• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'm hot!

Time of past OR future Camino
please see signature
Background

When walking I normally generate quite a bit of heat, especially around the mid-riff. With minimal clothing I still have three layers: underpants, shorts (or longyi or sarong) and the bottom of the short sleeved merino top. Add to this the belly-band of my pack.

As a consequence all three layers often get get sopping wet. Winter, Summer, Spring and Autumn. I don't have a sense of smell, but I can imagine the effect on others who do.

I've tried a nylon rain "kilt". That sort of worked, but got a bit clammy and it's semi-see through.

My questions

1) Do others have this issue?

2) How do you solve it?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Background

When walking I normally generate quite a bit of heat, especially around the mid-riff. With minimal clothing I still have three layers: underpants, shorts (or longyi or sarong) and the bottom of the short sleeved merino top. Add to this the belly-band of my pack.

As a consequence all three layers often get get sopping wet. Winter, Summer, Spring and Autumn. I don't have a sense of smell, but I can imagine the effect on others who do.

I've tried a nylon rain "kilt". That sort of worked, but got a bit clammy and it's semi-see through.

My questions

1) Do others have this issue?

2) How do you solve it?
Hi Alwyn , I don't have this issue as you cal it so I can’t help you there.
Wish you well, Peter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's called man smell, that is why when you stop to get a bite to eat or drink for lunch you simply apologize and admit your smelly, as a warning to those who will want to sit with you. Usually the other walkers just accept the situation & why everyone takes a shower/washes the smelly clothes as soon as they find a bed for the eavening. Then you go find food, then you relax & go to bed.
Just outside Sarria I met a wonder family just starting there Camino I stopped for food & like you I was quite stinky. So I warned them & from 8 feet away we had a very nice conversation. It is just part of the equation, yet if you can try to be kind & use soap & deodorant some folks just give it up entirely. Looks seem to be not so important after a few hundred miles. The pretty are that way naturally & quite frankly everyone seemed attractive. Stinky or not.

Try some other type of underwear. Definately some lighter weight and vented and not cotton, maybe merino. Don't tuck in your shirt-if you are. Also, does this happen when your not wearing the pack belt?

Merino or ExOfficio underwear a bit pricey. I am just used to the merino base layer in preparation for my walk They don't hold the body order and are quick dry. I have traveled a lot and have used ExOfficio for years I don't carry more than the pair I wear and a clean set to change into after "soap and water". I also wash out he ones I have worn while bathing they are dry by morning and ready to pack. By the way the merino is really soft and comfortable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Daily washing with soap?

Try some other type of underwear. Definately some lighter weight and vented and not cotton, maybe merino. Don't tuck in your shirt-if you are. Also, does this happen when your not wearing the pack belt?

Underwear: I've got the lightest possible: 17 gram a pair, with the band well below the waist and well vented.
Shirt: never tuck this in.
Pack belt?: Once in a blue moon without the pack belt.

Action points to try so far:
daily wash with soap
walk with just the sternum strap done up

Like you, I could raise a sweat in a snowstorm. You are correct that even with a single top layer, one's midriff has three layers. However, I don't find that gets sweaty first. I normally find it's my head and upper body that is the biggest problem. I normally wear a hat and sun-protection mitts, both of which can add to the problem because they add a layer to a couple of regions of high heat transfer. I am not inclined to do without either of these for long walks.

I have tried some sweat-free walking techniques, which seem to basically involve walking more slowly to allow the sweat time to evaporate, doing its job of cooling your body. I think I could do this if it were important for water conservation, but where it isn't, I just keep my water consumption up and put up with being a bit sweaty.

Washing won't stop you sweating, but it might remove any odour before you seek out company - normally a good thing! I wouldn't consider walking without my pack waist belt done up except with perhaps the very lightest of packs. That would put the whole weight of the pack on one's shoulders - hardly a good outcome.

Ok my just be sweaty was not very helpful :)

I am now curious of your pack model? I used a Osprey Kestrel & the waist straps only had small width straps just to my hip bones & made out of mesh with pockets on top around 5" wide. I would sweat primarily on my back. Not on my sides were the pack rode. I also use only exofficio briefs but I like the smart wool products as well there very light weight stuff. In my tank in 120f or 48C I would use foot powder with as little fragrance I could find. That may help you somewhat. We all have areas that seem to create a lot of sweat

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I wouldn't consider walking without my pack waist belt done up except with perhaps the very lightest of packs. That would put the whole weight of the pack on one's shoulders - hardly a good outcome.

I've occasionally walked for short distances with the belly band not done up.

It is quite comfortable with just the sternum strap done up, as the weight is taken on the upper chest, well above the lungs. The potential problem is instability if I swing around. The only pressure I feel is on the front of the shoulders, just above the sternum strap, not the shoulders themselves. This is a feature of the frame design/size.

When the sternum is undone the pack is free to settle on my shoulders (whether or not the belly band is) and can become uncomfortable quite quickly.

I am now curious of your pack model?

I have a zPacks Arc Blast 52 litres (see http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml ). The main bag capacity is 39 litres with the side and back pockets accounting for the difference.

As well as looking for a lightweight pack (this one is 600 grams) I also wanted a back pocket to store wet weather gear (such as my poncho - also from zPacks) for easy access as well as side pockets for water bottles or sock (for changes en-route) or similar.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you've already got merino and sensible underwear and wicking and quick drying trousers ... I really don't know. I have started walking in running tights and a skirt to make walking while sweaty more comfortable and that works for me. Other than changing every so often to stay dry(er) have you tried a good anti-chafing cream? Then at least if everything you wear is wet you don't get chafing on top of that. Also if you are worried about the effect on others I find that a natural crystal deodorant will keep any and all odours at bay, and with merino and daily showers as well you should be fine.

I am not so sure. My approach is being sweaty while walking is okay, but I do like to shower at the end of the walk. I would be more worried if I stopped sweating when walking that there was something going wrong.
That is a very good point. I am thinking winter not hot weather on this continent. You are absolutely correct for Spain spring forward. Heat injuries are very much to be aware of as we have discussed in the past. How is your summer? Is your wife getting the excitement for your walk? I am hoping to get my wife over there soon, I asked her the other day if she would be willing to start in Madrid. A resounding no. SJPDP.. Darn "the way" :)

I have a zPacks Arc Blast 52 litres (see http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml ). The main bag capacity is 39 litres with the side and back pockets accounting for the difference.

As well as looking for a lightweight pack (this one is 600 grams) I also wanted a back pocket to store wet weather gear (such as my poncho - also from zPacks) for easy access as well as side pockets for water bottles or sock (for changes en-route) or similar.[/QUOTE]
I like the looks of your pack for simplicity, my pack has a mesh back as well but for some reason with the high humidity nothing would dry in side it so I had to make a drying points out side of it. Hopefully you have some attachment points. I wish I had not lost the contact info with a couple from NZ as they were in their 80s but they were amazing they live in the town that was destroyed by the earthquake. They were very well equipped. My suggestion would be to test other packs if possible. Do you have a camino group in your area? Or friends that pack into areas? Just an idea so you wouldn't have to buy, just test packs. As the type of Materials used can be very good at keeping the rain out but don't have good space for air.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also could sweat buckets in a blizzard but I find that clean sweat doesn't smell. A thorough daily shower with soap and washcloth, as well as cleaning tech underwear/ undershirt and sock liners as soon as possible after arriving at the albergue every day without fail, keeps me smelling like a daisy (or at least like Dial, Arrid and Woolite). I usually wash my outside shirt daily or at least every second day and my shorts / merino wool socks every two or three days.

Once sweaty tech underwear is left sweaty and rolled up in a plastic bag for a day or so, it will stink every subsequent time it gets wet with sweat o water.

We have become so afraid of smelling bad! Sweating is good. Staying well hydrated will keep the smells minimal, together with all the advice above, especially daily showers. Also, keeping damp woollens/underwear in a plastic bag will cause most articles to smell even when clean (imho)

I just wouldn't worry at all about being sweaty. Almost everyone who's walking or just stopped walking will be some varying degree of sweaty. I find sweat doesn't start to smell until it's old, so if you wash yourself and your clothes every day when you reach the albergue you'll be completely fine, smell-wise. And camino is such a non-judgemental place - nobody is going to judge someone for being sweaty while walking 20+km in the sun. Sweating is a natural human reaction to cool your body. Nobody (well, almost nobody) looks good while they're trekking.

I also wouldn't be warning people and keeping your distance while you're feeling sweaty, as someone else said. There's really no point isolating yourself from your fellow pilgrims because you're self-conscious about your natural bodily functions.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you have a poor sense of smell, how do you know you smell.... unless others have told you.

The mid part of the body doesn't usually generate smells, certainly not like the underarms and perhaps the groin area. Washing and underarm deodorant should rid you of most of the smells.

Button shirts can be helpful too because you can leave several buttons undone (top and base buttons).

Underwear traps a lot of heat and moisture. If you wear modest shorts (with the longer leggings) or jeans, you may not need underwear if you are scrupulous about cleanliness and if you make sure no-one could ever detect the 'no underwear' (that would be unforgivable).

That's about it.

@AlwynWellington do you think the fabric on the backpack belt is to blame? I'm wondering if you can change that in any way.

I would not change the merino clothing (I'm a fan) but you could look at New Zealand Silkbody pants - not sure how they would wear, maybe too fragile for walking, although I wear their tops - so comfortable - a combination of silk and merino with a tiny bit of cotton. I've just looked at their website to see what they have and found they are having a 20% off sale. Here are the mens pants http://www.silkbody.com.au/man/pants.html

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.