• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I'm Off then...OOPS!

Arn

Veteran Member
My apologies to Hape Kerkeling for taking the title of his worldwide bestseller about how, in 2001, he was lost and found himself walking the Way to Santiago. At the time, this famous German comedian was dealing with a personal tragedy. He wasn't sure who he was and where his life was going. Nevertheless, the book was a great success in Germany. To this day, he gets credit for increasing German participation in Camino. His book is now an international bestseller, translated into eleven languages and has sold over three million copies. The movie only expanded his reach and, once again, increased the number of pilgrims.
In some ways, I am at a crossroads in my life. That said, I truly know who I am and where I am going. I'm going on Camino!
I first considered walking the Way in the early 2000s and joined the Forum in 2007. Over the years, many threads speak of rushing to find a bed (sans bedbugs), how to travel from where you are to where you want to begin, how much your pack should weigh, and who is a real pilgrim. Today we worry that COVID remains just around the corner, a corner many of us are not willing to turn. Well, not yet in any case.
On August 25th, I board a plane in the USA and fly into Madrid. My initial plan takes me by train to Pamplona, remain overnight, and then take (share) a taxi to SJPDP. A stop at Orisson begins a leisurely walk to Pamplona, where I expect to arrive on September 1st.
I've purposely planned, not to prepare very much. Although I have some stops I'd like to revisit (the Peaceable Kingdom), I have a plane to catch on October 5th; for the most part, I'll let the Camino lead the Way.
I hope that pilgrims on or who are about to commence their Camino will encourage, by their experiences, long-time and first-time pilgrims to usher in a Kirkeling-like wave for Holy Year 2021-22.
Buen Camino,
Arn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Arn, I just loved that book. Time to find another copy, I gave away the first one. The title and the content are so different from a book I bought today in a special stall in Dunlaoghaire (Go on! Try to pronounce it!) market, but the effect on me is similar: I have to read this! Today's title: Did you hear Mammy died? I should stop hijacking your beautiful post, but look up the title to get an idea of the content. And muy buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Arn, I just loved that book. Time to find another copy, I gave away the first one. The title and the content are so different from a book I bought today in a special stall in Dunlaoghaire (Go on! Try to pronounce it!) market, but the effect on me is similar: I have to read this! Today's title: Did you hear Mammy died? I should stop hijacking your beautiful post, but look up the title to get an idea of the content. And muy buen camino!
Done Learly or Done Larry or Done Learie
Take your pick...its more regional than national

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Done Learly or Done Larry or Done Learie
Take your pick...its more regional than national
Dun Leary: Fort of Leary was named after a chieftain of that name. In 1821 the name was changed to Kingstown to honour the visit of George IV. In 1920 we got rid of that name and it was officially given back it's proper Irish name, Dún Laoghaire.

There are two pronunciations, by far the most common: dunleary
Native Irish speakers would pronounce it something like: doon-layrreh

I have to confess I couldn't finish Kerkeling's book, I found his writing style irritating and self important beyond words. But I do appreciate it was a personal journey for him and I'm glad he found himself..

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My apologies to Hape Kerkeling for taking the title of his worldwide bestseller about how, in 2001, he was lost and found himself walking the Way to Santiago. At the time, this famous German comedian was dealing with a personal tragedy. He wasn't sure who he was and where his life was going. Nevertheless, the book was a great success in Germany. To this day, he gets credit for increasing German participation in Camino. His book is now an international bestseller, translated into eleven languages and has sold over three million copies. The movie only expanded his reach and, once again, increased the number of pilgrims.
In some ways, I am at a crossroads in my life. That said, I truly know who I am and where I am going. I'm going on Camino!
I first considered walking the Way in the early 2000s and joined the Forum in 2007. Over the years, many threads speak of rushing to find a bed (sans bedbugs), how to travel from where you are to where you want to begin, how much your pack should weigh, and who is a real pilgrim. Today we worry that COVID remains just around the corner, a corner many of us are not willing to turn. Well, not yet in any case.
On August 25th, I board a plane in the USA and fly into Madrid. My initial plan takes me by train to Pamplona, remain overnight, and then take (share) a taxi to SJPDP. A stop at Orisson begins a leisurely walk to Pamplona, where I expect to arrive on September 1st.
I've purposely planned, not to prepare very much. Although I have some stops I'd like to revisit (the Peaceable Kingdom), I have a plane to catch on October 5th; for the most part, I'll let the Camino lead the Way.
I hope that pilgrims on or who are about to commence their Camino will encourage, by their experiences, long-time and first-time pilgrims to usher in a Kirkeling-like wave for Holy Year 2021-22.
Buen Camino,
Arn
1629706675422.png

Buen Camino,
Arn
We can only walk our first Camino once, and yours is about to start. Enjoy! “Buen Camino!” 🏃‍♂️ 😃 👍 I loved “I’m Off Then” and it’s among my favourite Camino books.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen Camino Arn! I wish we were walking with you! We’ll have to settle for keeping up with your posts. All the best - Ultreia!!
Cullen

€46,-
I wish you buen camino! Six years ago, like you I left home on August 25, and began walking from SJPDP a couple of days later; I arrived in Santiago early October. It was a wonderful time.

Buen Camino,
Arn
Sit down, buy yourself an ice-cold beer, and another one for me, to cheer your Camino: I'll pay for both when we meet on the Way.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.