walk, partly because I want to spare fellow godfearing pilgrims from my devilish snores.... 😵

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wear Wigwam ankle socks that are an acrylic blend. They are thick and cushy and I have several pairs that I wear on the Camino and when walking at home; they do not wear out! I also have a wool pair of Darn Tough ankle socks after hearing good things about them on the forum, including the free replacement guarantee. They are also thick and cushy, but a bit scratchy and in moderate outdoor temperatures I find them too hot on my feet. I enjoy Smartwool socks if choosing a thick wool sock in cold weather.

Yes. Good socks of high quality and shoes or boots that are well broken in and fit you perfectly. Again, many pointers on the forum.

Also, one last piece of advice. Listen to your body. If you are tired or hurting, stop and rest. Dont push to meet some schedule. Most of the people I saw having to quit did so because they pushed too hard, especially at the beginning. Be willing to let the Camino tell you what you should do about pace and distance. Have a plan, but be willing to be flexible, even if it means changing some of your reservations.

Have an amazing time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
UPDATE: I have landed in Madrid! Amazing weather. I hope i'll get to see more sunny days like this on the Camino!

Getting past the immigration was wayyy smoother than I thought. They just asked to scan my SpTh (health control form) app then asked me how many days in Spain, the purpose of my visit etc. I actually answered "the Camino" for the latter query, and the gentleman replied, "Very great. Buen Camino."

What a great way to arrive in Spain!

The joy is sadly soured by some bad news though. I just learned right before I left bangkok that my sister in law was diagnosed with some rare blood cell cancer... and honestly the odds arent great. Realistically we are hoping for a peaceful passing for her at this point. My aunt, who relayed me the news, also asked me to keep my sister in law in prayers on the Camino.

And just like that, my first Camino just took a morbid turn lol. Sigh thats how life lotteries work out sometimes i suppose.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I have landed in Madrid! Amazing weather. I hope i'll get to see more sunny days like this on the Camino!

Getting past the immigration was wayyy smoother than I thought. They just asked to scan my SpTh (health control form) app then asked me how many days in Spain, the purpose of my visit etc. I actually answered "the Camino" for the latter query, and the gentleman replied, "Very great. Buen Camino."

The joy is sadly soured by some bad news though. I just learned right before I left bangkok that my sister in law was diagnosed with some rare blood cell cancer... and honestly the odds arent great. Realistically we are hoping for a peaceful passing for her at this point. My aunt, who relayed me the news, also asked me to keep my sister in law in prayers on the Camino.

And just like that, my first Camino just took a morbid turn lol. Sigh thats how life lotteries work out sometimes i suppose.
Buen Camino! Keep your heart open and your feet moving. Please keep writing updates (if you feel to) as my Camino Francés was interrupted at Burgos and I would like to continue in the near future.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

The Camino provides lots of time for prayer and reflection. I pray that your walking conveys peace and healing comfort for you, your sister in law and family back home.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Best advice from above = “Also, one last piece of advice. Listen to your body. If you are tired or hurting, stop and rest. Dont push to meet some schedule” don’t fixate on all those ‘stage’ edicts… Be prepared! Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.