• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'm confused about taxi service

Tumbleweed

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
Hello all :)

I'm having a hard time with the last leg of travel day 1. Getting to SJPdP from Biarritz. So far Express Bouricot and I have not been able to find anyone to share on Monday 02 September at 17:15 and I will not pay $100 to go solo.

Another taxi service said they were not available at that time to take me to Bayonne. If I taxi to Bayonne I can make the last train at 18:07.

Are there taxi cabs just waiting outside the airport or does one always have to make a reservation? If I have to make a reservation which service do I use?

Soo confused............thanks for your help,
Angela

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello all :)

I'm having a hard time with the last leg of travel day 1. Getting to SJPdP from Biarritz. So far Express Bouricot and I have not been able to find anyone to share on Monday 02 September at 17:15 and I will not pay $100 to go solo.

Another taxi service said they were not available at that time to take me to Bayonne. If I taxi to Bayonne I can make the last train at 18:07.

Are there taxi cabs just waiting outside the airport or does one always have to make a reservation? If I have to make a reservation which service do I use?

Soo confused............thanks for your help,
Angela
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/biarritz-to-saint-jean-pied-de-port.19270/

Bajaracer, I appreciate the link, but I've already viewed it. If I take the next available bus from Biarritz airport at 17:38, I most likely miss the last train on that day which departs at 18:07.

I've researched and researched and stick with my original question.

Are there taxi cabs waiting outside the airport or does one always have to make a reservation? If I have to make a reservation which service do I use?
Thanks again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Angela, all I can tell you is that when we arrived there were taxis outside and we were approached by another couple to share to St. Jean. It would have been €75 between us. That was in 2012. We could not use it as I was meeting my brother in Bayonne train station. Hope it works out for you.
Buen Camino.

Hi Angela. I had a similar experience to Wayfarer. There were taxis waiting at the airport, and one pilgrim was trying to gather together a group to go directly to SJPP in one. (We had plenty of time so just got the bus.) Assuming your flight arrives on time just jump straight into a taxi and go to the station (20-25 mins I think). Buen Camino!

If you are worried about getting a taxi the dispatcher's number in Biarritz is: 0033.559.03.1818

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Angela,

I didn't use them but they were recommended somewhere else on the Forum and responded quite fast. They give a "Pilgrim discount" as well. As I remember it was about 80 euros from Bayonne or Biarritz - HELETAXI - Taxi de Hélette <contact@heletaxi.fr>

Indy

Hey in April this year 4 of us shared a taxi from the airport to sjppd. Cost about 20 euros each. We all met at the airport or on the plane . Just ask around when you land. Sure there be someone there.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Angela, if you look on the Biarritz Airport website I think it gives a contact telephone number for general enquiries. They will be able to tell you about taxis. I'm sure that whenever a flight is due to land there will be taxis waiting outside the terminal.
Buen Camino.

When I arrived at Biarritz in April there were taxis waiting at the airport. They would be available to take you to Bayonne train station which should not take more than 15 or max 20 minutes. We had plenty of time and took the bus which also only took about 15 minutes to the river and then we walked to the station but a taxi will take you all the way to the station.
If the flight is late you will almost certainly find other pilgrims who need to get to SJPdP and have missed the last train who will be willing to share a taxi with you.
Don't worry, "the Camino will provide". You will experience and learn this very quickly.

It is only 4k to Bayonne train station from Biarritz airport. A taxi should get you there in 5-10 min (I think the local bus would be not much more than 10 mins). Then you would have lots of time to take the train (often a bus) to SJPDP

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My wife and I stayed the night in Bayonne (beautiful old town) then took the first train in the morning (it was a bus).

Another thought: If you're flying Ryanair one of their gimmicks is that they post a slightly long flying time so that -oh how marvelous -you arrive early. So you might arrive early. Your pack should qualify as carry on (unless you have too much stuff). Ryanair are baggage Nazis - so rigorously check that you meet the weight and dimension limits for carry on. Carry on will save you time at the airport.

A taxi would take at least 20 minutes to get from the airport to Gare Bayonne. The bus takes about 30 minutes.

If your scheduled arrival time is 1715 then your timings are too tight. Usually the airline advertises arrival time as touchdown on the runway. In my experience, planes almost never arrive on time, and even if it does then you need to allow time for disembarking, customs, luggage. Murphy's law applies. You will likely not catch 1807 train unless everything works like clockwork.

If I were you I would make reservations for a hotel in Bayonne and catch a train to SJPdP in the morning. Call it Jet Lag recovery. There is no point in starting the camino rushed and on the wrong foot. Allow the time needed for stress free travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I arrived at Biarritz in April there were taxis waiting at the airport. They would be available to take you to Bayonne train station which should not take more than 15 or max 20 minutes. We had plenty of time and took the bus which also only took about 15 minutes to the river and then we walked to the station but a taxi will take you all the way to the station.
If the flight is late you will almost certainly find other pilgrims who need to get to SJPdP and have missed the last train who will be willing to share a taxi with you.
Don't worry, "the Camino will provide". You will experience and learn this very quickly.

Its the "C" bus that goes downtown and requires walking across the river. Catch the #14 for Gare Bayonne.

Bajaracer, I appreciate the link, but I've already viewed it. If I take the next available bus from Biarritz airport at 17:38, I most likely miss the last train on that day which departs at 18:07.

I've researched and researched and stick with my original question.

Are there taxi cabs waiting outside the airport or does one always have to make a reservation? If I have to make a reservation which service do I use?
Thanks again.

Biarritz Airport website (Services/Access and Parking/Access)
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/access-car-parks/biarritz-airport-access.html

The website states "taxis are available outside the terminal building". Taxi operators everywhere know when the planes and trains arrive. No way to guarantee there will be one there waiting.

Search words Bayonne Taxi rendered this:
http://www.infotaxi.org/france_taxi/bayonne_taxi.htm

Pick one and call to make a reservation. If you do this make sure that you take the one you reserved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi T,

Last August I had to take a taxi (from outside arrival) to Gare Bayonne.
I told the driver I needed to take the 1455 train to SJPdP, and it was 1430 when I entered the taxi (I was alone without checked bag, only my backpack).
I was at the train station in 20 minutes but then I had to queue for train ticket at the counter. Luckily someone at the same queue told me to get to the train without ticket anyway. Once inside the train (very crowded), one officer told me to have a seat as there was one available, and that was when I told her I had no ticket, but she said, it was okay, it would come later, and indeed she came to check everyone and I bought my ticket directly from her (9 Euro).
I am impressed with my taxi driver to take me there in only 20 minutes, as it was a lot of traffic in the city. He took the back road and drove on the bus lane.
1) The taxi price without any reservation (outside the airport) = 35 Euro
2) Your 1715 time arrival should be reasonable to catch the 1807 train
Good luck and buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back