• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'll Push You

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
I'm finding time while here as a hospitalera in Zamora to read a couple of books. The best by far is "I'll Push You" by Patrick Gray and Justin Skeesuck. Phil and I are from Boise, Idaho, and these two pilgrims are also from the Boise area. We already knew about their journey as they have done several speaking gigs in Boise (including a TED talk which is already located on the forum here somewhere). Justin has a progressive neuromuscular disease and his best friend, Patrick Gray, agreed to push him on the Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago.

Phil and I saw the movie in Boise in November and I have to say as good as that was, that the book is even better. Although the Camino Frances is the setting for the journey, the book itself is more about accepting human frailty as a strength instead of a weakness. I've had to put down the Kindle several times to wipe tears of laughter and also tears of pain and sadness just from reading about the individual and collective journeys these two are making through not only the CF, but also through life. Patrick although physically strong is identifying his own vulnerabilities and Justin who is completely dependent on others is embracing his and turning them into strengths.

I bought the book a few days ago and will finish it tonight. I also bought the movie on Amazon so Phil and I can watch it again and again. The book contains so much more about the characters, their preparations for the journey and what made it possible for them to even get to France. The documentary movie is wonderful and the filmmakers did an excellent job. I am hopeful that the film version I purchased also contains some of the "extras" that we saw in Boise last month both before and after the actual movie was shown. They are totally worth it as well.

If you want to curl up with a good book or watch a good movie this Christmas weekend, I recommend one or both options.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I read their book cover to cover (if you can say that about an e-book) on a long plane ride last month. And also wiped tears of laughter, pain, and sadness from my eyes.

I was out of the country when the movie had its one-day run in the States. And I was not able to convince any of my friends or family to go. My DVD arrived yesterday, though, and I'm looking forward to watching it over the Christmas holidays. Hopefully I'll get others will join me.

It's quite a story.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I saw this movie with my fellow Chicago area peregrinos at the theater when it came out. I loved the story, and had been in touch with Patrick several times before we viewed the film.

My only criticism -- and a small one at that -- was that the film appeared to be captured from either a body cam, or a camera held by someone who was walking as well, and the "shakiness" of the film was distracting at times.

Having said that, I would be happy to see this again.

Bright blessings to all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm finding time while here as a hospitalera in Zamora to read a couple of books. The best by far is "I'll Push You" by Patrick Gray and Justin Skeesuck. Phil and I are from Boise, Idaho, and these two pilgrims are also from the Boise area. We already knew about their journey as they have done several speaking gigs in Boise (including a TED talk which is already located on the forum here somewhere). Justin has a progressive neuromuscular disease and his best friend, Patrick Gray, agreed to push him on the Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago.

Phil and I saw the movie in Boise in November and I have to say as good as that was, that the book is even better. Although the Camino Frances is the setting for the journey, the book itself is more about accepting human frailty as a strength instead of a weakness. I've had to put down the Kindle several times to wipe tears of laughter and also tears of pain and sadness just from reading about the individual and collective journeys these two are making through not only the CF, but also through life. Patrick although physically strong is identifying his own vulnerabilities and Justin who is completely dependent on others is embracing his and turning them into strengths.

I bought the book a few days ago and will finish it tonight. I also bought the movie on Amazon so Phil and I can watch it again and again. The book contains so much more about the characters, their preparations for the journey and what made it possible for them to even get to France. The documentary movie is wonderful and the filmmakers did an excellent job. I am hopeful that the film version I purchased also contains some of the "extras" that we saw in Boise last month both before and after the actual movie was shown. They are totally worth it as well.

If you want to curl up with a good book or watch a good movie this Christmas weekend, I recommend one or both options.
I have the audio book. Excellent! Made me want to do it even more .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thank you for posting your comments. I have just read the book. I am not sure I could cope with the film. It is humbling to read, and to be confronted with a mirror of myself in contrast to the brutal honesty depicted in the story. A true story. A gift. A tale of real love in action. Of course, if I do get a chance, I know I will watch the film...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for posting your comments. I have just read the book. I am not sure I could cope with the film. It is humbling to read, and to be confronted with a mirror of myself in contrast to the brutal honesty depicted in the story. A true story. A gift. A tale of real love in action. Of course, if I do get a chance, I know I will watch the film...

The movie is very good, but you don't get as much detail about Justin and Patrick's past lives as you do with the book. For example, I remember thinking after the movie that I knew Patrick was a healthcare worker, but I did not know until I ready the book that he was a nurse. I think they are showing the movie this year at the American Pilgrims on the Camino annual gathering.

Yes, films generally focus on specific parts of a book that suit the medium... nice of you to mention the showing. I think it would be just a shade expensive for me... living in Dublin as I do! And before signing off, just let me say again how much I enjoyed your accounts of your hospitalero duties.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wanted to bring this book back to the top of the posts. Such a wonderful read. The movie is good, but the book is even better.
I agree, the book is better. I actually highlighted several parts of it. I have loaned my copy and given the book as gifts. We will be starting our first Camino April 11 or 12th.. We are from Boise as well- Eagle actually :)

I agree, the book is better. I actually highlighted several parts of it. I have loaned my copy and given the book as gifts. We will be starting our first Camino April 11 or 12th.. We are from Boise as well- Eagle actually :)
Great! Lots of us from this area who have walked. It makes the movie and book special to us because the authors are local, too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back