• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'm off at last

rioja routard

Hi pilgrims / pèlerins / pelegrinos

Fly to Santander tomorrow, overnight train to Ponferrada, then straight onto Camino. My backpack is 5.5 Kg and I'm REALLY pleased about that. I assume Ponferrada is around 200km from Santiago; as I fly back from Santiago de Compostela on 9 September, if I do around 30km a day I should make it? However not pressuring myself, just want to enjoy the way of St James. As I've said before I did Burgos-Ponferrada in July, in all that suffocating heat!

I need to regroup my strength and face Court when I get home to restore the previous rights I had to see my children. The Camino will give me that.
Anyway Buen Camino to everyone

PEACE

A selection of Camino Jewellery
James, Ultreya and sus eia. Thank you for sharing your inner and outer journey with everyone. I have 30 days and counting til I begin. It seems so long and yet so short. John

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm back, refreshed but sad it over

Hi everyone,

Ivar was right, it was a furnace out there. Continued from Ponferrada, where I last left off, and did Santiago in 6 days walking, 123 km via Samos, I think? No plans where to stop, just stopped when tired. I can not say how much kindness there is from the Spanish people who run bars, restaurants and Albergues. It was a bit of a circus on the last 110 km but people live as they must, they have their own codes. My priority was to walk, I thought about accomodation when I was tired of walking. Still met some really good people out there; Denise from Milan with her dog who had walked from Logrono and Phoebe from Cork who had walked from St Jean Pied de Port. She continued to Finistere.
Bit spooky walking through smouldering forests. All my spiritual objectives were achieved. I thought about this ancient way, soaked with purpose and belief. It was a very special feel to it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to experience the power of the Camino.

Had lunch at a really nice Albergue but too early to stop. Seemed really cosy and friendly, Xan Julian, the Santiago side of Palas de Rei.

Went to mass at the chruch in Sarria and as the sacrement was been taken some French girls from Paris (pilgrims) started singing which was really beautiful. It was very moving, perhaps one of my best memories of what I have so many.

It is so addictive, walking, praying with the feet. Feel like doing some more next year from Roncesvalles, who knows?

Many thanks to all the contributors on this site, your information has been of great value and thanks to Ivar for a great job, and warning me about the sweltering September heat! Gracias.

Anyway Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back