• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'll walk with you - Sydney siege, Peshawar atrocity

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
It's been a pretty terrible 24 hours.

For those who know me, I sold my barristers chambers above the Lindt Café in Martin Place last year, so was not in the building yesterday. However my colleagues were, and although all from my chambers managed to get out, we are terribly saddened at the death of Katrina Dawson, one of our own, one of the best and brightest barristers of her generation, a mother, wife, sister and daughter. We also grieve for Toni Johnson, who frequently served us coffee with grace and humour.

Camino prayers are powerful. Please, those of you on Camino, as you place your tired and sore feet upon that sacred ground, think of three motherless children in Sydney. Think also of the many parents in Peshawar who suffered the anguish of lost children yesterday. If you believe in prayer, be grateful that it is something you can do.

Sydneysiders are taking up the cry "I'll ride with you" in opposition to revenge attacks and nasty remarks to Muslims travelling on public transport. I think it is the most beautiful thing to come out of something so horrible. The Camino response, I suggest, is "I'll walk with you". Let's do it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Also, can I just say, I think we have a choice not to let this become a political or religious debate. If you are not a fan of her post, the respectful thing to do would be to move on and not comment. We have a choice to not engage in debate or speak ill of a religious group.

Kanga is expressing her grief and finding comfort in solidarity with her Camino community. I think we can all appreciate that, even if you don't agree with the sentiment.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"I'll ride with you" has nothing to do with beliefs or politics. It makes no comment about the beliefs of the people involved. It is purely humanitarian. It simply says "we do not tolerate bigotry, prejudice, fanaticism or extremism; we are bound together by our common bonds of community, love and decency".

I probably need to explain the circumstances and concept better. A young woman wearing a headscarf was riding in a bus in Sydney yesterday, during the siege. No-where near the seige, nothing to do with the seige, just an ordinary person, probably on her way to work.

Someone in the bus started making horrible, aggressive, belittling and nasty comments to her, simply because she was wearing a scarf.

She got off the bus immediately, hurriedly pulling off her scarf.

A fellow passenger, another young woman, a complete stranger, ran after her saying "put it back on, I'll ride with you". The woman burst into tears and embraced her, then walked away.

The woman who had said "I'll ride with you", posted the story on Facebook. It got taken up, and the result was thousands of Sydneysiders twitting and posting, giving details of the public transport they are taking and offering "I'll ride with you".

I myself do not like the head-scarf, but nor will I tolerate prejudice and aggression towards those who choose to wear one. Or a Crucifix, or a Star of David. It does not mean I share any of those beliefs.

Last edited:
...the respectful thing to do would be to move on and not comment.
The respectful thing to do is to speak up against such terrible incidents in the name of religion.

We have a choice to not engage in debate or speak ill of a religious group.
We also have a choice to say "No" to wrongdoings in the name of any religion. Last word.

Last edited:
I will shut up now, I'm very much out of line with forum rules. Delete the thread if you think it right @ivar

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But all in all, I think we can conclude that there are people out there, who in the name of God, think it is a good idea to kill children for their course. I do NOT agree with them.

Last edited:
Kanga, I used to have an office next to the Australian Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia. One day after I left someone tried to bomb that embassy, but was stopped on the street and only managed to blow out all the windows in my old office.

None of my friends were seriously hurt, but some of them were cut by glass, and all of them shaken up by the incident. They were all, incidentally, good practicing Muslims who did not in any way bear any responsibility for the state of affairs leading to the attack. I would walk with them any day.

Glad to hear you are OK and my condolences for your loss.

Newf.

Hi Kanga/Jill - yes its been a very trying 36 hours for the people of Sydney and a very very sad Christmas for Katrina and Tori's families. I am not of the opinion that the man responsible was truly representing Islam. From what I have seen of him on our TV news and in the papers he was only driving to serve his own opinions. Like you I am not strongly in favour of any religion that requires its members/followers to adopt a certain dress code. From what I have read the actual requirement is for both women AND men to dress modestly.
I don't follow twitter all that much but am impressed that my fellow Australians will support a women's right to wear her hijab and not feel threatened.
Prayers and thoughts with you and the families of Katrina and Tori. Happy Christmas and maybe will see at January meeting of Sydney Pilgrims.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"I'll walk/ride with you" strikes a powerful emotional chord because it transcends all our differences and cuts straight to our humanity. It's not about religion, culture, race or creed. It's about being human and doing the right thing in a time of crisis.

Odious violence and senseless acts can breed odious xenophobia, bigotry and racism. But it can also bring out our true humanity, our social, compassionate nature.

There are venues for socio-political analyses of the root causes of these types of tragedies, but I don't think this forum is such a venue. And I see no attempt at such an analysis in the OP.

Kanga, I think your compassion on this issue is more than welcome and appreciated here, and I hope fellow forum members feel the same. Thanks for sharing.

Having been in my car opposite the Pentagon, on the way into my office on September 11, 2001 at the moment the plane hit the building, I can emphasize with everything Kanga writes. I felt the compression wave from the blast. It rocked my car. I saw the oily black fireball.

Kanga, know that you and your countrymen - all of them - are in our thoughts and prayers. The healing process from an atrocity such as this takes time and effort. I am still working on it 13 years on.

The closer you were to someone involved directly, as you knew at least one of the victims, makes it all that more personal to you. One of the passengers on the plane flown into the Pentagon that day was a fellow church parishioner of mine. I knew her to exchange greetings, but not well. Still, that is often connection enough. Plus, just witnessing the event first-hand leaves a lifelong stamp on your psyche and heart.

Be good to yourself. Take care of yourself. Be gentle, forgiving and accommodating. I am following the #I'll ride with you campaign here. While we all abhor the vile act committed, we all can understand that not all persons are guilty just by association.

I've long believed that Australians are the most similar folks to Americans in so many ways. When I am on Camino, I find you all so refreshing and friendly, sort of an improved version of us. The reaction to this unfortunate experience confirms that belief. We will get through this...together.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Kanga,
I want to apologize to you for being harsh earlier. I fully support you. Coming from a small country that experienced the most horrific terror, created by one of our own, a Norw., I find it hard/impossible to understand such cruelty that has recently happened. It gives the directions of my mind. But I fully agree with you that embracing others and doing good is the best way to fight evil in its different forms. It is a hard task for haters to fight goodness.

As on the Camino, most people in this world are filled with good, luckily, and good will win..

Last edited:
Kanga -- this world is so small. My husband and I were shocked by the siege in Sidney and saddened by the loss of life. Your post is just another connection. We will be praying for you and your friends and colleagues. The ride with Me campaign exemplifies the best we have to give in the face of irrational violence. Thanks for sharing. Liz

Also, can I just say, I think we have a choice not to let this become a political or religious debate. If you are not a fan of her post, the respectful thing to do would be to move on and not comment. We have a choice to not engage in debate or speak ill of a religious group.

Kanga is expressing her grief and finding comfort in solidarity with her Camino community. I think we can all appreciate that, even if you don't agree with the sentiment.
A great response and thankyou...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This thread illustrates what is best about the Camino. Many of us have never met one another. Yet, we are all joined in the same humanity. We do not have to agree on every issue. But, we are all brothers and sisters of the Camino.

In my observation and experience, that is one of the single best "takeaways" from the entire experience. If you have done one or more Caminos you will understand. If you have not done one yet, there is no way I can adequately explain it. Do it for yourself and let the experience transform you. The more time you put into the Camino, the more you will receive in return.

All, I know it that I feel the anguish, anxiety, and pain of every other pilgrim who is experiencing something negative in their lives and in the environment they live it. I can emphasize with all the issues I read about in this forum. The empathy is contained in the "stamp" that doing the Camino places on one's soul and psyche. You do not have to be religious necessarily to feel this way. But I suppose it comes easier to anyone of any faith who is grounded in their faith.

Good is good and does good. Good spreads goodness. Pass it along...

Oh! Kanga! I have only just read this.
My thoughts and prayers are with so many of you - those who have suffered, those who have died and also those who committed the act - they need God's help and guidance as much as - or even more than - us.
As committed walkers, we can all empathise with "I'll walk with you!" and I, for one, am delighted to have seen this on our lovely forum.
I hope, one day, that our paths may cross.
Blessings, Kanga, from Suffolk in England.

I am one of the millions who has no religion. Along with Stalin, PolPot, Hitler, and Gheghis Kahn. People are complicated, outliers will exist in all communities, they will go off the rails, and when there are billions of us, well, some are going to go very badly astray. Sometimes whole communities.

Sadly, I believe these things are inevitable. With so many people in the world. But as this thread shows, people are also great. I am very sorry for your loss Kanga.

The Peshawar Army School. That leaves me speechless. I find it is impossible to get my head around that much grief. :(

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
For those who have followed this story with great empathy (and support for our dear Kanga and especially the families of Katrina and Tori) the family of Katrina have established a foundation in her name (and honour) that will focus on the education of women. If anyone wishes to contribute the following is the web site:
www.thekatrinadawsonfoundation.org (I have just checked and the site is up and running). Cheers and Happy Christmas to all. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.