• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'm Becoming Obsessed

Time of past OR future Camino
Want to walk 2wks in May 2016
I'm becoming obsessed with the Camino. Is this normal? I get on the forum whenever I can, I talk about it with friends, family and when teaching my fitness classes - responses run from negative (you can't do something like that on your own) to neutral(why do you want to walk for 2wks) to positive(done it, heard about it, go for it). I'm constantly looking at maps and making plans. Sometimes I get nervous about it sometimes excited but I really want to go with the flow and unwind. Am I going crazy?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sadly all too normal. Many of us get that way about our caminos. It's a week since I finished walking the Portugues (central route) and I'm already plotting my next trip. Crazy? - probably but enjoy it anyway :)

Ultreia!

Sadly all too normal. Many of us get that way about our caminos. It's a week since I finished walking the Portugues (central route) and I'm already plotting my next trip. Crazy? - probably but enjoy it anyway :)

Ultreia!
Your Camino has finished already? I've been thinking about you since you left 'cos I will be using the same Bristol flight as you did. You must have had a great Camino if you're 'plotting' already. Can't wait to get started the countdown is on!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I arrived home in the early hours of Thursday morning. Thinking of walking a pilgrimage route from Sundsvall in Sweden (on the Baltic coast) to Trondheim on the Norwegian coast. 500-odd km. Probably in early summer. Not very well supplied with cheap accommodation so I will take a tent and camp most nights. Should be quite a contrast.

I arrived home in the early hours of Thursday morning. Thinking of walking a pilgrimage route from Sundsvall in Sweden (on the Baltic coast) to Trondheim on the Norwegian coast. 500-odd km. Probably in early summer. Not very well supplied with cheap accommodation so I will take a tent and camp most nights. Should be quite a contrast.

Hope you have a great time :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Am I going crazy?
Yes. To take time away from the shallow poverties of life, the stresses of work, the distractions and noise of the everyday world . . . to slip into a world where all that matters is good conversation, kindness, gratitude, vino tinto and cafe con leche, the heart's posture of listening, the simple act of placing one foot in front of the other over and over again, and the amazing change in thought processes, values, and priorities . . .

The whole world should be so crazy!

Normal. Hmmm! probably not, and from whose perspective ?
- characteristic, Yes !!
But you can tell us, we understand all too well...
- it is under the pillow at nigt and you wake up early rearing to go....

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh man that is the best part! In the year after we walked my son and I were laughing over the (not so subtle) habit of trying to insert stories about the Camino into every conversation with everyone we met.
Last year I walked for a couple of weeks before I fell and messed up my ankle and ended my Camino rather abruptly. I left my pack and gear with my friend in France. It is killing me not to have my pack with me to comb through and prepare for next month when I am going again.
Become obsessed! Talk about it and read about it and watch The Way again and bore your friends - it really is half the fun :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Haha! Me too. I have 2 designated drawers for my Camino gear. My pack can be ready in a flash. I have done 8 Caminos now in various countries since 2006. Somewhere in the region of 5000 km. This year I will be doing 2. Simply because I have been diagnosed with an aggressive early stage cancer and I do not know where I will be on the health front. So I decided to go for it so to speak.

I'm obviously obsessed with planning mine. I feel as if it has all ready begun. I've been on several cross country camping trips in the past and when I return to "home sweet home", I always have a strange, indescribable "lost" feeling. As great as it is to return home, I almost feel like I don't belong in one place, even with what little routine or chaos my daily life has, I feel like I should not be inside four walls.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In the year after we walked my son and I were laughing over the (not so subtle) habit of trying to insert stories about the Camino into every conversation with everyone we met.
:D It's been three years, and I believe I've finally broken that habit; I can now hold my tongue. But it's time to go again. Buen Camino!

Hi Julie - what a fantastic thread! All the responses have been great. Thanks to you and to all who've responded.

I, like the majority of Forum members - am completely obsessed. At the moment I'm obsessed with preparations - weighing everything and discarding anything a bit bulky etc. - and it's over four months until I leave! Maggie's (Magwood) wonderful packing list is my model for my own list. The preparations have even included trialling Camino haircuts - ie a cut that will look reasonably stylish without using a hairdryer as obviously I can't take one on the Camino - way too heavy and bulky. I turned up at the physio a couple of weeks back with the new cut and Glenn (physio) said wow - you look different with the short hair. I explained why I had had the cut and he, knowing about ALL the other Camino preparations said to me: "Jenny, you're doing as much preparation as an astronaut who's going into outer space would do!" I have to say that sometimes it does feel a bit like that, but I'm loving it!!!

Cheers - Jenny

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Haha! Me too. I have 2 designated drawers for my Camino gear. My pack can be ready in a flash. I have done 8 Caminos now in various countries since 2006. Somewhere in the region of 5000 km. This year I will be doing 2. Simply because I have been diagnosed with an aggressive early stage cancer and I do not know where I will be on the health front. So I decided to go for it so to speak.

Wishing you healthy and safe Caminos this year and many more in the years to come.
Ultreia and Buen Camino
Carol

Welcome to the Club! Rambled on this pm with the receptionist as I was leaving work. Poor man.

Some of my spin class pupils volunteered themselves for one of my training walks today. Because of the forum I could answer their questions on such diverse subjects as why leaving human wee/other is not a good idea to tackling bed bugs to how many pilgrims do the Camino each year. Thankyou forum members and thankyou for everyone for making me feel 'normal' about my obsession.

Hi Julie - what a fantastic thread! All the responses have been great. Thanks to you and to all who've responded.

I, like the majority of Forum members - am completely obsessed. At the moment I'm obsessed with preparations - weighing everything and discarding anything a bit bulky etc. - and it's over four months until I leave! Maggie's (Magwood) wonderful packing list is my model for my own list. The preparations have even included trialling Camino haircuts - ie a cut that will look reasonably stylish without using a hairdryer as obviously I can't take one on the Camino - way too heavy and bulky. I turned up at the physio a couple of weeks back with the new cut and Glenn (physio) said wow - you look different with the short hair. I explained why I had had the cut and he, knowing about ALL the other Camino preparations said to me: "Jenny, you're doing as much preparation as an astronaut who's going into outer space would do!" I have to say that sometimes it does feel a bit like that, but I'm loving it!!!

Cheers - Jenny

I know all about weighing everything and I too am using 'Magwoods' packing list as a guide.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm becoming obsessed with the Camino. Is this normal? I get on the forum whenever I can, I talk about it with friends, family and when teaching my fitness classes - responses run from negative (you can't do something like that on your own) to neutral(why do you want to walk for 2wks) to positive(done it, heard about it, go for it). I'm constantly looking at maps and making plans. Sometimes I get nervous about it sometimes excited but I really want to go with the flow and unwind. Am I going crazy?
If you are going crazy, then it's a trip we're all taking with you. All Aboard!!! I am totally obsessed with getting ready and planning for my May/June Camino. My husband takes on this funny look, that to me is saying, "I'm trying to listen and show you respect and I know you're excited, but how much can you talk about it" kind of face. We both laughed about it when I pointed it out. He said that's exactly how he feels, but I can still talk to him about my plans. He's a keeper!!

Oh I blame THIS thread for my shopping yesterday! I started thinking about my pack (the one in France) and all the little ways I had ended up not liking it last year. So naturally I went right out and found a new one I am absolutely certain will be the most perfect pack ever! (Not too big, not too small, mesh to keep my back cool, perfect hydration...) and NATURALLY I found some sweet Patagonia underwear on sale and a couple of new pairs of Smartwool socks.
Now I am really getting excited!

This is exactly why I read these posts. To deal with the emotional anxiety of planning the next camino or first in my case. Reading all the posts reassures my own emotions that I'm not alone. Thanks to all the wonderful posts from the amazing community of pilgrims.
Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Familiar feeling :) Always visit me before traveling adventures. However I try to restrict the over-planing, which I feel is counterproductive. Instead having polished my packing list, I try to pack and unpack the backpack in complete darkness. I have found such skills to manage own stuff in a blind fashion add required confidence and are pretty useful on the trail.

I can't walk into a clothing store without thinking how suitable each garment would be for the camino. Or not. And I confess to having just ordered a silk fitted sheet (instead of the shroud-like feeling of a liner).

I can't walk into a clothing store without thinking how suitable each garment would be for the camino. Or not. And I confess to having just ordered a silk fitted sheet (instead of the shroud-like feeling of a liner).

This is sooo...........funny.
I'm exactly like @Kanga.
Haven't bought any clothing that isn't lightweight, or merino, or blister friendly in quite a long time :D
It's all about the Camino!!!
42 sleeps and counting........

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have found an additional "outlet" for being able to talk about the camino! I have zipped the lip with family members and longstanding friends, as I can sense they are quite happy about it but I don't want to wear out my welcome on the topic ~ but I frequently have opportunities to meet new people and so whenever I casually strike up a conversation with someone at the library, walking trails, nature center, museums, support groups I attend, or shopping (of which I am also now suffering from the same first thought in my mind "would this work on the camino?" type of thinking) anyway, I tell them what I have planned and then more times than not, their eyes light up and they tilt their head to side and say, "What? What is that? Tell me more!" and so I do....as someone so kindly did for me.

Even if this helps just one person hear the call and decide to go for whatever reason, it is worth it, because honestly it is has been a lifesaver for me this year and I haven't even walked yet. But like others have said "Your camino starts long before the walking begins" I am grateful.

Blessings...

I am totally obsessed. I sit here today cuddled into my down sleeping bag, in my favorite chair feeling lucky that I'm sick with a terrible cold and sinus congestion, so I can just sit and read more info on the camino. I don't have the energy for anything else, so I am trying to plan my "stages". Other than feeling like my eyes are going to pop out of my head, it's a good day. :confused: Can anyone tell me what the halfway point on the CF is supposed to be? I need to get to Santiago in time for my trip home. I'm trying to plan rest days. Thanks

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I too am totally obsessed, but that was a good thing, spent many months fine tuning my packing list, and wouldn't change much for my second camino. Even had to buy another lipstick

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I too am totally obsessed, but that was a good thing, spent many months fine tuning my packing list, and wouldn't change much for my second camino. Even had to buy another lipstick
What is one "luxury" item you took that you are glad you did?

I am totally obsessed. I sit here today cuddled into my down sleeping bag, in my favorite chair feeling lucky that I'm sick with a terrible cold and sinus congestion, so I can just sit and read more info on the camino. I don't have the energy for anything else, so I am trying to plan my "stages". Other than feeling like my eyes are going to pop out of my head, it's a good day. :confused: Can anyone tell me what the halfway point on the CF is supposed to be? I need to get to Santiago in time for my trip home. I'm trying to plan rest days. Thanks

What about the cold, then there is a wonderful remedy, scaring away everyone, including viruses, vampires and other nasty creatures :) It is a garlic. Not so popular nowadays, but in combination with camomile tee and some honey it brings me up in no time.
The halfway, yes it is about Sahagun. I felt there like in very special place. You can get there even a very nice certificate from a local church. Most importantly, leaving Sahagun, take the old Roman road, otherwise an alternative is pretty boring walk along a highway.

For me they were all essential, right down to the platypus as hot water bottle, have raynauds disease, so I could get warm after sitting outside of an evening

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
What is one "luxury" item you took that you are glad you did?
and one thing that you wouldn'
What about the cold, then there is a wonderful remedy, scaring away everyone, including viruses, vampires and other nasty creatures :) It is a garlic. Not so popular nowadays, but in combination with camomile tee and some honey it brings me up in no time.
The halfway, yes it is about Sahagun. I felt there like in very special place. You can get there even a very nice certificate from a local church. Most importantly, leaving Sahagun, take the old Roman road, otherwise an alternative is pretty boring walk along a highway.
Thank you. I will remember to take the old Roman road.

I was the same way last year, when planning my first "Portuguese" in July and contemplating turning "50"! . Now looking back, it's amazing how everything "fell into place" because of "Him". He is now making it possible to walk again in July, but this time I will be walking with my 20 y.o, son, PRICELESS! I do the same thing when I am "out and about", I talk to anyone who seems interested and have "peaked" interest in others. I belong to a local camino chapter and have met
and walk with some wonderful and interesting people, that alone is worth it. I hosted out first camino potluck last week and it started my "obsession again", my poor husband, especially since he won't be able to join me in July. It is very true
that your "camino begins when you even just start thinking about walking" and how it continues long after returning home! Bom Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Any advice about places to stay in Armenteira? I am doing my first Camino starting May 2, and I had planned on doing the Spiritual Variant. However, it seems like there are limited options for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back