• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'm back!

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I recently returned from my third Camino, this time repeating the Frances route with three family members. It was quite busy as so many others have experienced. We often emailed private albergues a day ahead to reserve beds and that usually worked out for us and definately relieved some potential stress, especially after we were turned away in a popular village as all three lodgings in that village were "completo".

We walked the whole 800k in 40 days, starting April 12th, and averaged 13 miles a day. We only had one incredibly windy day with accompanying crazy pelting rain. It was upon leaving Castrojerez one morning and it kept up until 2pm. In hindsight I'm glad I experienced it, as it's one of those awesome Camino memories I will not forget! BTW, our Frogg Togg rainsuits kept us fully dry!

Although the last 100k was very busy, the "mass commercialization" I'd read about wasn't really all that bad in my opinion. After all, Santiago itself is full of wares for sale and most of us still love that city!

Surprisingly, there seemed to be much less toilet paper left near the trail this year than in 2015. I'm assuming it is due mainly to those incredible "ditch pigs". My hat's off to them! Thank you.

I think I will not walk the Frances route again as I find my interest lies in walking and experiencing new routes. I loved the Norte last year and although I loved the Frances the first time, repeating it was like putting on old shoes...very familiar and comfortable, but not as exciting as donning a new pair.

Upon arriving at "the end of the world", this time we walked the high route starting from the Finesterre lighthouse back to town instead of taking the normal main road and it was absolutely stunning! A new favorite of mine and I highly recommend it if you are visiting during the daytime instead of after sunset.

We spent two weeks afterward touring Portugal by car, which was a nice change of pace before returning home and has its own charms.

I already have tentative plans to walk the LePuy route with two seasoned Camino friends next June, Lord willing. I'm sure the research and planning will keep my mind occupied on rainy days between now and then...oh, and including spending time with all of you on the forum. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I already have tentative plans to walk the LePuy route with two seasoned Camino friends next June, Lord willing. I'm sure the research and planning will keep my mind occupied on rainy days between now and then...oh, and including spending time with all of you on the forum. :)[/QUOTE]

Hi,

I have just walked the Le Puy route and it was absolutely stunning. Loved it!

Petro

Congratulations to you and your family! I enjoyed reading your story. :) Do you have any pictures of the high route from the Finesterre lighthouse? Made me asking myself if I have a map of the route? I have to check..
You can see the route (gravel path) on google maps, satellite images. I have some pictures. I'm not tech savvy, but will try here. If it doesn't work you can pm me your email address and I'll send them that way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can see the route (gravel path) on google maps, satellite images. I have some pictures. I'm not tech savvy, but will try here. If it doesn't work you can pm me your email address and I'll send them that way.
I use my phone for the forum and it's acting up today. If you send start a conversation with me and give your email I will be happy to send some pictures.

Attachments

• 20170528_122925.jpg
    20170528_122925.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
That is a stunning picture, what a wiew!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.