• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'm a sandal convert!

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
For the past week I've exclusively worn my Merrell Siren Strap sandals https://www.merrell.com/US/en/siren-strap-q2/28036W.html on the Camino del Norte. They are much more comfortable than the shoes that I brought, and are especially great in the rain. When you walk all day in the rain your feet are going to get wet and muddy, and it's easier and quicker to clean and dry sandals than shoes. I've been wearing socks with them - I just wring out the socks and put them back on when I take a break. Of course, the weather is warm right now. I think that I might have to invest in the waterproof socks that @Kanga has talked about

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can't praise enough my Keen sandals bought in Logrono. It was supposed to be a temporary switch to let my feet rest from my narrow shoes, but it took me by surprise how light and easy it was to walk in them even in rain so I continued wearing them all the way to Santiago. Only time I had to switch back to shoes was at the Cruz de Ferro because it was freezing and I could barely feel my toes. Mind you this was beginning of June so I wouldn't recommend bringing only sandals on the Camino in the colder months.

@trecile

This is good to hear :)

I wear Merrell sandals all the time for my everyday shoes, unless it’s freezing, when I wear boots.
Those most like yours are the Sandspurs. (I also have some Siennas and a pair of their replacement model.)
I would have chosen my teva Terra Fi for my next Camino, but hearing that you’ve found your Merrells comfortable and sufficiently robust has made me think again :)

Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tevas for me. Wool socks most of the way. Waterproof socks for Galician paths shared with cattle.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Another sandal fan. Keens, Lunas, Bedrocks and Merrells-all have been sturdy enough to do the Camino. Can't say enough about the benefits.

I'm not a sandals fan. I can't be because I didn't try them ;)
But what about the soles? How fast they loose their profile and grip?
I walked in my mid-cut Salomon boots on three Caminos (approx. 2500km) and they are still OK for another flat Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For the past week I've exclusively worn my Merrell Siren Strap sandals https://www.merrell.com/US/en/siren-strap-q2/28036W.html on the Camino del Norte. They are much more comfortable than the shoes that I brought, and are especially great in the rain. When you walk all day in the rain your feet are going to get wet and muddy, and it's easier and quicker to clean and dry sandals than shoes. I've been wearing socks with them - I just wring out the socks and put them back on when I take a break. Of course, the weather is warm right now. I think that I might have to invest in the waterproof socks that @Kanga has talked about
I love walking in good sandals.

I walked in my mid-cut Salomon boots on three Caminos (approx. 2500km) and they are still OK for another flat Camino.

WP_20141023_005.jpg
A bin in Santiago after 960km of VDLP and the sandals were far from new when I set out.

Of all the choices a pilgrim has for what goes in the pack, I can't imagine a better one than a pair of walking sandals. Mine were Keens, but it doesn't matter. Whichever works for you. I firmly believe that having sandals and a pair of walking shoes (mine were Merrills) is the reason that I did SJPdP to SdC with not even one blister. Half a Camino in each.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wore Quechua sandals (looked like tevas) with athletic socks my for 95% of my camino that I bought as a last-minute item in Bordeaux. Initially, I wore normal sized boots and thought I'd wear sandals in the flat areas but I switched to sandals in Pamplona when my feet swelled so much that I started developing what felt like the initial stages of a stress fracture in my right foot (redness, tenderness, acute pain to touch). After switching, the tenderness and pain disappeared within a day. After I finished my camino, wearing shoes felt like strapping pillows to my feet.
TL;DR Sandals/Socks, ftw!!!

Tevas with Injinji socks. Waterproof Sealskinz socks over my Injinjis during the worst of the cold and wet weather. Worked for me!

Keen sandals are really good to walk in. I don’t wear socks with mine. I am considering wearing them for a six day walk soon, but will probably have the first section of the day with my very comfortable boots, and then switch, depending on the rain...
I’ve done two Camino in Keen sandals- I wear Smartwool socks; you can buy them in different weights (cushion) which is nice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've been walking through lots of rain and mud the last couple of days. Sandals are sooo much easier to clean and dry!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have some Merrell sandals that I have tried using on short walks here at home, but they have a few different places where velcro is used to make them adjustable, but the velcro very easily comes undone which is annoying. They haven't had much use but this velcro situation makes it unlikely I would take this pair on the Camino. I was thinking some of the 100% synthetic Birkenstocks might do as an afternoon/evening shoe in June, as they can manage wet conditions. I can attach them to the outisde of my backpack too with some great caribiners I bought (though will this drive me crazy as I walk?) Opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_0189.JPG
    IMG_0189.JPG
    571.8 KB · Views: 27
I have some Merrell sandals that I have tried using on short walks here at home, but they have a few different places where velcro is used to make them adjustable, but the velcro very easily comes undone which is annoying. They haven't had much use but this velcro situation makes it unlikely I would take this pair on the Camino. I was thinking some of the 100% synthetic Birkenstocks might do as an afternoon/evening shoe in June, as they can manage wet conditions. I can attach them to the outisde of my backpack too with some great caribiners I bought (though will this drive me crazy as I walk?) Opinions?
I guess you are first-timer. I suggest you try walking in your boots/shoes and only then after 10 or so days try sandals if you feel boots/shoes are not working for you.

Bottom line: this thread isn't "way to do it" thread!!!

And Buen Camino!

I guess you are first-timer. I suggest you try walking in your boots/shoes and only then after 10 or so days try sandals if you feel boots/shoes are not working for you.

And Buen Camino!
Absolutely. The sandals that I'm using are the same model that I wore daily during a 6+ week trip to Guatemala, including several hikes on difficult terrain, so I knew that they would work for me long term.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I also converted another peregrina to sandals. She was grimacing as she was putting on her boots on blistered feet. I saw a pair of Teva sandals in her pack. I told her to put them on, and not wear the boots until her feet healed. By the time she arrived in Santiago the boots had been shipped home. :)
She told me that she would ever walk another camino in boots or shoes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My daughter was checking out Camino photos recently to get an idea of clothes to pack on the Vdlp, she couldn't stop laughing at all the socks and sandles pics. I forgot that we walked most of the way in these, after the mistake of taking boots on our first CF we now use walking shoes for the wet and sandles for long stretches or hot as they keep your feet cool and prevent blisters. Small stones can be a pain, but socks stop this. Would also recommend selecting those. That have a covered toe top... Saves from stubbed toes on rocks.

And Buen Camino!

The assumption here is that shoes or boots are the accepted norm or the sensible way to do it, and sandals are for outliers.

With all due respect to KinkyOne I’d like to suggest to the first timer: try walking in your sandals (10 or so days - and better still if those days are done at home), and then if they’re not working for you, upgrade to shoes/trail runners...and eventually boots, if the shoes don’t work.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The assumption here is that shoes or boots are the accepted norm or the sensible way to do it, and sandals are for outliers.

With all due respect to KinkyOne I’d like to suggest to the first timer: try walking in your sandals (10 or so days - and better still if those days are done at home), and then if they’re not working for you, upgrade to shoes/trail runners...and eventually boots, if the shoes don’t work.
:D:D:D

Nice touch(down)! ;)

Last edited:
Tevas with Injinji socks. Waterproof Sealskinz socks over my Injinjis during the worst of the cold and wet weather. Worked for me!
Exactly the same here. Teva Tirra in my case. I also use a pair of wool socks with medium or thick couching if it is a lot of road walking then the feet get less tired.

Teva Tirra has one disadvantage and that is that the heal "Chock absorber" will collapse after ~360 km they are still useful and comfortable but not "a cloud" to walk on anymore. I actually bring 1 extra pair that I use in albergues and midways I swap the pairs and then have another 360 km on clouds again.

If those were available where I live I'd grab them in a flash. I do have a pair of Merrel trail runner that I got in a flea market in Tunisia. Very comfortable and will wear those- but I'd love some comfy sandals. Anyone know if they might be available in Le Puy?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not a sandal person but everybody to thier own. My trusty lightweigt boot works for me. Same weight as treeking shoe of same brand. Over 15000km i worn out 6 pair of boots always with wool socks. Same pair of socks for 3 years and No Blisters. What works for one person will cripple somebody else. Walking 1000km with backpack and walking 100km. Also wet feet means cold feet and likely chest infection. Go into any albergue and see how many chest infection head colds heading chemist or Doctor. Live and let live buen camino

Depends: my first TEVA hurricane survied 1600 km, whereas the theoritecally superior Terra Fi did not let me finish 600 km, and the last 200 were done with a hole in the rubber sole that left a metal plate exposed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Depends: my first TEVA hurricane survied 1600 km, whereas the theoritecally superior Terra Fi did not let me finish 600 km, and the last 200 were done with a hole in the rubber sole that left a metal plate exposed.
I think most brands come out with new models/colors to entice us consumers and they usually increase the price. We think we're getting a new and improved better product, but often it is inferior...it's the makers who are getting the better/bigger profit.

Does anyone walk in sandals without socks? I always take my Teva sandals and I have always walked with socks but I did get blisters. This year on my training walks I've been bare feet and teva's and not a problem... no blisters. So I'm thinking that maybe the socks were my problem?

Anyone else walk in sandals with no socks?

Does anyone walk in sandals without socks? I always take my Teva sandals and I have always walked with socks but I did get blisters. This year on my training walks I've been bare feet and teva's and not a problem... no blisters. So I'm thinking that maybe the socks were my problem?

Me. I rarely wear socks with my sandals and I don't get blisters.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Socks are a MUST, for hygiene, protecting the space between toes against intrussive twiglets, every reason! I hever got a single blister with my TEVAS and socks, maybe the socks were too thick or too thin.

€60,-
Socks are a MUST, for hygiene, protecting the space between toes against intrussive twiglets, every reason! I hever got a single blister with my TEVAS and socks, maybe the socks were too thick or too thin.

Ecco , Socks , vaseline .........not one blister the last 6 yrs.

I love sanddals i wear them throughout the summer at home, it really hardens the feet. K just dont like them on the camino because of all gravel on the path, it keeps getting stuck under my feet.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I practically never wear socks with my sandals. I like not having anything squishy when it's raining. I haven't hiked in truly cold weather, but the rest of the time I like air around my feet. I kick out a piece of gravel about once every 1-2 Ks and that's all I have to do; kick it out. I was walking with a guy in boots in June and he mentioned that with my sandals, I must get a lot of debris under my feet. Soon afterward, I came upon him removing his boots and socks to remove pebbles that got in there somehow.

I disagree. Shoes and feet really are entirely individual. Some of us walk happily with minimal sandals, others find supportive boots much more comfortable. Ther is never any "must" about any of it.

I very rarely wear socks with sandals. I don't get blisters, I don't think I've ever had twiglets nor any damage between my toes. I even sometimes walk in huaraches similar to these - except that I've made my own out of an old commercial floor tile cut for the soles and paracord.

Is this a good time to remind sandal wearers (particularly Teva) that leaving fragrant sandals in some water with a denture cleaning tablet works wonders? 😁
And because you can do that they are far easier to clean and deodorise than ordinary shoes. Some sandals absorb more sweat than others too, those with a spongy footbed sometimes get smelly, those with harder footbeds usually don't.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.