• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'm back home!

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
After many months of daydreaming, planning and preparation, I set out for the month of June with two Camino friends to walk the Via Podiensis from Le Puy to Auvillar. It is a beautiful route, passing through several regions, each one different than the next. We opted to take the Cele Valley variant, dipping down to Saint Cirq Lapopie. The cliff areas and ancient villages were beautiful and was another feast for the eyes!

I have walked three Caminos in Spain; the full Frances, the Norte and Primitivo, but my opinion is that the Le Puy was the most difficult for me. There are so many ups and downs and sometimes they seemed relentless with no end in sight. I was thankful when the path would become flat for awhile and the last few days seemed easier. The many rocks, loose stones and roots and mud at times had me watching my feet quite often. We thankfully had very little rain in June and the beauty made up for any hardships.

The changing landscapes were lovely and the stone villages of French architecture are truly outstanding, with about 4-5 villages we passed through being on France's "100 most beautiful villages" list.

We booked ahead a day or two at a time, using the tourist office when available or having our current gite owner calling for us.
There were not many coffee/rest stops during the day, often only one at a halfway point, (no red or white San Miguel plastic chairs seen ahead to bring a smile), so we always carried snacks as a backup. My personal favorites were small cans of pate or salmon, cherry tomatoes, pre-made couscous salad, and chocolate bars with nuts.

Many of the communal dinners were delicious and I was surprised that often a plate of unique cheeses was passed around the table before dessert, but never with crackers. All very filling and after walking nearly 480 kilometers I only lost 2 pounds! I found it interesting that at breakfast the coffee is served in what we in America would call cereal bowls. I prefer a mug with a handle, but the French seemed fine picking these "bowls" up with two hands.

Oh yes, speaking of the French people, it was just as everyone else has said on the forum; they love to walk with friends, often in groups of approximately 3 to 8. Most are of retirement age, and there were very few younger people, maybe because it is a more expensive route. My daily average spent hovered around 50+ Euros per day. The bottleneck of French walkers we experienced sometimes in the beginning thinned out after a week or two. Very few of them spoke much English. Almost everyone from the northern European countries speak very good English, but they were only about 10% of the hikers. We only met about five people from the United States in a month, which was surprising, so in many of the villages the locals were excited to meet US citizens and always asked what state/city we were from. I got the impression we were a rarity in this less touristy part of France.

The three of us women walking together got along well, but it was interesting to note how we each viewed this Camino differently. One of them firmly declared that she was a "pilgrim", for the other gal it was a "vacation", and for me it was an "adventure".

Did I prefer one Camino over another?
I'd have to say I enjoyed them all equally, but each for different reasons, so I cannot choose a favorite...they are all favorites!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
After many months of daydreaming, planning and preparation, I set out for the month of June with two Camino friends to walk the Via Podiensis from Le Puy to Auvillar. It is a beautiful route, passing through several regions, each one different than the next.

I have walked three Caminos in Spain; the full Frances, the Norte and Primitivo, but my opinion is that the Le Puy was the most difficult for me. There are so many ups and downs and sometimes they seemed relentless with no end in sight. I was thankful when the path would become flat for awhile and the last few days seemed easier. The many rocks, loose stones and roots and mud at times had me watching my feet quite often. We thankfully had very little rain in June and the beauty made up for any hardships.

The changing landscapes were lovely and the stone villages of French architecture are truly outstanding, with about 4-5 villages we passed through being on France's "100 most beautiful villages" list.

We booked ahead a day or two at a time, using the tourist office when available or having our current gite owner calling for us.
There were not many coffee/rest stops during the day, often only one at a halfway point, (no red or white San Miguel plastic chairs seen ahead to bring a smile), so we always carried snacks as a backup. My personal favorites were small cans of pate or salmon, cherry tomatoes, pre-made couscous salad, and chocolate bars with nuts.

Many of the communal dinners were delicious and I was surprised that often a plate of unique cheeses was passed around the table before dessert, but never with crackers. All very filling and after walking nearly 480 kilometers I only lost 2 pounds! I found it interesting that at breakfast the coffee is served in what we in America would call cereal bowls. I prefer a mug with a handle, but the French seemed fine picking these "bowls" up with two hands.

Oh yes, speaking of the French people, it was just as everyone else has said on the forum; they love to walk with friends, often in groups of approximately 3 to 8. Most are of retirement age, and there were very few younger people, maybe because it is a more expensive route. My daily average spent hovered around 50+ Euros per day. The bottleneck of French walkers we experienced sometimes in the beginning thinned out after a week or two. Very few of them spoke much English. Almost everyone from the northern European countries speak very good English, but they were only about 10% of the hikers. We only met about five people from the United States in a month, which was surprising, so in many of the villages the locals were excited to meet US citizens and always asked what state/city we were from. I got the impression we were a rarity in this less touristy part of France.

The three of us women walking together got along well, but it was interesting to note how we each viewed this Camino differently. One of them firmly declared that she was a "pilgrim", for the other gal it was a "vacation", and for me it was an "adventure".

I'd have to say I enjoyed them all equally, but each for different reasons, so I cannot choose a favorite...they are all favorites!
I echo Sabine’s welcome back. Have you stopped walking, inside? Glad you have a day to take stock... or do you have more time?

I echo Sabine’s welcome back. Have you stopped walking, inside? Glad you have a day to take stock... or do you have more time?
Thank you, Kirkie! I am not melancholy...yet. It feels good to be home for now. Maybe it will come a little later like it usually does, the yearning for another.
Hey, I see you have a new Avatar. Nice! And may I ask how the "Not a serious thread" is going, or has it reached its final end? Lol.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I must say I am not ashamed to say the Le Puy route and Via Gebennensis are my favourites. So much variety in landscape, culture and food and everything is locally sourced. I have walked thousands of km on pilgrim routes in Europe over the last 12 years and just completed Madrid to Oviedo.
Madrid route, too much desert, unhealthy food if you were lucky enough to get some!,, total lack of fresh veges, awful bread and much worse value for money than France. San Salvador route had 2.5 days of spectacularly stunning landscape, rest was a slog with too much road walking. Love Santiago though.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We intend to walk this route next year. How many altimeters did you take one day? Regards, Marthy.
We were forewarned to take the first several days slow with some recommendations, so here's what we started with and so glad we listened to the advice of others.
1. LePuy to Montbonnet- 17.3 kilometers
2. Montbonnet to Monistral d 'Allier- 14.4
3. Monistral to Saugues- 12.6
4. Saugues to La Sauvage- 19.8
5. to Saint Alban- 13.5
6. to Lasbros- 21.4
From here on we averaged between 18-26 k per day depending on terrain and lodging options, so it varied quite a bit at times.
You will love many things about this route, but it is quite different than Spain!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Gitti, thanks for your insights. I had been thinking of the Madrid route, but with the desert you mentioned and not so great food, I may take it off my possibilities. Also, the San Salvador looked appealing and I had noticed others too saying just a couple of days held spectacular scenery...hmm, I think I'll go back to the drawing board!

@gittiharre do you regret walking the Madrid? Could you get veges if you were to prepare your own food?

@gittiharre do you regret walking the Madrid? Could you get veges if you were to prepare your own food?
Really hard to get veges. Often no shops and if you could get a meal the most vegetable like dish was insalata mixta....if it hadn't been for the wildflowers it would have been very monotonous after Segovia. No regrets though!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Gitti, thanks for your insights. I had been thinking of the Madrid route, but with the desert you mentioned and not so great food, I may take it off my possibilities. Also, the San Salvador looked appealing and I had noticed others too saying just a couple of days held spectacular scenery...hmm, I think I'll go back to the drawing board!
Interesting Chris. If you want to look at my pics etc send me a private message and I can send you a link to the album via email.
Also, the 2 or so days on the Salvador that are spectacular, really are. Most people seem to rush that bit. I opted to keep those stages as short as possible to savour the experience.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
After many months of daydreaming, planning and preparation, I set out for the month of June with two Camino friends to walk the Via Podiensis from Le Puy to Auvillar. It is a beautiful route, passing through several regions, each one different than the next. We opted to take the Cele Valley variant, dipping down to Saint Cirq Lapopie. The cliff areas and ancient villages were beautiful and was another feast for the eyes!

I'd have to say I enjoyed them all equally, but each for different reasons, so I cannot choose a favorite...they are all favorites![/QUOTE

Thank you for your beautifully detailed post. I so agreed with all that you said! It was so nice to vicariously remember our Le Puy walk from earlier this year. I certainly concur with the level of physical difficulty for one, and the concentration needed to negotiate roots and trees, and those frequent ups and downs! (Saugues , comes to mind) .Always as you are leaving a town early in the morning, before those legs were very warmed up! We had a lot of mud in April so that was always a factor, and some snow in the Allbrac Plateau , so we always needed to have our wits about us. The reward of natural beauty was always compensation, but in all ,I did find it a tough Camino. I missed the cheery ‘Buen Camino’ that we were often freely given on other Camino’s , but the friendliness was always there at tourist bureaus and wherever I tried to string my limited French together. We found the way marking excellent , but like you, we missed those red chairs you mentioned at mid morning! ( those custard tarts from Portugal! In particular!) . We did a different variant in the middle choosing to go to Rocamadour, instead of the Cele Route , and found that punishing- being so long with little in the middle at all, and walking what we estimated was nearly a 40km day! Friends we had walked with have shared how much they had appreciated the overall beauty of the Cele Route so me may try that one day. We loved the walk , and were sad when we finished in st Jean, as we were sad when we ‘finished’ in Santiago from Lisbon the year before.
I’m not sure if I am an ‘adventurer’, ‘vacationer’, or a true pilgrim , but I certainly found myself dipping into all those elements at various stages of my walk. There were a few moments of frustration, ( a few leg issues) , disappointment ( with some road walking , when we unwittingly got off the GR65) and exhaustion but equal measure, there was awe (with amazing vistas), moments of joy -at simple pleasures (a cafe- open!) , and just being outside in nature. beautiful spring flowers, impossibly green sunny paddocks, with a prevailing sense of inner contentment and gratitude that something much bigger than myself has made it all possible.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We were forewarned to take the first several days slow with some recommendations, so here's what we started with and so glad we listened to the advice of others.
5. to Saint Alban- 13.5
6. to Lasbros- 21.4
From here on we averaged between 18-26 k per day depending on terrain and lodging options, so it varied quite a bit at times.
You will love many things about this route, but it is quite different than Spain!
We head out in 10 days. These first few stages are what I have planned. Given what you know now about the ups and downs would you shorten any of these segments? I’m getting a little nervous because we struggled so much on the Tour Mont Blanc. Any advice is appreciated!

We head out in 10 days. These first few stages are what I have planned. Given what you know now about the ups and downs would you shorten any of these segments? I’m getting a little nervous because we struggled so much on the Tour Mont Blanc. Any advice is appreciated!
Very doable!

I felt I managed these first several days quite well. You kind of manage with the plans you have in place and persevere until you arrive at the daily destination. If you think the kilometers I've listed are too difficult, you probably could shorten the longer ones, but I felt it was doable.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Will definately consider this option. Is it even more difficult? As special as the Via Podiensis? Have not researched it yet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Gitti, I have read your blogs of the Geneva to Le Puy section and it sounds quite difficult. I then read your account of the Portuguese route. I'd thought about that route (combined with the Fisherman's route in the south of Portugal), but didn't get the impression you particularly enjoyed the Portuguese route. I'm not sure yet which way I'll go, and I've also considered the Via Francigena, starting from Lucca....Oh well, I've still got lots of time to ponder as I would probably start in April 2019.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It was difficult because I had a fractured foot from day one and sprain of lysfrancs joint. Otherwise would have been great so long as you keep shortish distances.
Portuguese has lots of road walking unless you do the coastal variante.
I am also keen on the southern Portuguese coastal trail..

Last edited:

Thank you for your review! It'll good information for me to know of the terrain. It sounds beautiful, but I know too well the hell of unrelenting hills and climbs after walking Italy and may shy away from this walk ( or filter it down a bit ) , if I choose it going forward. Thanks for your honesty. Glad you're back! Well done, Walker, Well done !

Hi Sophie, Which route did you walk in Italy? Was it worth the hardship and also did it have enough infrastructure in your opinion?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Sophie, Which route did you walk in Italy? Was it worth the hardship and also did it have enough infrastructure in your opinion?

Walked Florence to Assisi to Rome, in May/June of 2017. No infrastructure to speak of, the guide books available were grossly inaccurate, treacherous terrain. I walked with a young woman from Colorado ( big mountain climber ) who is also a retired US Air Force pilot...safe to say, if she could not navigate the guidebook used, it was off. If she didn't have a GPS we would be dead in the mountains. We only ran into three other small groups of walkers ( all seasoned walkers ) and a solo young man...all gave up :( , all had the same opinion of the guidebooks, terrain, treachery. Adding to the difficulty that time of year, was they had unprecedented amounts of snow the previous winter which created mudslides, washed out trails, fallen/uprooted trees, swelled/overflowed streams were rivers to cross...it was more hell than a walk with St Francis. Accommodations were few and far, and absolutely required reservations. It was indeed more costly than Spain. I would not at all recommend the route in the immediate future, but it was wonderful, walking put aside. I do hope it is cleared and marked and supported better in the next few years as the stops along the way are fabulous!
...and of course ending in Rome and seeing the Pope is without words :)

Thank you for your speedy reply and honesty, Sophie. I assume that you walked The Way of St. Francis, not the Via Francigena. Did you use Sandy Brown's guidebook? If and when I would do one of those two main routes in Italy, I was slightly more interested in the St. Francis way, but think I will put that one on the back burner. I have heard the VF is better waymarked.

Thank you for your speedy reply and honesty, Sophie. I assume that you walked The Way of St. Francis, not the Via Francigena. Did you use Sandy Brown's guidebook? If and when I would do one of those two main routes in Italy, I was slightly more interested in the St. Francis way, but think I will put that one on the back burner. I have heard the VF is better waymarked.
We had Sandy Brown's Guide, another by an Italian author was a bit more accurate, but sometimes lacked in the english translation, and the walkers we met had a Dutch guide. I hear people complaining about Brierly, etc...please know, THIS response is NOT that...The Way of St Francis in our experience really is way way off in the guides. I would suggest waiting a year or two, beginning in LaVerna and spending a day or two there beforehand in the magical forests and the fabulous monastery on the hilltop. Most everything before that was just crazy making...lol

**** I'm headed to the Camino Portugues in 28 days ( hopefully, as I'm currently on crutches ) and I am anticipating a much calmer, slower pace with less treacherous terrain...I need to de-traumatize myself...lol !

5. to Saint Alban- 13.5
6. to Lasbros- 21.4
Hi Chris, thank you for your distance recommendation for the first stages of the Le Puy route. I plan to start end of April 2019. I read of weather warnings at that time of year and am taking note. I've done a number of Spanish Caminos and the Portuguese camino. I might have further queries for you and others who are kind enough to post information. I will get the Miam Miam Dodo when newly published.

5. to Saint Alban- 13.5
  6. to Lasbros- 21.4
Camino Chris, Do you have your entire itinerary that you could share with me? Sounds like we both have the same idea about mileage...tho perhaps I was starting a bit too aggressively.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes of course! I too have done the full Frances and Portugues with my 2 pals. I will be 66 for Le Puy! I like to think I’m young st heart and body. Will definitely train for the hills🙏🏻

Absolutely and any other advice or favorite votes it b and bs. I can speak Spanish but no french😩, need to get on Duolingo for s few basics , like “I’d like a beer please...”

Via Podiensis Camino itinerary-
*favorite gites, (but all were very adequate).

June 2018

TOWN- LODGING
LePuy- L'Appart Hotel de Capucins
Montbonnet- Gite Priv l' Escole
Monistral d' Allier- La Repos du Pelerin
Sauges- La Mageride
Sauvage- Le Sauvage
Chanaleilles- Domaine du Sauvage*
Saint Alban sur Limognolay-
Hotel Chambres Les Genets
Lasbros- Gite Lasbros
Nasbinals- Hotel de France
Saint Cheley d Aubrac- Gite Andre
Espalion- Gite au Fil de l'Eau*
Golinhac- Gite L'Oree du Chemin*
Conques- Abbaye*
Livinhac le Haute- Gite La Magnanerie
Figeac- Gite du Gau* (2 nights)
Espagnac Sainte Eulalie-
Gite Communal d'Espagnac
Cabrets- Gite du Barry*
Arcambal-
Chambre d'Hotes le Relais du Pasturat*
Cahors- Gite Papillon Vert
Lascabanes- Gite Le Bouy
Lauzerte- Les Figuiers*
Durfort Lacapelette- Le Soleil Levant
Moissac- Gite Ultreia*
Auvillar- ? (can't remember)
Moissac- Gite Ultreia*

Hope this info can help. I used the English guidebook "Lightfoot Guide to the Via Podiensis" and an online version of "Miam Miam Dodo".

Hope my list can help you with your planning. The stars* are because my memories are more vivid, either because exceptional place to stay and/or because of the fantastic gourmet quality meals provided.
We did take one taxi ride from Golinhac to Conques. It was raining and we decided we wanted to arrive early in Conques to enjoy a full day. We did not regret it as it is incredible. Usually the Abbaye has to be reserved early. But it is worth it!
All other lodgings were secured a day in advance, except in Moissac, where we booked before we left on our trip by email.

Hope my list can help you with your planning. The stars* are because my memories are more vivid, either because exceptional place to stay and/or because of the fantastic gourmet quality meals provided.
We did take one taxi ride from Golinhac to Conques. It was raining and we decided we wanted to arrive early in Conques to enjoy a full day. We did not regret it as it is incredible. Usually the Abbaye has to be reserved early. But it is worth it!
All other lodgings were secured a day in advance, except in Moissac, where we booked before we left on our trip by email.
Thanks for the extra info Chris.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back