• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Illy is to Italy, what Delta is to Portugal... what is the ubiquitous coffee brand sold at bars along the Frances?

F

Former member 91017

My title line here rather sums it up.
I’m able to buy Delta coffee where I live, and Illy too (I prefer the Delta, to be honest). I know there is a sort of ubiquitous brand in Spain that we would be served in many places along the way.
Can anyone help me with the brand?
Each coffee has its own distinct ways of being (smell, taste...) and I’m sort of longing for a feeling of chilly autumn mornings punctuated with a coffee had just after sunrise.... with the smell of damp fennel filling the air as we brush past it on pathways...
I have searched all my photos from Spain and, alas, I cannot find a single shot showing the brand of coffee on my cup, or on a sign outside a bar/cafe etc.
Help?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m able to buy Delta coffee where I live, and Illy too (I prefer the Delta, to be honest). I know there is a sort of ubiquitous brand in Spain that we would be served in many places along the way.
Each coffee has its own distinct ways of being (smell, taste...) and I’m sort of longing for a feeling of chilly autumn mornings punctuated with a coffee had just after sunrise.... with the smell of damp fennel filling the air as we brush past it on pathways...
I have searched all my photos from Spain and, alas, I cannot find a single shot showing the brand of coffee on my cup, or on a sign outside a bar/cafe etc.
Help?
Waddya on? It sure don't sound like coffee! :) let me know what speak easies and dens of iniquity sell this wonder brew! us elders like a tonic now and then!
There is a store in St jpdp that sells all manner of coffee but I would rather stand behind a hippy when making such requests lest I be shanghaied off to the nearest Refugio for runaway elder pilgrims!

happy brewing!

samarkand.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks folks. I can't acquire the Candelas brand here, but I searched in the grocery stores online for Spain and realized I was thinking of "Segafredo" -- which is on many tables, signs, chairs, cups and so on -- and I was able to order a pound of it for only a little more than I pay for Delta beans. So we shall see when it arrives if it brings me the taste of the CF.

And for recreating the aromas of the morning walk, I bought some Portuguese fennel tea.

My Spouse has bought me a treadmill for my birthday/xmas... and I am planning to watch the entire "real time" video of the CF, with fennel tea starting in Galicia [to reproduce the morning autumnal fragrance I've experienced thrice there now]. Sadly, I don't think I can get the smell of ripe grapes into my basement... but I can probably find some imported blackberries...

Yes, so far I've only walked in later summer, fall, and early winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For that authentic Cafe con Leche flavour you need to use Long-life milk. Merely pasteurized doesn’t carry that burnt milk / caramelized savor 😉
I can buy that UHT milk here, but the true secret to milk sugars that are slightly sweetened is to heat the milk to exactly 140 deg. F. Colder than that and the sugars don't release, hotter and they become scorched (bitter).

I'm a coffee snob. :)

But this is not a quest for the *best* coffee, or my favourite at-home blend.

It's a quest for a particular smell and flavour that I associate with the CF. I suppose I could go hang out by the local cattle barns just outside town, but I prefer something more palatable -- even though I have hilarious memories of reeking of cow paddies when we arrived at Fonfría in 2018, and then later telling my spouse a few days on that there was "no way in hell I was sleeping at the auberge with the dorm window beside the cattle barn!"

I have bought fennel tea as well, and I brew that, breathe it in, and listen to audio of my pre-dawn walk last year on the CP when I heard an Iberian wolf across the valley near to Mos, just after sunrise.

And I am *immersed* in a whole sensory experience that is very comforting.

The coffee I can drink on my veranda whilst I sit at a restaurant table and chairs similar to those found all along the CF in the piazzas where pilgrims gather for evening meals, and mid-day breaks.... and I've become pretty good at making a tortilla -- but we have to have a minimum 10K morning walk to earn that indulgence.

:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Help?
We're not really coffee people and my preferred poison is a cup of tea, even before my foot hits the ground in the morning

In the summer, when it's hot and warm we do drink coffee(Lavazza) sitting in the garden and "pretend"we're in Spain/Camino...now how sad is that!

And the tortilla...well one Camino, "himself" ate his way across the CF...it was tortilla at every stop and I mean every stop.
Now when my Spanish friend makes him one, I think of that Camino!!

As for the cow pats/dung...having spent many years on a farm, the smell is like perfume to my nostrils

We're not really coffee people and my preferred poison is a cup of tea, even before my foot hits the ground in the morning

In the summer, when it's hot and warm we do drink coffee(Lavazza) sitting in the garden and "pretend"we're in Spain/Camino...now how sad is that!

And the tortilla...well one Camino, "himself" ate his way across the CF...it was tortilla at every stop and I mean every stop.

As for the cow pats/dung...having spent many years on a farm, the smell is like perfume to my nostrils
I can only concur....
As once on camp in the New Forest l called on a dairy and requested a glass of water. This could not be granted, instead I was offered a glass of milk straight from the cow. Warm and creamy and with the aromas of the animals.....nectar.

Nectar for me is a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice on the camino in Spain. I've never had one as delicious in my own country.
Yes! Yes! Yes! One warm day I climbed too fast and despite a water break I was definitely dehydrated, I stopped at every cafe that day and had freshly squeezed OJ at every one that had it! (most of them). It was a magical recuperation. In my journal I refer to it as an OJ day! --)
ps I soooo miss being on the Camino - Sigh!

Yes! Yes! Yes! One warm day I climbed too fast and despite a water break I was definitely dehydrated, I stopped at every cafe that day and had freshly squeezed OJ at every one that had it! (most of them). It was a magical recuperation. In my journal I refer to it as an OJ day! --)
ps I soooo miss being on the Camino - Sigh!
Every cafe I stopped at along the way I'd look to see if they had a big zumo machine on the back counter. Absolutely no bottled OJ for me...no machine, no OJ!

Oh! the orange juice! (and oh, the oranges that fall all over the ground in Portugal!!)....

I have been very fortunate the be able to find a sturdy citrus press, and my local Italian speciality grocer sells 6 pound bags of juice oranges for $6. I can toss the bag in my bridge, and squeeze 3 oranges, getting two perfect servings of chilled, freshly squeezed zumo.

When we were young.... at university, we learned from the Canadian literary giant W.O. Mitchel that smell is the most evocative sense to use in writing, the one most tied to memory... and ever since, I have really paid attention to the use of smell in my own life for the recreation of sensation, perception, and emotion...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For that authentic Cafe con Leche flavour you need to use Long-life milk. Merely pasteurized doesn’t carry that burnt milk / caramelized savor 😉
As I am no coffee ☕️ Aficionado but there is some really good coffee most of the time on the Camino.(Maybe a little better in Portugal and just about everything I put in my mouth is better in France, but I digress l), what is long life milk??

My local grocery store has just recently been selling "ultra-pasteurized" cream that lasts almost two months...my coffee still does not taste like Spain's. It must be my beans...apparently Folger's grounds are no good.😅

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Having been raised in a dairy area in Ontario Canada parts of Galacia are nostalgic. Places where the trail meanders between the house and barn of a farm are particularly redolent. The smell of cow patties rising off of the path and the smell of fermented feed grain wafting out of the barn remind me of my youth.

My local grocery store has just recently been selling "ultra-pasteurized" cream that lasts almost two months...my coffee still does not taste like Spain's. It must be my beans...apparently Folger's grounds are no good.😅
Don't look in the refrigerated section. UHT milk will be on the regular shelves.
Or you can buy online.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ordering a cup of coffee in Portugal is a lot like ordering a cup at a Starbucks—you have an overwhelming number of options. Had I ordered simply a “café,” it would be unequivocally understood that I wanted the standard espresso. In Lisbon, however, an espresso is generally referred to as “um bica,” while in Porto they use the term “um cimbalinho.” Everywhere else in Portugal they seem to settle for the word “café” for ordering espresso. If espresso is too strong for you, then it can be blended with hot water and the drink becomes an “abatanado” in Portugal or a “café Americano” in Spain.

.And café culture in Portugal gets even more complicated: a pingo is milk with a dash of coffee, and a pingado is the espresso with a dash of milk. A galao is like a latte, three-quarters milk and the rest espresso served in a tall glass. I like a meia, or meia de leite, a half espresso and half milk combination. There is a reason why Portuguese coffee has its own particular strong and bitter taste profile.

.For decades, as the country’s coffee-drinking culture was being born, Portugal was economically isolated under the Salazar regime, and coffee was exclusively imported from its largest colony, Brazil. Top quality coffee machines were imported from Italy, but the Portuguese used higher water pressure in their artisanal brewing process. The beans from Brazil were Robusta, and when slow roasted at a low temperature and then blended with Arabica beans, they produced a distinctive coffee taste that is patently Portuguese.

Terry, you are making my head spin. I personally always preferred Spain's "cafe con leche" to any I ordered in Portugal.
I did enjoy the coffee in Paris (with cream of course), but on the Le Puy route, the coffee served in cereal bowls in gites was awful imo. It was lukewarm, flat, and worse than my Folgers back home.
I am not really a conniesseur of good coffee or I would not have Folgers in my cupboard.😄

Last edited:
Ultra-High-Temperature (treated) milk. Has a shelf-life of several months without refrigeration, a special flavour all of its own and, is what is used in the majority of bars & cafes in Spain to make the cafe con leche.
Is it similar to the milk that we buy here in Mexico and I see in Europe that is on the store shelf and and only gets refrigerated after opening? That is the same milk that that Starbucks and Cielo and virtually any coffee shop uses in their lattes and capuchinos etc.
I drink it at home but it took me a while to get used to it. They are also significantly less expensive than milk that the grocery needs to refrigerate. About half the price I think.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So
Terry, you are making my head spin. I personally always preferred Spain's "cafe con leche" to any I ordered in Portugal.
I did enjoy the coffee in Paris (with cream of course), but on the Le Puy route, the coffee served in cereal bowls in gites was awful imo. It was lukewarm, flat, and worse than my Folgers back home.
I am not really a conniesseur of good coffee or I would not have Folgers in my cupboard.😄
rry to hear that you had that in the fires you stayed at. I can only remember that happening to me when I walked La Puy in 2014. Most of the time the coffee was excellent and yes it was served in those cereal bowls. Kind of fun. I have had bad morning coffee fat more often in some albergues that offered those continental breakfasts. Or if it wasn’t Folgers type instant slot of times the coffee was made the night before and left out in one of those metal containers. Not the best. Also have had some wonderful breakfasts on all the different Camino’s I have done. Overall I thought the best Camino coffees I had were on the Portuguese. Consistently good in the bars and generally as with most things a little cheaper than Spain.

You are right about Fogers. Even the Kirkland Costco coffee is far better. I am no coffee maven obviously as that’s my coffee at home. Don’t know if you are in or near a Costco city.

You are right about Fogers. Even the Kirkland Costco coffee is far better. I am no coffee maven obviously as that’s my coffee at home. Don’t know if you are in or near a Costco city.
Unfortunately, I only get to enjoy Costco's Kirkland coffee's when on vacation...it is quite nice.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
At least one response in this thread got the answer – caramelization! The type of coffee is called torrefacto. My understanding is that the beans are sprayed with sugar syrup before they are roasted, which gives them a slight sweetness. This is readily available in the grocery stores. When we come back from Spain now the one thing that we bring is as much for tortefacto coffee as we can cram into the backpacks! One can find it online here in the US but it’s multiple times more expensive than in Spain.

Help?
On my Caminos I saw a lot of bars selling Saimaza which is our preferred Spanish coffee. Old age has rendered me caffeine intolerant so I am delighted to be able to report that Saimaza's de-caff is really tasty too.

Help?
Fortaleza is one brand in Spain, it's good!!
Help?
Help?
Fortaleza is brand in Spain, it's not bad!!

At least one response in this thread got the answer – caramelization! The type of coffee is called torrefacto. My understanding is that the beans are sprayed with sugar syrup before they are roasted, which gives them a slight sweetness. This is readily available in the grocery stores. When we come back from Spain now the one thing that we bring is as much for tortefacto coffee as we can cram into the backpacks! One can find it online here in the US but it’s multiple times more expensive than in Spain.
Everything is more expensive is Denver.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ah Folger's - I seem to remember a TV advert in the 1970s where the wife slapped her husband around the face at breakfast and his response was "Thanks Honey, I needed that!"

This is possibly the reason why . . . .

FOLGERS - MOUNTAIN GROWN

The next time you're in the Pilgrims Office slip upstairs, seek out an Irish nun and ask if she can make you a cup of Barry's Gold Label tea . . . . even with UHT milk it's nectar.

Apparently some of the bigger branches of Sainsbury and Tesco stock it in the UK but personally I have mine smuggled in from Norn Iron. 🍵🍪🍪

The next time you're in the Pilgrims Office slip upstairs, seek out an Irish nun and ask if she can make you a cup of Barry's Gold Label tea . . . . even with UHT milk it's nectar.

Apparently some of the bigger branches of Sainsbury and Tesco stock it in the UK but personally I have mine smuggled in from Norn Iron. 🍵🍪🍪
Tea is tea and coffee is coffee, never the twain shall meet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lots of posts about the coffee and the milk but no mention of the receptacle in which it is served.
We always ask for a "vaso grande" and the closest to that we have found here in the UK is the £1 glass mug from Ikea.

droembild-mug.jpg

Lots of posts about the coffee and the milk but no mention of the receptacle in which it is served.
We always ask for a "vaso grande" and the closest to that we have found is the £1 glass mug from Ikea.

View attachment 87078
Apparently no Ikea mugs in Spain. I just ask for a grande, spread my arms out wide and get the biggest mug they offer.😊

Ah yes Jeff, I know Barry's tea...a bit on the strong side for me
Per capita...the Irish are the biggest drinkers of tea in Europe...maybe Guinness too!!!
An Irish nun......!! I've met a few of those too!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tea is tea and coffee is coffee, never the twain shall meet.
What you have to realise is that pouring a ship load of tea into the chilly water of an east coast harbor is never going to make you a decent "brew" - no wonder the Colonists were revoltin' ;)

Looks like you'll really be having something special to celebrate at Thanksgiving this year (what could he mean?)

Ah yes Jeff, I know Barry's tea...a bit on the strong side for me
Per capita...the Irish are the biggest drinkers of tea in Europe...maybe Guinness too!!!
An Irish nun......!! I've met a few of those too!!

I met one Irish nun but without a doubt the nicest and funniest one :cool:. You know who you are!
And I like Barry's tea! Guinness less so....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How did I manage to miss all this banter? Don’t you love the word ubiquitous? Down to the point of the thread: I have no idea of the brand, if there is a single brand of coffee served. I just remember the delight of drinking many a cafe con leche, in spite of never drinking coffee with milk anywhere else than on the Camino.
Upon reaching the Pilgrim Office after the Ingles, we found our way up to the room where two Irish sisters, one of whom was named Katherine, insisted on giving us a cup of lovely Barry’s tea. It is my intention to send some over for whenever it will be in demand again...
As for nationality - we’re a‘ Jock Tamson’s bairns. Wikipedia will enlighten anyone who cares to peek.

I met one Irish nun but without a doubt the nicest and funniest one :cool:. You know who you are!
And I like Barry's tea! Guinness less so....
I know who you mean....I've met her too and agree with you!
She should be around here somewhere!!

The Guinness....it really is good for you....contains iron....not too much though so every sip counts!!
Barry's tea is so strong you could trot a horse on it so they say

Ordering a cup of coffee in Portugal is a lot like ordering a cup at a Starbucks—you have an overwhelming number of options. Had I ordered simply a “café,” it would be unequivocally understood that I wanted the standard espresso. In Lisbon, however, an espresso is generally referred to as “um bica,” while in Porto they use the term “um cimbalinho.” Everywhere else in Portugal they seem to settle for the word “café” for ordering espresso. If espresso is too strong for you, then it can be blended with hot water and the drink becomes an “abatanado” in Portugal or a “café Americano” in Spain.

.And café culture in Portugal gets even more complicated: a pingo is milk with a dash of coffee, and a pingado is the espresso with a dash of milk. A galao is like a latte, three-quarters milk and the rest espresso served in a tall glass. I like a meia, or meia de leite, a half espresso and half milk combination. There is a reason why Portuguese coffee has its own particular strong and bitter taste profile.

.For decades, as the country’s coffee-drinking culture was being born, Portugal was economically isolated under the Salazar regime, and coffee was exclusively imported from its largest colony, Brazil. Top quality coffee machines were imported from Italy, but the Portuguese used higher water pressure in their artisanal brewing process. The beans from Brazil were Robusta, and when slow roasted at a low temperature and then blended with Arabica beans, they produced a distinctive coffee taste that is patently Portuguese.
Besides the coffee beans used it is most important on the correct cup one uses. Also preheating the cup is very important. We get our beans from a local roaster who mixes beans from different countries. This makes a wonderful espresso with lots of crema.

Everything is more expensive is Denver.
Not in Denver - online. La Tienda has sold it for a long time and I see that Amazon has a brand. I'm guessing that this won't be found in a retail store anywhere in the US. The online sources are multiple times the cost off the shelf in Spain. // Denver?? Expensive?? Well, not *everything*!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back