• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'm Addicted and...

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
I need help!

I decided I was going to walk the Camino Frances in July following a driving holiday in Northern Spain.

Once I'd decided I was going to walk, my husband told me of a book he'd read by Tim Moore - Spanish Steps... I also discovered there was a film too called The Way.

I know both have been mentioned here many times... so why do I need help? Well since July I've read the book 4 times and I'm just about to start it for the 5th time... and I've watched the film 3 times and last week invested in the DVD which arrived today... so tomorrow I have a feeling I'll be watching that again too.

What should I do? I'm becoming a bit narrow-minded... there must be other great reads that will nourish my Camino needs ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
... there must be other great reads that will nourish my Camino needs ;)
I found "To the field of Stars" by Kevin A Codd, a very good read.
Buen Camino
Colin

I need help!

I decided I was going to walk the Camino Frances in July following a driving holiday in Northern Spain.

Once I'd decided I was going to walk, my husband told me of a book he'd read by Tim Moore - Spanish Steps... I also discovered there was a film too called The Way.

I know both have been mentioned here many times... so why do I need help? Well since July I've read the book 4 times and I'm just about to start it for the 5th time... and I've watched the film 3 times and last week invested in the DVD which arrived today... so tomorrow I have a feeling I'll be watching that again too.

What should I do? I'm becoming a bit narrow-minded... there must be other great reads that will nourish my Camino needs ;)

Keep in mind a movie is just that…… a movie.;)

And this movie may have things that you will see and feel but by no means is it the Camino, it´s just a movie.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look it up on Amazon - I think I love the Tim Moore book because of his humour and his particular slant on the Camino and I thank my lucky stars I wont be travelling with a Donkey.

MendiWalker - thanks for the reminder and of course you're right it is just a movie... but I'm itching to start my walk so I just love seeing the sights in the film. We did drive most of the route in the summer and my husband still thinks I'm a little crazy for wanting to walk it :)

many thanks again

I do hope you´ll enjoy your Camino. There are places to see which didn´t appear in the movie like the cathedrals in Burgos or Leon.
The best thing to do is try and take your time, enjoy the walk soak up all that you see around you. Listen to the locals whenever they
give you advice. Mingle with the other peregrinos. Enjoy the food and drink. The list is endless…………..

Regarding about being crazy………… so what! ;)

Buen Camino!

You could also look on the csj website and get the DVD "Within the Way Without" - very good.

To get some history mixed with pilgrim stories there is also "Among the Pilgrims" by Mary Victoria Wallis. Like Tim Moore's book, it is a few years old but interesting nonetheless. There is also Robert Ward's book - "All the Good Pilgrims". For humour you also have Jack Hitt's book - 'Off the Road".

That's a few places to start. Buen Camino, Janet

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I liked the ebook "my husband made me do it" by Margaret Wilson. Great read. After two trips and 4 trails/Camino's the addiction is not abating so good luck :)
Bobbie

I need help!

LOL. I understand completely! I have lost count how many times I have watched the movie 'The Way'. (with much eye rolling from my family). I just don't get tired of it! A friend recommended a book called 'My Way on the Way of St James' by Randall St Germain. I haven't ordered it yet but did read the first few pages on Amazon. If those few pages are anything like the rest of the book it is laugh out loud funny! Hope you enjoy :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
wow... many thanks! lots of great ideas... I think that should keep me going to a while... although there is a little part of me that's missing Shinto already :D

Keep in mind a movie is just that…… a movie.;)

And this movie may have things that you will see and feel but by no means is it the Camino, it´s just a movie.

Buen Camino!
Yes its just a movie - but if you get the DVD (as LesBras did) you will discover that there is a great three way between Martin, Emilio and David A and they review some of the "whys" behind the movie; some of the "hows" and also the background to the actors who play major and minor parts. Its very rewarding and I think will be the event to kick start our friend - even if its not until May 2014. Cheers

Hi Tyrrek -
I really loved Mark Shea's Camino documentary too. He was so totally without ego throughout it and was gracefully accepting of some pretty tough times. How he managed to lug all that camera gear all the way to Santiago was beyond me. The footage of him towards the end when he had wet hair really blew me away ... who did he remind you of?
For those Forum members who haven't seen this doco, I highly recommend it - well worth an hour or so of your time. His story will stay with you.
Cheers - Jenny

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.