• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'll Push You

mcintyre

Time of past OR future Camino
(2019) Camino Frances by wheelchair
Hi all, I finished listening to the audiobook of I'll Push You (read by the authors!) this morning and can't wait to see the film now. I am wondering though if I'd be able to make it on my own - in the book there are stretches where they describe about needing a dozen people to help get over obstacles - have I underestimated this or perhaps over-estimated my abilities?

Well there's only one way to find out eh!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen camino! No one completes the camino without the help and support of others. I am so grateful to everyone who supported me with kind looks, words and deeds. I hope you find the support you need too when the moment comes.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think a lot would depend on the time of year you are considering. I would imagine in the hard-packed ground during the heat of summer would be the ‘easiest’ because the thick, sticky mud (and snow) of late fall through late spring would be a killer. Then there is probably about 3-4% of the trail that are rocky trails that I’m not sure how a person would navigate on their own in a wheelchair (up and down Alto del Perdón, Rabanal del Camino to Molinaseca, up and down O’Cebriero to name a few stretches). There a bike routes for all those stretches however and absolutely nothing ties you to navigating along the same set of trails as anyone else. I hope you will take on the challenge! Buen Camino!

Hi all, I finished listening to the audiobook of I'll Push You (read by the authors!) this morning and can't wait to see the film now. I am wondering though if I'd be able to make it on my own - in the book there are stretches where they describe about needing a dozen people to help get over obstacles - have I underestimated this or perhaps over-estimated my abilities?

Hi, mcintyre...

Without knowing your full capabilities, there are some really challenging places on the route. Thinking about it, the more mobile one is on those sections it seems that the better the ability to deal with them by oneself.

But there are usually alternatives and plan B's which can be employed. My philosophy for dealing with the kind of unknown you are planning for is that it is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

So to me in trying to imagine being in the same circumstances, I would be thinking what I would do if I reached a section beyond my realistic capabilities to handle. What would acceptable alternatives be? Would I try to enlist volunteers to help me along the way? Would I take transportation to the next nearest access to the Camino after the detour around? I don't know because I don't share you situation; I do know that if I were at a point on Camino where you were, and I saw you having a difficult time, I wouldn't hesitate two seconds to do what I could to help and to recruit others nearby to lend a hand if needed.

It takes guts and grit to face the unknown, mcintyre; you don't seem to be short on either. What you face as concerns about Camino makes a lot of other concerns I read here seem anemic by comparison. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you plan your pilgrimage, my friend.

When are you headed to Camino, and where are you starting from? I don't recall from previous posts what you have told us.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My recommendation is to make a donation and get the "I'll Push You" video. I believe it will greatly help to inform you. Then, should you be as incapacitated as the individual in the documentary, the real difficulty is getting some friends who will help you...the documentary highlights how very, very difficult it was for the guy who did the lion's share of the helping.

Good luck. And glad I made the donation.

Tom

Hola, @mcintyre

You can contact me anytime (through PMs on this forum or e-mail) and I will be glad to help you. If not in person I can do it with my knowledge about Camino(s). But anyway go for it!!!

If you haven't seen it the topic was already discussed on this forum. Just put "push you" in search box and it should offer you a hit.

Have a nice day and stay brave!

B.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I can tell you, that getting the bonus DVD to the film really is worth it. Among other things you'll get the the amazing story of one of the girls that helps pushing. And the film of course really is something else.

@mcintyre, I'm the one who mentioned "I'll Push You" in response to your original post. Others have given a lot of good advice, and realistically I agree it would be practically impossible for a person confined to a wheelchair to do it totally on their own. But the plus side is, with a little bit of help, choosing alternative routes and taxi rides around the really rough stretches, utilizing services such as Jacotrans to transport your bags, it becomes a much less daunting task. If you haven't seen the trailer for the DVD, look at
for an idea of what a few of the tough parts are like. And as someone else mentioned, the season you choose makes a difference, especially regarding rain and mud, which are two of the major obstacles. My wife and I walked the Camino Francés in mid-August through late September in 2013 and never experienced any rain other than a couple of sprinkles the entire way until we reached Santiago, where it began to rain in earnest for several days.

I'm not sure where you are, but if you're in a major city in the US, try to hook up with a local chapter of the American Pilgrims on the Camino at http://www.americanpilgrims.org/local-chapters and find some Camino veterans who can advise you on trail conditions and the practicalities of the journey itself. If you're not in the US, there are similar organizations in many other countries, such as the Confraternity of St James in the UK or the Canadian Company of Pilgrims in Canada.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@mcintyre, I'm the one who mentioned "I'll Push You" in response to your original post. Others have given a lot of good advice, and realistically I agree it would be practically impossible for a person confined to a wheelchair to do it totally on their own. But the plus side is, with a little bit of help, choosing alternative routes and taxi rides around the really rough stretches, utilizing services such as Jacotrans to transport your bags, it becomes a much less daunting task. If you haven't seen the trailer for the DVD, look at
for an idea of what a few of the tough parts are like. And as someone else mentioned, the season you choose makes a difference, especially regarding rain and mud, which are two of the major obstacles. My wife and I walked the Camino Francés in mid-August through late September in 2013 and never experienced any rain other than a couple of sprinkles the entire way until we reached Santiago, where it began to rain in earnest for several days.

I'm not sure where you are, but if you're in a major city in the US, try to hook up with a local chapter of the American Pilgrims on the Camino at http://www.americanpilgrims.org/local-chapters and find some Camino veterans who can advise you on trail conditions and the practicalities of the journey itself. If you're not in the US, there are similar organizations in many other countries, such as the Confraternity of St James in the UK or the Canadian Company of Pilgrims in Canada.

Well stated and great advice, JM. :)

Clearly it is possible for you to make a Camino. It will be your Camino. Given accessibility issues, I don’t think doing it on your own is in the cards. There may be stretches you need to bypass via taxis. But it will still be your Camino. Make it your Camino and you can make it! I will never dissuade anyone from making a Camino if they have the desire burning within them.

That brought tears to my eyes .... and then laughter .. “Seriously dude, it’s time to walk” .... then more tears. So beautiful ... such love ....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am wondering though if I'd be able to make it on my own
I am a terrible judge of what you can do. I walked several weeks with Luis who had only one leg, having lost one in a car accident at age 18 over twenty years earlier. He moved faster than me on his Canadian crutches, and went from SJPdP to Fisterra. If ever I had an attitude about what someone "can" do, he would have dispelled it. Only you what you and your motivation are.

There is road available for the entire distance from Sarria to Santiago that avoids rough terrain (many of us wish bicycles would use those roads :)). Some of the grades are steepish, and may meander a bit from the more direct pedestrian route. From the Santiago airport to the cathedral, there are roads around the substantial hill of the marked route. With visibility aids, which are required by law in Spain, you can safely use roads. Companions are the best thing about the Camino (joined by caldo gallego and pulpo), so having them is a good idea regardless of your capability, and they can always be a backstop against the potential for hubris in demanding more from yourself than you prudently should. Buen camino.

I saw the movie and did the Napolean route two weeks ago. It was rainy, muddy, rocky, etc but very doable.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to assist a small group of physically impaired people from Sarria to Santiago. We were "caracoles" (snails), averaging 7 kms a day. As Falcon269 mentions, certain parts of the trail have to be circumvented. A public organization in A Coruña publishes a "recorrido para minusvalidos" (Spanish only) with exhaustive information concerning the facilities along the trail.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I plan to make my pilgrimage next year, possibly setting off around May time and travelling from St Jean to Santiago. I would like to use the "proper" routes but realise this may not always be possible.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are indeed many places which would create significant obstacles. :(:(
And many of the tracks would be tough to negotiate.

I have not read the book, but it must have been a significant challenge.

Perhaps you could avoid the stages that would be problematic and use roads?

Hi , you have to read it , it's overwhelming .

Wish you well , Peter .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow just finished watching the film and must confess to having tears in my eyes at the end. I think it helped that I'd listened to the audiobook first as that gives you a lot more of the background and feelings etc.

Wow just finished watching the film and must confess to having tears in my eyes at the end. I think it helped that I'd listened to the audiobook first as that gives you a lot more of the background and feelings etc.

Well it is often said that a picture is worth a 1000 words...so I it is likely being able to visualize their experience, joy and challenges, will significantly assist you in planning your camino. I do think there are many pilgrims who might be able to assist you so dopost when you are clear about when you decide to go.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I bought the video and watched it online last night.
Indeed an amazing journey by amazing people.
And I would have to say a somewhat unique bond between those 2 guys.
I can't imagine many 'friends' doing what Pat did!

Justin's response to all the assistance was interesting too.
A real lesson in dealing emotionally with such a significant disabilty that I am sure most of us wouldn't be able to do.....

Well worth watching.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back