• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'm leaving on a jet plane!

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
Hi all!
Just today after much contemplation for several weeks, my son and I have booked round trip flights to Italy. We leave on September 26th to walk a 300 mile portion of the Via Francigena pilgrimage from Lucca to Rome. It has been on my bucket list for a few years and I love Italy. I have never planned a Camino in such a short amount of time, so I have much research to do and have now ordered the guidebook "Via Francigena part 3", written by Sandy Brown. I will be searching the forum, a few websites, and watching some Youtube videos in preparation...can't wait! I hope there will be no glitches in our world situation and that all plans we make will go smoothly.

If any of you have walked this section of the Via F. and have "words of wisdom" or tips to share I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks in advance!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all!
Just today after much contemplation for several weeks, my son and I have booked round trip flights to Italy. We leave on September 26th to walk a 300 mile portion of the Via Francigena pilgrimage from Lucca to Rome. It has been on my bucket list for a few years and I love Italy. I have never planned a Camino in such a short amount of time, so I have much research to do and have now ordered the guidebook "Via Francigena part 3", written by Sandy Brown. I will be searching the forum, a few websites, and watching some Youtube videos in preparation...can't wait! I hope there will be no glitches in our world situation and that all plans we make will go smoothly.

If any of you have walked this section of the Via F. and have "words of wisdom" or tips to share I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks in advance!

Nice CC.

Have a splendid time.

I would love “Live on Camino” posts.

Do come back again.

Buen camino.

The "normal" itinerary for that stretch is about 18 days. I have chosen 25 days total for a bit of sightseeing along the way, and "whatevers".
It does sound wonderful Chrissy. Efren Gonzalez ‘ YouTubes have some beautiful footage.
We leave on September 26th to walk a 300 mile portion of the Via Francigena pilgrimage from Lucca to Rome. It has been on my bucket list for a few years and I love Italy.
& you’re going to have time to stop and look about more with those extra days 😍
Buon cammino Chrissy.
Edit : and to your son
That makes it even better … walking with your son.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buen Camino!
I'm jealous, but then again I'm jealous of everyone who is currently on the Camino or just about to go.
Well, I know you will be back again, and in the meantime you stay busy by helping to keep the forum humming along smoothly with your knowledge and good advice.
BTW, I hope your arm has been healing up nicely for you since your surgery.

It's a fantastic section and very popular with Italians so you shouldn't be lonely. Take some time in Lucca to walk the wonderful walls there. It's a complete circle and you can even hire a bike and ride it. Beautiful views of the countryside you'll be seeing up close.

Attachments

• IMG_1846.JPG
    IMG_1846.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1848.JPG
    IMG_1848.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1849.JPG
    IMG_1849.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 28
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi all!

Buon cammino! Where are you currently? Do feel free to ask specific questions by DM.

I bought the same guidebook and it arrived earlier this week - it is the only VF book I have found that resembles the Camino guidebooks in quality and quantity of information. I'll be doing the same Lucca to Rome journey as you next May, so I look forward to hearing any insights you gain from your walk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have a great walk Chrissy, it's a very special part of the world. Having said that the first day of your walk, out of Lucca, is one of the least interesting of the whole VF.. If I remember correctly, it's pretty much built up and road walking most of the way.

I am close to finishing a book entitled "The Way to Rome" by Hilaire Belloc. If by chance you love literature, this might be something of interest to you. He records his walk from France to Rome in the second decade of 1900s. As he enters Italy you might find yourself walk his same path, but from one hundred years earlier.
His peace be with you.

I'd suggest that a start at La Spezia might be worth considering, from where the coastal route starts to head inland towards the main Francigena. Lucca itself is lovely, but the section immediately south of the city not so much, and indeed pretty much the only genuinely boring part of my own Way to Rome after passing Genova.

Of course, if you have your "reasons" to start at Lucca, then so be it !!

You'll love it certainly.

Just remember to add a little extra for your food budget when passing through Tuscany - - it's delicious, but quite pricey.

The Via Romea is the only Camino I've ever done where I put on weight ... 🍲

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen Camino! We did the same route in late May but only as far as Buonconvento. We used the Sandy Brown book and found it very good as far as route finding. The waymarking is generally very good . Look for the red or blue striped stickers on utility poles, etc. the large brown signs are less common and often will denote just the route for cyclists.
As stated earlier the first few kilometers out of Lucca are relatively miserable road walking but we found the rest of what we did starkly beautiful.
One tip, as you enter Fuccechio, ( probably day 2 or early 3) the Way leads up a long steep set of stairs. There is however an elevator which we discovered only after climbing the stairs.
And if you have time , read “ A Pilgrimage to Eternity” by Timothy Egan , at least the last few chapters that describe important things to see on the stretch you will be walking. (And describes a very good restaurant in Lucca)!

Buon Camino. Just finished the 1st 1/2 of the VF from Canterbury to Martigny and am already planning the second 1/2 for next summer. I look forward to seeing your posts and wish you a wonderful walk with your son.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all!

It is quite a tough walk through Tuscany, undulating terrain but absolutely stunning. Plenty of Airbnbs and nice restaurants.
you will love it !!!

Hi all!

Hello Camino Chrissy. You will love it. I did the entire VF just prior to the Covid shutdowns and it is one of my favorite camino's to date. Lucca to Rome is amazing. I actually took a day off while I was in Lucca - beautiful place to spend some time. I really don't see any glitches for you. The worst I had to deal with was making sure I always had enough water. We were getting 40C+ days and it didn't take long to drain a couple of water bottles. The trails are well marked so although a guidebook is recommended, you will find the signage excellent. The Tuscan scenery is gorgeous. If you want any specific detail, please feel free to DM me anytime and I think I can provide the information you need. You and your son will love this trip.

Wishing you the very best on this marvelous trip.

Buenas tardes Chrissy. Te recomiendo la guia-web de la Via Francígena de Gronze.com, es on-line y es completamente gratis (all free, it is not necessary registration, no subscription): https://www.gronze.com/via-francigena
Está recién escrita y es muy completa. Si no hablas español, entra con Chrome o otros navegadores, o con Google traslate, y la tendrás traducida a tu idioma habitual: inglés, francés, italiano.......... Espero que sea una buena ayuda para los amantes de esta bellísima ruta!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Camino Chrissy What a fabulous adventure you have ahead. I will be mirroring you, leaving October 4th to start the Via di Francesco, the Way of St Francis, 500 km from La Verna to Rome. Maybe I will see you in Rome?? I hope to arrive there Oct 25th if all goes well. I'm sure with your head start you will beat me there, even with your "whatevers." ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Elle,
I arrive back in Rome on October 18th or 19th, so will miss the opportunity to meet you.🙁 I originally considered "The Way of St. Francis" as I love Assisi and that area, but it has more difficult terrain and less waymarking, so I chose the Via F. and it looks like a great alternative.
@jungleboy mentioned to me that he is doing the same route as you around the same time.
Have a wonderful Italian Camino! I have followed some of your other adventures and will look forward to this one, too.

@Camino Chrissy What a fabulous adventure you have ahead. I will be mirroring you, leaving October 4th to start the Via di Francesco, the Way of St Francis, 500 km from La Verna to Rome. Maybe I will see you in Rome?? I hope to arrive there Oct 25th if all goes well. I'm sure with your head start you will beat me there, even with your "whatevers." ;)
Oh my gosh, I am starting from La Verna on Oct 5th!!! But could easily adjust one day. That’s crazy!

Last edited:
Lucca itself is lovely, but the section immediately south of the city not so much, and indeed pretty much the only genuinely boring part of my own Way to Rome

Echoing @JabbaPapa 's comments, the first two days, Lucca to San Miniato, can be missed. But since you are in that area you could use the time to visit Pisa (and it's leaning tower) and Florence (which needs no comment). There are direct trains from Lucca for both

San Miniato station is on the Florence-Pisa line and there is a bus which takes you to the lower town (Basso) a couple of miles away. There is also another rather tiny bus that can take you from Basso to upper town and its narrow roads. Stay in upper town if possible as the views are again, not to be missed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You will have lots of fun! I’m currently on the VF having walked from London and I crossed into Italy about 4 days ago. I’ve heard others comment on several other VF specific forums that this year it’s comparatively busy from Lucca to Rome and people are experiencing some difficulty finding accommodations. It’s not like the Camino Frances which has loads of options. You might want to have a look at that before you go. Also someone on this thread said that the first stage out of Lucca is poor walking, but that has changed. There is a new route on that stage and you might check Sandy Brown’s Cicerone website as he has posted a map and route description. I’m planning to walk it when I arrive there in about 3-4 weeks from now. Hope this helps. Enjoy!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Chrissy. So jealous! The BBC did a celeb programme a couple of years ago "Pilgrimage, the road to Rome". Quite a good programme and will help whet your appetite for your adventure
Thanks, David! I will see if I can get access to viewing it.

Hi all!

How exciting for you and your son! I was in Italy years ago, but I never walked a camino there. Have a wonderful time!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh my gosh, I am starting from La Verna on Oct 5th!!! But could easily adjust one day. That’s crazy!
Well, the odds are crazy indeed. Even if you didn't adjust, most likely you would catch us. However, if you want to adjust, I wouldn't mind!!! 😉 We have the night of the 3rd reserved in the dormitory of the Sanctuary. Please keep me posted!

Well, the odds are crazy indeed. Even if you didn't adjust, most likely you would catch us. However, if you want to adjust, I wouldn't mind!!! 😉 We have the night of the 3rd reserved in the dormitory of the Sanctuary. Please keep me posted!
Elle, I hope it works out for you and Nick to meet up. Post a photo if you do!

I’ll send you a PM so we don’t hijack Chrissy’s VF!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello, I will be walking in the opposite direction, starting from Rome on 5th October, just going as far as Colle Val d'Elsa this time, so we are likely to see each other on the path at some point!

Hello, I will be walking in the opposite direction, starting from Rome on 5th October, just going as far as Colle Val d'Elsa this time, so we are likely to see each other on the path at some point!
🙂Do you know yet when you will be walking through Siena if you have been pre-booking or the daye you end in Colle...?

🙂Do you know yet when you will be walking through Siena if you have been pre-booking or the daye you end in Colle...?
Yes I will be arriving late afternoon of 17th, and staying until the morning of the 20th. There is a lot to see so I want to make the most of it. I have prebooked everything! I can't bear to worry about where I will stay so its all arranged. The 20th I'm staying in Abbadia a isola then walking to Colle Val d'Elsa and getting on the bus to start my journey home.
I expect we will pass each other when you are nearer Rome.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back