• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'm crazy!

Choweth

It's already started, still a full 11 months until I go and already getting the I'm crazy comments! Ha! It actually IS hard to explain the reason for going. I'm super excited. It's just frustrating because I can't explain how awesome this feeling...this calling, is! :D I am in no way defending my reasons but I just truly wish they understood this journey and that they had the same calling.

Candace

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Re: I'm crazy!

Nellie McLung. Canadian suffragette who saw her home state of Montana become the first place in the world to give women the vote.

Never apologise, never explain, get the job done and let them howl.

If your husband supports you then why are you defending your decision to go on the Camino?

If they are genuinely interested then tell them. Otherwise be polite and firm and say I'm going and that's that. You Do Not Have to Defend your Decision.

Edit addition. Oh yes, I sometimes say to people that in the medieval period pilgrims to Santiago were known as "Holy Fools" With a genuine sense of pride and history I am merely claiming my place in the tradition.

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Nellie McLung. Canadian suffragette who saw her home state of Montana become the first place in the world to give women the vote.

:p

Just thought I'd point out that Canada has provinces, not states, and Montana is certainly not one of them! Manitoba, on the other hand, is a lovely place. ;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
This is historically inaccurate. Nellie McLung was involved in achieving women's suffrage in Manitoba in 1916, a first for Canada, but well behind many other places such as Sweden, The Corsican Republic, the Pitcairn Islands and the Isle of Man. All these had granted women the right to vote before the beginning of the 20th century, some as early as the early 18th century, but in some early cases, the right was not held continuously.

The right to stand for parliament was granted at the same time in Manitoba, equally lagging behind the world leading states in granting that right. That was first granted in South Australia in 1894 when universal suffrage was also granted following an earlier grant of suffrage to property owning women in 1861.

Regards,

Choweth,

Your pilgrimage has already begun - your journey towards enlightenment and a new sense of self. Part of that process is differentiating yourself from the culture and community where you started, as you join the fraternity of pilgrims.

We have all experienced some shock and disbelief from our friends and family when we first announced our Camino intentions and plans, some more vehement than others. I daresay this has been the general case down through the ages, as fewer than 1% of Europe's population would have ever made the journey.

And after your Camino, when you return home ... you'll be considered the most boring person in town. You'll want to talk about nothing else, and no one will want to listen. Again, this is a very common experience. Why do you think so many resort to writing books and blogs? It's the only way we can talk through our stories with a listening audience.

The only person who can be counted on to be interested in your story - is you. A journal is a great way to process through these experiences.

Thanks Doug for setting me right. I should never type anything before 8.00am in the morning and especially without rechecking the facts.

The quote is correct and as well as being a suffragette she was a successful author and a loyal Methodist to boot.

Ditto Lindseh, I have never travelled across the Pond but I am aware Canada has provinces, not states. Why would you want to copy your unruly neighbours? :lol:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

If you're crazy so are the rest of us. Welcome to the asylum. Buen Camino! :D

Choweth

Wait until you tell them that you are going to do it again.

Buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Backwards is crazy, I walked less than one stage backwards, the yellow arrows are confusing in reverse.

Choweth said:
...still a full 11 months until I go and already getting the I'm crazy comments!
Simple: tell and show them what the fascinating Camino is all about. This Forum has the ingredients to convince others. Enjoy your preparations! :D

WooHoo! I'm crazy twice!! I walked SJPdP to Santiago last summer, and this summer I'm walking Santiago to the coast.
Enjoy these next 11 months as you gear up for the time of your life! :D
Buen Camino!! - Monica :arrow:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I am crazy, see my blog name, my first camino may 2010, sjpdep to Santiago, second camino sept 2010 sjpdep to burgos, sarrria to Santiago, third may 2011 sjpdep to Santiago/ finesterra/ muxia.2012 sjpdep sjpdep to Leon and sept Leon to Santiago, so crazy 5 times and starting again in 10 days time.

Add me to the list of crazy ones! :)

I quit my job so I can do the Camino this May. In my current work situation, the maximum I can go on leave is 3 weeks. Take almost 4 days off to fly to/from Singapore and that gives me about 2 weeks to do the Camino. I could either wait for 2 more years and be eligible for a sabbatical (which again has to go through approvals) or take matters into my own hands.

I first read about the Camino back in 2010, a short article in the local newspaper but I was immediately hooked. For reasons I am unable to explain, the Camino has been calling me eversince.

Lea, you are going to be a star of the Camino, I can tell. Enjoy your planning and be a bit crazy. (Take good walking boots/shoes though :wink: ) Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

A couple of things ............. :wink: Buen Camino!

Attachments

• dreamers (480 x 479).jpg
    dreamers (480 x 479).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 879
  • goals and dreams (461 x 329).jpg
    goals and dreams (461 x 329).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 871

Tyrrek that's so nice of you! Thank you. :D

David - lovely quote. I keep reading it again and again and again. I look forward into meeting all those people in the Camino.

:wink:

There are other jobs - there is only one life and only one Camino!

Buen Camino peregrina

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back